Start by marking “Feet, Go to Sleep” as Want to Read:
Feet, Go to Sleep

Feet, Go to Sleep

From the New York Times bestselling author of Miss Brooks Loves Books! (and I don’t) comes a gentle bedtime book that includes a proven relaxation technique parents can use to help their little ones go to sleep after an exciting day.

The sun has set and dinner is done, but Fiona is still excited about the day and is not at all ready for bed.

So her mom helps her settle
Published May 12th 2015 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published July 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Feet, Go to Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feet, Go to Sleep

Liviania
May 24, 2015 Liviania rated it really liked it
When I saw the cover of FEET, GO TO SLEEP, I knew my niece would enjoy the book. The little girl wearing glasses and doing a headstand would definitely appeal to her. (My niece is currently working on her aerial and generally terrifying any adult in her vicinity.) It's also aimed right at my nephew's age group.

Barbara Bottner's text walks that little girl, Fiona, through going to sleep, body part by body part. Maggie Smith's images work well with the text. The book has a dual-image layout, where
QNPoohBear
Jun 05, 2015 QNPoohBear rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This charming, colorful picture book is for anyone who has trouble falling asleep. Fiona's mind is still wide awake when it's time for bed. Her mom talks her through sending her body parts to sleep - starting with her feet. Fiona's mind flashes back to what her body parts were doing at the beach earlier that day. The illustrations are big, bright and bold. The illustrator really captures a day at the beach very well. It made me think of days at the beach with my siblings when I was little and ...more
Tasha
May 11, 2015 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
In a house on the beach, Fiona doesn’t want to go to sleep. She’s had such an amazing day that she doesn’t want it to end! But she is just a little tired after all that they’ve done. As she climbs into bed, she starts with her toes, telling them to go to sleep. She tells her feet next, remembering how they loved stomping in the waves. Then come her knees that had held her strong on the sand as she build a castle. Her legs are the next to go to sleep, after spending the day running. Her tummy ate ...more
Traci Bold
Jun 12, 2015 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
This is the best bedtime book I have ever read to calm children down at bedtime to get them to sleep. Barbara Bottner uses all of the senses to help the reader meditate on calming their body to be able to rest and sleep peacefully.

Her use of illustrations and prose to tell the story are a perfect combination for the excited youngster who needs to get some sleep.

Calming yet fun in recalling the excitement for each body part that day.

Great tool for any parent, caregiver, etc. In fact, I myself tr
Barbara
Ideal for sharing at bedtime, this picture book follows a little girl named Fiona who goes to sleep gradually, starting with her toes and ending with her eyes and her own racing thoughts. Her relaxation techniques are useful for just about anyone, including a hyperactive girl who is still excited from her day at the beach. The watercolor, gouache, fabric, and digital media illustrations show off different perspectives since some of them showcase close-up views of Fiona's toes, knees, and arms, ...more
Lorie
Dec 18, 2015 Lorie rated it really liked it
A little girl who is having trouble going to sleep tries to relax by recounting her active day at the beach and focusing her attention on each part of her body as she remembers how she used them that day.

The clever meditation concept of this story begs for it to be read at bedtime. The appealing illustrations all done in a cool color palate with a mixture of water color, gouache, fabric and digital media set the tone for the bedtime setting of the story. I would recommend this book for purchase
Sara Grochowski
In Feet, Go to Sleep, Fiona remembers an exciting day at the beach as she slowly works up from her toes to her eyes, telling her weary body to go to sleep. This great read aloud couples a sweet summer story with a simple meditation technique that is sure to put your little one right to sleep.
Lindsay
Jan 12, 2016 Lindsay rated it liked it
I think this could be a great parenting tool for fidgeting bed time delayers, but the format could also be confusing for a younger audience. Perhaps a read through the beach day and then the relaxation technique would be more successful for the littlest. I'd have given it a higher rating but for that.
Lynn
Nov 10, 2015 Lynn rated it really liked it
All parents can relate to trying to get their children to sleep, and this is a perfect formula for helping them remember the day and unwind.
As each body part is named, we see the child in bed and behind that small frame, the event mentioned spread out. Nighttime blue tones are a perfect match for the text.
Juliana Lee
Jan 09, 2016 Juliana Lee rated it it was amazing
I love the simplicity of this story. Fiona remembers how each part of her body enjoyed the day and puts herself to sleep bit by bit. It’s a clever idea that children (and parents) will love trying for themselves at the end of a long day.
Nanci Booher
Jul 25, 2014 Nanci Booher rated it really liked it
Thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for access to this story. It was fun to watch the little girl put different parts of her body "to sleep" after a long day at the beach.
Natasha
5 early literacy practices: play - have kids stretch their bodies and think of and act out other things to do with those body parts in the story.

6 skills: vocabulary (gripping, edge, toasty, tang)
Carol
Cute bedtime story that reminds me of how my mom had to help me settle down some nights as a child. The same tricks I use with my own son.
Jason
Jun 18, 2015 Jason added it
Shelves: picture-books
I've heard about parents using this tactic to get their kids to settle, but I don't think it would work on me. My monkey mind rules over all.
Amanda
May 27, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
There is so much to love about this book: multi-cultural characters; parts of the body (for concepts); great way to teach children to calm themselves; cute pictures; relateable story. Just loved it.
Meg
Vera
Vera rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2015
Brenda Steffens
Brenda Steffens rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Audra
Audra rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Kara Gilbert
Kara Gilbert rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
PWRL
Aug 15, 2016 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-new
A
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Abigail
Abigail rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it it was ok
Shelves: bedtime, sleep, relaxation
A bedtime story about how a little girl relaxes each part of her body.
Holden
Holden rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Laurie Arnez
Laurie Arnez rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Amanda Augsburger
Amanda Augsburger rated it really liked it
May 19, 2015
Read  Ribbet
A good bedtime story as a child puts each body part to sleep by remembering a fun day at the beach.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Barbara Bottner, New York Times best-selling author, is a screenwriter, TV writer, and writing coach, who began her multi-hyphenate career as an artist and actor. Designing off-Broadway sets in the ’60s led her to performance and following her career in theatre, she began writing and illustrating books for children. In total, she has written over 40 books in all areas of children’s literature ...more
More about Barbara Bottner...