The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader

The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy SEAL Leader

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  38 reviews
There already are many books on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. There will be more, including by those who experienced the fire of combat. This story, though, is not just about a SEAL on the Iraqi battlefield, but a SEAL at war with himself and his ultimate victory. I believe his story will inspire the reader, just as it did me.
—from the introduction by Robert M. Gates,...more
Published November 5th 2013 by William Morrow (first published July 15th 2013)

Noah W
Dec 15, 2013 Noah W rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
My favorite military and leadership book of the year.

Military Element:
Redman and Bruning capture the adrenaline of the moment while retaining critical details that keep the reader engaged. This book also did not spend half the book recounting BUD/s & Hell Week like most Navy SEAL memoirs; although I believe Redman's perspective would have been extremely insightful.

Leadership Element(Spoilers):
This side of the story is what makes this book stand above the rest. The book tracks Redman's caree...more
Paul Kratochwill
This was a good book for an military outsider to read. As a military insider, I found that Jason Redman did not drill down too deep into the details of the particulars of his training and education as a Navy SEAL, but he presented enough detail that you were not wondering what he left out in his book. Most of the SEALs I knew and know are like what Jason became after he made a serious tactical error during a mission in Afghanistan. In the military, and certainly in the SEAL community, you had to...more
Shaun
This book was awesome and really hit home with me. It's not your typical Navy SEAL, train hard, learn a bunch of stuff, then do amazing things for our country. It's truly one man's journey to becoming a true leader and the amazing and hard lessons he learned along the way. He initially wants to become a Navy SEAL because of the cool guy factor. I think many are drawn to this aspect of the Navy SEALs. It's tough training and he's a small (skinny) guy, but he guts it out and makes it. He eventuall...more
Chris Ross
This is an amazing book. I am glad Jason wrote it and I agree with many things he says in the book about most American's being more concerned about what Paris Hilton had for breakfast than the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq and I believe this is a shame. Jason, thank you for serving our country and fighting for our freedom and the freedom of the Afghani people and the Iraqi people. Thank you for making wounded wear and for what you are doing for our returning combat veterans. Not everyone wants to...more
a.t.m.
Interesting read about the life of a seal.

by far the most complicated book I have read recently about one of our elite warriors belonging to a very elite warrior organization. The author spares nothing and allows the reader to make his own conclusions, especially, when it comes to his pride and ego. His wife is his "rock" and she should be allowed to write her own story about living with a navy seal in a time filled with deployments, raising kids on your own, and the threat of him not coming hom...more
Ken
The author, Jason Redman wrote such inspirational things that I made notes: Leaders must straddle a fence, to be great. On one side of the fence is deferring decisions to your superior and on the other side is being friends with those under you. The great leader knows when it is best to engage either side, but in general they stay in the middle of the two dynamics. Another note I made was about a question posed to him, when he was faced with a career ending situation. He was asked, "Did you join...more
John
Nov 23, 2013 John added it
An impressive story of a man and what he goes through in terms of personal and professional growth. These are the people we should be thanking for all that we have.
John
There are many books out there that provide a first person narrative of the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq and they are generally quite good. That said, I would say this one might be one of the best I have read in a while. Not only is this a narrative of Jay's time in the war but it goes farther into his struggles as a leader in the SEALs, his work to earn back his comrade's trust and then his recovery through the horrific injuries he suffered during a firefight, a week or so before he was to ship...more
gary d phillips
I know I will be recommending it with fervor!

This was not the light summer read I went in search of yesterday. It will not soon be forgotten, though, as I read it in two days time! Thank you Jason Redman for a very personal and tortuous journey to manhood. Trident, though I knew it to reflect the Navy SEALS, was an unexpected surge into the great price wars cost our people. The price of our freedom and security here at home is painfully spelled out in graphic details. I hope all ages of folks ta...more
James
Amazing! Great story. I actually read this book during one of the darkest periods of my life. It was one of the best things I could have done. To read his story is to feel like you were beside him as he overcame again and again. This book helped me to stop feeling sorry for myself and has helped me have a positive attitude ever since. Want a great story, read this book. Want to overcome the blues or self pity, read this book. Want to know that there are still American's who have the courage, dev...more
Donna
This is the one book every American needs to read.

Having read many books written by and about these wars of our generation, this one stands tall above the rest. His ability to look inward and admit publicly and without excuse, how his own pride, stubbornness and failures caused him to have to essentially start over, are lessons we can all learn from, and hopefully pass on to the young people we sometimes lead. This book was a perfect balance of the things he learned about himself in combat, as w...more
C.S. Wilson
I will be reading this book repeatedly. It touched my soul.

I think most everybody has seen "the sign on the door", the sign written by a wounded Navy SEAL that essentially said that he didn't want pity, he wanted good vibes and happiness to help him heal. This book is his story, but it's not about how he was wounded; it's about becoming a leader. The story of how he got wounded and saved by his teammates could have been very different had he not learned how to be an effective leader who was resp...more
Sarah Eiseman
Originally posted on sarahsbookshelf.com:

Not too long ago a poster had been making the rounds on Facebook. If you see the text it might ring a bell but the basic premise was that he didn’t want, or need, your pity to recover. He needed positive support and optimism. The man who wrote that sign was Lt. Jason Redman, a (now) retired U.S. Navy SEAL. In his memoir, Redman recounts his career leading up to his injuries, as well as his family’s support through his subsequent healing and reconstruction...more
Doug
For me this was the story of a man first hooked into the myth of 'cool' military life. What makes the story quite good is that he does come to realize what he's done and with the same singleminded dedication with which he first pursued 'cool' he then works to correct the issue. He's not able of course to correct all of his issue, but it's my belief that as he comes to see them clearly he will be able to fix other issues as well.

This biography/life laid out a great example of courage, humbleness...more
Mb
Very good book on a number of levels. Redman's honesty in dealing with his own immature approach to leading men, is noteworthy for any of us who either strive for, or are put into a position of leadership. If at any time you become impressed with your leadership, you are probably leading poorly. Very few men have the innate ability to lead well. Redman proves it can be learned, usually through a massive dose of humility.

If you haven't spent at least a few minutes on a regular basis remembering t...more
Judy
Fantastic book

w h enough I started reading this I didn't realize this is a true story. based on on man's trials of learning who he is, becoming humble. in the end he faces his new life with the same grim determination he learn thorough his life in the military.
more wives need to find the strength she has to carry there marriage and family life.
Zachary Brown
Good story, poor storytelling. I am a fan of this genre (SEAL literature) and this story's twist was of personal adaptation and acceptance/overcoming personality shortcomings. However, seemed emotionally repetitive, like the author trying to meet a page quota despite running out of material.
John Wyatt
Good look at a humbled leader and his struggles of life changed by injury.

This book is not only about the military and missions, although that plays a large part of it. It also lays out overcoming adversity, handling change in life, and facing the maturity rituals that we face as we grow.

Eric Spradlin
Out of all the SEAL books I have read, I find that I connected with Lt Redman more than others. I could see myself in his actions, especially the 95% on target, 5% impulsive destructive behavior. In addition, I recognized a leader is made and through his mistakes, one could feel the mistakes were learned and would not be repeated. Finally his injury and will to overcome is something everyone can admire.
Nancy
This is such a good book about Jason's career. He is very forth coming about his ups and downs in being a leader. Then there is being shot and all of the surgeries he has gone through. His family and the great support they have given him. It is a different book but so moving.
Sophie Moss
An insightful, honest and inspiring story about overcoming adversity and finding the strength to never give up. Everyone should read this book to understand what our wounded warriors are going through. A truly incredible read that brought me to tears several times. Thank you Jason Redman for your service and sacrifice.
Cunni Moeller
Just finished this book.
A great read to learn about pride, humility and endurance.
A good book about a tremendous warrior. In fact, about the founder of Wounded Warrior Project. I just do not enjoy a book where every sentence starts with "I".
Joe Granados
Exceptional read on leadership and what it truly means to be a part of a Team. This book goes beyond simply describing elite military operations and warrior machismo; it is an excellent study of character, not only of the author but his wife and teammates around him.

The author's journey of self awareness and attitude change is highly compelling and may even influence readers to reflect on their own actions in a work or operational environment.

I believe any manager of people in the civilian cor...more
Randall J Harkins
A great message about overcoming adversity, but not the one you think.

Should be required reading. The messages in this book self appraisal, real courage, service, sacrifice, and redemption, are reason enough to appreciate it.

However, the telling of the story, makes it a great read even if you miss,some of the great lessons.
Martha Locker
I love reading about Navy Seals, their training and missions. This book is about a Navy Seal who had a rough start to his Navy career, then was badly injured. He had his family and the Seal Team community for moral sport.
Daniel Holliday
What a great book that so clearly teaches the struggles of becoming a true leader through Redmans own struggles and near career disaster. It includes all of the exciting SEAL storyline that draws one to the book but maintains a clear hold on teaching the reader to examine himself for character flaws and leadership qualities. I can't say enough for the resilience and character that Redman truly had and would recommend this book to all.
Tim C
Great Read

A must read for all veterans, and those who wish to understand them. Many thanks to Jason Redman for inspiring.
Linda
An interesting read. I find that the parts when he talks about his missions and describes breaking down doors and weaponry they use I get lost - that seems more suited for a movie(to me). I did like his journey and how he worked really hard to be honest with himself and the kind of person he was. I also can't believe what he and so many to for our country and how much they sacrifice for all of us.
Jim Morton
Great book...must read for military leaders.
Carol
I loved this book! It's an honest look at a Navy Seal from beginning to his end of service as a result of combat injuries. He had his own ideas of what a Seal was and had to realize he didn't know evrything and could learn from others. It was quite a journey!

I recommend this book for everyone.
The Trident: The Forging and Reforging of a Navy Seal Officer