Start by marking “Weelicious Lunches: Think Outside the Lunch Box with More Than 160 Happier Meals” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Easy, healthy, and fun lunch ideas for every age!

Once kids walk out the door for school, all bets are off. Will your son toss the nutritious food you've included and jump right to the treats? Will your daughter trade her sandwich for her best friend's prepackaged meal? Determined to improve what kids eat both at school and on the go, weelicious.com founder Catherine McCord
Published September 3rd 2013 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published August 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Weelicious Lunches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Weelicious Lunches

Ashley Katsuyama
I always struggle with what to feed my kids for lunch, so I picked this up hopeful it contained some easy meal ideas with a little bit of novelty tied in. And it certainly delivered that. The recipes were incredibly simple, and although they got a bit repetitive, are just the sort of thing most school aged children would want to eat. They are also quick and easy to prepare, a key factor for moms.

I wish that McCord would have done a bit more about assembling a complete lunch. She gives some sugg
Marilee
This cookbook is geared towards making kids' lunches healthier and more fun. My boys are old enough that they make their own lunches, but I will be trying out some of these recipes anyway. In particular, there were a lot of snack recipes like granola bars, nutrigrain bars, and different types of crackers that I want to try making because I am so tired of giving my money to huge companies for their over processed snacks, or paying even more money for slightly healthier versions. The reason I'm on ...more
Penny McGill
As far as cookbooks-intended-to-help-you-feed-your-kids go this one was okay. Many of the recipes were interesting and were not filled with expensive ingredients that would send you to 2 or 3 specialty stores but I didn't love the 'tone' of the book. I never really felt as if Catherine McCord and I were on the same page. A second clue for me was that Alice was never drawn to the book. It is rare that she doesn't find a cookbook compelling and this one didn't fit the bill for either of us. So, if ...more
Mandie Kok
There really is something for everyone in this book. Every type of lunch imaginable and then some can be made by following the easy instructions. Most of the lunches are so easy, they don't even need a recipe, but I wouldn't have thought of it myself. I definitely recommend getting this book if you need inspiration for packed lunches.

I took off a star, because I felt there was a lot of unnecessary writing before we got to the recipes and I didn't enjoy the author's voice, which came across as ho
Dolly
Aug 11, 2014 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms who want to make healthy lunches for their children to eat at school
Just when I think I'm about as granola as it gets (after all, I'm eating a bowl of my homemade tabbouleh while I write this review), I go and read a book like this that completely sets me straight.

I might as well be picking up my kiddos' lunch from the local 7-11 compared to what this mom does. Sheesh! I mean - homemade Nutella. Baked whole-wheat raspberry doughnuts. Eggplant burgers. Whole grain fruit-filled bars. Wow.

Still, as inadequate as this book attempts to make me feel, I refuse to get
Jeri
I won this book here and received it last week. My 11 yr. old daughter was excited to see a cookbook just for her lunches she takes to school most everyday. She immediately started marking recipes to try and she found an absolute hit for her and her friends at school. It was the Banana Dog Bites. Her friends are now looking in her lunchbox everyday to see what other "goodies" she's bringing to school and might possibly share with them.

This book uses very healthy food, not the typical lunchbox fa
Maddie
Lots of good, fun, easy recipes. Lunch and snack ideas. I don't but snacks anymore I just make a batch of one good thing and then make something else when it runs out.
Even though I have no children, I still found this really helpful. I have post it notes for all the recipes I want to try! I was getting discouraged at first while looking through it because as usual I can't find too many recipes in 'normal' cookbooks since I am dairy, soy and egg intolerant, but then the post it notes had to come out! Since she's trying to be healthy for her kids, some of the recipes I'm able to have just because she doesn't load up her kids' meals with things they don't need. ...more
Nona
Thank you for the first reads giveaway. I always love reviewing a good book. This is a lovely cook book. It is well organized and easy to use plus the photos of the food makes it appear very tasty!

Some of the recipes have ingredients I don't typically keep on hand but are not going to break the bank to purchase them either. Some do seem a little redundant though. Some have exactly the same ingredients only you use a waffle iron instead of baking them... just little twists like that. Good ideas
Alissa Nolan
Another beautiful Weelicious cookbook. I recieved a complimentary copy of this book from Goodreads. This second Weelicious cookbook was amazing. There are tons of great lunch suggestions, even my picky eaters will enjoy. I have not tried any recipes yet, but ran out of bookmarks, marking the recipes that we want to try. At the top of the list are the veggie burgers and the apple ring pb&j. There are lots of great pictures, to give you presentation and packing ideas too.
Amy
A lot of good ideas for lunches in this book. I tried the chicken and rice soup, though I used chicken breasts rather than a whole chicken. It was very tasty, the whole family enjoyed it. I tried the tuna pasta salad as well, it was good, though I'll make a few modifications the next time to fit my flavor preferences better.

The recipes are easy and the book is well laid out. They can be adapted easily to adjust for your family's tastes.
A Full Bookshelf
Thank you to Goodreads for this First Reads win!

I was excited to get this recipe book. It is a beautifully made book. The directions on the recipes are clear and easy to follow.

After first flipping through the book, I was a little disappointed to see that some of the recipes seem unrealistic for children, however, I am open to trying them for myself.

I still have many of these recipes to try and will update this as I try more!
Little
As I often feel I am out of ideas, she's got some. Nothing revolutionary, but a bunch of dips and sandwiches all in once place.
Rachel
A cookbook that has recipes that are easy to make with few ingredients and that I will actually try. I like that she includes a variety of foods so that there are some new types of foods that I could introduce to my kids but again they seem pretty easy to make and not expensive. I got this book from the library, but would like to get a copy for myself to keep.
Alisa
I really like this author. I appreciate that she wants to use real foods and getting kids to like real foods. I have made several of the recipes in this book and my kids loved them, as well as the adults. Most what I love is that she thinks outside the box in what you can serve children. Will be taking a look at it again.
Rebekah
I really like many of these ideas. But I am finding it to be most useful for snacks. Many of the main dish lunch entrees seem like they wouldn't be very yummy if they weren't served immediately or warm. A good book for the lunch/snack arsenal, but not the only one that I will need.
Michelle
Bright, colorful cookbook, usable lunch ideas, lots of good-looking recipes. I've tried several and liked them. Her instructions are clear, and I like that so many of the recipes have photos. I already like and use her website. I also love that she includes an allergy chart and tips!
Alicia
I know most of these things are for lunches but they do have some stuff that I really want to try :) There is the grilled cheese and pickle panini, pizza balls, stuffed pizza rolls & the pumpkin muffins with cream cheese icing(yummy!!).

**goodreads giveaway**
Amber
Sep 03, 2013 Amber added it
I preordered this one and was thrilled to see it on my kindle this morning. Am looking forward to yummy, non processed fabulous ideas for lunches this year (as I have been informed mine are rather dull)
Tobi
Nov 04, 2013 Tobi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
For the love of god please stop using the word "sammie". Otherwise, this is a useful book. Nothing earth shattering, but good for generating ideas and the recipes are straightforward and appealing.
Bern
A nice book with some good ideas but a bit repetitive and frankly oversimplified. The most basic of recipes can be slapping this and that together and that a recipe book does not make. . .
Ashleigh
We've had this for a month now and made more than 10 recipes from it....all amazing! My kids love to flip through and pick out recipes to try. Great cookbook for families!
Ron
A nice little book with some good ideas. My only wish is that every recipe had a picture. We shall see how many things in here my boy will actually eat.
Sara
Maybe 3 stars. Maybe it would be better if my child was in school. I was looking for more at home lunch ideas and it just felt repetitive.
Kelly Koorn
Easy, accessible lunch ideas. Great inspiration for my toddler's preschool lunch and snacks for the whole family too.
Beka
Lots of great lunch ideas for littles and bigs alike. I especially like her healthy recipe for Nutella.
Trish
This is a great cookbook for wonderful lunch ideas for kids. They look so yummy adults will eat them to!
Lauren
Some great ideas to add health to the lunch of my picky little eater!
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
  • Beating the Lunch Box Blues: Fresh Ideas for Lunches on the Go!
  • Martha Stewart's Cakes: Our First-Ever Book of Bundts, Loaves, Layers, Coffee Cakes, and more
  • Best Lunch Box Ever: Ideas and Recipes for School Lunches Kids Will Love
  • Savoring the Seasons with Our Best Bites
  • The Mom 100 Cookbook: 100 Recipes Every Mom Needs in Her Back Pocket
  • The Can't Cook Book: Recipes for the Absolutely Terrified!
  • The Dinnertime Survival Cookbook: Delicious, Inspiring Meals for Busy Families
  • Celebrate Every Day: Recipes for Making the Most of Special Moments with Your Family
  • Easy Granola Bar Recipe
  • Trophy Cupcakes and Parties!: Deliciously Fun Party Ideas and Recipes from Seattle's Prize-Winning Cupcake Bakery
  • Keepers: Two Home Cooks Share Their Tried-and-True Weeknight Recipes and the Secrets to Happiness in the Kitchen
  • Come Home to Supper: Over 200 Casseroles, Skillets, and Sides (Desserts, Too!) to Feed Your Family with Love
  • Waffles: Fun Recipes for Every Meal
  • Relish: An Adventure in Food, Style, and Everyday Fun
  • Year-Round Slow Cooker: 100 Favorite Recipes for Every Season
  • The Vegetarian Family Cookbook
  • The Artful Parent: Simple Ways to Fill Your Family's Life with Art and Creativity--Includes over 60 Art Projects for Children Ages 1 to 8
  • Comfort Food Fix: Feel-Good Favorites Made Healthy