Santa Claus and the Three Bears

Santa Claus and the Three Bears

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Baby Bear weren't expecting any company when they went for a walk on Christmas Eve, but that's exactly what they got! Debut author Maria Modugno teams up with award-winning artists Jane and Brooke Dyer to deliver a festive twist on Goldilocks and the Three Bears, with Santa Claus stepping in as the cheerful intruder.

Leaving their pudding to cool o...more
Published September 24th 2013 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Santa Claus and the Three Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Claus and the Three Bears

Tami
I read this book because I thought it looked like an excellent opportunity to transform a traditional fairy tale into something even more meaningful and clever. I was further encouraged by the reviews I read from people gifting this version to children at the holidays. Perhaps this is why I was sorely disappointed with the actual work.

It was NOT a clever retelling of the The Three Bears. It is an uninspired repetition of a classic structure in which an-oft beloved character (whom children are us...more
Michele
Cute, nicely illustrated Christmas version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, with Santa as Goldilocks!
Richie Partington
Richie's Picks: SANTA CLAUS AND THE THREE BEARS by Maria Modugno, Jane Dyer, ill., and Brooke Dyer, ill., Harper, September 2013, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-06-170023-1

"Once upon a time, about, hmmm, five years ago, there was this groovy dude and his name was Santa Claus, y'know? And he used to live over in the projects with his old lady and they had a pretty good thing together because his old lady was really fine and she could cook and all that stuff like that, y'know?
-- Cheech and Chong, from another...more
babyhippoface
The three bears are polar this time, and their visitor isn't a blonde-headed child, but Santa Claus himself! Oh, he eats Baby Bear's pudding, he breaks Baby Bear's chair, and he sleeps in Baby Bear's bed, but rather than run away in fright when the bears return home, Santa opens up his pack and gives them gifts. (And that was the part the 2nd graders here liked best of all, because Santa gives Mama Bear a middle-sized gift like they expected, but Papa Bear gets a wee little gift and Baby Bear ge...more
Erin
A sweet retelling of Goldilocks and the three bears with Santa playing the role of Goldilocks. Artwork done in gouache and watercolor, the arts jumps off the page as Santa makes his way through the bears home trying Christmas pudding, chairs and eventually beds.
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
The three bears weren't expecting company when they went for a walk on Christmas Eve. But who should appear but the merry old gentleman himself - Santa Claus! Santa tries out the Christmas pudding, the chairs and then the beds. Find out what happens when the three bears come home from their walk. Wonderful pictures and whimsical prose make for a lovely picture book to share with your family during the holiday season.

Janice P. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog
Chris
Adorable mashup of Goldilocks and Santa Claus. Who has a legitimate excuse to enter houses and eat food left out on Christmas? Who might be tired from traveling the world and want to rest for a minute? This is definitely one to get again.
Robin
After we took out the carts of Christmas books from the storage room here in the library, I was astonished to see the huge number of titles amassed here over the years! And then a shipment of books that we ordered arrives and now there are even more beautifully illustrated Christmas books. This title is one that caught my eye right away not only because of the title but the illustrators since I've always enjoyed Jane Dyer's illustrations and now I learn that she lives in Massachusetts! Neat.
Classic Goldilocks and the three bears with a Santa Claus twist.
Dina
Cute retelling of the old story with Santa visiting while the bears take a walk after their holiday dinner. Santa follows Goldilocks' routine but it seems surprising for Santa to take a nap while out delivering gifts let alone making baby bear wait a year for a replacement chair. As always love Jane Dyer's watercolors.
Margaret
While there is no Goldilocks or porriage in this adorable picture book, there is Santa and Christmas pudding. This is a fun wintery twist on a classic that every kid young and old will adore.

I received this product free for the purpose of reviewing it. I received no other compensation for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are my personal, honest opinions. Your experience may vary. Please read my full disclosure policy for more details.
Jodie
A Christmas retelling of the Three Bears.
Janet
Lovely change up on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. All the elements of the story remain the same, just the visitor happens to be Santa. The illustrations are in a Scandinavian theme and the bears are of the polar variety, nice and white for wintertime and one of my favorite decorations, Danish hearts appear as a table decoration. Fun book.
Jess
Santa takes the place of Goldilocks in this FFT.

First grade really liked it. I think it's a pretty good take on Goldlocks for Christmas. I would have used medium instead of middle for the Mama Bear parts because it fits better.

Oh, and Santa? If you break a chair, you should replace it post haste, not next year as a Christmas present.
Diane
Lush illustrations highlight this retelling of Goldilocks and the three bears. This time the bears are polar bears and "goldilocks" is Santa Claus. This will make a great read aloud for my kindergartners to enjoy the Christmas season and get a little "comparing and contrasting" in with the original tale.
Marcie
The Jane and Brooke Dyer illustrations are a lovely complement to this rather traditional revamping of the three bears. Fun!
Whitney
4 stars for the whimsical illustrations (which draw on the styles of Susan Wheeler, Jan Brett, and Mary Engelbreit), and 3 for the text, which is a Christmas version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears (which stays true to the story but does not add much originiality).
Samantha
This spin on the classic Goldilocks tale translates very well into a Christmas version. Santa samples the porridge, chairs, and beds, but when he is discovered he delivers presents! Watercolor and gouache illustrations. Great gift book for PreK-2.
Great Books
This is a delightful holiday twist on the classic tale. The bear family isn’t expecting any visitors when they go for a walk on Christmas Eve. Imagine their surprise when they come home to find Santa sleeping in Baby Bear’s bed!
Reviewer 18
Elizabeth S
2 1/2 stars. The premise is clever, oh so clever. But other than that, it was the same-old Goldilocks story. So, read the title, enjoy the cleverness of it, and you don't need to bother with the book itself.
Paula
When Papa, Mama and Baby Bear return from a walk on Christmas Eve, they're surprised to find their pudding eaten and their chairs sat in and broken. And who's that asleep in Baby Bear's bed?
Daniel
Dec 27, 2013 Daniel marked it as to-read
Shelves: library
This is probably going to be a very interesting parody of goldilocks and the three bears
Jen
this was cute enough. I'd probably use it in a pinch at a Santa themed story time. The typeface was lovely- I'm glad they paid attention to detail.
Vicki
What an awesome idea for a holiday book! Instead of Goldilocks, Santa Claus is the snoopy culprit. I bet children will enjoy this story.
Cute. But I feel the moral of the story is bribe with presents if you eat other people's food and break their furniture :-)
Judy Desetti
Dec 10, 2013 Judy Desetti rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-2 teachers
Very cute story of the Three Bears and Santa rather than Goldilocks. Kids loved this one.
Wendy
Loved the illustrations, and the play on combining Santa and the three bears.
Wendy Kuzma
Cute illustrations! Fun, holiday-version of the classic tale.
Brindi
possible title for a Howland Christmas program
Megan K
My favorite Christmas book this year!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »