Start by marking “The Lightkeeper” as Want to Read:
The Lightkeeper

The Lightkeeper

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  935 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Once, the sea took everything he loved…

Jesse Morgan is a man hiding from the pain of his past, a man who has vowed never to give his heart again. Keeper of a remote lighthouse along a rocky and dangerous coast, he has locked himself away from everything but his bitter memories.

Now, the sea has given him a second chance.

A beautiful str
Published August 27th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Lightkeeper, please sign up.

Shannon lol, I just came online to see if he had his own book. I loved the last chapter of him in The Lightkeeper and it was great seeing him again in The…morelol, I just came online to see if he had his own book. I loved the last chapter of him in The Lightkeeper and it was great seeing him again in The Drifter. I hope we get some answers. :)(less)

Misfit

Yes, the lighthouse and towns from this book are places that really existed, and can still be visited today.

Unable to bear the pain of his wife's death, Jesse Morgan fled from his home and wealthy family in Portland by taking the position of light keeper at Cape Disappointment Lighthouse in Washington Territory. He might think he's accomplished his goal of burying his grief until a lone survivor from a shipwreck washes up on the beach below - and that survivor definitely upsets his appl
Julie Barrett
The Lightkeeper by Susan Wiggs
Fantastic story about a man Jesse Morgan who operates the light house at Cape Disappointment. It's a tricky section of the coast in the northwest.
He has already lost his wife and their unborn son and is a hermit, keeping to himself until one day he rescues a pregnant woman and tends to her health.
Over the months he learns about her Irish upbringing and who the father is. She learns his secrets as well. He births the child and she says it's their son.
When he returns
Jeanne
A book like this makes me want to run away and find a rocky shore, buy a house and escape from the world. Which is the opposite of the point of this book.

A man who lost his wife to an accident at sea becomes a lighthouse keeper at the lighthouse that went out, causing her death. He's exiled himself to that place as penance to make sure something of the same never happens again.

A girl on the run from a lover who wants to claim her unborn child as his own washes up on the shore below that lighth
Kristiej
I read this one quite a few years ago and it recently came up on a recommended list. So with a 50% off deal, I downloaded a copy for my Kobo reading app.

I think I loved this book even better the second time around and I loved it dearly the first time. Jesse suffered a tragedy in his privileged life and had been hiding his heart and his life away in a small coastal town, handling the job as the lighthouse keeper, pledging his life to making sure no one else suffered the loss he had.

But what the s
LJ
THE LIGHTKEEPER - VG
Wiggs, Susan

Now, the sea has given him a second chance.

A beautiful stranger washes ashore, the sole survivor of a shipwreck. Penniless and pregnant, Mary Dare is a woman who carries painful memories of her own.

With laughter, hope and joy, Ma
Suzette De
Wow- What a gut wrenchingly passionate love story! I agree with the New York Times review of this story being "a classic beauty and the beast that will stay in your heart....."

Our lead hero, Captain Jesse Morgan has lost his wife and unborn child mysteriously to the sea. Both grew up together. They came from wealth and no one can replace his beloved wife and best friend Emily. Although he is part owner of a shipping company, he is trying to heal his twelve year old deeply embedded wounds by tend
Betty
Jesse Morgan was young, energetic and in love when he married Emily. Jesse, Emily, and their friend, Granger Clapp were all three from wealth families and were friends. When Emily accepted Jesse's proposal, Granger became livid. No one knew that he was in love with her also. Jesse and Emily married and were happy and very much in love. Emily became pregnant and no longer welcomed Jesse to her bed. Being young and healthy this did not sit to well with Jesse who found himself a lover. He realized ...more
Issa
12 years ago Jesse Morgan lost everything. Since then he's been manning a lighthouse in Portland. One day a woman washes ashore, very pregnant, and close to death. Despite his need to be alone he saves her. Jesse's reason for his solitude are valid. Though after 12 years he should be moving on a bit, the guilt and pain are intense and not easy to get over. I expected a nice story where the woman gently digs through his pain and teaches him to live again. Instead we get Mary, the most annoying he ...more
Mary Gramlich
Everyone is running from something

When Jesse Morgan finds Mary Dare unconscious and nearly dead he wonders what is he going to do with her. Fate brought them together but Jesse was determined to separate them as quickly as possible.

Jesse has lived a solitary life since the death of his wife on a rocky spot as the manager of a light house. He is alone with his pain and sees no good deed going unpunished including rescuing Mary. When Mary is recovered from the ship wreck and refuses to leave seeki
Cheryl
Second chances...

I first read THE LIGHTKEEPER when it first came out in the late 1990s (copyright 1997). I enjoyed this story then and enjoyed it again this time around in this reissued book.

It is 1876 and tall, dark, brooding, and troubled Jesse Kane Morgan lives in self-imposed exile in Washington Territory, serving as the lightkeeper for the Cape Disappointment lighthouse. The Columbia River bar is a very dangerous spot for ships and Morgan has rescued shipwreck victims there before.

One day,
Cataluna6
I thought this would be a nice read (or listen) on my commute to work. And yes it did give me that, but it also gave me a boatload of frustration as well. I didn't love either of the main characters that much. Jesse was a dick sometimes, I know he was mourning, but seriously grow a set and stop bitching already. And Mary was too in your face, I did like her covering the house in lace and flowers, I thought that was funny, but I drew the line at her going in Jesse's room.

I felt like the conflict
Leanne Hunt
I liked this book even though historical romance usually isn't my cup of tea. Those who do enjoy it will surely find the story satisfying in every way because it is both evocative in its period setting and tender in its characterisation.

The story is about a woman who gets shipwrecked and washed up near a lighthouse with a reclusive lightkeeper. The lightkeeper, Jesse, has an interesting past which makes him a very attractive hero, in spite of his terse manner. The heroine, Mary, is a spirited Ir
Virginia Campbell
A reissue of an earlier work by author Susan Wiggs, "The Lightkeeper" is an atmospheric, emotional, "Beauty and the Beast" tale. Set in the late 1800's on the rugged coastline of the Northwest, this poignant, romantic story is one of loss, redemption, and new hope. For over a decade, Jesse Morgan had been the steadfast lightkeeper at Cape Disappointment, a rugged, remote location--just the place for a man who wishes to hide his heart from the world. His life will be changed forever when a red-ha ...more
Carla Hostetter
Wiggs is masterful at portraying the Pacific Northwest and its dangerous coastal shoals. She is also wonderful at recreating the life of a lighthouse keeper without making it didactic or interfering with the plot. However, the story moved a bit slowly for me and I did not warm to the hero. Jesse, the lightkeeper lives in self-imposed exile as punishment for putting his pregnant wife on a ship in order to break up with a mistress without causing embarrassment. His wife dies when the lightkeeper ...more
Marleen
I’m inclined to give this book a 2,5 – 2,75 star rating. Simply put: there were things I liked about the story, e.g. the setting of the Washington Territory in 1876 is pretty amazing. The beautiful wild nature's well captured and brought to life. The life of a light keeper in those times seems so lonely but also peaceful in such a beautiful rough area. So as a historical novel, the scenes presented worked well.
What I didn’t like were the dynamics between Jesse and Mary – for most of the book, th
Piepie Beuttel
This book looked interesting to me as it first passed through my hands over the circulation desk to a waiting library patron. I love lighthouses, and the story jumped out to me. I could definitely see parallels between this and the classic Beauty and the Beast fairytale, but this romance failed to reach the bar I had previously set for it.

I liked the protagonist, gruff and sullen widower Jesse Kane Morgan, keeper of the light. The sassy Irish lass, Mary Dare, who he rescued from the depths, see
Jilly
I loved this story. The whole idea of a broken man who saves people is very romantic. *blah* I know I’m so cheesy but whatever. Okay so Jesse is a gruff grump who wants nothing to do with people or this pregnant beautiful woman who washed up on his beach. Of course, he doesn’t get his way when everyone around him conspires to keep Mary there with him…. And even she joins in.

The problems are Jesse is fighting it, and Mary won’t tell him what she’s scared of or who the baby’s father is. So there a
Joshua
A typical romance novel. There's strong indepedent heroine with a tragic backstory and a beautifully broken man who's afraid to love again because of a terrible accident in his past. Slowly, girl teaches guy to love again. Dramatic family ties threaten tear them apart, but together they prevail. Happy ending, poetic justice, blah blah blah. I would have liked this more if the characters hadn't been so frustratingly annoying. Jesse is childish and whiny, and Mary is so perfect you have to hate he ...more
Mcfree
I was ready to give this book 4 stars until
the end of the book and the backstory was revealed.

I have just returned from a visit to Oregon and the Columbia River basin. It is just as spectacular as the book describes. So the setting was great. As a matter of fact, the setting was a major player in the book.

I enjoyed the book's use of the daily routine of a light keeper.

I liked the heroine.

I felt like the author lost her way at the end of the book. As a matter of fact, the little warnings of h
Miss Clara
I'm not sure I liked this book much.

The guy was so determined to live alone; the girl forces herself to him.

And it doesn't develop any character for the antagonist here. He was oceans away, and so was his character-development in the book. We can sense anger, envy, jealousy but not really his personality. It wasn't real for me.

And Jesse (I'm not a fan of the name) was boring in a way. Well, it's understandable given that he lives in a lighthouse. But damn, the way his "dead" life is portrayed wa
Cary
This was a very clean book with a plot that was not run of the mill and hence that makes it good. It had all the requisite pieces to it but for some unknown reason I just didn't cross over into totally sucked in! I still can't figure out why.
Tia
It was a good book, set in the lat 1800's which is normally not my thing but the description led me to read it. The hero was a total hunk but he was miserable as his past had made him so. He was unable to let go of his guilt and move on. When our hero meets the heroine he rescues her from the sea, she is pregnant and unconscious. Soon after rescuing her, he realizes how bitter he is and begins to fall in love, when things are going good a huge bomb drops down to reveal a secret that has the pote ...more
Anastasia White
It was irritating in the beginning, how can one man be that stubborn? I knew something would challenge their love for one another by conquering each of their fears. They had a lovely family of their own to love and cherish as a show of the love they have for everyone they keep in their hearts.
Rachel
I'd say this is a 3.5. I've read lots of Wiggs books and enjoy them, but this one wasn't my favorite of hers. I felt like it got a little repetitive at times.
Joni
Widower Jesse Morgan has given up on life since his pregnant wife died in a shipwreck. Jesse, feeling guilty, spends the time since tending the lighthouse rescuing all those he can. The day Mary Dare is washed ashore, also pregnant, changes Jesse's life far more than we wanted. He wants her to leave, everyone else including Mary, wants her to stay. There are some suspenseful moments when both of their pasts secrets are exposed. They find their pasts linked in ways they never expected.
IrishFan
I like Susan Wiggs, have read several books of hers. This was a good one. I kind of figured what would happen at the end, but I still enjoyed the story development.
Massanutten Regional Library
Jessica, North River patron, June 2015, 4 stars:

Starts out slow but becomes a riveting tale.
JJ
Really not good. Characters not interesting or believable. She is annoying. A disappointment...
Fionn Jameson
Admittedly, I read this book back in high school, and had a lot more patience with self-flagellating heroes.

Nowadays, I have a lot less patience for heroes like the one in this particular Wigg novel.

The writing was quite good and it was a lot of fun re-reading something I adored in the past. However, I think, now, after having read a great deal, I find the obstinate, in-your-face personality of Mary Dare to be quite off-putting and unpalatable. Annabelle, Jesse's younger sister, was a rather p
Emily
There are few historical romance novels that have a surly yet engaging male lead with an independent (swoon proof?) and lively female lead, where the male must be seduced! I am extremely tired of the typical historical romance where male conquers virginal woman who succumbs to his naughty ways with blushes and a swoon. What can I say, I love my feisty female lead characters! Wiggs provides a good historical backdrop, especially with the difficulties facing Irish immigrants in 19th century Americ ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 20, 2015 07:16AM
  • My Only Love
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • Devil's Prize (Garrick #3)
  • Pale Moon Rider
  • Her Sister's Baby
  • Sweet Everlasting
  • Golden Chances:  Romance from the Heart of America
  • Garters
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Adam's Promise
  • Lady Lissa's Liaison (To Woo an Heiress, Book 1)
  • Prince of Swords
  • Bride of Second Chances
  • Cullen's Bride
  • Secrets Of The Heart (Aincourt's Hearts, #3)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Last Bridge Home (Sedikhan, #11)
  • The Mistaken Widow
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...
Just Breathe Summer at Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #1) The Apple Orchard (Bella Vista Chronicles, #1) Dockside (Lakeshore Chronicles, #3) The Winter Lodge (Lakeshore Chronicles #2)

“I see the way he looks at you when you're not aware of his gaze. I see the way you care for him. And so when you think he wants you gone, it is not that. He is simply afraid to lose you.” 15 likes
“On Sunday, something washed up on shore.” 1 likes