Start by marking “The Hero (Thunder Point, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hero (Thunder Point, #3)

The Hero (Thunder Point #3)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  4,150 ratings  ·  396 reviews
With warmth and sensitivity, #1 New York Times bestselling author Robyn Carr shows readers that falling in love can be the bravest act of all.

In a moment of desperation, Devon McAllister takes her daughter and flees a place where they should have been safe and secure. She has no idea what is around the next bend, but she is pretty certain it can't be worse than what they'
Published August 27th 2013 by Harlequin MIRA

To ask other readers questions about The Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hero

The Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberOn Dublin Street by Samantha YoungGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardMaid for the Billionaire by Ruth CardelloAdam's Apple by Liv Morris
Most Addicting Romances
72nd out of 300 books — 252 voters
Gone Girl by Gillian FlynnFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesInferno by Dan BrownAnd the Mountains Echoed by Khaled HosseiniThe Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
2013 NY Times Best-Sellers - Fiction
111th out of 150 books — 556 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
This is the third book in Robyn Carr's small town series, and it seems that the books are getting better as each installment comes out! This series takes place in the small town of Thunder Point, and now that I am on book three, I have settled in nicely in getting to know the people that live there. Robyn Carr does a wonderful job of creating that small town feeling. You know how everyone knows each others business! I suppose that could get quite annoying; but the thing that is nice about these ...more
Ruth
I hate writing negative reviews. I always try to look for something positive in every book I read and review. For this one, the cover is the only positive thing about it for me, which goes to show that you probably shouldn't always rely on a nice picture on the cover before reading a book.

This was one of the most drearily dull romances I've read in ages. Reading it felt like watching the most tedious soap opera that ever existed in the history of TV, and I was tempted to pinch myself to reassure
Philip Newey
I have never read any of Robyn Carr’s novels before. This is the third book in what is, apparently, a new series, the Thunder Point series. I take it that Carr’s books are quite popular: this was the number one bestseller in the New York Times bestseller list when I purchased it. It is a fantasy. Oh, you won’t find it in any catalogue of fantasy novels. I suppose it is categorized as a ‘romance’. It is, nevertheless, a fantasy.

The Hero tells the story of Devon McAllister and her three-year-old d
Ian
Sep 23, 2013 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of small town romance
The Hero After escaping from a cult, Devon finds herself in Thunder Point where she takes her first tentative steps at building a new life with her daughter. She finds a job and a small home in a run down part of town and she can finally see a bright future.

Recently widowed, Thunder Point is a chance for a fresh start for Spencer and his son. He's still mourning the death of his wife so at first he pushes thoughts of the beautiful blonde out of his mind, but as the weeks pass they take baby step
Sally906
My thoughts: THE HERO is the third book in the ‘Thunder Point’ series and once again I was swept into the community. The people who live at Thunder Point are just ordinary everyday people with problems just like you and me. They all smile and say g’day, and they all know each other’s business, but when there’s trouble they all roll up their sleeves and join in to help. Spencer has just moved her after the death of his wife from cancer; he is the new football coach. He and his son are looking for ...more
Marleen
In all honesty, the 3rd book in the Thunder Point series by Robyn Carr disappointed me; it felt rather bland, hurried and the plot of a young woman escaping a commune didn’t exactly appeal to me. Nothing personal, I just didn't buy it.
The main characters; Devon and Spencer didn’t have that special connection the author tried to infuse. I didn’t believe in their attraction. Their coming together simply wasn’t credible. They both lacked the charisma of the earlier protagonists in this series.
Sure
Leea
3.5 stars...

The Hero finally showcases Ms. Carr for the fantastic storytelling she is. Her ability to weave these 'simple' relationships into this small town setting is one of the reasons i've been such a fan of hers since getting my hands on Virgin River several years ago. It's no secret that I haven't been smitten with the pervious books in the Thunder Point Series but this one brings us fans back to what makes Ms. Carr so unique and special.

The Town

“I haven’t been here too long, Devon, but
Beth
Robyn Carr has a way of creating beautifully human, home town stories that touch your heart and make you want to know her characters more.

The Hero is a remarkable story of Devon McAllister’s escape from cult life with her small child. Taken in by the grumpy, kind hearted, Rawley, Devon begins a new life in hiding at Thunder Point. Encouraged by the friendliness of the people around her, she begins to live with the self assurance that she lost years ago to the cult.

Spencer Lawson is a recent wido
Mariann {at} Belle's Book Bag
I have been not so patiently waiting for this book since reading The Newcomer. I was left with several unanswered questions and I couldn’t wait to read more about Spencer and all of my other favorite characters.

I’m so addicted to this series and each book keeps getting better and better. Even though I loved the other books in the series, this is definitely my favorite so far. I’m hoping that the series continues as I am not nearly ready to leave Thunder Point and these fun lovable characters.

I
BJ Rose
This was really a 3.5* read for me, but I upped it to 4* because I loved the fleshing-out of Rawley, the more-than-taciturn Vietnam vet who rescued Devon and her daughter and took them in.
Wendy
Robyn Carr's one of my all-time favorite authors and her Virgin River series I could read over and over again.
Small-town romance is this author's specialty and in the Thunder Point series she takes us to the coast of Oregon.
"The Hero" is the heart-warming story of Devon McAllister's escape from a cult with her 3 yr old daughter.
Picked up and taken in by grouchy, kind-hearted Rawley, Devon begins a new life in Thunder Point. Encouraged by the warmth and friendliness of the people in town, she beg
Julianna
Sep 17, 2013 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Robyn Carr; Small-Town Contemporary Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
The Hero is the latest installment in Robyn Carr's new Thunder Point series. Although it was an enjoyable read, I didn't feel that it was quite up to the caliber of some of Ms. Carr's other work. I found the story and the characters rather bland, particularly when taking into account the serious subject matter of a young woman who escaped a cult and was essentially hiding out from them while trying to start a new life. This should have lent itself to some really gripping
Nancy Crocker
In The Hero (Thunder Point #3) by Robyn Carr: We find Rawley Goode giving a stranger and her three year old daughter a ride after finding them walking on the side of the road. He offers to take them wherever she would like to go, but a slow plan enters Rawley's head and it includes getting Devon and her little girl Mercy to Thunder Point.

Devon McAllister has left the compound with her daughter Mercy with nothing more than a backpack and forty dollars. Anything will be better than what she has b
Jackie Lane
AUGUST, REALLY??? I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL AUGUST. I THINK THIS IS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITE SERIES.
Alexa
The Thunder Point series, in spite of my brief hiatus from it, still feels like home - comfortable and cozy. This small town and its residents are familiar friends, easy to slip back in amongst and enjoy. Each new addition comes with a new set of characters to love, unspooling their lives into stories of courage, settling down and love.

The Hero is my favorite of the series, simply because the story just kept me turning the pages. Apart from the familiar characters (like Cooper & Sarah, Land
Bree T
Devon McAllister is a woman on the run with her 3yo daughter Mercy. She took an opportunity and ran with it, escaping a situation that had become intolerable. She ends up in Thunder Point, a tiny town on the Oregon coast, relying on the kindness of Rawley, who not only picked up her and Mercy and gave them a lift but also offered them a place to stay.

The people of Thunder Point welcome Devon and her daughter and they don’t ask too many questions, something that makes Devon happy. Although she’s
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I listened to The Wanderer, the first book in the Thunder Point series, as an audio book and found I was hooked on the series. When Netgalley offered The Hero, book three, I immediately requested it and once it was downloaded it moved to the top of my reading list.

Plot: This is a plot that revolves on escaping from a cult and learning to trust.

Characters: I loved the fact that the main characters in the first two books were still front and center in The Hero. Devon is a good addition to the ser
Guilty Pleasures
Piper‘s review posted on Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Review copy provided for an honest review

4 STARS

I have loved Robyn Carr’s new series Thunder Point from the first book. I have fallen in love not only with the characters, but the wonderful small town of Thunder Point. Thunder Point is now on my list of book places I would love to visit or live if they really existed. Wait, what am I saying they are real, right?

In The Hero we are introduced to Devon and her young daughter Mercy. Devon and Mer
Jess
This is the third book in the Thunder Point series and the main characters are Spencer Lawson (who we meet in a previous book) and Devon McAllister (a new character to the series). We are first introduced to Devon as she is hitchhiking a ride with her young daughter. You can tell she is in a bit of trouble and is trying to find a way out of it. Thankfully she is picked up by a local man of Thunder Point rather than someone dangerous. Devon tries to move on with her life by finding a new job and ...more
Darcy
When you see a romance book with a title like this you expect the hero to be the main love interest, however that wasn't the case with this book. The hero was a very unlikely guy, one who has, 3 books into this series, become my favorite character, not something I thought I would say reading the first book. But with this one, I can say it, I love Rawley! He is grumpy, cantankerous, and surly, but he has a heart of gold.

Time and time again through this book Rawley proved that Devon could rely on
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE .

Here’s the thing about the Thunder Point series: it isn’t a romance series.

Robyn Carr is one of the top female authors in the world at the moment. No matter what, you can be guaranteed her books are going to hit the New York Times bestseller list – and more likely than not, they’re going to hit at #1. She built her fanbase on excellent small town contemporary romance – namely, the Virgin River series – and so people are expecting more of the same from her with Thunder Poi
Hannah Fielding
From the first page of this book, I was hooked. The story is compelling, and as a reader I so wanted to see Devon escape and build a life of security. The writing really keeps you on the edge of your seat at times, and throughout the book the threat of Devon’s past lingers, so that you know a dramatic climax indeed is coming.

I liked Devon as a character, though I’d perhaps have liked a little more emotional exploration, and I liked her relationship with Spencer. But what really stands out in the
Jinky
I was excited to read this final installment (I think it's the final?) and had high hopes that it would take me back to the wonderful world of book one (book two, The Newcomer, was not so great). Oh, I was sorely disappointed. I can see the attempt to bring out the lesson of trust but it just did not work. I didn't feel enough substance in Devon and Spencer's relationship to care about the trust issues. They were poor examples to carry this message. I could see a better potential for Devon and t ...more
Kimba
The Hero by Robyn Carr is the third book in her Thunder Point series and for the first time I got that sensation of coming home. The town and the people residing there are beginning to feel like family and while I still miss my beloved, Virgin River, I am now confident Thunder Point will be a wonderful replacement. Hopefully there will be Christmas issues and all will once again be right in my universe. Three word review: heartwarming, romantic and suspenseful.

The tale begins when we meet Devon
Rachel Brand
Devon McAllister has been a member of a closed, religious group living in a compound for nearly four years, but the community that once seemed so kind and simple no longer seems quite so innocent. Not wanting to expose her three-year-old daughter to anything dangerous, Devon flees the compound one night, desperate to get as far away from the community as possible. She knows she’s taking a risk when an elderly man offers her a ride in his truck, but it ends up being the best choice she could have ...more
Marlene
Originally published at Reading Reality

The titular hero of this third entry in Robyn Carr’s Thunder Point series and the romantic hero are not the same person. Surprise! But a very excellent surprise and also totally in keeping with the way that this small-town romance series has been developing.

I think I’ve fallen in love with Thunder Point, Oregon. The more of this small, beachfront town that we explore, the easier it is to understand what makes this place so special.

The important relationship
Kara
I've like the three TP books I've read so far....however I skim over the very descriptive sex scenes and tear them out of the book. Imagination is better, imo. I don't need to read about that.
♥ Melody
Not much of a romance story at all. Everything is summarized, the entirety of the couple's relationship happens completely off the page. For a book titled 'The Hero' the aforementioned hero is missing 80% of the story. Like...WTF? He's pretty much treated like a B character and plays 3rd fiddle to everything else. Really weird. And why is everyone in this town either a widow/widower, single parent, or divorcee with a long lost child?? Totally unrealistic. The author also had the annoying habit o ...more
Smut Junkie
I'm really enjoying the people of Thunder Point!! And it's the first narrator that I have truly enjoyed!! I just borrowed books 4-6 in audio format from my local library and look forward to continuing with the fine people of Thunder Point!
Maureen ~Bitch Can Write A Book
I enjoyed the progression of the towns people. I have to say I'm looking forward to getting to know the Dr better and Ashley's dad. Every Robyn Carr book makes me feel like I'm coming home.
Weekly Romance: 4/6 - The Hero by Robyn Carr 1 3 Apr 05, 2014 08:24PM
  • Three Little Words (Fool's Gold, #12)
  • Wind Chime Point (Ocean Breeze, #2)
  • Miracle Road (Eternity Springs, #7)
  • Home to Whiskey Creek (Whiskey Creek, #4)
  • Currant Creek Valley (Hope's Crossing, #4)
  • Can't Stop Believing (Harmony, #6)
  • Castaway Cove (Shelter Bay #6)
  • Big Sky River (Parable, Montana, #3)
  • Always On My Mind (Lucky Harbor, #8)
A RITA award-winning author of 25 novels, Robyn Carr has found a whole new following with her stories about the independent women and former marines of Virgin River."

RT's Career Achievement Best Author Award winner (2010) for Contemporary Romance.
More about Robyn Carr...

Thunder Point (9 books)
  • The Wanderer (Thunder Point, #1)
  • The Newcomer (Thunder Point, #2)
  • The Chance (Thunder Point, #4)
  • The Promise (Thunder Point, #5)
  • The Homecoming (Thunder Point, #6)
  • One Wish (Thunder Point, #7)
  • A New Hope (Thunder Point, #8)
  • Wildest Dreams (Thunder Point, #9)
Virgin River (Virgin River, #1) Shelter Mountain (Virgin River, #2) Whispering Rock (Virgin River, #3) Temptation Ridge (Virgin River, #6) Wild Man Creek (Virgin River, #14)

“At this moment, I am obscenely happy. Please don’t screw this up or dump me or cheat on me or divorce me.”
“All right,” he said.”
2 likes
“Cooper’s been married in his head for a while now.”
“That’s… kinda sweet.”