Start by marking “Okinawa Kwaidan, True Japanese Ghost Stories and Hauntings” as Want to Read:
Okinawa Kwaidan, True Japanese Ghost Stories and Hauntings

Okinawa Kwaidan, True Japanese Ghost Stories and Hauntings

"....Chilling...", Okinawa Times

"...I loved the photographs...", Nago Hearld

"...I couldn't put the book down." Naha Journal.

Ron Dutcher has masterfully collected thirteen true, chilling tales set in real places with real people. The stories vary in time, dating back to the 16th century to the present day, but each story has a way of getting under your skin. You will be thi
Published January 13th 2013

Be the first to ask a question about Okinawa Kwaidan, True Japanese Ghost Stories and Hauntings

Jim Dooley
Nov 02, 2014 Jim Dooley rated it liked it
Many years ago, there was a series of paperback books published in the US...all with yellow covers...that told brief "true" stories of the supernatural. Mostly, these were urban legends and fanciful tales that had been handed down through the years. However, for those who needed a dose of the National Enquirer more often than weekly, they were quite addicting.

I would put this book in a higher quality class because it includes pictures, and there has been an effort to obtain corroborating evidenc
Nikki
Jan 30, 2016 Nikki rated it really liked it
Living in Okinawa I've heard the tall tales and ghost stories of certain locations around the island, but getting the real, researched stories are more difficult to find. Through talking to the local population and sifting through historical records, Dutcher has compiled a great list of the most heard ghost stories her in Oki. Digging deeper into the well known tales, the actual events in most of these cases are creepier and more disconcerting than the rumors that we hear around island.
This was
Jacklynn Ray
Jun 24, 2013 Jacklynn Ray rated it really liked it
This is a really good just straight factual account of different ghost stories and hauntings in Okinawa area. It's not full of "scare the pants" off of you language. It just goes from A to B to C. It doesn't really matter because the stories themselves are good enough to stop you from reading the book before you go to bed (THIS GIRL!) Ooh, the sleepless nights! Enjoy the book! It's a good read.
Megumi Ikeda
Feb 21, 2013 Megumi Ikeda rated it it was amazing
I have visited Okinawa several times and I have seen some of the places mentioned in the book. Some of the places, like Bise made my skin crawl while I was there, and I nearly wet my pants after I read about them in the book.

The stories are well written and I stayed up late to finish the book. I highly recommend.
Mary
Nov 13, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
I feel as though this was one of the strongest ghost story books released by this author. If you are a fan of Japanese culture, you may have already heard a few of these tales. What I thought was neat is that he takes it a few steps further, including pictures and his research on each story. Very fun and spooky! Definitely recommend this!
Steven Jesel
Aug 22, 2016 Steven Jesel rated it it was amazing
A great read for a summer night of ghost stories.

A great read for summer night of Japanese ghost stories. Every story was engaging and memorable. Editing (for grammar ) was near flawless throughout.
Nammie
Aug 10, 2013 Nammie rated it really liked it
Read this book last night while in Okinawa. I'm glad I found this book because I can relate to some of the places mentioned as I've visited some of those places. It was a good and quick read.
Bob
Feb 11, 2013 Bob rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book, but it is very short. Would love to see more on the subject from Mr. Dutcher.
Larry
Apr 18, 2013 Larry rated it really liked it
Very interesting and short ghost stories from Okinawa. Easy to read all in one sitting. The text could use editing for grammar and spelling.
Lana Kovach
Lana Kovach rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2013
Ammar
Ammar rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Liz Marnell
Liz Marnell rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
Ghostcrab
Ghostcrab rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Natalie Bleau
Natalie Bleau rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Jessie
Jessie rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2014
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Dani
Dani rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2015
Kristi
Kristi rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Twain
Twain rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2013
Kenji
Kenji rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Ray
Ray rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Trevor Peterson
Trevor Peterson rated it it was ok
Dec 03, 2016
Tim McCarthy
Tim McCarthy rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2015
Heather Mahley
Heather Mahley rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it really liked it
May 28, 2013
Candyland
Candyland rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2013
Lynne
Lynne rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Tristan
Tristan rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2013
Vanessa Petalcu
Vanessa Petalcu rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2014