Start by marking “Hati Seorang Istri” as Want to Read:
Hati Seorang Istri

Hati Seorang Istri

Indonesian edition

Dua kakak-beradik, dua istri, dua dunia...

Tom dan Pierce Delaney sama-sama ikut berperang dalam Perang Saudara--Tom memihak Utara, Pierce berdiri di pihak Selatan. Kini perang telah berakhir dan mereka pulang ke rumah. Pierce kembali ke Malvern, ke perkebunan keluarganya yang luas, dan kepada Lucinda, wanita berambut pirang cantik rupawan yang kecintaanny
softcover, 455 pages
Published 1989 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 1946)

To ask other readers questions about Hati Seorang Istri, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hati Seorang Istri

Michele Chapman
May 11, 2016 Michele Chapman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read books about the times of American slavery, and learned in school about the Civil War and the abolishment of slavery, but I have not read about, or even thought too much about the time period where the war is over and everyone goes home. Say you owned slaves, what does your life look like? Say you were a slave, what does your life look like? This books gives a glimpse into that transition period by showing us the different viewpoints of its characters over their lifetime after the war ...more
Eileen E Cartwright
Interesting

I never knew, before I discovered this book, that Pearl Buck wrote about anything but China - certainly not the American south after the Civil War. Her take on relations between blacks and whites is interesting. She brings out how terribly difficult things must have been. Also, I confess I knew nothing about the railroad strike of 1877. Here she begins to delve into workers vs rich corporate owners and the beginnings of unions. I was not crazy about the last third or so of the book bu
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya
A rare mix of a quiet, and seemingly non-interesting life set in a time of social change, written with the mastery and deep psychological insight that did not allow me to put the book down for longer, than it was absolutely needed.
Maggie
Sep 30, 2010 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book. I might have enjoyed it as much as I did because I started it with such low expectations, almost begrudgingly, almost forcing myself to pick it up before I continue my recent spate of devouring and indulging in contemporary novels. I thought it would be difficult to re-adjust to reading a classic, to have to try to relate to something so far in the past and clearly not relevant.

Luckily I was wrong. I dove right in from the beginning, as the characters and the themes and the plot
Diana
Jul 04, 2016 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One would think, after my many years of reading, that I would have learned not to begin the works of an author with his/her masterpiece. Everything thereafter, no matter how good, will be anticlimactic. This has been my experience with Pearl Buck -- after The Good Earth, I have sought out her other books and, while I liked them quite a bit, I can't help making the comparison.

The Angry Wife takes place in West Virginia, at and after the end of the Civil War.The only similarities to The Good Earth
Bonnie
Jan 11, 2016 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book more than I thought I would. The story begins at the end of the Civil War when Pierce Delaney returns to his home from fighting for the South. His brother Tom arrives soon after from imprisonment in Andersonville and is nursed to health by Bettina, the offspring of a plantation owner and one of his slaves. Basically the story concerns the characters' attitudes about race. The angry wife of the title, Pierce's wife Lucinda, wants no changes in the way things have always been: wh ...more
Irene
Sep 27, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To my opinion, Pearl S. Buck chose the unique context for the "wars" to set as the story background. Everybody chose their own path of revolution and pursued their own freedom. Thus, nobody in this story is a complete revolutionist nor totally free. Then there were people who stubbornly stayed the same and set their own wars against those who pursued freedom. And one person, Pierce Delaney, the main character, is at the same time strong- and weak-willed. Funny how he swayed from one doubt to ano ...more
Robyn Echols
Jan 08, 2016 Robyn Echols rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Pearl S. Buck is a top quality author. Her portrayal of her characters is unmatched. So much depth, and when you peel off back the layers you can see into and feel the essence of each person. The conflict between those who changed and moved forward with the times and those who remained locked in the past as well as how it affected their relationships kept the story riveting. I found the historical context interesting also.

The author may no longer be with us, but this novel is timeless.
Kerry
Jun 18, 2016 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Buck's writing and this book did not disappoint. Her woman's perspective is so spot on whether she is writing about a Chinese matriarch or, in this case, a spoiled Southern Bell - she is best to read.

I was confused by the title in the beginning and gradually found the meaning which gave the book a new light.

Her descriptions and depth of feelings about slavery and acceptance are amazing.

If you haven't read any Buck you are missing out - I really liked this book and I loved The Pavilion of
Susan
Jul 05, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-fiction
I must say this book totally surprised me. My copy has a different cover, so I assumed this would be another novel about China. Instead, I got a novel which starts after the American civil war with brothers returning from the war. They had fought for different sides. The novel goes into the changes black and white relationships as each face a new and changed world. Some are trying to still live in the past, while others are running to new futures, or trying to come to grips with changing feeling ...more
Angie Fehl
This was a departure from Buck's usual Asian-themed stories, but just as entertaining. It reminded me a bit of Gone With The Wind, taking place in the aftermath of the Civil War and involving a self-absorbed plantation mistress. Lucinda's greed and selfishness got tiring, and I kept hoping Pierce would "man-up" and set her straight. I was also waiting for the story to lead up to a big dramatic moment but it never really got there for me.
Betsy Campbell
Jan 05, 2016 Betsy Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so surprised to discover that Buck had written books not set in China! This book explores life in West Virginia after the Civil War. The soldiers returning don't know how to treat their " free " slaves anymore. Their homes are in shambles. And their women want to,carry on as always- like nothing happened. The book,also,delves into the railroads and how their growth and subsequent problems also impacted these people. An interesting read!
Amy
Dec 17, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read many Pearl S. Buck novels, but never this one and wasn't disappointed. It takes place as the War brown the States was ending and two brothers, the eldest is home on his plantation in W Va , preparing for the younger son's return from a Southern prison, having fought for the north. It follows the life of a war fought and how it changed lives and cultures forever. Very thought provoking and full of wonderful characterizations, another beautifully candid look into an era gone by.
Jul 17, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I keep reading Buck when she upsets me so. I felt like she was trying to send a good message, but it came across as horribly racist.
I think I just have a special place in my heart for The Good Earth. It does, after all, contain one of my all-time favorite lines in a book: "There's a fire in my vitals."
Ashley Harrison
I was a page turning

It was a page turner I chose this rating because I kind of dislike the way the book to you in a different direction than what you thought it was going to be however I like the fact that people became valued for who they were and not the color of their skin and a family was forever changed for good and bad
Marsha Dawson
Apr 03, 2016 Marsha Dawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book about an extended family (including their former slaves) putting their lives back together after the Civil War. Two brothers, who fought on different sides in the war, must deal with the changes after the war. Race relations, industrial changes and progress make it difficult to settle back into their former lives.
Lesyle
Jul 06, 2016 Lesyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Angry Wife

This is the best novel of the year!!!! I even gave much thought to the subject matter, I am glad that I gave it a chance. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ms. Buck left us an legacy. This is a work of art...Great work, I want to read more of her work. I highly recommend this novel to open minded people only.
Marnie
Jun 20, 2015 Marnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting historical fiction book during the early days post slavery. Two brothers who fought on opposite sides of the war, must learn to adapt to the new tomorrow. Falls for a black woman and the other while actually falls in love does nothing. But must learn to adjust to the change of time. good read
Joanne
Apr 07, 2014 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite a departure from Buck's Asian themes! It was a thoughtful depiction of Southern life that changed forever after the Civil War. It was hard to have sympathy for selfish Lucinda and easy to admire the characters who were able to view the new world in shades of gray rather than in black and white.
Cindi
May 06, 2008 Cindi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the cost of 30 cents, I rescued this book from a shelf of bad romance novels at an off-brand thrift store. I'm only 1/3 of the way through, and I've already gotten my money's worth.

This book may be a difficult read in that it deals with race relations in post-civil war West Virginia. But Buck navigates this thorny topic with empathy and humanity. Can't wait to finish it.
Richard Stover
Jan 04, 2016 Richard Stover rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review

One of the best books I've read this year. Funny that at the end when they have Pearl S Bucks biography they don't mention this book. I guess she wrote so much that all couldn't be mentioned. Anyway, it is a very good story of the south just after the civil war.
Anna
May 22, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautifully written and one of the saddest books I have ever read. It is essentially the story of two brothers each trying to maintain his honor while dealing with difficult family situations and racism.
Leslee
Apr 20, 2016 Leslee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I obviously didn't read the Indonesian version, but that's the only one that came up in the search. I've enjoyed other books by Buck and was surprised that this one wasn't about China. You can't go wrong reading something she wrote.
Phyllis Adams
Not Buck's best work

I enjoy reading Buck's novels from China as opposed to this one about the American south. Set just after the civil war this book explores how the relationship between slaves and their masters evolved.
Elisabeth
Daisy
May 06, 2014 Daisy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best Pearl Buck I've ever read, but still, it's Pearl Buck. Can't go wrong.
Thomas Fuller
Ok

Decent historical fiction, a bit maudlin and sentimental. The attempt to confront racism would do better to look at it ugliness.
Dee Sun
Dec 05, 2015 Dee Sun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A interesting glimpse of humanity . People living in a new era of change but living with expectations of the old south.
John
Feb 15, 2016 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction, mexico
the first 200 pages were of a 5 star quality but the last 50 were not. it just seemed like she wanted to be done with the book.. i am glad that i read it though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tiger's Heart: The Story of a Modern Chinese Woman
  • The Outsider
  • Tell, Don't Show!
  • Mama Gena's Owner's and Operator's Guide to Men
  • How I Wrote My First Book: the story behind the story
  • Pride's Castle
  • American Dreams (Crown Family Saga, #2)
  • New Orleans Sketches
  • Characterization and Sensory Detail (Writing Active Setting #1)
  • Virgin Planet
  • Spring Fire
  • Psychic Intelligence: Tune In and Discover the Power of Your Intuition
  • Dynasty
  • The Ravagers (Matt Helm, #8)
  • Humorous Stories and Sketches
  • Bloody Passage
  • A Life In Hand
  • Strändernas svall
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more
More about Pearl S. Buck...

“At the southwest corner Malvern joined its fields to that of his nearest neighbor, John MacBain. Pierce held his horse just short of the border and looked across a meadow. Part of the MacBain house had been burned down. He had heard of it, but he had not seen it. Now it was plain. The east wing was grey and gaunt, a skeleton attached to the main house. Strange how crippled the house looked—like a man with his right arm withered! No, he was not going to let himself think about crippled men.” 1 likes
“I don’t know, Pierce. But I do know that when men are frightened and discontented they gather around any man who is not afraid.” 1 likes