Start by marking “1941: The Year That Keeps Returning” as Want to Read:
1941: The Year That Keeps Returning

1941: The Year That Keeps Returning

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A New York Review Books Original

The distinguished Croatian journalist and publisher Slavko Goldstein says, “Writing this book about my family, I have tried not to separate what happened to us from the fates of many other people and of an entire country.” 1941: The Year That Keeps Returning is Goldstein’s astonishing historical memoir of that fateful year—when the Ustasha,
Published November 5th 2013 by New York Review Books (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 1941, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1941

Tuck
a fantastic history of 1941 in and around zagreb. slavko is 13 when his dad is taken away by the ustasha, never to be seen again. then his mom gets arrested, so neighbors and friends take care of him and his little brother. then mom is finally sprung and they quickly boogie over to the italian zone of yugoslavia, and shortly thereafter all three join the partisans. though goldstein is a progressive his history seems very even handed and analyzes both sides for their inhumanity.
why the subtitle?
Jakey Gee

An engaging combination of the autobiographical and personal with the historic, and a must-read for the Yugo-watcher and Balkanophile. It's scrupulously balanced and fair, in a context where there is famously little balance on offer. He is - evidently - a good man.

Reading this, twenty years from 1991-1995, you also soon realise how little time, really, had elapsed between 1941-1945 and that next flare-up, giving it all a feeling of terrible inevitability (though it needn't have been inevitable,
Wf Munn
A valuable contribution to understanding the Balkan Holocaust and Nazi collaboration in Croatia.
Gail Hedlund
Overall this book was good. I sometimes got lost in facts & figures. Facts & figures are important, but not when the people those facts & figures represent "get lost". I thoroughly enjoyed when the author told about his family & friends struggle to survive. People I can see in my mind & the places they lived or were held captive.
I also enjoyed how he linked what was going on then with the present day world. I whole-heartedly believe that if we fail to remember the past AND LE
Deborah
If you have an interest in what happened to Croatia right before, during, and right after WWII, I recommend this book. I would have liked more discussion about the Serbian experience in Lika-Senj County, but I enjoyed the discussion of what the different ethnic groups went through. This book is a good reminder that people can do horrible things, that ideals and power need to be checked, and that--sadly--innocent people often suffer because of others' actions.
Virginia Ferris
Virginia Ferris marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Pip
Pip marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Aubrie
Aubrie marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
GT
GT marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Abdallah Mostafa Fayed
Abdallah Mostafa Fayed marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Dipanjan
Dipanjan marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Hend
Hend marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Krzysiek
Krzysiek marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jasenovac i Bleiburg nisu isto Pet poduzetnika Povijest grada Zagreba: od prethistorije do 1918. Dnevnici Radija "Slobodna Evropa"