Start by marking “1941: The Year That Keeps Returning” as Want to Read:
1941: The Year That Keeps Returning

1941: The Year That Keeps Returning

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A New York Review Books Original

The distinguished Croatian journalist and publisher Slavko Goldstein says, “Writing this book about my family, I have tried not to separate what happened to us from the fates of many other people and of an entire country.” 1941: The Year That Keeps Returning is Goldstein’s astonishing historical memoir of that fateful year—when the Ustasha,
Published November 5th 2013 by New York Review Books (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 1941, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1941

Tuck
Feb 10, 2014 Tuck rated it it was amazing
a fantastic history of 1941 in and around zagreb. slavko is 13 when his dad is taken away by the ustasha, never to be seen again. then his mom gets arrested, so neighbors and friends take care of him and his little brother. then mom is finally sprung and they quickly boogie over to the italian zone of yugoslavia, and shortly thereafter all three join the partisans. though goldstein is a progressive his history seems very even handed and analyzes both sides for their inhumanity.
why the subtitle?
Jakey Gee
Nov 25, 2013 Jakey Gee rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013

An engaging combination of the autobiographical and personal with the historic, and a must-read for the Yugo-watcher and Balkanophile. It's scrupulously balanced and fair, in a context where there is famously little balance on offer. He is - evidently - a good man.

Reading this, twenty years from 1991-1995, you also soon realise how little time, really, had elapsed between 1941-1945 and that next flare-up, giving it all a feeling of terrible inevitability (though it needn't have been inevitable,
Wf Munn
Jan 23, 2014 Wf Munn rated it really liked it
A valuable contribution to understanding the Balkan Holocaust and Nazi collaboration in Croatia.
Gail Hedlund
Apr 26, 2014 Gail Hedlund rated it liked it
Overall this book was good. I sometimes got lost in facts & figures. Facts & figures are important, but not when the people those facts & figures represent "get lost". I thoroughly enjoyed when the author told about his family & friends struggle to survive. People I can see in my mind & the places they lived or were held captive.
I also enjoyed how he linked what was going on then with the present day world. I whole-heartedly believe that if we fail to remember the past AND LE
Deborah
Mar 30, 2015 Deborah rated it really liked it
If you have an interest in what happened to Croatia right before, during, and right after WWII, I recommend this book. I would have liked more discussion about the Serbian experience in Lika-Senj County, but I enjoyed the discussion of what the different ethnic groups went through. This book is a good reminder that people can do horrible things, that ideals and power need to be checked, and that--sadly--innocent people often suffer because of others' actions.
Brian
Jan 07, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it
A really nice blend of memoir and history, though the personal storytelling was better done than the context bits.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Saša Romić
Saša Romić marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Daniel Fevrin
Daniel Fevrin marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Igor Despot
Igor Despot rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Ivan Dukić
Ivan Dukić marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Mathias
Mathias marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Patrick Cooley
Patrick Cooley marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Debra
Debra marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Norah
Norah marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Emma Jennings
Emma Jennings marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Aaah
Aaah marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Ann Grise
Ann Grise marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Ina Cawl
Ina Cawl rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Marko
Marko marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Nissa
Nissa marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Tara Finger
Tara Finger marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Trieste
  • The Mirador: Dreamed Memories of Irene Nemirovsky by Her Daughter
  • No Ordinary Men: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Hans von Dohnanyi, Resisters Against Hitler in Church and State
  • Midnight in the Century