Start by marking “The Mystic Rose (The Celtic Crusades: Book III)” as Want to Read:
The Mystic Rose (The Celtic Crusades: Book III)

The Mystic Rose (The Celtic Crusades #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,139 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Stephen R. Lawhead's Celtic Crusades saga has won widespread critical acclaim and a legion of loyal readers. Now, he returns with the final volume in this magnificent series -- a tale rich in history and imagination, filled with danger, betrayal, courage, and faith, as the third generation of a Scottish noble family continues its eternal quest to secure the divine on earth ...more
Published October 2nd 2001 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystic Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystic Rose

Annette
Not as good as the first two, but worth the read to finish out the series. The characters were in general less believable and largely one dimensional and a few plot points and reversals of fortune strained credibility still further. More than in the fist books, the "Crusaders" (in particular the Templars) were presented as black to the more nuanced gray-to-white of other groups such as the Moors. To be fair not all Christians were painted with the same brush: the Cele De continued to "shine" as ...more
Neil
This is the third and final book in the Celtic Crusade series. I thought it was a good book, overall. It had a nice flow to it; it introduced the reader to other cultures and experiences throughout Europe and parts of the Middle East. It also had some weird leaps and jumps in logic, but c'est la vie. I am not quite sure how much it took away from the story, but the ending was a nice twist.

This one starts out with Duncan and Cait in Constantinople attending the wedding of one of the Emperor's rel
Josiah Degraaf
This book had great character arcs and a strong villain. While I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous book, it was still a good finish for the series. Lawhead knows how to write, and there were several very poignant scenes in the book that are able to create very clear images in your head about what's going on. Like with the other books, I feel like it exalts "Christian artifacts" too much, however, barring that, it was an otherwise good read.

3.5-4 stars. (Very Good)
Elaine
A most satisfying conclusion to this stunning trilogy by gifted author Lawhead.The responsibilty for the grail is passed down to the grandaughter of Murdo, the original pilgrim and guardian. Although there isn't as much action as there was in the previous two segments, this final installment nonetheless is simply page turning. Some wonderful characters (especially Cait, and the Nordic contingent), ensure that speculation and twists in the plot are never far away. The more up to date segments imp ...more
Jared Leonard
In this last installment we find Caitriona, the granddaughter of Murdo and the daughter of Duncan, embarking on what will be the final relic collected by this family. The "mystic rose" is another name for the Holy Grail, as those of you who've read the Davinci Code probably already know. Lawhead brings this adventurous trilogy to a fine conclusion and if you've made it through the previous two books, this is a must read.
Keith
Not as compelling as Black Rood, but still well done. Mystic Rose is a nice rap up of the series. I’m not exactly sure where others get pagan mysticism from this, but the secret society bit I found distracting not only in this book but the series as a whole. Not that it was poorly done, just that I didn't see that it was at all necessary.
Meghan
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. A couple of plot twists that weren't quite believable, but on the whole an excellent story and conclusion to the series. I loved the main character and her transformations, as well as finding out what the purpose of the young Scottish narrator was.
Kate
This is my absolute favorite book in the Celtic Crusades trilogy. I love the main character, Cait. She is everything I could hope to be as a woman! Adventuresome, fiery, honest, struggling... This story is one that I will read and read again.
Adam Ross
Again, compellingly written and I think that Lawhead's other works are of excellent quality, but he tries to mix Christianity and pagan mysticism together and the effect is distracting to the believer.
Annika
The final book in the trilogy. I'm a bit sad to see it end. This one didn't seem to have quite the same drama as the first two, but I still enjoyed the read. Look forward to exploring more by Lawhead.
Georgie Penn
This series was getting just a little old by the third book. It took me forever to read it, not just because I was busy, but it really didn't hold my interest. Rather cliche as well.
Rob
The Mystic Rose I believe was my favorite book from the Celtic Crusades series! I thought Lawhead's depiction of the vision Cait had was beautifully written.
Dom&Karen
Dom: Good historical fiction, quick read. I like stories with the plot of 'you meant it for evil but God meant it for good'.
Deb Mcintyre
It was good. Overall I liked the first one in this series better than the rest.
Rachel
Third in the Celtic Crusades books. Love the story and all the history--very fun.
Jeff Noble
Fantastic historical fiction series. You can't go wrong here.
Steve Haas
As good as most of Stephen Lawhead's Books.
Kristen Thorley
Favorite Christian Fantasy Author of all time
Dmack
not as good as 1st two but still ok
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Onalee
Onalee marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Estelle
Estelle is currently reading it
Dec 10, 2014
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
  • The Mosaic of Shadows
  • Behold the Dawn
  • The Rose of York: Fall from Grace (The Rose of York Trilogy, #3)
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • The Hand That Bears the Sword
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • Vagabond (The Grail Quest, #2)
  • The Realms Thereunder (The Ancient Earth, #1)
  • Healer (The Brides of Alba #1)
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
  • Dream Stone (Chalice Trilogy, #2)
  • Beloved Enemy: The Passions of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Lazarus Trap
  • Whisper on the Wind (The Great War, #2)
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • Raven's Ladder (The Auralia Thread, #3)
  • C.S. Lewis: A Life Inspired
  • The Conquest
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...
Taliesin (The Pendragon Cycle #1) Hood (King Raven, #1) Arthur (The Pendragon Cycle #3) Merlin (The Pendragon Cycle, #2) Scarlet (King Raven, #2)