Start by marking “The Mystic Rose (The Celtic Crusades #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mystic Rose (The Celtic Crusades #3)

The Mystic Rose (The Celtic Crusades #3)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,346 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Stephen R. Lawhead's Celtic Crusades saga has won widespread critical acclaim and a legion of loyal readers. Now, he returns with the final volume in this magnificent series -- a tale rich in history and imagination, filled with danger, betrayal, courage, and faith, as the third generation of a Scottish noble family continues its eternal quest to secure the divine on earth ...more
Published October 2nd 2001 by Harper Voyager (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystic Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystic Rose

Annette
Not as good as the first two, but worth the read to finish out the series. The characters were in general less believable and largely one dimensional and a few plot points and reversals of fortune strained credibility still further. More than in the fist books, the "Crusaders" (in particular the Templars) were presented as black to the more nuanced gray-to-white of other groups such as the Moors. To be fair not all Christians were painted with the same brush: the Cele De continued to "shine" as ...more
Lance
Aug 04, 2016 Lance rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
"It is in God's good pleasure that all of his many children might sit with one another so that harmony and understanding may increase."

This was the final instalment in the Celtic Crusades series - and I am happy to say that this was the best yet. The vibrant and atmospheric descriptions and a cast brimming with complex and intriguing characters made for a suspenseful climax to the series. Lawhead has shown his mastery of the trilogy by crafting the series so that the final book is even more dens
Neil
This is the third and final book in the Celtic Crusade series. I thought it was a good book, overall. It had a nice flow to it; it introduced the reader to other cultures and experiences throughout Europe and parts of the Middle East. It also had some weird leaps and jumps in logic, but c'est la vie. I am not quite sure how much it took away from the story, but the ending was a nice twist.

This one starts out with Duncan and Cait in Constantinople attending the wedding of one of the Emperor's rel
Josiah DeGraaf
Aug 06, 2014 Josiah DeGraaf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had great character arcs and a strong villain. While I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous book, it was still a good finish for the series. Lawhead knows how to write, and there were several very poignant scenes in the book that are able to create very clear images in your head about what's going on. Like with the other books, I feel like it exalts "Christian artifacts" too much, however, barring that, it was an otherwise good read.

3.5-4 stars. (Very Good)
Elaine
Sep 10, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most satisfying conclusion to this stunning trilogy by gifted author Lawhead.The responsibilty for the grail is passed down to the grandaughter of Murdo, the original pilgrim and guardian. Although there isn't as much action as there was in the previous two segments, this final installment nonetheless is simply page turning. Some wonderful characters (especially Cait, and the Nordic contingent), ensure that speculation and twists in the plot are never far away. The more up to date segments imp ...more
Arnoud Visser
Jan 24, 2016 Arnoud Visser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The heroin character is great. Headstrong, not always making the right decisions, but very believable. A pity that her main opponent, the head of the Templars, is so evil that it is no longer a character.
Matthew Fray
Feb 02, 2015 Matthew Fray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great trilogy. And (as far as I remember) a satisfying one.
Jeff
Apr 13, 2015 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
weakest of the three in the series.
Jared Leonard
Apr 14, 2007 Jared Leonard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In this last installment we find Caitriona, the granddaughter of Murdo and the daughter of Duncan, embarking on what will be the final relic collected by this family. The "mystic rose" is another name for the Holy Grail, as those of you who've read the Davinci Code probably already know. Lawhead brings this adventurous trilogy to a fine conclusion and if you've made it through the previous two books, this is a must read.
Keith
Feb 23, 2009 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as compelling as Black Rood, but still well done. Mystic Rose is a nice rap up of the series. I’m not exactly sure where others get pagan mysticism from this, but the secret society bit I found distracting not only in this book but the series as a whole. Not that it was poorly done, just that I didn't see that it was at all necessary.
Meghan
Oct 11, 2011 Meghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this one. A couple of plot twists that weren't quite believable, but on the whole an excellent story and conclusion to the series. I loved the main character and her transformations, as well as finding out what the purpose of the young Scottish narrator was.
Kate
Mar 25, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my absolute favorite book in the Celtic Crusades trilogy. I love the main character, Cait. She is everything I could hope to be as a woman! Adventuresome, fiery, honest, struggling... This story is one that I will read and read again.
Tom Lambrecht
May 27, 2016 Tom Lambrecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great finish to the trilogy. Not as much action as the previous volumes, but still suspenseful. I liked the way the author wove an authentic Christian faith throughout the series, and no less in this book.
Adam Ross
Jan 17, 2009 Adam Ross rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Again, compellingly written and I think that Lawhead's other works are of excellent quality, but he tries to mix Christianity and pagan mysticism together and the effect is distracting to the believer.
Annika
Jan 24, 2013 Annika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the trilogy. I'm a bit sad to see it end. This one didn't seem to have quite the same drama as the first two, but I still enjoyed the read. Look forward to exploring more by Lawhead.
Georgie Penn
This series was getting just a little old by the third book. It took me forever to read it, not just because I was busy, but it really didn't hold my interest. Rather cliche as well.
Tome Addiction
The third book in the series better than the second book but not as good as the first.

You have to start at the beginning so go read the 'The Iron Lance".
Rob
Oct 17, 2012 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mystic Rose I believe was my favorite book from the Celtic Crusades series! I thought Lawhead's depiction of the vision Cait had was beautifully written.
Dom&Karen
Dom: Good historical fiction, quick read. I like stories with the plot of 'you meant it for evil but God meant it for good'.
Deb Mcintyre
It was good. Overall I liked the first one in this series better than the rest.
Rachel
Mar 05, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Third in the Celtic Crusades books. Love the story and all the history--very fun.
Jeff Noble
Dec 28, 2012 Jeff Noble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic historical fiction series. You can't go wrong here.
Steve Haas
Feb 20, 2014 Steve Haas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As good as most of Stephen Lawhead's Books.
Kristen Thorley
Favorite Christian Fantasy Author of all time
Dmack
not as good as 1st two but still ok
Suzanne
Apr 29, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great series!
Goddess of Chaos
Goddess of Chaos marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Mike Rafferty
Mike Rafferty rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
  • The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1)
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Undercurrent
  • The Winning of Barbara Worth
  • My Merlin Series (The Complete Trilogy)
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • The Realms Thereunder (The Ancient Earth, #1)
  • Haunted Tree (The Magus Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hand That Bears the Sword
  • Rite of Conquest (William the Conqueror, #1)
  • Harald Hardrada: The Last Viking
  • Not for Glory (The Douglas Trilogy #3)
  • The Amber Room
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Book of the Sword (Hallowed Isle, #1)
  • The Lazarus Trap
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
Stephen R. Lawhead is an internationally acclaimed author of mythic history and imaginative fiction. His works include Byzantium, Patrick, and the series The Pendragon Cycle, The Celtic Crusades, and The Song of Albion.

Also see his fanpage at Myspace:

Stephen was born in 1950, in Nebraska in the USA. Most of his early life was spent in America where he earned
More about Stephen R. Lawhead...

The Celtic Crusades (3 books)
  • The Iron Lance (The Celtic Crusades, #1)
  • The Black Rood (The Celtic Crusades, #2)