Start by marking “Einstein the Class Hamster” as Want to Read:
Einstein the Class Hamster

Einstein the Class Hamster

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  123 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Einstein the class hamster is from a long line of class hamsters. He knows lots of cool facts about science, art, and history—maybe even more than their sleepy teacher, Ms. Moreno. The class has a chance to compete in a trivia game show contest. But how can they get ready for the contest if Ms. Moreno keeps taking naps instead of teaching? More important, how can Einstein ...more
Published August 27th 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Einstein the Class Hamster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Einstein the Class Hamster

Angus
Aug 16, 2013 Angus rated it it was amazing
Hilarious antics of a class hampster, appropriately named Einstein and his best human friendm Ned, who can hear him talk. I read this aloud to my 7 year old. He was truly entertained. Included are fun facts about different topics delivered in a quiz show format which invite great interaction, especially at the end when the reader is challenged to see what they can remember. The facts are appropriately entertaining such as where on the planet you find the most mosquitos or which planet has dust d ...more
Chris
Oct 20, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
There was nothing trivial about fun facts--any class hamster could tell you that.

While I am a lover of trivia, I was somewhat skeptical going into this book, worrying it might cross that very thin line into pedantic condescension, being more about selling the idea that learning is fun than telling a fun story. Fortunately, I found my worries largely misplaced. Giving Einstein a quiz show obsession proved a natural vehicle for sharing fun facts and information, and allowed for the story to unfold
The Styling Librarian
Aug 23, 2014 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Einstein The Class Hamster by Janet Tashjian, illustrated by Jake Tashjian – Well, this is one hilarious book with a main character, Einstein, who would do anything to host a show called ANSWER… THAT QUESTION! And help students learn new information… because he is from a long line of class hamsters and is packed with cool facts. I enjoyed learning random facts throughout. My one little regret is that at the end of the book, there are interesting website “learn more” links shared but they are so ...more
Marcia
Mar 14, 2014 Marcia rated it liked it
This is a terrifically fun story, perfect for 3-4th grade readers. Einstein the class hamster loves trivia and games shows and can only be heard by Merlin the turtle and Ned, a quiet boy in class. The class has a sleep- deprived teacher, who nods off in class, and they finally get to audition for the game show, with Ned and Einstein's help. Interspersed with trivia tidbits, this is a quick, funny book for newly independent readers. The illustrations are the weak point, done by the author's son, ...more
Kristen
There is no question that this will resonate with its intended audience. It's funny and features a talking hamster. Kids in 2-4 grade, especially those who love silly (and some poop) humor, will love it. It's just not really my cup of tea. I did like the facts sprinkled in throughout. I'm always looking for books to hand to kids when they come in asking for a "funny book" and this one will definitely be added to my list, especially for those kids who are a little too young for Diary of a Wimpy K ...more
Stephanie Croaning
I felt very middle-of-the-road about this book. I liked the educational tidbits that were sprinkled through the story. It never hurts to learn some new trivia while reading! There's also some good lessons here, such as sulking never solves anything, so just get to work.

There were several things I didn't like about the story. First, the class hamster angle is done much better in the Humphrey series by Betty Birney. I also was not fond of some of the sophomoric components of the story -- throwing
Kristen Badger
Tashjian, J. (2013). Einstein the class hamster. New York: Henry Holt and Company.

This silly and easy to read chapter book is about a class hamster named Einstein who is obsessed with facts and game shows.

I would recommend this book to students who enjoy the My Weird School series, the Black Lagoon series, the Big Nate series and the Bad Kitty series.

Would recommend this for students in grades 2-4. Primary / Intermediate

From Follett Titlewave: Reviews & Awards

Booklist 09/01/13

Publishers We
Lady
Nov 07, 2013 Lady rated it liked it
I plan to use this book as our Kids' Book Club reading selection for December. Fun-spirited but filled with facts, it is perfect for a follow-up game show activity/program with young readers. Einstein the hamster is a bright and clever classroom pet (descended from a several generations of savvy classroom hamsters) who has lofty aspirations of achieving fame by hosting his own trivia game show and posing as substitute teacher in his classroom. I have one critique: I know the absurd elements are ...more
Theresa
Apr 01, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-2-3
Cute story. Class hamster, Einstein, is able to speak to just one student, Ned. Einstein is brilliant, as his name implies, and makes Ned the class hero by tutoring him for the quiz show Answer...that...question. Fun characters, Twinkles the python is the evil character, then there is Einstein, the class turtle and the teacher, Ms. Moreno who naps more than teaches.

Fun trivia is sprinkled through out the story. Fun, fast read.

Order these for library.
Hilary
May 21, 2014 Hilary rated it really liked it
This was an entertaining story that both my first grader and preschooler enjoyed. "Einstein's Tasty Tidbits" was one of my older daughter's favorite parts of the book. Having facts incorporated into the story was a huge bonus for her, as she is currently fascinated by odd facts and re-read those with relish. We're looking forward to a second book in the series.

Tanja
Aug 22, 2015 Tanja rated it liked it
A new series for younger readers by the successful mother-son team, famous for their My Life as a Book series. Young readers transitioning to slightly longer chapter books will appreciate the large font and cartoon-style illustrations as well as the humor and fun facts aka Einstein's Tasty Tidbits interspersed throughout the book.
Anne
Mar 18, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
Einstein is the class pet. He talks, but only Ned can hear him. Einstein loves trivia and wants to help his class learn, especially since the teacher is less than stellar. Illustrated by the author’s son. A good read for lower elementary, possibly struggling middle school students, but it does look and read young.
Alexina
Dec 27, 2014 Alexina rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-read, battle-books
Protagonists: Einstein (the hamster) and his best friend Ned

Supporting characters: Marlon (turtle), Twinkles (python), Ms. Moreno (teacher), Bonnie (classmate)

Einstein helps Ned prepare himself and his class for a trivia game show.

Good book for young readers, 3rd-4th grade or younger.
Lori
Dec 29, 2015 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile, humour
Cute, funny story about Einstein, the class hamster, who becomes determined to save the school library when it is closed due to budget cuts.
Full of fun facts- or rather Einstein's Tasty Tidbits - throughout this would be a great one for those reluctant readers.
Kristen
Nov 22, 2014 Kristen rated it liked it
Here's a fantastic choice for kids who only want to read Guinness World Records books or Ripley's Believe it or Not!, but who are forced to read fiction instead. It's packed full of fun facts, the format is full of illustrations, and the plot is slight but moves quickly.
Jun 30, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
This is a fun book. Lots of random trivia and humor...great for 3rd grade level readers. It isn't text heavy and is in short chapters. I liked the random facts...keeps the reader interested. Great classroom library addition (once Liam is done with it!).
Franki Sibberson
May 27, 2014 Franki Sibberson rated it really liked it
This book is really funny and perfect for 3rd graders. A good mix of text and pictures so perfect for transitional readers.I laughed out loud several times while reading it. I can think of lots of kids who will love it.
Darby
Sep 09, 2015 Darby rated it it was amazing
this book was so so cool i love you books. this is not the only i am reading of yous. i am reading My Life As A Book. my name is Darby. i hope i can meet you one day!
Bethe
Apr 16, 2014 Bethe rated it liked it
Fun little third grade type of book with silly humor about a knowledgable class pet wanting his own quiz show, sprinkled with tasty trivia tidbits.
Kari Worsham
Sep 22, 2014 Kari Worsham rated it liked it
Great for K-4, boys will love it, along the lines of Captain Underpants, Ellray Jakes, and Wimpy Kid.
Kathleen Guinnane
Oct 21, 2015 Kathleen Guinnane rated it liked it
Shelves: school
A weird little story about a trivia loving hamster. He can communicate with one kid in the class and assists the class study to get on a TV show while the teacher sleeps at her desk. It's weird, but my students will like it.
Catherine
Feb 12, 2016 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
Cute book. It is perfect for elementary school children. Loved the drawings.
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 07, 2016 Carterkempgmail.Com rated it liked it
Much like Arnie the Doughnut or Bad Kitty. May be popular.
Diane
Sep 14, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Ned is the only kid in class that can hear Einstein, the class hamster. Which is too bad because it is Einstein's dream to teach the class by emceeing "Answer that Question." When Ms. Moreno decides her class should audition for the game show "Kids Know Stuff", Einstein is sure this is his big chance. And, in a way, it is because Ned takes him home for the weekend and they study for the contest.

Interspersed with "Einstein's Tasty Tidbits" and humorous illustrations, this should be a favorite of
Debra
Feb 21, 2014 Debra rated it liked it
Perfect for third grade and up. I like the informational section at the end of each chapter, called einsteins's tasty tidbits.
Oct 12, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Einstein, the class hamster who can only talk to Ned, wants nothing more than to host a quiz show. When Ned's class tries out for a class quiz show, Einstein helps Ned prepare his classmates. Each chapter ends with some of Einstein's favorite facts, presented in paragraph form. The book is charming enough, though I didn't care for the class covering up for the sleepy teacher's ways. I also didn't love the illustrations, though the are a fine compliment for the text.
Brandi Rae
Sep 19, 2013 Brandi Rae rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I think the intended audience will really enjoy it; however I found the "Einstein's Tasty Tidbits" to interrupt the flow of the story too much for my taste. They were interesting, but maybe if there were fewer of them?

Overall entertaining, I'll definitely be handing this to the kids who like the diary/comic format, particularly the ones who want to read Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Loser List but aren't really old enough for those titles.
Marge Keller
Sep 06, 2014 Marge Keller rated it liked it
Cute - good for third and fourth graders especially struggling readers. A lot of picture support.
Carol
Nov 18, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
I think 1st-3rd graders will enjoy this series. I wasn't such a huge fan. Einstein's personality was actually quite annoying. The illustrations were kind of odd too, he really didn't look like any hamster I have ever seen.
Anastasia Tuckness
This was a pretty fun read about a class hamster who knows many facts and uses them to prep the classroom for a quiz show.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Janet Tashjian is a middle-grade and young adult novelist who’s been writing books for children for fifteen years. Her first novel Tru Confessions was made into a critically acclaimed Disney TV movie starring Clara Bryant and Shia LaBeouf. The Gospel According to Larry is a cult favorite and Fault Line is taught in many middle and high schools. Her novels My Life As a Book, My Life As a Stuntboy, ...more
More about Janet Tashjian...