Start by marking “Fall Ball” as Want to Read:
Fall Ball

Fall Ball

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Bobby and his friends wait all day for school to end and for their chance to play outdoors in the fall weather. Flying leaves, swirling colors, and crisp air make the perfect setting for a game of football with Sparky the dog.

The kids are surprised by how quickly it gets dark, and even more surprised when it begins to snow. But there’s no need to worry—the chilly nights ah
Published September 3rd 2013 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Fall Ball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall Ball

Fall Ball by Peter McCarty is a story filled with fall colors, leaves, and fun. The pages capture the whirl and twirl of the leaves dancing in the crisp air of autumn. And the anticipation! That can’t wait to get home from school and play feeling. I could feel how much those kids wanted to jump into a game of football, running and more. I wanted to dive into that big pile of leaves myself and roll around! :)

BUT I was a bit disappointed with the end. The words and pictures moved with such energy
Meg Stolte
Fall Ball is a fun story about a group of children coming home on the bus, who decide to play football together. The story is set in late fall, as the kids rake up the leaves and jump through them during football, and then it begins to snow as they’re called inside for dinner. At the end of the story, they have dinner and watch more football on TV.
This would be a fun story to read for grades K-2, particularly with children from families that enjoy watching football, or perhaps those with older
Shannon
I hate football. But I know a new baby who needs this book, so it definitely fills a need for more charming football books in the publishing industry.
Jane G Meyer
I was attracted to this picture book on the library shelf because of the illustrations. Peter McCarty's style is whimsical and full of floating children, dogs, leaves, a bus--and I just love being airborne. (I was a gymnast.) The story is simple--about an outdoor fall, football game, with an underlying theme of kids playing outdoors until it's dark, and watching football on TV with the family on a Monday night...

If you're an avid, crazed football fan. Then this book is for you and your kids.

Brindi
I'm very sad to report that I found this book to fall flat and was a total let down. I was all excited about a children's picture storybook on football and knew I'd share it with the kiddos in the fall. I really enjoyed the illustrations, very fall-ish, but the story itself feel short to say the least. No fun at all, hardly anything baout the kids actually playing the game...it seemed to have lost it's focus and wasn't well developed. I giving it 2 stars because it's "supposed" to be about footb ...more
Travis
Dec 19, 2013 Travis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kid
What's better than football in the fall? This book has no moral or lesson to teach, but not every children's book needs to do that. The text and pictures are both crisp and clean. Lots of action is packed into the 32 pages. The illustrations are very distinctive; at first I didn't really like them but now I appreciate how different they are from so many other cartoonish picture books. And my 16 month old son loves to look at every page.

Once again, I don't review every children's book but after r
Romelle
FALL BALL by author/illustrator Peter McCarty is a day-in-a-life story of 9 kids (with Bobby as the MC) experiencing the arrival of Fall through football. Told in present-tense, this whimsical story lacked interest. What I love most about the book is the illustrations, which were done in pen, ink and soft water colors which showcase the beautiful fall leaves.

5 stars for illustration!
Diane
After school in Autumn: Riding the school bus home in anticipation of playing ... footballs and piles of leaves ... Playing until it gets dark out ... going home to a cozy, warm house with good things to eat.

The memories of childhood days gone by in descriptive language and charming illustrations.
Brenda Kahn
Pick-up football game after school? Parents at home to call kids in when it gets dark? What is this? Historical fiction? Not my favorite McCarty, but I love the mood he sets and wish more kids had this experience.
Katie Fitzgerald
This is not my favorite of McCarty's books, as I really like Jeremy Draws a Monster and Henry in Love, but it gets four stars from me because of how perfectly it captures the way children experience Fall. The gold and brown color scheme of the illustrations, the continual stream of falling leaves on each page, and the way each of the kids' hair looks slightly windblown give me the sensation of a little chill in the air. I also love the cool blue of the sky as night begins to Fall, and the fact t ...more
Barbara
As do many school children, Bobby and his friends can't wait for the school day to end so that they can go home and play football. All of them enjoy the game except for Jimmy who must rake the leaves. Sparky the dog turns out to be a football star, stealing the ball and leaping into the leaves at every chance he gets. All too soon, the game ends since it gets dark early at this time of the year. The pen, ink, and watercolor illustrations fit this story perfectly since both of them capture well a ...more
Becky
I wanted to like this book because I love the illustrations, but besides that it really didn't have much going for it I'm afraid.
Bonnie
Cute & simple story thst touches on football (playing & watching) and Fall weather.
Sheri Radford
This picture book didn't seem to have much of a point.
Susan Heskin
I read "Fall Ball" to two 2nd-grade classes and they loved it!! Of course, it was in Wisconsin the day after a big Packer/Viking game on TV, but what the kids really loved were the silly pictures of the kids, the funny dog, the tackling and crashing into the leaves, and just the idea of playing neighborhood games with friends. I agree with the other reviewers that there is no compelling story, and it really isn't a book about football. It is much more of an atmosphere book, and that age range se ...more
Andrea
This is a great fall story time book. It about a group of kids (both genders) who all live in the same neighborhood and go to the same school. They are excited about the end of the school day so they can all get together and play football. When at last it comes time they run into trouble with a dog and leaves, but in the end a great day.

McCarty does a wonderful job with both text and illustrations. The use of autumnal colors coupled with the guileless pictures left this reader with the overall
Abby Turner
Fun with quirky art. I actually loved it.
Monica Williams
Sports fans will find much to love here.
Lauren
Cute book about fall and football--two of my favorite things. I absolutely LOVE the drawings--the colors, the characters, the whimsical quality are all quite fabulous. Storywise, a fun premise, though I didn't like how it ended. Kind of abrupt and didn't flow well from the point of the kids getting called in to supper to the end. I thought he should have done more with the dog/leaf pile fiasco first. That said, still a sweet book--and my 2nd grader (a huge fan of football, dogs, kiddos, and sill ...more
Shannonmde
Nov 22, 2014 Shannonmde added it
Shelves: 2014
FOOTBALL!!
Karen Arendt
This book is a celebration of Autumn (with leaves flying on all the pages), football (the children pay outside and when they have to come inside, find football on tv!) and winter. I love the illustrations by McCarty- they are fun, soft, and full of action. Plenty of browns, blacks, and golds- no red or orange leaves here. The illustrations are just perfect! The children's expressions are so happy! When night comes early (4:30!) the children go inside and it starts to snow! Reminds me of coming w ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
With Fall winding down, and Football season still going on, FALL BALL is the perfect book to pick up. With it's simplistic story, and simply fabulous illustrations, Peter McCarty has created book that kids of all ages will love. Full of fun, friendship, football, and a cold snowy night, this is a book I would highly recommend picking up.

Read the rest of my review here
Sharon Lawler
For me, the illustrations are the glory of this book. The kids resemble elongated balloons with faces, have spiked hair, and smallish arms and legs. The storyline has the kiddos waiting through the school day to ride the bus home and finally getting to play some neighborhood football! Leaves flutter from the trees, the school bus bumps down the road, and the kids can't believe when their parents call them indoors as the snowflakes start to fall. Good choice for autumn to winter story time.
Samantha
Bobby and his schoolmates are excited for the end of the school day so that they can all enjoy the beautiful fall weather. The kids head out for a game of football and are called in once the weather changes and it starts snowing!

Pen, ink, and watercolor illustrations. I loved the rosy cheeks on everyone's faces and the way the illustrator captured twilight. Great seasonal read aloud for PreK-2.
Shelli
Fall Ball is a sweet little story with simple illustrations that does a lovely job of expressing the joys and sorrows fall may bring. Joy over the beautiful weather and thrills over jumping into freshly raked piles of leaves; sorrow over the earlier appearance of night time and having to go indoors sooner. A cute book to share with kindergarten age students or younger.
Andi
This was more a narration of an experience than a story, but I think kids will identify with the excitement of fall. It's calm and simple and could be read at bedtime as a wind-down. McCarty's beautiful palette and quirky children make up a little for the lack of story. There are a couple hat tips to the bunny ; )
Kristine Pratt
I loved this book, both the illustrations and the action. I loved how the leaves and the children just naturally came together. This was a delight to read. Adding the snow just made fall whip past so quickly, but then this is a November sort of book, and it's a very November sort of thing to happen. :)
Gps
a story about children in the fall and their pastimes, and the pen and ink drawings are wonderful. overall, however, the story lacks substance and plot…and somehow ending up in front of the TV at the end of an albeit busy day is not the best message for a book to send.
Beverly
This was a good addition to football picture books for preschoolers (and there just aren't enough of them). The pen, ink & watercolor illustrations are muted, in fall colors of brown, rust, sage, etc. The story is short and suitable for story time.
Andrea

It is ok, but I don't really like the way it introduces a totally new concept on a page and then jumps to another one on the next page. I didn't even get what the point was until I read the goodreads description of the book.
  • Hoot Owl, Master of Disguise
  • I Know a Bear
  • When Charley Met Grampa
  • The Bear's Sea Escape
202298
I was born in 1966 in Westport, Connecticut right in the middle of two older brothers and two younger sisters. We kept our mother busy while my father worked long hours at IBM. Most of my childhood was spent in my head. I was usually recreating a battle from World War II or running from dinosaurs in prehistoric times. To this day, I develop characters and environments based on worlds I first creat ...more
More about Peter McCarty...
Hondo & Fabian Jeremy Draws a Monster Henry in Love Chloe The Monster Returns