Start by marking “Deadly Hearts (Descent, #0.6)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Hearts (Descent, #0.6)

Deadly Hearts (Descent 0.6)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  345 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Dead divorcees. Demonic possession. Elise Kavanagh stabbing things and...baking cookies? It's just another bloody Valentine's Day in the life of a demon hunter and her witchy partner.

This is a short story about the length of two chapters in my other books (9000 words), which takes place before the events of Death's Hand. It's a gift to my existing readers, who believe deep
Published February 6th 2013 by Red Iris Books

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Hearts

Kelly
Aug 16, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I think the funniest thing IN THE WORLD is Elise trying to pull off the housewife thing. She is seriously not cut out for baking and playing nice. Which works well when she's kicking demon ass but is unnerving when she's attempting to go undercover as James's wife.

Hold on. I'm imagining the penetrating stare coming from a lady wearing oven mitts right now.

*shudders*

As short as it is, this story packs a lot of wallop. Besides the whole housewife Elise thing, we get a hint at the sad, powerful lov
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This is too good to be true! Elise Kavanagh channelling her inner Martha Stewart?! Yes! Elise Kavanagh trying to rip a demon’s heart out? Yes! A demon’s chest exploding in a geyser of hot and sulfurous blood? Yes, yes, yes! This is one hell of a prequel to the Descent series! A short story it may be but it is absolutely brilliant and I enjoyed it as much as any other instalment in the series.

This is pure, concentrated Descent. Cool, entertaining, dark, emotional, gruesome and so much fun to rea
Purr More
Elise and James pose as a normal couple with a haunted house in order to catch a demon that has possessed a charlatan exorcist. And apparently Elise doesn't bake...ever. Cookies anyone?

I picked up this short story, which is related to the Descent series, without having read any of the other books. I have a couple of them on my Kindle but just haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I was looking for a Valentine's Day read and saw this one. I really liked the cover and decided to give it a whi
Tanya Searle
Sep 05, 2014 Tanya Searle rated it really liked it
Read this for free on S.M Reine's website. Definitely worth a read, whether you've read the series or not. Excellent chance to see a snippet into the past, involving Elise, James, Mac and Letisha. And It's Free!
Nereid
Feb 25, 2013 Nereid rated it really liked it
Shelves: descent-series
I have been a fan of Sara's for quite some time and really enjoy her writing style and this short story is no exception. I would recommend reading the Descent series first before reading this book but it is not essential as you can still pick up most of the story though some comments may elude you. This is very much a tongue in cheek style of Valentine's Day Romance with very little romance apart from a Stepford Wife kind of feel to it with Elise baking cookies for James. If you have read her ot ...more
Clare Anstead
Jan 03, 2015 Clare Anstead rated it it was amazing
Great little novella. Adds a bit of padding to the will they, won't they?
Katja
Mar 08, 2013 Katja rated it it was amazing
I like these short stories very much. The writing is great as usual, but it was also lovely to get more insight how it was for Elise and James before the Descent-series. It's somewhat lighter, yet this was heartbreaking. There's no serious spoilers to anything, but I'd still recommend to only read this after Damnation Marked.
Carrie
Jun 17, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This was a really cute little short story about James and Elise. You get a little additional glimpse into their life before Death's Hand. I gobble up all James and Elise sexual tension and romantic drama, so this was a great little extra!
Heidi
Oct 01, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Very properly titled. Great little exorcism short story featuring Lucas, Elise and James. I just want to know what James was whispering about..
Alison (Lady Coffin) S
Jan 13, 2015 Alison (Lady Coffin) S rated it really liked it
Interesting prequel to the Descent series. With Elise, James and McIntyre oh, and a demon, because that is what Elise is all about
Rach3975
May 30, 2013 Rach3975 rated it liked it
A cute short story that accompanies the Descent novels. This one is free on the author's website.
Anna
Sep 04, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it
interest to read great storyline throughout the series
Renee Stephens
Mar 11, 2013 Renee Stephens rated it it was amazing
Creative short!
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Lisa Kubin
Lisa Kubin marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Shannon Tusler
Shannon Tusler rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Christine Kim
Christine Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Andrea Osterlund
Andrea Osterlund marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Danika
Danika marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Heather Collins
Heather Collins rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Karen Fentem
Karen Fentem rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Toni Olson
Toni Olson marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Kim Calloway
Kim Calloway marked it as to-read
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Thomas Marx
Thomas Marx marked it as to-read
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Megan Mcdonald
Megan Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
  • Burning (Demon Legacy #0.5)
  • Never Say Such Things (A Fall Into Darkness Story)
  • Keys to the Coven: Demonic Intervention Series
  • Rebellion: The Outer Territory (Day of Sacrifice, #2)
  • Pandora's Box (Immortalis, #3)
  • The Queen of All Magick Elizabeth (Aaron's Kiss, #14)
  • Autumn Dawn (The Witchling, #2.5)
  • A Soul So Wicked (Moon Chasers #6)
  • Unearthed (Resistance, #3.5)
  • A Fiend In Need
  • Marked by Odin (Broods of Fenrir, #2)
  • A Slash of Savagery (Wiccan-Were-Bear #8)
  • Marked By Temptation (A Coven Pointe Novella)
  • Crimson Spell Bd. 4
  • Found (Penny Black #1)
  • Die Already
  • The Catalyst (Preternaturals, #3)
  • These Hellish Happenings
Hi everyone! My name is Sara, and I write urban fantasy and paranormal novels as SM Reine. I collect swords, cat hair, and typewriters (which I do use for writing!). It's a good day when those three things have nothing to do with each other.

If you would like to know the instant my next book is available, you should enlist in my Army of Evil! We have a wicked cool secret handshake, but you'll have
More about S.M. Reine...

Descent (7 books)
  • Death's Hand (Descent, #1)
  • The Darkest Gate (Descent, #2)
  • Dark Union (Descent, #3)
  • Damnation Marked (Descent, #4)
  • Dire Blood (Descent, #5)
  • Defying Fate (Descent, #6)
  • Paradise Damned (Descent, #7)

“Without the baggy clothes or oven mitts, she looked less like a cute young housewife and more like something that had crawled out of Hell.” 0 likes
“Elise didn’t hesitate to punch her hand into a man’s chest to pulverize a demon eyeball, but a batch of burned cookies could bring her to her knees.” 0 likes