Start by marking “Deadly Hearts (Descent, #0.6)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Hearts (Descent, #0.6)

Deadly Hearts (Descent 0.6)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Dead divorcees. Demonic possession. Elise Kavanagh stabbing things and...baking cookies? It's just another bloody Valentine's Day in the life of a demon hunter and her witchy partner.

This is a short story about the length of two chapters in my other books (9000 words), which takes place before the events of Death's Hand. It's a gift to my existing readers, who believe deep
Published February 6th 2013 by Red Iris Books

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Hearts

Kelly
I think the funniest thing IN THE WORLD is Elise trying to pull off the housewife thing. She is seriously not cut out for baking and playing nice. Which works well when she's kicking demon ass but is unnerving when she's attempting to go undercover as James's wife.

Hold on. I'm imagining the penetrating stare coming from a lady wearing oven mitts right now.

*shudders*

As short as it is, this story packs a lot of wallop. Besides the whole housewife Elise thing, we get a hint at the sad, powerful lov
Purr More, Censor Less
Elise and James pose as a normal couple with a haunted house in order to catch a demon that has possessed a charlatan exorcist. And apparently Elise doesn't bake...ever. Cookies anyone?

I picked up this short story, which is related to the Descent series, without having read any of the other books. I have a couple of them on my Kindle but just haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I was looking for a Valentine's Day read and saw this one. I really liked the cover and decided to give it a whi
oOSarahOo
This is too good to be true! Elise Kavanagh channelling her inner Martha Stewart?! Yes! Elise Kavanagh trying to rip a demon’s heart out? Yes! A demon’s chest exploding in a geyser of hot and sulfurous blood? Yes, yes, yes! This is one hell of a prequel to the Descent series! A short story it may be but it is absolutely brilliant and I enjoyed it as much as any other instalment in the series.

This is pure, concentrated Descent. Cool, entertaining, dark, emotional, gruesome and so much fun to rea
T.L. Searle
Read this for free on S.M Reine's website. Definitely worth a read, whether you've read the series or not. Excellent chance to see a snippet into the past, involving Elise, James, Mac and Letisha. And It's Free!
Nereid
I have been a fan of Sara's for quite some time and really enjoy her writing style and this short story is no exception. I would recommend reading the Descent series first before reading this book but it is not essential as you can still pick up most of the story though some comments may elude you. This is very much a tongue in cheek style of Valentine's Day Romance with very little romance apart from a Stepford Wife kind of feel to it with Elise baking cookies for James. If you have read her ot ...more
Katja
I like these short stories very much. The writing is great as usual, but it was also lovely to get more insight how it was for Elise and James before the Descent-series. It's somewhat lighter, yet this was heartbreaking. There's no serious spoilers to anything, but I'd still recommend to only read this after Damnation Marked.
Carrie
Jun 17, 2013 Carrie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This was a really cute little short story about James and Elise. You get a little additional glimpse into their life before Death's Hand. I gobble up all James and Elise sexual tension and romantic drama, so this was a great little extra!
Heidi
Very properly titled. Great little exorcism short story featuring Lucas, Elise and James. I just want to know what James was whispering about..
Rach3975
A cute short story that accompanies the Descent novels. This one is free on the author's website.
Michele Heaney
Michele Heaney marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Randi Campbell
Randi Campbell marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Quisha
Quisha marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Toni Burleson
Toni Burleson marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Rob Smith
Rob Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
L-D
L-D marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Vick
Vick marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Deanna Piper
Deanna Piper marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Unearthed (The Resistance Trilogy, #3.5)
  • Keys to the Coven: Demonic Intervention Series
  • Autumn Dawn (The Witchling, #2.5)
  • Traitor (Ava Delaney, #6)
  • Here Be Monsters - An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Marked by Odin (Broods of Fenrir, #2)
  • The Devil You Know (Demon Legacy #1)
  • Rebellion: The Outer Territory (Day of Sacrifice, #2)
  • A Fiend In Need
  • Fated Absolution (Aaron's Kiss, #6)
  • Crimson Spell Band 4
  • A Soul So Wicked (Moon Chasers #6)
  • These Hellish Happenings
  • Ice Gods
  • Shadows of Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun Series: Book 5)
  • Vengeance Borne (Sentry of Evil, #1)
  • Vampire Assassin (A Jane Novella)
Hi everyone! My name is Sara, and I write urban fantasy and paranormal novels as SM Reine. I collect swords, cat hair, and typewriters (which I do use for writing!). It's a good day when those three things have nothing to do with each other.

If you would like to know the instant my next book is available, you should enlist in my Army of Evil! We have a wicked cool secret handshake, but you'll have
More about S.M. Reine...
Six Moon Summer (Seasons of the Moon, #1) The Descent Series: Vol.1 (Descent, #1-3) Death's Hand (Descent, #1) All Hallows Moon (Seasons of the Moon, #2) Long Night Moon (Seasons of the Moon, #3)

“Without the baggy clothes or oven mitts, she looked less like a cute young housewife and more like something that had crawled out of Hell.” 0 likes
“Elise didn’t hesitate to punch her hand into a man’s chest to pulverize a demon eyeball, but a batch of burned cookies could bring her to her knees.” 0 likes