Start by marking “To Feel the Sun” as Want to Read:
To Feel the Sun

Read Book

To Feel the Sun

Sometimes love isn't enough...

From the author: Very short. Very sweet.

This story also available in print in the anthology Ever After: The Collected Short Works of Marie Sexton.
Published February 11th 2013 by Marie Sexton

To ask other readers questions about To Feel the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Feel the Sun

Muscling Through by J.L. MerrowSock it to Me, Santa! by Madison  ParkerOne of Those Days by Zathyn PriestStr8te Boys by Evangeline AndersonDangerous Ground by Josh Lanyon
Best M/M Novellas, Short Stories
64th out of 536 books — 240 voters
Protection by S.A. ReidOne More Soldier by Marie SextonFull Circle by Kaje HarperBloodlines by Andrea SpeedWhen Love Is Not Enough by Wade Kelly
Best Bittersweet M/M Books
15th out of 58 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Sheziss
Beautiful. Bittersweet.

Melancholic.

Super short but with lots of heart.

Atypical HEA, which means together but not in the usual sense.

*****

You can read/download the book for free here
Ingela
Written January 8, 2014

4 1/2 Stars - a mini-tiny shorty ...so wonderfully emotional and beautiful with a sun-warmed melancholy

What a pleasure to read these beautifully written few pages (just 8). My heart was broken, my eyes filled with tears and I drank in every sentimental words.

It's the summer of 1917 and in two twenty-year youths flare new, unexpected, strong feelings up. They find that most wonderful you can feel and share ...there under the warm summer sun.
 photo image_zpsee9f7278.jpg

‘He is warmth itself. Warmer t
Vio
May 22, 2013 Vio rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vio by: Tailtiu
Compelling love story, a touching dream and a beautiful one at that. I was immediately drawn in, the surroundings, thoughts and feelings are strong and beautifully heartfelt. Benjamin and Teddy are reunited and happy, the way they were meant to be. So lovely and I had hoped for a little more.
MishyJo
Aug 03, 2016 MishyJo rated it it was amazing
8 pages shouldn't be enough for tears to be running down my face. Free shouldn't be so good that I can't stop thinking about it.
4.5 Stars
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Beautiful. It made me cry in only 6 pages. Thanks for the gift, Marie Sexton.
Rach  *Feisty kitty*
Sep 08, 2013 Rach *Feisty kitty* rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rach *Feisty kitty* by: Lolita
Marie Sexton has an amazing talent for invoking emotions if I can cry and smile within 10 minutes reading an 8 page long novella!!

I will certainly be reading more of her books, this one was magical, tragic but gave me hope :)
Alvin
HEARTBREAKING.

I was in between books during my commute to my work. I want to read something short. And this one was on my library for quite a while. So I tried it, and oh my! What a short this is!

Benjamin and Teddy's affair was heartbreaking. I'm in almost tears while reading this during my commute. It's quite embarrassing. XD Their love for each other was pure and unadulterated. And I ached when I found out that (view spoiler)
Emma Sea
Holy Fuck! I thought this was supposed to be the cuddly blanket after the tearjerker. THE CUDDLY BLANKET, CHERYL!!

Now I need to put tissues on the shopping list again.

Another great pick for me, thank you Cheryl.
Justin
Oct 01, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it
Recommended to Justin by: Lolita
This is a mixed bag of emotions.....sad, sweet & hopeful, all in a few pages.

Definitely worth the 10-15 minutes to read!
Ann
Wow - look up bittersweet in the dictionary and this book is what you'll see. Amazing amount of feeling packed into a few pages, a perfect short and completely lovely.
Ami
Feb 10, 2013 Ami rated it liked it

1918. A dream within a dream. Melancholy. Bittersweet/Non-traditional HEA. A bit too short to make an impact for me though...
Nick Pageant
Sep 11, 2016 Nick Pageant rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Wow. This is a great short story. Melancholy and sweet. Loved it.
Macky
Sep 30, 2013 Macky rated it it was amazing
I love Marie Sexton. I love this beautiful poignant free story and I love that it was free. Very short but a true gem.
Trisha Harrington
I love Marie Sexton's writing so much. This was so beautiful.
Barbara
Apr 07, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: lovely-romance, m-m, wow
Marie Sexton’s writing is beautiful, a book in the summer of 1917, about friendship, love,hope, dreams…

photo f25c4ff1bb0056809cee0a0fbc9eb13a_zpsbda0a312.jpg

How can a book with 8 pag, touch me so deep… Definitely worth reading!
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
I was amazed that in 8 pages,the author was able to make me feel so many emotions.
I wish Ms. Marie Sexton you could hear all these people applaud,they are all cheering for you.A well deserved Hats off.

Love this small tale of love.
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Feb 11, 2013 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, freebies, ebook, shorty
Wow, this is just an amazing little shorty. I had a feeling from the beginning, and I was correct. This well written story brought forth strong emotions in just a few pages. Recommend for anyone looking for something a little different.
Mark
Jun 12, 2013 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-fiction
A short but poignant story about passing on and finding peace and love. Marie Sexton manages to pack so much emotion in a few pages. Incredible.
Irina
Sep 26, 2014 Irina rated it really liked it
Short and bittersweet.

***3.7 stars***
Catherine
How is it possible for an 8-page story written about two fictional characters that lived and loved and died nearly 100 years ago to hit too close to home?

You’d think it’d be impossible, but it is not.

I spent last summer interning at a war museum where I was responsible for researching a small group of First World War soldiers. I handled their medals. I helped photograph their uniforms. I sifted through their attestation papers, newspaper clippings, official dispatches describing promotions and a
Leigh
Feb 14, 2013 Leigh rated it it was amazing
What better a way to face the Monday blues? Well, by reading an amazing story from one of your favorite authors is one; having it be a freebie is just an added bonus!

TO FEEL THE SUN is an amazing vignette that takes place in 1918, and weaves a beautiful story of forbidden love. Benjamin and Teddy are childhood friends, but in 1917, they take that friendship another step further and explore each other as lovers. The time is not one that is conducive to the acceptance of homosexuality, however. Un
Bitchie *hates the new GR Homepage*
First time I ever wanted that to happen. Perfect little sweet, sad, but hopeful story. *wipes face* I'm not crying.
Em
Oct 18, 2016 Em rated it really liked it
Very touching and beautifully written with an unconventional HEA.
Sadonna
Feb 11, 2013 Sadonna rated it it was amazing
Achingly beautiful and poignant vignette. Lost and found love - perhaps not in the expected way, but appropriate nonetheless.
Lori
Feb 17, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Beautiful, happy, sad and poignant. A lovely short story.
Alex
Feb 19, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing
Overall
This short is worth the pain it puts you through. Beautiful and heart wrenching.

Review
This story is beautiful and painful. The reader knows, nearly from the beginning, that things aren't going to be happy go lucky. And yet there is still a positive feel to the end of the story. It has lovely prose, is well written, and while just a slice of life, it is the most poignant slice of life you can find.

I definitely recommend this to everyone, unless you absolutely hate pieces with sad undertone
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This is a free read by Marie Sexton and it's not one that readers would like to miss out on. It's short at 7 pages but what Sexton is able to accomplish within these seven pages is astounding. She brought to life characters and gave them a past and a love story that is timeless. So heartbreaking and poignant, Sexton has all the elements of a great story that is cut down to its bare essentials, making for a unique and memorable read.

Perco
It's sooo good! It has only 10 pages yet the story captivated me. It's HEARTWRENCHING. I felt the MC. He's longing, the love, the passion, in just a short time. It's great. He made connection with me. And Marie Sexton's writing is totally gorgeous! I'm surprised that I haven't read anything from her. I'll check her out now. The story is beautiful and the good thing is, it's FREEEEE!
Michelle
Nov 07, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Its amazing that Marie Sexton could make me feel so much in just 8 pages. This is amazing storytelling. When I read the very last line, I cried and felt my heart break. This story is...wow!
Dumbledore11214
Feb 11, 2013 Dumbledore11214 rated it it was amazing
This my friends is how you write short stories. I have nothing else to say about this little gem. Sob.
The Heidi and Mar...: Free short story coming on Monday! 12 16 Feb 09, 2013 06:35AM
  • Glitter
  • When You Were Pixels (Syntax #0.1)
  • Into Deep Waters
  • If It Ain't Love
  • His Grandfather's Watch
  • This is What a Cold Lake Looks Like
  • Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)
  • Brandon's Laughter
  • Falling Away
  • Trick of Time
  • Let's Hear It for the Boy
  • End of the Trail (End Of The Trail, #1)
  • A Competitive Edge
  • The Gig (Speechless #2)
  • Shawn's Voice
  • Words and Their Digestion
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Carte Blanche
Marie Sexton lives in Colorado. She’s a fan of just about anything that involves muscular young men piling on top of each other. In particular, she loves the Denver Broncos and enjoys going to the games with her husband. Her imaginary friends often tag along. Marie has one daughter, two cats, and one dog, all of whom seem bent on destroying what remains of her sanity. She loves them anyway.

Coda: W
More about Marie Sexton...