Start by marking “A Bitch Called Hope (Lennox Cooper, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bitch Called Hope (Lennox Cooper, #1)

A Bitch Called Hope (Lennox Cooper #1)

A Bitch Called Hope is the poker term for drawing the queen-eight in Texas Hold ‘Em. There’s not enough luck in the world to build a winning hand with those cards, but it’s so tempting to try.

Meet Lennox Cooper. She’s a smart poker player, a smart detective, but she’s got issues. A year ago her affair with a married cop got her fired from the Portland Police. Now she’s tr
Published February 26th 2013 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about A Bitch Called Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bitch Called Hope

CL
Apr 21, 2016 CL rated it it was amazing
Lennox Cooper has become a private investigator after she is thrown off the force when her partner is killed trying to protect her while she goes against protocol and places everyone in danger as she tries to protect her injured married policeman lover. Now she is struggling to make ends meet and playing poker to augment her income when the jobs are scarce. Her socialite mother is attending a party when her friend's husband is murdered and they blame the wife. Of course. Lennox gets herself hire ...more
Dawn
Jul 18, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it
Fast paced and full of action with some humor. Former copy, Lennox, now PI is just making it when her mother calls and has found the dead body of one of her friends. Lennox leaves Friday night poker to go get her.

At her mother's insistence, and positive thinking from Lennox she get the case. And she is working that case harder than ever and more like her cop background than the PI she is now.

This book is full out and it doesn't slow down from page one to the end. I look forward to reading more
Pamela
Feb 17, 2013 Pamela rated it really liked it
This is an exciting, fast paced, mystery with an appealingly different heroine. Finally, a book where the female detective is written as a full fledged adult who creates and solves her own problems. No mystery man lover appears to save her. She uses her own intelligence and skills to solve the crime.

The heroine, Lennox, was fired from her job as a homicide detective. Now she is eking out a living as a private detective. She is hired by a defense attorney to gather evidence in the defense of the
Caroline
Mar 29, 2013 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
I read this book on the plane from Portland to Louisville, KY. My husband read it on the way home . . . from Louisville to Portland via Washington, DC, which was perfect, because he reads more slowly than I do. When he got to the high-pitched ending, I couldn't stop myself from reading over his shoulder (enjoyed the ride as much the second time), and he started reading so fast I could hardly keep up!

The beginning drew me right in--what a character Lennox is, what a great bunch of guy friends sh
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
The title drew me in– the explanation of the poker term reference had me intrigued and I was not disappointed. What a ride! What a hand Lennox Cooper had drawn! A rollercoaster ride of action and intrigue, violence mixed in with the humanity of human failings and the universal need for love. Lennox Cooper is a modern day Kinsey Millhone – she is gutsy, heroic, smart, good at her job; the woman just needs a break and Mr Right.

This novel is a well crafted, fast paced explosion of action an
Kelly
Mar 06, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Well written, well paced, great heroine, great friendships. I only read a few mystery/noir novels a year, usually on vacation, and this is so much higher quality than what I usually pick up. I loved the sense of place and the well captured dreariness of a Portland winter.
James
Apr 05, 2013 James rated it really liked it
***minor spoilers below***

A strong debut. The author did a good job of capturing a hard-boiled pulp feel in a modern setting. When some writers attempt noir they try a little too hard, and cross the line from entertaining to ridiculous. While the author came close to going over the top in a few of her passages, she managed not to overdo it.

The main character is wonderfully gritty and very human - no Mary Sue here. I liked that even when she was successful, it wasn't pretty or perfect. If she's i
Joe
Apr 30, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing
They say you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover or title. But with a novel like A Bitch Called Hope, how can you not? I liked this one before I ever cracked the spine. (Figuratively speaking, since I pretty much exist entirely in the digital these days.)

A Bitch Called Hope, with its clever play on words, is Lily Gardner's debut and the story of Lennox Cooper, disgraced former cop forced to play PI, who's drawn into investigating the murder of a family friend, which may or may not invol
Susie Disher
Mar 22, 2013 Susie Disher rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it was a quick read and it was nice to have a strong female protaganist. She isn't perfect, which is also very nice, she is human! I really appreciated the fact that she doesn't need a man to rescue her! She gets in trouble on her own, and gets out it the same way I am so tired of 'love at first sight, I can't live without him' story lines in mystery/thriller books. None of that here, and I appreciate it. The book ends in a way that leaves you thinking the characters are goi ...more
T.K. Greenleaf
Mar 03, 2013 T.K. Greenleaf rated it it was amazing
One the reasons I don't read a lot of crime novels is that I can usually figure out whodunnit in the first ten pages. Not so with this one. This book has everything I look for in a novel: a smart woman detective with plenty of heart and a solid right hook; clever writing, a rich sense of place (if you've ever been to Portland, you'll recognize the landmarks: "Voodoo Donuts!"), and finally,
a blistering twister of a story that kept me guessing right up until the end. It took me on a wild ride, cov
Shay Williams
Jun 11, 2016 Shay Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, thriller
I might very well have found a new favorite character. Lennox Cooper is a brash, no nonsense PI that still thinks like a cop. But now she isn't bound by all those pesky rules.

Struggling to make ends meet by doing surveillance, Lennox has her big break dropped in her lap when an old family friend is murdered and his wife wants to know who did it. Of course, the wife isn't being that cooperative.

I am not one that can picture all of the beautiful pictures that some authors draw with their words so
Dee
Apr 26, 2016 Dee rated it it was amazing
Lennox Cooper was a cop until her partner died while Lennox was trying to save her lovers life during a shooting. Pulling herself together she starts her own Private Investigators business. Doing surveillance work, she is bored wishing she was a cop again. Until she gets a call from her mother Aurora who's at the home of her wealthy friends and the man has just died. She is hired by the widow to find out who killed her husband. Lennox is thrilled to not only use her detective skills, but hopes t ...more
Lauren Walters
Mar 30, 2013 Lauren Walters rated it it was amazing
This book was a fast-paced, intelligently written crime thriller. Once I picked it up, it was hard to put down. It's hard, as a reader, to decide who is guilty and who is innocent. Everyone is a suspect, and every single one of them has a motive. In books like this you can sometimes reason out yourself who could have done it, but I found myself changing my mind every chapter. Definitely glad I decided to read this.
Nichole Barocio
Apr 10, 2013 Nichole Barocio rated it really liked it
i had no clue what the title meant (until after reading the summary), but this is an eye-catching title. the strong points of this novel didn't end with the title. it's a murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the very end. the female main character, lennox, is "real". she makes mistakes and pays the price. an engaging, entertaining and quick read.
Crystal
Mar 13, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Great book!! Will keep you on your toes till the every end. It's hard not to fall in love with Lennox. She is strong, independent, and a kick ass detective. I really hope there is another book! I can't wait to read it if there is.
Ange
Dec 19, 2014 Ange rated it really liked it
"A Bitch Called Hope" is what professional poker players call a Queen-Eight combo in your hand. It gives you the hope to want to keep playing, but it's not going to win the hand. This is the trouble that former-Portland-cop-turned-detective Lennox finds herself in when an old family friend is murdered. She's got the hots for one of the prime suspects and the mounting evidence points to him as the culprit.

Personally, I love noir fiction and this combined just enough sultriness and lightheartednes
Donna Loux
Mar 22, 2013 Donna Loux rated it it was amazing
I read only a few pages a day to make it last because I didn't want it to end. I think I've found a replacement for Robert B Parker. Thank you Lily.
Tamara
Apr 29, 2013 Tamara rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fast paced crime thriller that kept me guessing until the very end.
Illustrious Illusions
Apr 20, 2016 Illustrious Illusions rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
Lennox is a fun character that is quirky and passionate.

She faces her issues head on and nothing is going to get in her way.

While I liked Lennox, I didn't much care for any of the other characters, which made this a bit of a one-dimensional read for me. The problem being I didn't feel anything for most of the character sin the book, so I didn't feel very invested.

They suspense in the book builds slowly and the writing is well done with goo descriptions. It just wasn't a page turner for me.
Vicki
Jun 20, 2013 Vicki rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting into the book, the first few chapters made me feel like this is just another depressing cop novel. However, I revisited the book a week later and it started to pick up. I enjoyed the mystery and stayed up late finishing it to find out how it would end. I did have a hard time believing the main character. In one part she is a tough, but caring ex cop who can get to the bottom of things, even if it means danger and conflict. On the other hand she is so blind to men's char ...more
Jay
Aug 01, 2015 Jay rated it liked it
sadly this book didn't live up to my expectations based solely on it's synopsis...
the story just kinds of plods along, interviewing suspects again & again, finally got some fast paced action towards the end when Lennox found herself in deadly danger. it was about this part of the book that I realised I was quickly running out of book with far too much story left to fit into it. so we get no trial, no idea what happened to the "murderer" that Lennox shot (no idea what happened to anyone reall
Dianne Mcrae
This was a nice mystery, written by a Portland author and located in Portland. It was fun to trace the steps of the Lady PI through the Metro area. I bought it because (I think) my cousin knows her. Her second book was published very recently -- when I read about the second book, I decided I should probably start with the first...
Dale Kurtz
Dec 09, 2014 Dale Kurtz rated it really liked it
Thank you Caroline Kurtz for the recommendation of this book. Esther and I both read this. I rarely read a mystery story but read this one. A good story set in Portland, Oregon with a woman as a private detective living in the world of cops and crime. Good on several levels.
Neil
Apr 22, 2016 Neil rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, thriller
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
This is a well written thriller with the characters having plenty of depth and great interaction.
Well worth a read and I will certainly be on the look out for more from this author.
Martha Brindley
Jun 26, 2016 Martha Brindley rated it really liked it
A good mystery and a great pace. I loved the lead character of Lennox, a private investigator. The plot was good with a little twist in the ending. I hope there will be another one to follow. Thanks to Net Galley for my copy.
Kathy Jennings
Jan 26, 2016 Kathy Jennings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Could not put this down Lennox is an exciting new protagonist. Hoping this becomes a series soon. This would be the next blockbuster series.
Linda Prokopy
Jun 14, 2014 Linda Prokopy rated it liked it
Decent airplane reading but there were parts of the story that didn't fully make sense. And the main character annoyed me on the love front.
Shai Norton
Jan 21, 2016 Shai Norton rated it really liked it
I. Loved. This. Yes, I did, despite the occasional urge to strangle the lead for Being A Freaking Idiot And Not Learning From Past Screwups, but, y'all, it was in a sisterly want to have a knock down drag out fight then go out drinking and wind up sharing mutual rants about Mom kind of way.

And hey, there's a sequel!
Barbara Kroon
Jun 07, 2013 Barbara Kroon rated it really liked it
Lily Gardner has given us a cracking fun mystery and a dandy heroine in her first novel. Lennox faces down the ghosts of her own past -- professional and personal, a couple of guys nobody wants to meet in a dark alley, and comes out tops. Lennox is my kind of gal and I'm looking foward to her next showdown.
Karri Bliek
May 25, 2013 Karri Bliek rated it liked it
A great title! A good read, the pace of the book was good, but I felt it lacking somehow. I am not a big reader of cop books, so maybe that is part of it. Lennox was likable and smart. I felt like I was waiting for something to happen throughout the book, an ok conclusion.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Mystery, Crim...: A noir with heart 1 7 May 14, 2013 03:49PM
Lily Gardner loves all things noir, fermentation, Motown, opera, and short-legged dogs.

"A Bitch Called Hope", a noir mystery set on the rainy streets of Portland, Oregon, is Lily’s first novel. Her second novel, "Betting Blind" will be released 3/29/16 by Diversion Books. "All In", the third in the Lennox Cooper series will be out in 2017. Lily lives in Portland with her husband, two corgis and se
More about Lily Gardner...

Lennox Cooper (2 books)
  • Betting Blind (Lennox Cooper, #2)

“There were men in their fifties, men who take a stab at fitness, men who try. They may not look young, but they still look viable. Lammers wasn't one of those. Lammers was one of those crack-in-the-ass guys ten months pregnant with a beer baby.” 2 likes
“about Tommy, you went through your whole life craving these little pockets of time and missing them for more time than you had them.” 2 likes