A Bitch Called Hope

A Bitch Called Hope

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A Bitch Called Hope is the poker term for drawing the queen-eight in Texas Hold ‘Em. There’s not enough luck in the world to build a winning hand with those cards, but it’s so tempting to try.

Meet Lennox Cooper. She’s a smart poker player, a smart detective, but she’s got issues. A year ago her affair with a married cop got her fired from the Portland Police. Now she’s tr...more
Published February 26th 2013 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about A Bitch Called Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bitch Called Hope

Pamela
This is an exciting, fast paced, mystery with an appealingly different heroine. Finally, a book where the female detective is written as a full fledged adult who creates and solves her own problems. No mystery man lover appears to save her. She uses her own intelligence and skills to solve the crime.

The heroine, Lennox, was fired from her job as a homicide detective. Now she is eking out a living as a private detective. She is hired by a defense attorney to gather evidence in the defense of the...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
The title drew me in– the explanation of the poker term reference had me intrigued and I was not disappointed. What a ride! What a hand Lennox Cooper had drawn! A rollercoaster ride of action and intrigue, violence mixed in with the humanity of human failings and the universal need for love. Lennox Cooper is a modern day Kinsey Millhone – she is gutsy, heroic, smart, good at her job; the woman just needs a break and Mr Right.

This novel is a well crafted, fast paced explosion of action an...more
Kelly
Well written, well paced, great heroine, great friendships. I only read a few mystery/noir novels a year, usually on vacation, and this is so much higher quality than what I usually pick up. I loved the sense of place and the well captured dreariness of a Portland winter.
James
***minor spoilers below***

A strong debut. The author did a good job of capturing a hard-boiled pulp feel in a modern setting. When some writers attempt noir they try a little too hard, and cross the line from entertaining to ridiculous. While the author came close to going over the top in a few of her passages, she managed not to overdo it.

The main character is wonderfully gritty and very human - no Mary Sue here. I liked that even when she was successful, it wasn't pretty or perfect. If she's i...more
Caroline
I read this book on the plane from Portland to Louisville, KY. My husband read it on the way home . . . from Louisville to Portland via Washington, DC, which was perfect, because he reads more slowly than I do. When he got to the high-pitched ending, I couldn't stop myself from reading over his shoulder (enjoyed the ride as much the second time), and he started reading so fast I could hardly keep up!

The beginning drew me right in--what a character Lennox is, what a great bunch of guy friends sh...more
Joe
They say you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover or title. But with a novel like A Bitch Called Hope, how can you not? I liked this one before I ever cracked the spine. (Figuratively speaking, since I pretty much exist entirely in the digital these days.)

A Bitch Called Hope, with its clever play on words, is Lily Gardner's debut and the story of Lennox Cooper, disgraced former cop forced to play PI, who's drawn into investigating the murder of a family friend, which may or may not invol...more
Susie Disher
I enjoyed this book, it was a quick read and it was nice to have a strong female protaganist. She isn't perfect, which is also very nice, she is human! I really appreciated the fact that she doesn't need a man to rescue her! She gets in trouble on her own, and gets out it the same way I am so tired of 'love at first sight, I can't live without him' story lines in mystery/thriller books. None of that here, and I appreciate it. The book ends in a way that leaves you thinking the characters are goi...more
Tamara Greenleaf
One the reasons I don't read a lot of crime novels is that I can usually figure out whodunnit in the first ten pages. Not so with this one. This book has everything I look for in a novel: a smart woman detective with plenty of heart and a solid right hook; clever writing, a rich sense of place (if you've ever been to Portland, you'll recognize the landmarks: "Voodoo Donuts!"), and finally,
a blistering twister of a story that kept me guessing right up until the end. It took me on a wild ride, cov...more
Lauren Walters
This book was a fast-paced, intelligently written crime thriller. Once I picked it up, it was hard to put down. It's hard, as a reader, to decide who is guilty and who is innocent. Everyone is a suspect, and every single one of them has a motive. In books like this you can sometimes reason out yourself who could have done it, but I found myself changing my mind every chapter. Definitely glad I decided to read this.
Nichole Barocio
i had no clue what the title meant (until after reading the summary), but this is an eye-catching title. the strong points of this novel didn't end with the title. it's a murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the very end. the female main character, lennox, is "real". she makes mistakes and pays the price. an engaging, entertaining and quick read.
Crystal
Great book!! Will keep you on your toes till the every end. It's hard not to fall in love with Lennox. She is strong, independent, and a kick ass detective. I really hope there is another book! I can't wait to read it if there is.
Donna Loux
I read only a few pages a day to make it last because I didn't want it to end. I think I've found a replacement for Robert B Parker. Thank you Lily.
Tamara
I enjoyed this fast paced crime thriller that kept me guessing until the very end.
Vicki
I had a hard time getting into the book, the first few chapters made me feel like this is just another depressing cop novel. However, I revisited the book a week later and it started to pick up. I enjoyed the mystery and stayed up late finishing it to find out how it would end. I did have a hard time believing the main character. In one part she is a tough, but caring ex cop who can get to the bottom of things, even if it means danger and conflict. On the other hand she is so blind to men's char...more
Jay
sadly this book didn't live up to my expectations based solely on it's synopsis...
the story just kinds of plods along, interviewing suspects again & again, finally got some fast paced action towards the end when Lennox found herself in deadly danger. it was about this part of the book that I realised I was quickly running out of book with far too much story left to fit into it. so we get no trial, no idea what happened to the "murderer" that Lennox shot (no idea what happened to anyone reall...more
Linda Prokopy
Decent airplane reading but there were parts of the story that didn't fully make sense. And the main character annoyed me on the love front.
Barbara Kroon
Lily Gardner has given us a cracking fun mystery and a dandy heroine in her first novel. Lennox faces down the ghosts of her own past -- professional and personal, a couple of guys nobody wants to meet in a dark alley, and comes out tops. Lennox is my kind of gal and I'm looking foward to her next showdown.
Karri Bliek
A great title! A good read, the pace of the book was good, but I felt it lacking somehow. I am not a big reader of cop books, so maybe that is part of it. Lennox was likable and smart. I felt like I was waiting for something to happen throughout the book, an ok conclusion.
Shelley
Great summer read! I felt like there were some little details missing from the story, but overall a good mystery. Would read more from this author, especially if they're about the main character in this book-I want to see where she ends up!
David Monroe
This book had moments where I sat up and paid attention and other areas where I wondered why I was still reading. I was turned off in the book when God Damn was used so much and don't feel that it added or took away from the story.
Lori
It was a quick, enjoyable read, but a bit predictable.
Patty
It kept my interest.
Janel Tortorice
Very short, quick read. Ok.
Towandajane
Towandajane is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Shivsa Rathore
Shivsa Rathore marked it as to-read
Bharat
Bharat marked it as to-read
Talab
Talab is currently reading it
Tahmina
Tahmina marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Mystery, Crim...: A noir with heart 1 6 May 14, 2013 03:49PM
Lily Gardner grew up in Minneapolis. By the time she reached grade school she knew she wanted to live in California and write poetry. Over the years her tastes shifted: California became Oregon and poetry became mysteries. Lily loves all things noir, fermentation, Motown, opera, and short-legged dogs.

"A Bitch Called Hope", a noir mystery set on the rainy streets of Portland, Oregon, is Lily’s firs...more
More about Lily Gardner...

“There were men in their fifties, men who take a stab at fitness, men who try. They may not look young, but they still look viable. Lammers wasn't one of those. Lammers was one of those crack-in-the-ass guys ten months pregnant with a beer baby.” 2 likes
“about Tommy, you went through your whole life craving these little pockets of time and missing them for more time than you had them.” 2 likes