Start by marking “Walking in This World” as Want to Read:
Walking in This World

Walking in This World

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,290 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
In this long-awaited sequel to the international bestseller The Artist's Way, Julia Cameron presents the next step in her course of discovering and recovering the creative self. Walking In This World picks up where The Artist's Way left off to present readers with a second course--Part Two in an amazing journey toward discovering our human potential. Cameron shows readers ...more
Published September 29th 2003 by TarcherPerigee (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Walking in This World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking in This World

Barbara Conelli
Oct 11, 2011 Barbara Conelli rated it it was amazing
Walking In This World is the book you want to start reading immediately after finishing The Artist's Way. While The Artist's Way helps you understand your fears, overcome them and start creating, Walking In This World will guide you through the hurdles of your creative process.

In this book, Julia's essays and tools are much deeper, much more philosophical, contemplative and also personal. She is not afraid to reveal her own weaknesses, or the weaknesses of her colleagues and students. She is the
Caitlin
Sep 10, 2008 Caitlin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creativity
On first reading, I didn't get much out of this book. There is a certain amount of repetition of ideas from The Artist's Way but that didn't bother me - I was after something that would serve as a reminder of the principles of The Artist's Way without actually re-reading TAW yet again - what bothered me was the writing style which I felt needed some serious editing. There are some excruciating extended metaphors there. Really really painful.

But the content is good, and while there is repetition,
Mandi
Dec 12, 2010 Mandi rated it really liked it
The format of Walking in this World is probably her best combination of stories that get you motivated and then interjecting tasks to try out for yourself. The Artist's Way was the first and so, in a way, it is the best, but she leaves all the tasks for the end of the chapter. I enjoyed The Right to Write because she put the tasks within the chapter, as she does with Walking in this World, but Walking in this World also has some of the feel of The Artist's Way as well. All in all though, Walking ...more
White
Aug 27, 2009 White rated it it was amazing
By drawing on the accomplishments of artists, Cameron addresses how to handle some of the more difficult aspects of our own humanness. How to handle anger, investing in yourself, finding a balance without guilt are just a few focuses of this book. While reading this piece I got many connections to Tom Crum's The Magic of Conflict. Cameron instructs us how to change our anger to fuel, how to make the highest potential of your passion, etc.

I love these books. In them are perspective, relief, and
Jo (Bloomin'Chick)
This is a wonderful book & audio book and now my favorite of Ms. Cameron's! No matter what your creative outlet is, this book will offer you guidance and useful suggestions!
lyndel
Jan 04, 2009 lyndel rated it it was amazing
another in the series to motivate and encourage creativity .... its not as amazing as the first one but certainly can keep you going once you start... walking , literally !
Rebeccamasseyisgmail.com
Илья Сидоренко
Дети не хотят быть менеджерами, экономистами или политиками. Их желания всегда идут от сердца, которое не волнуют текущие тенденции общества. Оно живет своей жизнью где-то внутри и пытается сделать нас счастливыми. Джулия Кэмерон в своей новой книге «Долгие прогулки» помогает нам услышать голос своего сердца и преодолеть препятствия, с которыми мы сталкиваемся на пути к своей мечте.

Автор этой книги удивительный человек. К своим 67 годам она успела выпустить 30 книг, написать сотни сценариев и ст
Barbara Cadwell
Feb 17, 2013 Barbara Cadwell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Writers
Somewhere on the pages of Julia Cameron’s books, I discovered that writers are artists, too. Heretofore, I’d believed that only people who paint pictures are artists. Writers are not background material, and I create pictures with words.
Hence, ‘Walking In This World’ is an expose’ on becoming who we really are, not who we thought we were supposed to be. A conflict of the soul, the author delves into the feelings of acting too small. Translated, “One slight too many, and we say who we are.”
Midw
Roslyn Ross
Jul 10, 2014 Roslyn Ross rated it liked it
When I first read the Artist's Way a decade ago I thought it was the best thing ever for my writing career. I started this book five years ago and never finished it. I finished it today on a whim and now I can tell you why this book had nothing to offer me--these are great books for people who just want some pop-psychology mumbo jumbo. Lots of white-washing and easy answers to genuinely tough and interesting psychological questions.This book feels good, like your older, wiser friend telling you ...more
A. Catherine Noon
Jan 18, 2016 A. Catherine Noon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
I remember one year, when I was gathering students to do another workshop on the Artist's Way, when someone asked me in a superior tone, "Why would I do the same material over again?" This book is why. Creative unblocking is like climbing a mountain: you might be going around and around, but each time around you're in a different place.

Walking In This World takes us from the creative flowering that happens in the Artist's Way and helps us develop the stamina for sustained creative output. There
Victoria Avonlea
I had intended to work through this book as I had The Artist's Way. Unfortunately, I have this book on loan from the library and they will not allow me to take it out as long as I'd need. As such, I am just making notes about it based on reading through it, until I have the chance to work through it properly.

*********

1) My first impression when I started reading this was that Cameron's writing has matured a lot since the Artist's Way. As I continued, however, I wasn't as certain that this would
Marissa Morrison
This was mistakenly added to my check-out pile at the library, but I thought why not check it out?

I'll admit that I have no interest in being more creative. My self-improvement goals are all about being more productive and more organized. There's very little in this book that could help with that, but Cameron does advise readers to throw away any clothes you don't completely love and to type up and file away a list of your favorite poems.

The worst part of the book is Cameron's "basic tool numbe
Melissa
Sep 07, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! Julia is a great writer and the excercise a and check ins are so helpful. I feel these principles could be applied to all areas of life. It helped me open my mind and dream.
Amber Blackstone
Jun 16, 2014 Amber Blackstone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
I absolutely enjoyed reading this book because it has inspired me to be creative. This book in particular helped me to not consider fear as a bad thing. It can be a sign that something is amiss and needs to be further researched before I plunge ahead. So when I am fearful of doing something, then I journal about my doubts and I then investigate those doubts. The essays about being with people who zap your energy were also helpful because I find that I am around people so focused on themselves ...more
Beth
May 01, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing
this is not a book you 'read' - it's something you experience. it is a book written for 'artists,' and how to walk in this world as a creative person - so in reality, it's message applies to everyone. i personally loved the tasks and commitment. not an every day experience and not for everyone, but it was life changing for me. sort of toying with the idea of facilitating a group to follow through the book together as it's part of what it's designed for - a teaching and learning book. we shall ...more
Aurelia Brouwers
Sep 18, 2012 Aurelia Brouwers rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I just read the book and did some of the tasks but not all of them. First I did, but I thought it was too demanding for me. Now, doing it my own way, really helped.

I love this book because it feels like there is finally someone who understands you. The first book (The Artist's Way) made me finally sign up for a drawing class and this book made me pick up a language I always wanted to learn, being Ancient-Greec.

So, I don't think you need to do exactly as the book prescribes. Just do it your own
earthy
Jan 06, 2009 earthy rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Inspiring but fairly repetitive, as it essentially covers much of the material of Cameron's other books. I was a little turned off by the excessive negativity expressed regarding therapy and the heavy-handed spirituality elements (even though I myself deeply link spirituality and creativity, it felt like Cameron was beating us over the head with the concept). Still worth a read, particularly if you're going through a creative dry spell, but not as life-changing and innovative as The Artist's ...more
Tiffany
Feb 01, 2012 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I did the Artist's Way a few years ago and really wanted to do it again. But, I didn't want to read all the same words, stories, etc, I just wanted to be inspired in a similar way. Then, I found this. Written also by Cameron, ten years later, and much more pertinent and applicable to my life now. It is almost the same as Artist's Way, but focuses more on small steps, totally feasible in whatever life you live. Moving out of the victim position. I am on week five after a week long hiatus of being ...more
Dipa
Sep 18, 2012 Dipa rated it really liked it
Like the Artists' Way, this book offers a lot in terms of the emotional (and spiritual) journey of a writer. She's spot on on many of her observations: about the artist, and also the people around him/her. Sometimes I wish I had picked up this book sooner, so I would have known all the things to look out for. Not a lot of advice in terms of 'how to do the craft', but this book offers a lot encouragement and wisdom on how to keep going if the road ahead looks rough.
Lisa Barri
Jul 24, 2009 Lisa Barri rated it really liked it
This is a great book for everyone who wants to develop their creativity. This is not just a book for artists- for we are all creative beings, and anything creative will move us along on our path. It is not just a book to read- its' a "to do" book with lots of exercises. I have not done all of the exercises yet, but the one's that I have done are very powerful--for both myself as an artist, and just as a human being.
Janey
Aug 17, 2013 Janey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well - her intro suggested 'Morning Pages',haven't tried them I must admit, 'Artist Dates', which I do anyway called something else (had some creative ideas though) and going for a '20 minute walk once a week' - the woman clearly doesn't have dog!
The rest of the book expanded on these and various other ideas for unblocking the channels of creativity, but was not really for me. Maybe one to revisit...
Mary
Feb 04, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Second in Ms Cameron trilogy - the first book Artist'a Way I read a number of years ago with a group of artists and found it very helpful. Reading and working through this second book has once again made a big difference in my attitude and I am gently heading back to my visual art and children's writing.

Highly recommend for anyone who is stuck or facing a block to their creativity...read, do the exercises, think about what you have learned and go forward with your life.
Ilze
Jan 20, 2011 Ilze rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
That's it? She spent 270 pages detailing basically what appears in "The Artist's Way", except for one more principle: Go on a weekly walk ... I'm disappointed and eventually got so bored I was falling asleep on the pages! The quotes (from various sages) in the margins were original and good though.
Penny
Jun 05, 2016 Penny rated it really liked it
Not quite as impactful as "The Artist's Way" but still a good tool to keep the process of creativity flowing. Unlike Artist's Way, which was very accessible for beginning creativity and amateur artists, this book brought more to the table for professional and career artists. Still lots to guide a newbie and encourage creativity.
Mike
Jul 14, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
The "Artist's Way" has meant so much to my writing career that I had to have this one too. Though this does have much to say about the faith element in creating, it does have some tricky passages in the description of said faith. The Annes (Lamott, Dillard, Rice) do a much better job of bringing faith and artistry together.
False Millennium
Jul 04, 2013 False Millennium rated it liked it
More of her theories on writing. The basic concept is weekly walks for at least 20 minutes, writing three pages a day of random thoughts in the morning, and an "art"-learning visit during the week; not necessarily a gallery, but something that inspires. The book, like her others, has exercises to do to help you find your footing in creativity.
Danielle
Mar 03, 2011 Danielle rated it really liked it
I love Cameron's books and find myself returning to them often. Although I like "The Artist's Way" better than "Walking in this World," I learned a lot about myself as a writer while utilizing this book. Cameron really pushes one to take a long look in the mirror and to face whatever images arise in the process.
Dorothy
Nov 03, 2013 Dorothy rated it really liked it
I bought this book at my favorite second-hand bookstore, The Book Exchange, about 10 years ago, after reading The Artist's Way. It's like taking a refresher course on creating and maintaining a space in your life for creativity.
Hilma Sinkinson
Jun 04, 2015 Hilma Sinkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worth-a-re-read
This is the second of Julia Cameron's books I have worked through. I absolutely recommend her books for people to want to make changes in their lives. The weekly assignments are doable and the activities so flexible.
Highly recommend this book!
  • The Artist's Way at Work: Riding the Dragon
  • Coaching the Artist Within: Advice for Writers, Actors, Visual Artists, and Musicians from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women
  • Juicy Pens, Thirsty Paper: Gifting the World with Your Words and Stories, and Creating the Time and Energy to Actually Do It
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest
  • The Soul's Religion: Cultivating a Profoundly Spiritual Way of Life
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • Journal to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Writing, Reading, and Creating a Journal of Your Life
  • Imagine a Woman in Love with Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness
  • This Time I Dance!: Creating the Work You Love
  • The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear
  • The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit
  • Creating a Life Worth Living
Julia Cameron has been an active artist for more than thirty years, with fifteen books (including bestsellers The Artist's Way, Walking In This World and The Right to Write) and countless television, film, and theater scripts to her credit. Writing since the age of 18, Cameron has a long list of screenplay and teleplay credits to her name, including an episode of Miami Vice, and Elvis and the Beau ...more
More about Julia Cameron...

“FESTIVITY BREEDS CREATIVITY. RIGIDITY BREEDS DESPAIR” 7 likes
“Here’s what I like about God: Trees are crooked, mountains are lumpy, a lot of his creatures are funny-looking, and he made it all anyway. He didn’t let the aardvark convince him he had no business designing creatures. He didn’t make a puffer fish and get discouraged. No, the maker made things—and still does. European film directors often enjoy creative careers, during which their films mature from the manifestos of angry young men to the rueful wisdom of great works by creative masters. Is an afternoon siesta the secret? Is their vita just a little more dolce? We’ve taken espresso to our American hearts, but we haven’t quite taken to the “break” in our coffee breaks. Worried about playing the fool, we forget how to simply play. We try to make our creativity linear and goal oriented. We want our “work” to lead somewhere. We forget that diversions do more than merely divert us.” 3 likes