Start by marking “Perfect Ruin (Internment Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Perfect Ruin (Internment Chronicles, #1)
read excerpt

Perfect Ruin (The Internment Chronicles #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  4,343 ratings  ·  896 reviews
On Internment, the floating island in the clouds where 16-year-old Morgan Stockhour lives, getting too close to the edge can lead to madness. Even though Morgan's older brother, Lex, was a Jumper, Morgan vows never to end up like him. She tries her best not to mind that her life is orderly and boring, and if she ever wonders about the ground, and why it is forbidden, she t ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareCress by Marissa MeyerIgnite Me by Tahereh MafiThe One by Kiera CassSilver Shadows by Richelle Mead
2014 Releases
33rd out of 644 books — 1,182 voters
Captive by Samantha JacobeyStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenStarshine by G.S. JennsenRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanFortune Calling by Hunter S. Jones
First In Series (2014)
25th out of 624 books — 1,456 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)

Don’t focus on the edge. Stay inside the tracks. Stay in this little place where awful things happen, but where beauty hides in beams of sunlight, in the green grass and the gentle lapping of the lake forming and destroying watery shapes. Ignore the men in uniforms that stand at length, sullying the image. They’ll be gone soon. Everything will go back to normal.
A beautifully written book that is superior to most YA dystopian novels I have read this year. The world building is intricate, the mai
Sydney
Guys.. I finished it. Review to come. But seriously. Read it. ReaditreaditreaditREADIT

--------- Original Reaction ------

Another DeStefano series?

My reaction to the premise?

Release date?

UPDATE:

WHOA WHOA WHOA It's coming out THIS YEAR NOW!

Read all my reviews at www.rattlethestars.com
Navessa
If I tried to explain this book to you, our conversation would probably go something like this:

Morgan lives in a city in the sky. Below this hunk of floating rock, earth. Her people stare down at us, copy our advancements, and wonder what it’s like down here. For some, this becomes a deadly fixation and they become either so enamored by the idea of us, or so desperate to escape their small world, that they hurl themselves over the edge. Her brother is one of these, they’re called jumpers.

Is one
Beth
Sep 24, 2013 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Guys.

Hey guys.

You wanna read this one.
Giselle
Perfect Ruin has a fantastic concept with the same easy flowing writing from DeStefano's Chemical Garden series. Constrained on this island the size of a fist, we're taken into the life of Morgan who's been starting to wonder what's over the edge. The one thing that is forbidden to all residents of this floating city. Oh did I forget to mention that part? Yes, the city is floating somewhere above earth. This lone city. With people. Living there!

Not only is this place the size of a cracker, but
Brooke
I GOT A FREAKIN' ARC!!!
 photo 282859_10151870408082150_231554870_n_zps43689983.jpg

Um, yeah, it was that good I finished it in a day (kids bugging me and all!). EXCELLENT! Review to come!

I want to give a huge thank you to Simon and Schuster, who sent me an ARC of this book when I requested it. I am eternally grateful for having this opportunity as this is a book I have been really looking forward to reading. Receiving this book for free has in now way influenced my opinion or review.

Blurb from Goodreads:
On Internment, the floating island in the clouds
Lindsay Cummings
What a gorgeous book. I have been a fan of Lauren DeStefano since I first read Wither a few years back. Her writing is on another level. Every word, every sentence, seems flawlessly stitched together. Her characters practically soar off of the page. This story has a fabulous plot line. Super unique, just like the world of Internment, which floats in the clouds. It begins with Morgan, a girl who dreams of going to the edge: it is forbidden, yet it calls to her every day. Morgan just wants to be n ...more
Lisa
OMG!!! Another Lauren DeStefano series I LIKE THAT SHIT!!!!

Hermione
Hmm, "Internment."

internet
Amber Skye
Jun 17, 2013 Amber Skye marked it as to-read
~Tina~
I've read Lauren's debut novel, Wither, and while the idea behind that particular story-line didn't blend well with what I look for in an escape, I still enjoyed Lauren's strong and passionate writing skills and was anxious to read a new book by her. I'm happy to say that the Perfect Ruin was the perfect book to reintroduce myself with Lauren's work. I found it refreshingly unique, intriguing, suspenseful and even romantic. Simply put, I loved it.

High above the clouds is an oval floating city ca
Louisa
"We have the free will to stay on this side of the train tracks. If we cross over to the other side, we get too close to the edge, and it mystifies us. We see how infinite the sky is and we lose our senses. Even the people we love most disappear from our thoughts in that moment."

Gorgeous writing + careful and well-developed world-building + fleshed-out characters = a win for the genre. This is certainly one of the best examples of how young adult dystopian/utopian can be done well. The romance
Steph Sinclair
I have a mighty need.
Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}
The Internment Chronicles is Lauren DeStefano's first venture outside the world of The Chemical Gardens series, which brought her to fame. While I expected Perfect Ruin to be less enjoyable than the Chemical Gardens (simply because it's hard to top), I'm still very disappointed by it. Perfect Ruin had an interesting premise but the execution was simply subpar.

Perfect Ruin takes place on a postage stamp sized utopia called the 'Internment'. The name itself does not exactly sound very promising, b
Erica
REVIEW

Lauren DeStefano is consistently a four-star author; even though she’s my favorite author, I have to rate her fairly. Where all her novels in The Chemical Garden Trilogy meandered, Perfect Ruin actually has a focused plot.

Writing

Lauren DeStefano is known for her beautiful prose. However, I feel Perfect Ruin isn’t as beautifully written as her Chemical Garden Trilogy, though beautifully written nonetheless.

Characters

Morgan is a bland protagonist, and her betrothed, Basil, is even blander.
Gillian

Rating: Blah and boring for 200 pages, and then the ending is amazing. HOW DO I RATE THAT? 1-2 star beginning, 3-4 star end. ANNOYING.

Originally posted at Writer of Wrongs

What an odd thing this book was. I was all set to give it two stars and a shrug. I was even flirting with a DNF at one point. But because I purchased it, and it happens to be the prettiest book in all the land, I persevered. The beginning of this book is unbelievably boring, despite the stellar world-building, occasionally gorg
Elaine

I was actually so ready to write this book off because I was just not connecting to any of it, but somehow, I don't know what or how exactly, at the 90+% mark, something just clicked and I will be giving the series another chance with the second book. I would still shelf this under one of those 'it's not you, it's me' cases for my rating because I think this is one of those books where it will work for some but not others, and it's not because of bad writing whatsoever. Quite the contra
Pam Vlieg
I loved DeStefano's first trilogy and I was ready to devour the second one. I don't know what I'll do until I have the second book in my hands.

The characters were many but I felt they were all fleshed out and had their own quirks that made them each interesting. If DeStefano is a master at anything it is characterizations and world building. I want to talk more about the world but I don't want to spoil you.

It's a wonderful book!
Aimee

This book definitely had its fair share of flaws, but despite all of these, I gave the book 4 stars because I enjoyed it.

I was not a fan of Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden trilogy. In fact, I only read the first book, Wither, so it surprised me that I loved Perfect Ruin.

This book explored various concepts, like an island floating in the sky, some religious beliefs, and many others. While it was a sweet, romantic dystopian, this novel could also be considered a murder mystery of some sort. Am
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: Wow! Loved this one! Another Destefano book to add to the love list! I loved her other novels but this one was also so wonderful!

We are introduced to Morgan who is a 16 year old girl. She is a very curious girl and she tries to hide it. Her brother is a jumper so she knows she must not let anyone else know she’s thought about it too. She knows she can’t end up like him. Her brother Lex and his wife live in the apartment above Morgan and her parents.

Morgan spends most of her time w
Jodi Meadows
Jun 09, 2014 Jodi Meadows marked it as to-read
It's like the Hunger Games, but with otters.**

**I dunno. I haven't read it yet. But I want to help make one of Lauren's dreams come true.
Anne
Believe me, you will have lots of questions when you close the book. If you go into the story knowing this, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
I'm still thinking about the story days later, so I think it deserves at least 4 stars. And while it might not be for everyone, I enjoyed it.

The book focuses on Morgan and her journey, rather than on giving you answers about the world she lives in. The world building for the city of Internment felt complete, but the reason for Internment to exist is a t
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
It's getting exceedingly more difficult to commend books for having a unique premise with each new entry into dystopian territory, but I have to admit, this one is pretty different, at least in its execution. I still don't really understand the howof the floating island: how it ended up floating in the first place, how it stays afloat, or how no one else seems to question these things. There are some serious religious undertones here, and those questions could have been explained away by the exi ...more
Soumi
Perfect Ruin is a book that has left me in ruins over the wait for the sequel. Beautifully written and well-crafted, Perfect Ruin is a delightful surprise. Many might be shocked to hear I haven't read the Chemical Garden Trilogy, which, after my sweet encounter with Perfect Ruin, I’m seriously considering to read soon.

“On Internment, you can be anything you dream--a novelist or a singer, a florist or a factory worker. You can spend entire afternoons watching clouds so close it's as though you're
Jon
Check out Scott Reads It! for reviews, giveaways, & more!
I actually read Wither and Perfect Ruin in the same exact week, this was my first time reading one of DeStefano's books. It was really interesting to see how both of these openings to a series differed, but there were actually a lot more similarities than I would have thought. I felt pretty ambivalent towards both Perfect Ruin and Wither much to my disappointment.

Perfect Ruin is a pretty average dystopian book with few surprises a
Michael
Lauren DeStefano has the wonderful ability to create worlds that are totally surreal and eerily compelling, with Perfect Ruin a great example. The story goes of Morgan Stockhour who lives in the floating city of Internment. This is a world were life partner's are chosen from birth, the trains travel to an exact schedule and everyone knows there is no chance of leaving the city. Of course being human when we are told such things there will be some among us who will attempt it.

One of those who tri
Tati
This was the first book I read by Lauren DeStefano, even though Wither has been sitting on my want-to-read shelf for ages (Can’t get my hands on a copy…). The first and foremost thing on my mind when I finished this book was that the world building was a bit confusing. That, I’ve been told, is a common trait in her DeStefano’s books.

In my opinion, the world building could have been better. I was left wondering how their world came to be (and no, religious explanations just don’t cut it with me).
Victoria Scott
An imaginative, heartbreaking novel that will have you questioning societal norms and dreaming about an island in the sky. Outstanding!
Y. C.
"Don't look so glum. This is going to be an adventure."

I'm impressed.

==>Characters: Morgan is a teenage girl who is too curious for her own good and refuses to take things as they are told. She questions the gaps in her understanding of Interment, but is clever enough to not disrupt the system. In short, she is a dreamer, but one with common sense. She strives to do the right thing and be good to those around her. As the narrator, she is likable and her thoughts as she navigate a new and dan
Heather

So, here are my thoughts on Lauren DeStefano and her writing based on past experience: it is deceptively dark. What I mean is this, she writes Dystopian storylines, which are usually darker in nature (it IS a Utopian society gone wrong after all) but Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden series, or at least Wither, really surprised me with just how dark that book got. Like so-emotionally-draining-it-kicks-you-in-the-gut dark.

What is so striking about DeStefano's writing is that as dark as it is ton
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Altered (Crewel World, #2)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • Unbreathable
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • Revelations (The Elysium Chronicles, #2)
  • Once We Were (The Hybrid Chronicles, #2)
  • Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Of Beast and Beauty
  • Gated (Gated, #1)
  • Scorched (Scorched, #1)
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Plus One
  • Pawn (The Blackcoat Rebellion, #1)
Lauren DeStefano (pronounced: de STEFF ano) is a lawn gnome enthusiast and New York Times bestselling author of some books, which you can find listed below this bio. For the first six years of her life, she thought she was a mermaid and still has her suspicions. When she isn't writing, she is often composing tweets that make as little sense as possible. They can be found here: https://twitter.com/ ...more
More about Lauren DeStefano...
Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) Fever (The Chemical Garden, #2) Sever (The Chemical Garden, #3) The Seeds of Wither (The Chemical Garden #1.5) Burning Kingdoms (Internment Chronicles, #2)

“Every star has been set in the sky. We mistakenly think they were put there for us.” 43 likes
“So many of the things I've wanted are the things I've been taught to fear.” 34 likes