Start by marking “Hard City” as Want to Read:
Hard City

Hard City

Clark Howard is an award winning and acclaimed mystery writer. In 1981, his story The Horn Man won the Edgar Allan Poe award for best short story of the year from the Mystery Writers of America. In 2009, Howard won the Edward D. Hoch Memorial Golden Derringer Award for Lifetime Achievement from the Short Fiction Mystery Society.

A professional writer for over 40 years, he h
Published May 2nd 2011 by Delabarre Publishing, LLC (first published April 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Hard City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard City

Michael Lamendola
Oct 27, 2011 Michael Lamendola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book via Twitter. I think it's been resurrected thanks to the eBook phenomenon. In any case, this was a book that I could not put down, and looked forward to reading every night!

The story follows a young boy in 1940s Chicago, living on the street, running from truancy officers and foster homes, dealing with his addict mother and searching for his missing father. Almost epic in its telling and length, the boy grows not only in years, but in wisdom, throughout the pages.

The only thing
Laurel Bailey
Jan 14, 2013 Laurel Bailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because the plot and characters are centered in Chicago, where I have lived on two separate occasions. However, this is not the Chicago of my personal experience. This is a Chicago that I know exists, but is outside of my experience. The characters are largely juvenile delinquents, junkies, hookers, and other down-and-out people. The setting is pre and post WWII. The main character, while seriously flawed, has something that makes you hope he will rise above his upbringing, in s ...more
Debbie Moore
Apr 04, 2013 Debbie Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disturbing, brutal, honest and real.....could not stop reading!
Joseph
Beverly
Aug 11, 2013 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story based on the authors life on the streets of chicago. Highly recommend this one, well written and gripping to the very end.
Steven Howard
Mar 12, 2012 Steven Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gut-wrenching, powerful story of a pre-teen and teenager who survives the streets of Chicago, Charleytown Reform "school", and the angst of living as a "Yankee" outsider when he returns to the town of his birth in western Tennessee.

A fictionalized version of the author's actual childhood, the search for his father, and living with his mother's drug addictions.

In the end, all he wanted to do was become a writer. And that he did.
Plf
Sep 03, 2013 Plf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this from a bargain book table at a local bookstore. It then stayed in my bookcase for years while I wondered why I ever bought it. When I finally decided to read it or get rid of it, I was more than pleasantly surprised -- I loved it! Interesting, gripping, poignant...I didn't want it to end. It may be hard to find at this point, but it's well worth the search.
Cheryl
Nov 19, 2013 Cheryl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sort of a toned-down The Jungle (which was interminably grim). Not that well-written, but a page-turner nonetheless. A good editor would have helped. It was interesting imagining the Chicago locations in those years.
Terri
Feb 05, 2015 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read-books
this was such a great read. I enjoyed it so much. Richie was a wonderful boy who had such a rough life but got thorough it and became a good man. Howard is an excellent author. I read Dirt Rich which was a 5 star read. I will be reading The wardens too. I would recommend this book highly.
Lenny
Mar 13, 2015 Lenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing piece of fiction about the poverty of a child in Chicago. Totally and completely engrossing!
Donna Sandidge
A coming of age story of a boy growing up in Chicago in the 1940s. It obviously didn't resonate as much with me as it did with other readers but I still enjoyed the book!
Jeff
Jan 17, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great coming-of-age story about a boy whose love of reading is key to him escaping his grim life on the streets of Chicago.
Emilia
May 01, 2015 Emilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, although sad,coming of age journey about a boy. You will feel like you are walking in his worn and weathered shoes. Well done!
J.e. Keels
J.e. Keels rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2010
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Brent Fisher
Brent Fisher rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2017
Clint Mccoy
Clint Mccoy rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2009
Mary Gillen-Bennett
Mary Gillen-Bennett rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2011
Esther
Esther rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Bounta
Jan 15, 2013 Bounta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book!
Roxana
Roxana rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2012
Dorothy
Dorothy rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2011
Steve Mooney
Steve Mooney rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2013
William Coughlin
William Coughlin rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2016
Erica-Marie
Erica-Marie rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Darlene Roth
Darlene Roth rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
More about Clark Howard...