Start by marking “Crystal Flame” as Want to Read:
Crystal Flame

Crystal Flame (Lost Colony #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,444 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Kalena is focused on a single task…the assassination of the man who destroyed her family. Once he is gone, she will live her life as a free woman. She just has to extract herself from an arranged Trade Marriage first. She has a plan for that. Her husband, Ridge, works for Quintel, the man Kalena has been sent to kill. Ridge is the Fire Whip, Quintel’s enforcer, and not exa ...more
ebook
Published November 27th 2012 by Purple Papaya (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Crystal Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crystal Flame

Maria
I don't know how many times I have read this book (more than three times at least), but it remains one I look forward to re-reading every year. Like Shield's Lady, the plot and genre remain interesting and unusual, the characters are fascinating, and the dialogue seldom disappoints. I am grateful to Ms. Krentz for persevering with this genre, since it is hard to find.
An Odd1
Kalena will be an independent freewoman, after she poisons Quintel, the greedy trade baron who wiped out their noble House of the Ice Harvest. Her aunt contracted a trade marriage with his trusted Fire Whip, orphan Ridge, on a mission for Healer Sand, that burns like incense for diagnostic visions. "In the depths of a Far Seeing trance", Olara sees the assassination succeed during "a large wedding party" p18 (not whose, where or when - so how accurate?). The couple's flirtations entertain me mor ...more
Jane Stewart
1 ½ stars. Dull and boring. I wanted it to be over.

I should have stopped reading, but I kept going for the purpose of writing a review, and hoping, maybe, something would be good later. It got a little better during the last part, but not enough. The characters didn’t intrigue me. The conversations didn’t interest me. The plot was based on a potentially interesting idea, but it was not developed well. I felt no chemistry between the couple. I wasn’t drawn to Ridge, the hero. I was bored during t
Michele
I'd actually rate this one around 3.5 stars. I really enjoyed the setting, especially the religion/philosophy of the culture. The romance was pretty good, but a bit heavy-handed still (alpha males, ugh). The two main characters were still likeable, however, and a lot of the awkward relationship stances came from their own inexperience and the culture they were raised in.

It's a good read in terms of understanding Krentz's development as a writer.
Sheila Melo
Sci-fi Romance

CRYSTAL FLAME is a 1980s sci-fi romance. It is the story of Kalena who is one of the last of her House and has been raised to seek revenge against the man who killed her brother and father. She has been sent to be married to the murderer's right hand man Ridge. When her plan goes awry, Kalena and Ridge travel to discover the secrets of fire and ice, light and darkness, make and female.

As is true with many 1980s romances, the hero here is an alpha male, but Kalena is strong and ind
Carrie
SFR Reading Challenge 2011- I'll keep this here even though it might be better termed a fantasy set on another planet.

3.5*

Crystal Flame is a companion book to Sweet Starfire, although both are stand-alone reads. They are set int he same universe, but have no characters or events binding them. Sweet Starfire is an excellent sci-fi romance which I highly recommend. Crystal Flame is more fantasy than romance, and while still enjoyable, was a weaker book overall.

The story starts out strong, with mai
Paraphrodite
These Lost Colony books are actually not linked in any way. The only common theme being that they are people decended from colonist ships from some other universe.

In this story, the world is still quite primitive and not very technically advanced. The High Healers are women who lived in a remote high mountain valley and provide a much prized medical aid. When they suddenly sealed themselves inside the valley and refused to deal with the outside world except for a properly married wife, the Trade
Jen
Loved this book. Sure, its a romance novel with all the gratuitous stuff.. and even parts that make me laugh so very flipping hard. But it also possesses a beauty I can not quantify nor associate with a fluff book. I saw more in this that was probably intended, but I have to give kudos to the author who managed to explore the patriarchal society mindset with grace and hope.
Serena
I read these out of order. That's a little frustrating to my OCD, but I don't think it impacted the story any. I wish that there could be more about the light and dark keys and the stones as well, but I'm always excited to see more Harms y books and Arcane Society books as well... I think she needs to clone herself and get going.
Crystal
More of a 3.5. What an odd book. It read like a historical, only with people riding giant birds like ostriches, only with better temperaments.

So the h is contracted to be a "trade wife" - a temporary wife for the duration of a trading run. Only, her real intention is to kill her temporary husband's boss...

She can't do it. They go off on the adventure to discover the boss was manipulating them because he has delusions of grandeur. Many weeks later... he confronts the boss, etc.

I had issues with t
Barbara
I really enjoyed this story, but I was a bit confused at times. The author didn't seem fully vested in describing the world she had created. Eg. It took a while for me to realize the hero and heroine were riding a bird. She referred to it as something else (starts with a c and my Kindle dictionary wasn't able to define it), but she didn't say it was a bird until a few pages later.

The whole plot seemed out there - secret cults, magical keys, etc, but it was fun and the alpha hero totally made the
Laurel
Books, like movies, are an individual thing. For me, this book was a disappointment because of the heavy handed emphasis on everything. I didn't need to be bludgeoned endlessly, for example, with the fact that the place of 'mere females' in the protagonists' society was to be subservient to their husbands. If I'm generous I could say that the author was trying to show that the protagonists could triumph over their social conditioning to emerge as equals but if that was what the author was going ...more
Synthe
I like Jayne's books and got a kick out of reading one that she wrote in the late 80s. I can see the evolution of her fantasy/SF writing progression. What kept me reading on this particular story was the theme / premise centered on balance between males/females and reflected ideas that modern (American) women readers were dealing with politically at the time. None of this was shoved down the reader's throat, of course, as Jayne would never do that (frankly, I don't believe she is capable of this ...more
Dawn
I am writing this review over three years after reading the book. I don't remember too many details, but I have some vivid overall images that have remained with me. I remember that it is sci-fi and takes place in another world. The hero and heroine come together to make a journey that they cannot make apart. Even though they are somewhat forced together, they eventually fall in love. I remember liking this book alot. I was new to Goodreads (and romances) back then and did not review my reads. N ...more
Julie
absolute rubbish
Meredith
A woman who is sworn to assasinate a powerful man is thwarted when her mission goes terribly wrong.

If you're going to read Krentz, this is the kind of story you should check out. Again, it's sci-fi, but not so out of this world as Sweet Starfire. Ridge is one of Krentz's best heroes, and the heroine shows the kind of backbone you wish you saw more often in these books. I'm not going to spoil it any further--this is one you should have the pleasure of discovering for yourself.
Jacqueline
I love this book. I love the bastard hero trying to better himself and the girl who falls in love with him against her will. Lovely touching scenes between them. The only thing that keeps it from being 5 stars is the bit about the women only valley at the end. Just don't like all that mystical women shamanistic power stuff. Not just here but in any book and I realize that it's just me.
Connie
I have read quite a few books about other worlds and other times, but this one was a bit confusing at first. It's like a complex movie you really have to pay attention. The story itself wasn't the issue, it was good and fairly easy to understand. But the world itself and the way it was written didn't make for an easy read. By the time I finished it I was in love.
Brianna
it was okay, but i am not use to this stuff (midevial types) by her. This was probably before she decide to write under the pen name "Janye Castle." But it was okay. I didn't like how men were the rulers of everything and that woman were weak and always stay out of the affairs. but that was the life.
Sue
More like a 3.75, I liked it. But it was odd, felt like a cross between Medieval and something from another world. Everything from wood to paper had names that were unfamiliar, but if you get by those points the story it is basically a romance with evil as a backdrop.
Cecilia
The book is rather slow-moving and heavy-handed in terms of creating the setting, but it was full of trademark Krentz elements, and so was not bad as a comfort read, if that's what you're in the mood for.
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
Book 2 to this series was hard for me to find but I found it! I enjoyed it. I am starting to get into this world. I liked the characters and hope there is another in this series.
Chu
Not a bad read. Good story line that is not a simple love story. A few twists in the plot were quite unexpected.
Lizzie
Judy Goodnight
Another well-done romance set in another world, another time.
Pam
Looking forward to reading the other Lost Colony series.
Great story about another time and place
Glenn Harris
A very good paranormal romance.
Marya
Three and a half stars.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Crystal Flame (1986) Book 2 1 2 Sep 27, 2012 11:24AM
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • Raven's Prey

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, # 5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) All Night Long Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, # 3) Smoke in Mirrors