Start by marking “Sweet Starfire (lost colony, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Starfire (lost colony, #1)

Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,323 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Beautiful Cidra, raised amid a serene, spiritual race, is unprepared for Teague, the rugged adventurer from another race, the Wolves. Side by side on a dangerous quest, they battle both human and alien dangers--and find that their passion holds more danger than they know.
ebook
Published December 14th 2012 by Purple Papaya (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Starfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Starfire

Kathleen
Decades ago, Jayne Krentz first introduced me to an engrossing new world of romantic science fiction. She wrote that genre under the now-defunct pseudonym Amanda Glass. This LOST COLONY series started the whole ball rolling for me. Fun stuff. Maybe I'm overrating it slightly, but Krentz wrote this spooky-cool sexy stuff before it became status quo.

Futuristic adventurous love story, told in 3rd person, set on distant planets. In this mythos, humans have evolved into two types: Harmonics (intuiti
Carrie
Sci-Fi Romance Reading Challenge 2011

Sweet Starfire was published in 1986, presumably before Jayne Ann Krentz was writing her sci-fi romance under the name Jayne Castle. I didn't look at the copyright date until after I'd finished, and was surprised to find this was Krentz's first "futuristic" book. In my opinion, it's one of the best I've read by her under any pen name. The book has a solid plot, great action scenes, a slow-building romance, well-developed characters, and detailed world-buildin
Kavita Ramesh
Feb 04, 2016 Kavita Ramesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah! The "off-world romance"! I loved it. It was very imaginative (and I mean the entire series here since I've read all 3 and each successive one was better than the last). The world-building, especially, was well done.

I am not always a fan of her female leads (they are generally of the TSTL variety), but I keep coming back to her novels because her plots and male leads always manage to hold my interest.

This is her best series (in my opinion).
Jane Stewart
Nice, pleasant romantic suspense. Ok but nothing really special.

STORY BRIEF:
In the future humans have evolved into two types. Harmonics are intuitive, telepathic and more intelligent. They do scientific research. They meditate and seek harmony with others. Sex is secondary to them. Wolves are like humans of today. They can be smart. They like sex. (These wolves are not shifters, it’s a label.)

Cidra’s parents are Harmonics, but she does not have Harmonic abilities. She wants to search for an arti
Mara
May 30, 2015 Mara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
One of the most boring book I've read. It has nothing wrong, it simply lacks anything interesting. And all of this nothing in the middle of adventure, aliens, new words. It does take some mad skills to make this level of drooling, boring read. Dry.

Not my cup, but I'm sure it is right for many people.
Debrac2014
This is one of Jayne Krentz' early stories. I somehow missed it when it was first published. Good story but I found the beginning slow going until the mid point of the book, when Cidra and Severance travel on the river thru the jungle.
An Odd1
Nov 23, 2012 An Odd1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance, action, fan, xrate
The planet Renaissance is a clever detailed thorough invention, full of dangerous alien monsters and vegetation. Some parts seem unnecessary stretches by the author, such as gigantic toothed lizards that crash land and leave eggs in an ancient safe-hold. Huge mantis insects attack by glowing and somehow terrifying in the process, handily eliminating one villain.

Krentz incorporates terms, such as skimmer vehicles that traverse swamps, with easily flowing language and images to simplify and expand
Sheila Melo
Jul 25, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early Sci-fi Romance from JAK

SWEET STARFIRE is a science fiction romance written in the 1980s. It is the story of Cidra Rainforest who was born and raised by Harmonic parents but isn't one herself. Harmonics are telepathic and tend to have the intellectual dispassionate qualities of humans (think Spock). Cidra lacks telepathic abilities and is on a quest to obtain a facsimile of those abilities do that she can take her place amongst her family. She seeks to join the crew of one of the mail haule
Meredith
This is a science fiction story about a for-hire pilot and a woman who is part of a race of beings that only feel "Higher Emotions."

I don't know that I could describe it any better than that in one sentence. Unfortunately, it's a bit complicated. I love Krentz, I've said it before, and while not everyone agrees with me, this is a great example of Krentz doing what she does best: creating strong, dangerous, yet caring heroes. The kind of men who don't--or can't-- express themselves well. The wor
Dakota
Nov 02, 2014 Dakota rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads, romance
i realized i havent read the harmony series yet so gave this a go. the first part was a little but picked up from the middle. not bad
SmartBitches
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

This book is simply delightful. There are giant bugs and snakes and river monsters. There is fashion. There’s a dingy spaceship and futuristic gambling. There’s a brooding bad boy who isn’t too bad and a very sweet ingénue who totally kicks ass. There’s a fluffy alien pet with three rows of teeth – like a super snuggly, deadly cat. The cover has pink AND fuchsia. You can’t ask for much more from life than this.

This book has a fun pulp science fiction qua
KarenF
So I love most JAK (and all her AKAs) but this one didn't quite click for me. I think if I had read it longer ago I would have enjoyed it more. As it was, I couldn't help but compare to the Jayne Castle Harmony set books, which are some of my favorites. The bones of some of that world building are here but this one dragged for me in places whereas the Harmony set ones mostly don't.

Also, while this isn't "old skool" in that Teague isn't too much of a controlling a-hole and all the sex is certain
Linda
Jul 13, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aliens
I read all of Amanda Quick, but not all of Jayne Ann Krentz, but decided to pick this one up. It was a bit different than what I expected and it took me a while to get my head wrapped around the other-worldliness of it.

Cidra was an interesting character. How she managed to not get overly irritated with Severance is beyond me, but then she was pretty stubborn herself. I guess I couldn't blame him for egging her on about not being Harmonic. Trying to change who you essentially are is probably imp
Jane (PS)
Apr 21, 2010 Jane (PS) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I was expecting it to be set in the world of Shield's Lady, but it is completely different. Not as captivating as some of the other Krentz books, but certainly an enjoyable read.
Jeanne
Jan 03, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Malgré l'explosion des sous-genres en romance, la romance mâtinée de science-fiction reste marginale et peu connue, y compris de moi-même… C'est pourquoi, lorsque j'ai lu quelque part que Sweet Starfire était considérée comme la première véritable romance SF (exceptant, donc, les ouvrages de SF teintés de romantisme), je me suis jetée dessus, curieuse impénitente que je suis. En plus, c'est JAK, quoi ! Une auteure qui a écrit de tout et qui rocke depuis les années 70, il faut quand même le faire ...more
Paraphrodite
May 05, 2012 Paraphrodite rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
It's always interesting reading older books by a favourite author. This book is set in a world very similar to Harmony. The colonists are divided into Harmonics (telepaths who have gone above physical desires) and are revered by the people as "Saints" and Wolves - those who are not telepathic and are more governed by instincts and passions.

The story begins with Cidra, born to Harmonic parents but without telepathic abilities. She ventured out into the world in search of a mail pilot who would ta
Silver James
Sweet Starfire (Lost Colony, #1) by Jayne Ann Krentz I've read this book before and for some reason, when I was between "GOTTA READ RIGHT NOWs", I grabbed this one off the shelf. This book laid the groundwork for her Harmony series, though this book isn't part of the series. LOVE the series, and it's always fun to return to the roots.
Amber
I dug this. The language is definitely dated but in spite of that it still had a badass lady in it. I mean, she wasn't the rack 'em up type, but I think bravery in the face of fear and adversity is pretty damn badass. The story itself? *shrug* but I just really dug the heroine and the hero was okay too I guess.
Okay for Aayesha
Deborah
Sep 26, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one of many times that I have read this book. I had picked up & put down several books & couldn't get interested in any. So, I decided to go back to some old favorites & picked this one up to read. I loved it as much this time as I did in the past. I love this writer, no matter what genre she writes in.
Maria
This genre is always a delight. Jayne Ann Krentz creates wonderful worlds and characters with interesting plots while throwing in a little philosophy to get you thinking, like what would happen to the world if everyone lost their aggressive tendencies? Peace, certainly, but JAK makes you realize there could be some downsides as well. This book is possibly my favorite in this genre. I love the way the progression of events moves so smoothly to a turnabout in Cidra's way of thinking. No sooner is ...more
Crystal
Jul 23, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: futuristic
Huh. An interesting world...er....system. I found myself wondering about the connection with the author's later series. Guess they all were founded under similar circumstances.

So our h was born...a bit different...from her people. Her people are ahhh.... kinda like monks I guess. Telepathic monks at that. She's not, and she's full of all those nasty emotions. She wants to be "normal" The H, out of a sense of responsibility, takes her on as a crew member in a ship that sounds like it's barely lar
Jenny
I am not a huge sci-fi/romance fan but I actually enjoyed this. Yes it is a bit too formulaic and yes it is a book that quite frankly you know what the outcome is going to be before you open it but nonetheless for it's genre and type it was an enjoyable read with a few twists and turns before it got to the inevitable conclusion. In my mind that's OK and the pacing of the book was fast enough to engage and I was interested enough to want to get to the end of the story. If you are not a fan of rom ...more
Rachel MacNaught
May 21, 2015 Rachel MacNaught rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An embarrassing read. Choppy moments that could be interesting but never quite flesh out into proper plot in contrast with the well-oiled cliche of Unlikely Pair Fall Relunctantly In Love.

A bimbo read that could be worse, really, but it felt so cheesy I can't even bump it up a star.
Linda Bates
Jun 04, 2016 Linda Bates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LB

As usual Jayne draws you into the story from the very beginning. I loss countless hours of sleep until I finished the story. She has a great gift of creating unique worlds and human and alien characters that inhabit them.
Netanella
Published in the mid-1980's, use of the word "Sweet" in the title to meet another reading challenge, futuristic romance which is one of my favorite genres - how could I go wrong?

So, so many ways. And life is too short to read books you don't like. So it's okay to call it about 1/3 of the way through - this one's not for me. DNF.
Leyns
Jun 28, 2016 Leyns rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

It was interesting. I liked both characters and the plot wasn't bad. It wasn't a terribly exciting read, although a lot happened. The ending was sweet. Their feelings for each other seemed genuine.
Kjirstin
May 30, 2013 Kjirstin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such fun! I've enjoyed other similar books that were in my mom's possession from the '70s and '80s -- I'm thrilled to see that some of them are making their way into ebooks! The relationship is pure romance novel, but there's some interesting worldbuilding there as well, and I found myself extremely interested in the mystery of the Ghosts. I'll probably look up the rest of these books to see what can be discovered! Really, my only quibble would be that I'd have been happier with less detail for ...more
Debbie Katauskas
Awesome read

Debbie is a friend. It's a great book that I give 5 stars!!!!! It's good for those who like mystery and romance.
Joanna
Apr 08, 2014 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love! Absolutely love this book! Jayne Ann Krentz has done it again! The perfect blend of adventure, romance & paranormal/scifi!
Maryanne
I should really stop reading 80s/90s scifi/fantasy, especially if it has romance. I should know better.
Paranormal Romanc...: NYC Book Club! 1 19 Apr 14, 2013 01:14PM
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Sweet Starfire (1986) Book 1 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 11:24AM
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • To Tame the Hunter
  • Heart Quest (Celta's Heartmates, #5)
  • Surrender
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...

Lost Colony (3 books)
  • Crystal Flame (Lost Colony, #2)
  • Shield's Lady (Lost Colony, #3)