Start by marking “Temptation” as Want to Read:
Temptation

Temptation

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Laura Hayes has been acting since she was an infant, making Hollywood the only home she has ever known. But when she moves to Pennsylvania's Amish country to film her next movie, she discovers there's more to life than a pair of Jimmy Choos and a Marie Claire cover.

Intrigued by the Amish simplicity, she's soon gardening and baking plum pies—and enjoying it. And when her n
Published February 2013 by Entangled Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temptation

Jeffrey
Laura Hayes has been acting since she was a child, guided by her demanding and ambitious mother. Her latest film, an Amish romance, takes place in the tiny village of Serenity Pennsylvania. She decides to buy one of the quaint Amish homes in the community since the movie shoot is a lengthy one.

Initially, she behaves like the stereotypical Hollywood celebrity in that she is used to getting exactly what she wants with her money, beauty, and fame. However, attempting to bring as much authenticity t
Sara  HarlequinJunkie
A forbidden romance between a Hollywood actress and an Amish furniture maker. Where socially liberal meets morally conservative – Alrighty you’ve got my attention!

Temptation by Kathryn Barrettis a strong debut novel, about forbidden love, choices and consequences.

Laura moves to Pennsylvania's Amish country to film her next movie, once she gets there she is so taken with the simplistic way of life that she decides to put down roots and buys herself a house.

The house also comes with a very attrac
Crystal
If you have been reading my blog this year you may have noticed my love of Entangled Publishing books. Their publicists are awesome at selling you on their books. And then after you read a few all I have to do is get an email from a publicist I know is from Entangled, glance through and make sure it's a type of book I read and then I quickly shoot back an email and beg for the book. Entangled is really a great publishing house and is really being noticed. And I am thrilled. It's fun to have foll ...more
Andrea
A story of forbidden love, self-discovery and following your heart.

I had a good feeling about Temptation from the moment I read the synopsis. I mean, what's better than reading a tale of forbidden love, right? But Temptation is more than a story of two people who should have never crossed paths, let alone fall in love. It is a story of questioning: questioning your choices, your path, and your faith. I found it to be quite beautiful and intensely provocative.

Temptation asks "What happens when
Melody May
Originally Posted on What I'm Reading

The past couple of days I have been reading Temptation by Kathryn Barrett. I must that it was awesome. Seriously, an amazing story. When I first started reading Temptation I wasn't sure what to expect.

You first meet Laura Hayes who happens to visit an Amish community before they start filming The Temptation of Hannah. Which happens to be about an Amish woman who commits a terrible sin for something she really wants. So, she has been getting to know the people
Stella
Not only is Temptation's story a wonderfully unique concept, but I fell instantly in love with Kathryn Barrett’s writing. It was captivating and flew smoothly, sucking the reader in, and not letting go until reaching ‘The End’ (I know what I’m talking about, I read it ’till 4am, but it was SO worth it!).

I’ll start with a disclaimer so you know what to expect from this novel. Although Temptation is set in Amish county and its hero and many of its secondary characters are Amish, it is not a Christ
Beckey
Laura is a career Hollywood star since infancy and is in Amish Country for her newest role that is being filmed there.
One day, Laura finds herself in the barn of one of local furniture makers to purchase a cradle for her sister. She is find herself attracted to the widow furniture maker, Jacob (and for Jacob as well).
But for the Amish way this is just a forbidden temptation. Laura finds herself enjoying the simple life the Amish but will it be enough for her to settle down and call the country
Lexxie
*I received a free ARC of Temptation from Entangled Publishing via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

Temptation is a beautiful story, of temptation, and of courage.

This and other reviews can also be found on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

Temptation is a beautiful story, about temptation, courage and love. Laura arrives in Pennsylvania to film her next movie, and little does she know how much temptation she will find in Amish country. When she first meets Jacob, she only wants to ord
Cupcakencorset
I received a bound preview copy of this book, I believe via a goodreads.com First Reads drawing, several months ago. And I put off reading it when I discovered it was set in Amish country and the author had mentioned "capital-G" God in the first pages. Nope, not for me, I decided, and set it aside for a time of reading desperation, when I had nothing else at hand to read *and* reading a dead-tree book was my only option. Eventually, that situation arose, so I reluctantly started Temptation...

...
Ellen
Laura Hayes is in Pennsylvania where her latest movie, The Temptation of Hannah, is being filmed. She is playing the part of an Amish woman, and where better to be than in the midst of Amish country. The Amish are known for their furniture building and Laura has found out that Jacob Hostetler is considered one of the best craftsman around. When she pulls up at his house to inquire about a cradle for her sister's new baby, the last thing she expects is to be completely taken by this swoon-worthy ...more
Marlene
Originally published at Reading Reality

Anything forbidden always seems so terribly tempting.

Laura Hayes is not merely an actress, she's also a celebrity. She enjoys the "work" but not the trappings that go with it. Including the mother who only sees Laura for what she can buy for her, and the ex-husband still trying to sponge off her. Laura longs for a "real life" like her sister Meg.

Jacob Hostetler is an Amish furniture maker. He enjoys the work but he longs to make the designs that are in his
Chris Mead
TEMPTATION is a fun glimpse into the life of the Amish. Kathryn Barrett makes the story come alive for readers with her distinctive voice. TEMPTATION is full of diverse characters, a rich and imaginative story, and a well thought out plot. This is story telling at its finest!

Laura Hayes has just moved to the small town of Serenity. She is an actress who is working on a film. She would like to purchase a cradle for her sister who is expecting a baby soon. When she ends up at Jacob Hostetler’s wor
Cecilia
It's difficult for me to rate this novel, because while I certainly enjoyed it, I wasn't completely sold by it. There were many little things that nagged me. Daniel, to name the first one: seemed to become a character at the beginning, then virtually disappeared from the narrative. His father didn't seem to spend much time with him, yet thought about him as his first responsability. The fact that almost all the women surrounding Jacob sounded like broken records: Rachel "You have to marry, you h ...more
Margaret Locke
Wow. I wasn't sure Ms. Barrett could pull off a romance between an Amish furniture maker and a Hollywood movie star, yet she did it with (believable) aplomb!

The language flows beautifully, with a comfortable, homey feel that draws you in and keeps you reading. I was particularly impressed with the depth of knowledge about the Amish community and woodworking - Ms. Barrett obviously did her research.

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a fun, contemporary romance!
Suzanne
I usually don't read romance novels but for various reasons I decided to read this one. I'm so glad I did. I fell in love with the characters- even the not so lovable ones. They were so real, so believable that I was totally swept up in the story. And the story was wonderful - full of those sweet tender moments, the moments of self loathing and pain, confusion and clarity, that make up our days. .
Ms Barrett spins a really nice tale - cant wait to read her next one
Margaret Locke
Enchanting, entrancing, and so well written.

I have to admit, I wasn't sure it would be possible to pull off a romance between an Amish man and an actress. I just couldn't see how you could overcome such obstacles. But Kathryn Barrett does an amazing job of weaving a believable tale, one that draws you in and keeps you turning the pages. Her writing style is comfortable, homey, the kind you love to sink into.

I was impressed by the depth of knowledge about the Amish community, and about woodwork
Inara Scott
My kind of romance! Great character development, serious issues, and an ending that felt real and still gave me the happily ever after glow.
Mary Paruch Ring
Surprisingly good!!

I honestly couldn't imagine an Amish based romance novel would be any good. But, after seeing so many I decided to give one a try.
I'm glad I picked Temptation. The story is sweet, romantic, mysterious and suspenseful. The characters are well developed, the writing very good.
I loved the idea of an "English" woman tempting an Amish man. But, as you read more it's not just Laura that is giving Jacob such conflicting thoughts and desires.
Fun read, great for the beach or vacation.
Shirley Frances
Laura is in location in Amish country for her next film. She feels strongly about the character she'll be playing and wants to portray her as authentically as she can, so she delves into the culture and its people to learn more about them. What she discovers is herself being attracted to Jacob, a widowed, Amish carpenter and a need to simplify her life and find herself.

When I first read the blurb I was immediately drawn to the story about the forbidden love between a Hollywood actress and an Am
Michael Harling
Notting Hill meets Witness, but without all the guns and killing and stuff.

Temptation was a delight. This multi-layered romance was well plotted, well written and introduced the unlikeliest of couples: Laura Hayes—from the Hollywood star-machine where ego is all and scrambling to beat the competition is a way of life—and Jacob Hostetler—an Amish carpenter who believes in simplicity, humility and community. Their attraction for one another is palpable, but although that they are neighbours, they
Hsiau Wei
This book tell the story of Laura who is in Amish Country to film her new film, is facing rejection from the Amish people who feel that she is an intrusion that they do not want in their home. To make things worse, she fall in love with Jacob, an Amish guy. From the beginning of the book, Jacob is struggling to hold onto his own belief and trying hard not to question them. But when he falls in love in Laura and facing the ultimate decision that he have to make, his belief started to waver.

This b
Dana
I had a very similar reading experience with this book as On the Island. I wasn’t expecting anything earth-shattering or poignant, and I definitely didn’t find any of that here, but I wasn’t disappointed. This is the kind of book that if you go in with appropriate expectations, your reading experience will be perfectly satisfactory. I enjoyed the characters just fine, though not a whole lot really happened in the book. At times, I wondered if the book actually wouldn’t wrap up nicely, which I fe ...more
Anne
Loved - LOVED - this one. Loved the writing, loved the story, loved the characters. Kathryn Barrett is a new to me author. I believe this is her first published novel. I certainly hope she writes lots more cause I will be reading whatever she writes. Ms. Barrett has a fan in me!
Meckesha Booher
I wasn't sure about this book at first. It's been sitting in my library for awhile. But I'm so glad I finally got around to reading it. It turned out to be a really great read. I would definitely recommend it.
Becca ~BS BOOK REVIEWERS~
This is the first time I have read an Amish type book, after reading the synopsis I thought I would give it a try. I always seem to enjoy the Hollywood type books or books that involve actors of so sort. This book cover was cute.

to see the rest of this review click here http://bsreviewers.blogspot.com I would love a follow!
Romantic Reads and Such
Temptation delivers beautifully on issues concerning faith, responsibility, sacrifice and love - see more at http://romanticreadsandsuch.wordpress...
April
Mar 24, 2013 April marked it as to-read
Shelves: couldn-t-finish

I don't know if it's me or the book, but I'm having a really hard time getting into it, so I'm shelving it for a while, may come back to it in the future.
Katie(babs)
Feb 18, 2013 Katie(babs) added it
Shelves: dnf-award
Lost interested in the first two chapters. DNF.
Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha)
dnf lost interest 73 pages in.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kathryn Barrett reluctantly put aside childhood dreams of becoming an author and took a more practical approach, majoring in Business Administration in college. But after marrying an Air Force officer, she realized a career in high finance didn’t suit an itinerant lifestyle. She happily returned to her first love, writing stories that feature larger-than-life characters, family relationships, and ...more
More about Kathryn Barrett...
Redemption