Start by marking “Courageous Conversations about Race: A Field Guide for Achieving Equity in Schools” as Want to Read:

Deepen your understanding of racial factors in academic performance and discover new strategies for closing the achievement gap!

Examining the achievement gap through the prism of race, the authors explain the need for candid, courageous conversations about race in order to understand why performance inequity persists. Through these "courageous conversations," educators
Published November 30th 2005 by Corwin Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Courageous Conversations about Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courageous Conversations about Race

Sep 15, 2008 angrykitty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, education
i'm gonna be honest and say i'm having a really hard time with this book as it seems to paint asians in a very poor light. i'll finish it because i have to for work, but i'm not going to enjoy it.

this book is pissing me off so much i can't stand it. i have to find a way to get out of the discussion we're supposed to have about it at work next week. i'm gonna end up being the crazy asian lady again if i don't....

totally crappy book....with insights like.....jews are white before they are jewish..
Nov 15, 2007 Karlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in education
I fully agreed with the argument that educators (especially white educators) need to understand the pervasive reaches of white privilege and institutional racism in order to successfully close the racial achievement gap. However, do "courageous conversations" achieve the same enlightenment when held amongst a predominantly white staff? Anne Braden forcefully claimed that white people holding conversations about race with other white people is a dangerous activity, and I agree. Some of the cultur ...more
Catherine Theriault
When I started this book I didn't really expect to be deeply affected...after all I've been teaching with a social justice focus in a racially diverse school for 20 years. My response took me by surprise--Courageous Conversations opens up doors that I didn't even know existed, most notable among my own learning community. I'm now more sensitive to teaching with the race lens and am more open to discussing race with students and colleagues. It's utterly transformative and powerful work.
Mar 01, 2010 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explains how to have conversations about race in a constructive and courageous way. I liked that the authors were very clear that conversations about race would be uncomfortable. They also discussed all the ways people use to avoid talking about race. I entered this book a skeptic, but came out a convert.
I'm actually conducting workshops w/ this text....I find that after my third time reading it...the information is finally beginning to settle in. This is a hard read and is likely to make you angry.
Oct 12, 2012 Abi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Educators, Ed Reformers, Instructional Leaders (maybe parents)
Shelves: profdev
Teachers, administrators, frustrated parents, ed reformers - want to close the achievement gap? Frustrated about blindness to race? Unsure how to reach ALL the kids in your class?

READ THIS BOOK. And think about it...act on it. This book, plus discussions and activities my class has had along with it, has provided me with the tools I need to start (and hopefully stay on) a life-long journey towards being anti-racist and towards being a culturally responsive educator.

Plus, it emphasized both the
Dana DesJardins
Sep 05, 2013 Dana DesJardins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone concerned with human interactions or politics should read this book. Ironically, since before the election of our nation's first black president, we have collectively shunted questions of race aside -- to our detriment. We see the fall-out in Chicago closing fifty public schools, all in predominantly black neighborhoods (and one can safely use that terminology, since Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in America). One sees this in the ever-increasing income gap and the static te ...more
Jul 20, 2012 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
To this point I have learned nothing I didn't know before. Have we solved the problem of Instutional racism? NO, but this book is not necessarily the answer. In TEXAS, kids must pass TAKS, regardless of color.

Before anyone else judges me by my comments here, let me say that I understand that not every minority child gets the fairest break in public schools. I am fully in favor of bringing that to an end. When I rated this book and wrote the review I was speaking only to what was in the book. The
Julie Connor
Apr 04, 2014 Julie Connor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Singleton and Linton provide many strategies for groups to engage in authentic dialogue about multicultural inclusion and diversity. Without transparency and honesty, genuine relationships can not grow and true collaboration is impossible.
Aug 22, 2015 Tsanderswoods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far, the BEST educational book I have read in eliminating the racial achievement gap! A must read for all educators, parents, anyone serious about challenging their beliefs on race and race relations.
Ron Ireland
Sep 13, 2015 Ron Ireland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you feel you're prejudice free, think that all people are the same, regardless of colour? Well, that's one step along the way. Step further, and read this!
Jul 21, 2012 Kehaulani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written by one of the men I most admire, this book is an excellent guide to doing some self reflection around the racialized society in which we live and provides a protocol for having interracial conversations about race, as well as opportunities to examine your own life from a racialized perspective. I think it's an important read for anyone wanting to communicate more effectively and understand the variety of lived experiences of those they come in contact with.
Feb 23, 2013 Keri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books outlines a format that educators may use to conduct conversations about race and its impact on teaching and learning. I read this book several years ago and thought it was "OK." I recently attended "Beyond Diversity" training and had an opportunity to see this model for communication in action. After the training, I reread the book, and it resonated much more deeply this time.
Oct 22, 2007 "Stars" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all middle-class white teachers
Wow. I've now read this book and met the author...and I am SO much more aware of race and it's role in systemic organizations. My biggest Ah-ha moment: If minority students fail in our educational systems, teachers are sent to a workshop; if white students fail, teachers lose their jobs.

If we're not working towards a solution, we are part of the problem.
Jun 20, 2015 Hawk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We are using this book at my school as a framework for building a stronger lens of equity and understanding for our community while working to dismantle the aspects of our institutions that are stacked against those who are not white and not with economic means and power. It's helped understand more of what I don't and probably can't ever fully know.
Mar 06, 2014 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for a book club at work. Interesting perspective. Made me think a lot about how I teach all student.
May 16, 2012 Christie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forces the reader to take a hard look at the public education institution and how institutional racism is a factor in the achievement gap. Asks the reader to do deep self-reflection and honest listening to colleagues of color to understand the situation regarding race and schools...and offers ways/steps toward healing and improvement.
Feb 25, 2014 Wess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oppression, education
I would be very excited to read this book as an educator in a public school, and discuss it with my peers. I think the conversation structure provided is great, even though the book itself may be a bit... foofy, sometimes.
Polly Callahan
Jul 25, 2012 Polly Callahan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Not a silver bullet. More sensitivity training/consciousness raising. More like a book to be used with a professional development course, not for an individual educator to read alone.
I need to read Cornel West's Race Matters
Apr 16, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-justice
I think my school will use some of the ideas from this book next year. I'm still looking for more ideas as well, though because I want us to address the topics in the best manner possible.
Worthwhile read for anyone interested in institutional racism, particularly how it is manifested and can be dealt with in education. However, I would read Beverly Tatum first.
Jenniffer Benedetto
I've been using this book for six years. I originally bought the book when I was teaching Cultural Voices (the first round). I still find it to be an invaluable resource.
Aug 01, 2012 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many ways this is a powerful book. There were parts that seemed a bit contrived or forced, however. I do think it would be a great book for our staff to read and discuss.
Aug 05, 2013 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is the literary equivalent of the awful movie "Crash:" it doesn't matter what you believe, what you say, or what you do, you (yes, YOU) are a racist.
Dec 15, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: npo-management
Best to stay within education circles or any group that works together on a regular basis, for each chapter has activities for ongoing conversations
Molly Giddens
I don't know that we'll (the staff) ever finish this. I'm not as interested in reading it on my own...
Jan 20, 2009 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm taking a break from this book for a while. It is very thought-provoking and I will get back to it soon.
Aug 04, 2011 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting ideas. I still see some of them difficult to bring to the classroom.
Jan Praxel
Feb 27, 2008 Jan Praxel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read this for work and am very glad I've read it for life!
Powerful guide to facilitate a conversation about race
  • Everyday Antiracism: Getting Real About Race in School
  • Young, Gifted, and Black: Promoting High Achievement among African-American Students
  • Can We Talk about Race?: And Other Conversations in an Era of School Resegregation
  • We Can't Teach What We Don't Know: White Teachers, Multiracial Schools
  • Teaching Community: A Pedagogy of Hope
  • Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart: A Systems Approach to Engaging Leaders with Their Challenges
  • The Skin That We Speak: Thoughts on Language and Culture in the Classroom
  • Empowering Education: Critical Teaching for Social Change
  • Teachers as Intellectuals: Toward a Critical Pedagogy of Learning
  • Releasing the Imagination: Essays on Education, the Arts, and Social Change
  • Uprooting Racism: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice
  • Classroom Management That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Every Teacher
  • In Schools We Trust: Creating Communities of Learning in an Era of Testing and Standardization
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • I've Got a Home in Glory Land: A Lost Tale of the Underground Railroad
  • Reading, Writing, and Rising Up: Teaching about Social Justice and the Power of the Written Word
  • Literacy: Reading the Word and the World
  • 'I Won't Learn from You': And Other Thoughts on Creative Maladjustment

“I Dream I am from a clash of Color, From an idea of love, modeled for others’ perception. I see me as I am, but am hidden from others’ views. I am who I am, but a living contradiction to my peers. I see life as a blessing, a gift granted to me. Why should my tint describe me? Why should my culture degrade me? Why should the ignorance of another conjure my presence? Too many times I’ve been disappointed by the looks, By the sneers and misconceptions of the people who don’t get me, Who don’t understand why it hurts. I dream of a place of glory and freedom, Of losing the weight of oppression on my back. I dream of the enlightenment of people, Of the opening of their eyes. I dream for acceptance, And for the blessing of feeling special just once. One moment of glory . . . for the true virtue in my life. For the glimmer of freedom, and a rise in real pride.” 0 likes