Start by marking “The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles, #4)

The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles #4)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  6,859 ratings  ·  699 reviews
In Edwardian London, Magnus Bane discovers old friends and new enemies—including the son of his former comrade Will Herondale. One of ten adventures in The Bane Chronicles.

Magnus thought he would never return to London, but he is lured by a handsome offer from Tatiana Blackthorn, whose plans—involving her beautiful young ward—are far more sinister than Magnus even suspects
Published July 16th 2013 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Midnight Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midnight Heir

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Fav Series
22nd out of 54 books — 49 voters
The Distance Between Us by Kasie WestCamp Boyfriend by J.K. RockAwaken by Meg CabotIndelible by Dawn MetcalfSeven Minutes in Heaven by Sara Shepard
YA Books - Publishing July 2013
21st out of 71 books — 107 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily
JAMES HERONDALE!

COME TO ME, BABY.

Afterthoughts:
What does Tessa, Will, Jem, James, and Magnus in the same room equal to?
Heartache, that's what.
Andre
"Hello Jace, were have you been? And look you once again merged with Alec to become one of Magnus' many totally interchangeable wet dreams."
That was what came into my mind after not even the first few pages of this book.

It is so bad, the first sentence made my eyes role, which might be a first for me. It's the same stuff as usual: Magnus should be pitied and sympathized with for one reason or another, but at the same time acts like an ass and lets his cock rule whenever there is someone similar
Olivia
Apr 12, 2013 Olivia marked it as to-read
Shelves: ebook-wishlist
Oh gosh James Herondale. WE ALL KNOW WHO THAT IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christine Riccio
SO MUCH BETTER than the other installments of the Bane Chronicles that i've read. We get to see the Herondales and a potential new villianess, it's great fun!
Alicia
The Midnight Heir introduces us to James Herondale, the one and only son of Will and Tessa. Wow, he is so similar yet so different from his father. Truth be told, this is the second book of the Bane Chronicles that I have read (yes I know I said I wanted to read the third one, Vampires, Scones and Edmund Herondale because it has a Herondale in it but I couldn't get round to reading it. I will though) and I have to say, I enjoyed it a lot more than the first book, What Really Happened In Peru.

Ja
Ferdy
Spoilers

What the fuck? This was less about Magnus, and more about introducing angsty teen characters from the future Infernal Devices spin off series. Yea, not impressed. The Midnight Heir was a cheap tease to get readers hooked on a series that won't even be released for another two years.

-Magnus was the same old self-pitying fool. I still have no idea why he always feels sorry for himself. He has a great life — he gets to travel, he's respected by his peers, he falls in love ALL THE TIME, and
karly
Herondales = Heartbreakers

This is one of the most moving Bane Chronicle yet! And definitely one of my faves. We get to meet another Herondale. Still not enough to convince you to read it? Well Tessa and Will are here. And obviously Jem.

Discussion:

(view spoiler)
Lecheesekeyk
LET ME TELL YOU THIS. WHO COULD DO THAT TO A HERONDALE?!!!

This is actually my first favorite with Vampire, Scones and Edmund Herondale.

The thing is it's so heartbreaking so I was like.
Heartbroken all the time.
James being so vulnerable makes my heart ache because I remembered Will.
He was making a big line to separate him with the person he loves because its not that he was doing something brave but because he was actually damned.
THIS IS MORE HEARTBREAKING OKAY.
BEING DAMNED IS HEARTBREAKING.
AND
Khairiyyahb
You see them - James said. - The way they all love one another. I used to think everyone loved that way. The way it is in fairy tales. I used to think that love was giving and generous and good.

This way BY FAR the best TBC novella. I cried so bad for the characters I thought I wouldn't meet again if not re-reading the adventures I already knew. But this was a beautiful gift Cassie, Sarah and Maureen so thank you for giving me the opportunity to see my Tessa concerned for his beautiful boy and Wi
Stephanie ♥Loves Adrian Ivashkov♥
Once again my heart is broken. Tessa, Will and Jem together again! <3

How they loved each other, these three, how they had suffered for each another, and yet how much joy they clearly took from simply being in the same room.

Yes, this one was pretty sad but I loved seeing Tessa, Will and Jem again. And also to have read about poor James Herondale. *sniffles*
Matilda
WE HAVE THE RETURN OF JEM WILL AND TESSA!!!!!!
so far this has been the best one there was less Magnus in it( even though he is narrating the whole thing) But we have WILL TESSA AND JEM!!! AND JAMIE who is Will's son and I must say so far seems like a box of fireworks..

CASSANDRA CLARE IS A AWESOME WRITER she has managed to link TLH ( I think that is the name) with this. we have this blooming short book left open no conclusive ending!!!! But not for the next BANE chronicle but for this new series
Hannah
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS YOU'VE BEEN WARNED BUT I'M PRETTY SURE ANYONE WHO READ TID NEEDS TO READ THIS INSTALLMENT OKAY? OKAY.

How could I NOT give 5 stars to this when it had Will, Tessa, Jem, and James Herondale in it? I cant wait to get to know James even more in the future Shadowhunter series, he seems so interesting and so different from Will. Also he has magical powers! He can become invisible/a shadow? Awesome. Yay for Warlock blood!

Let me say I was sobbing when Magnus went to the Ins
Rachthewriter
This was DEFINITELY my favourite Bane Chronicle so far. Never flew through one so fast! So nice to see Will, Tessa and Jem all together again; I loved getting to see Will as a father! AND POOR JAMES! Another Herondale I have fallen in love with haha! I wish this was longer! :)
Annie Brewer
*sighs*

*wipes tears*

*deep breaths*

I can never seem to form coherent thoughts when it comes to Cassandra Clare's work of art. This was one of the chronicles I had been waiting months for. I bought the whole book with each short story thrown in just the other day when it finally released. I bought it for just this one story in particular. I read the first Bane Chronicles story and enjoyed it. I always enjoy Magnus. He's definitely one of my favorite characters of both TMI/TID. He's just such a com
Susi
Recensione presente anche sul Blog http://bookishadvisor.blogspot.it

Sono rimasta completamente senza parole alla fine di questa novella, tra i ricordi che evoca di Clockwork princess, dal quale mi sa che non mi riprenderò mai completamente, e l'introduzione di nuovi personaggi che non fanno altro che annunciare una delle saghe che aspetterò con più ansia nella mia intera vita, e soprattutto perchè non si può introdurre un James Herondale così complesso e profondo in sole poche pagine di una nove
Kasey
UGGH THE FUCKING FEELS! I loved seeing Will and Tessa again. Even though will has gotten older, he hasn't really changed. I just started bawling when Magnus brought up to Tessa about Will dying. I was just like NO MAGNUS STFU! It was great to see them together but also a stab in the heart. Why did Cassie have to write that epilogue!? It just tears my heart open every time I read about my poor Will. James... Haha James. Magnus is right "I see a flair for dramatic runs in the blood." Lol. One of m ...more
Nancy
WILLIAM. THERESA. JAMES. YOU HAVE COME BACK TO ME.
Seeing the Infernal Devices characters again was emotional to say the least- when we last saw them, Will was dead and Jem and Tessa were.... elsewhere. But the three of them were together in this novella, and while Jem wasn't entirely the Jem we remembered, they were TOGETHER, loving each other, and that's what really mattered the most to me.
JAMES HERONDALE. We've seen broken, tortured Herondale boys countless times before, but James was, in my o
Amanda  Nicolette
5 FREAKIN' STARS FOR THIS INSTALLMENT!

Dagnabit! I barely survived reading this book - man, FEELS EVERYWHERE! It feels like, I'm being attacked from every corner of the room and I'm like being squished by it. WELP!

SHADOWHUNTERS, we NOW officially meet JAMES HERONDALE (son of WILL HERONDALE and TESSA GRAY)! There's no question of him being a HERONDALE, GAHHHH his looks and his character just shows it all. James' character may be a little fun at first but when ... my heart aches for this lit
Patricia Carstairs
¡Oh Cassandra, Cassandra!
description

Creo que hasta ahora es mi crónica favorita, la estuve esperando con ansías y más después de que termine Princesa Mecánica. Y ahora después de leer a Jamie, lo que quiero es tener el primer libro de TLH, no puedo creer que aún no se sepa el nombre, me muero por adentrarme en su historia.

Creo que otra vez entre en depresión, esto de volver a leer a (view spoiler) me destrozó por completo, el amor que se tienen estos tres
Carolina Carriço
What can I say?! I cried! I was already expecting this!

In the beginning when James first appeared I cried. When Will appeared I cried. And then Jem showed up and I couldn't stop the tears from falling!

Getting to know Will and Tessa's son was amazing and it left me even more anxious about TLH. I don't know if I can wait 2 years for it!

And I have to admit when James appeared I felt like we has my responsibility too. It's like...I knew his parents all their lives and now I feel like I need to take
Rachel (Miss Perfection)
I read the first Bane Chronicles book and was not impressed. I couldn't resist reading this book though, because we got to see you-know-who and you-know-who act as parents to one of THEIR CHILDREN!!!! We see the threesome together again although it's quite awkward because it's through Magnus Bane's POV!!

Like:
-Will, Tessa, and Jem were there!!
-setting

Dislike:
-The writing. We know it's not you're awesome writing style Cassie :(
-Nothing of significance happened
-Weirdness and randomness of it all

Ellie Red
Good God, the Herondales will be the death of me eventually! I can't wait for the new book series about James and as is seems Grace! I hope Cassandra will never stop writing about this world! I was ecstatic when Magnus went to the institute and saw Tessa, Will and Jem! I miss the infernal devices and its character and this story was like nectar & ambrosia for me! Also I crave to read more about Will & Tessa's life ♥
Amelia
I am in physical pain right now. This is everything I hoped I'd get to see between the main characters of TID and now probably wish I didn't. I cried so hard woops. It was more of a set up for TLH which I'm so intrigued for now, James Herondale just broke my heart. Magnus was perfection as per usual.
Cynthia
No puedo creer que lloré con ésto.. es solo que la simple presencia de Will, Jem y Tessa me hacen llorar. Pensar en Princesa Mecánica y en su hermoso final es llorar. Así de simple, y ver a Magnus teniendo sentimientos por sus amigos y viceversa es lo mejor.
Ronda
Loved reading about Jem, Will and Tessa again, however, I would say that if you have not read The Infernal Devices and plan on doing so, do not read this episode until after - major spoilers if you do!

Love these novels!!!
Khalia
Apr 11, 2013 Khalia marked it as to-read
DOES THIS MEAN WE WILL SEE HENRY AND MAGNUS TOGETHER AGAIN??? PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!!
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
It was clear right from the start, in City of Bones, that Magnus Bane will never be content to remain in the background. He is too fabulous a character to ever be called side, secondary, or anything else to that effect. The Bane Chronicles finally put this powerful, yet kind-hearted immortal front and center, right where he deserves to be.

The Midnight Heir takes place in Edwardian London, and it gives us an opportunity to reunite with Will, Tessa, and even Jem. It is a great introduction into th
Nymeria
Chester Carstairs
Before I discuss the wretched man that is James Herondale, let's talk about our beloved trio that I have missed so much.

If the purpose of The Midnight Heir is to break our healing hearts, then it's mighty successful.

I was excited and yet scared to read this because I know we will once again get a glimpse of the characters I never thought I'll read about again except maybe when I revisit their previous adventures. I wasn't sure if I was ready. Even if I am a huge advocate of Team Jem, I am happy
V!cky
Disclaimer: this review contains SPOILERS FOR CLOCKWORK PRINCESS.

After reading and, sadly, being disappointed by What Happened in Peru I went into The Midnight Heir with cautiously low expectations. I am very happy to say that my wariness was completely unnecessary, as this was a wonderful read.

Magnus Bane is at the top of my favorite TMI/ID characters. I've always been attracted by his flamboyant personality (and wardrobe!), his witty commentary, his perceptiveness, but mostly I love the unique
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • The Too-Clever Fox (The Grisha, #2.5)
  • Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • The First Kiss (The Iron Fey, #1.25)
  • In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
  • Belonging (Darkest Powers, #3.5)
  • The Meeting (Vampire Academy, #1.1)
  • Breathless (Elemental, #2.5)
  • Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5)
  • Dangerous Dream (Dangerous Creatures, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy (Steampunk Chronicles, #2.5)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
  • Lost Scene from Hallowed (Unearthly, #2.1)
  • Die for Her (Revenants, #2.5)
  • Raven (Delirium, #2.5)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)

“Do stop flirting with my husband," said Tessa.
"I shall not," Magnus declared, "but I will pause briefly so that I may catch up on your news.”
104 likes
“Hello, Uncle Brother Zachariah," James said without opening his eyes. "I would say that I'm sorry to bother you, but I'm sure this is the most excitement you've had all year. Not so lively in the City of Bones, now is it?"
"James!" Will snapped. "Don't talk to Jem like that."
"As if I am not used to badly behaved Herondales, Brother Zachariah said, in the way Jem had always tried to make peace between Will and the world.”
89 likes