Start by marking “Saving Raphael Santiago (The Bane Chronicles, #6)” as Want to Read:
Saving Raphael Santiago (The Bane Chronicles, #6)

Saving Raphael Santiago (The Bane Chronicles #6)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,170 Ratings  ·  502 Reviews
A Manhattan teen—Raphael Santiago—is missing, and Magnus Bane must track him down before it’s too late.

In 1950s New York City, a distraught mother hires Magnus Bane to find her missing son, Raphael. But even if he can be found, is Raphael beyond saving?
Published September 17th 2013 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Raphael Santiago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Raphael Santiago

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Fav Series
18th out of 60 books — 58 voters
Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
136th out of 559 books — 1,118 voters

More lists with this book...

Pam
May 09, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5, vamps, ya-fantasy, shortie
5 shorty sweet stars

“Love did not overcome everything. Love did not always endure. All you had could be taken away, love could be the last thing you had, and then love could be taken too.”

Narrated by Cecil Baldwin, Jamie Bamber, George Blagden, Gareth David-Lloyd, Jordan Gavaris, Stephen Lunsford, David Oyelowo, Andrew Scott, Michael Trevino, Jesse Williams

Saving Raphael Santiago was one of the stories I was really looking forward too, at the end of the Mortal Instruments we were privy to a
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Buy this book HERE on Amazon

3 of 5 stars (Please read my rating system further below). Finding about Raphael and Magnus's past together was pretty great. Poor Raphael and his mom ):

My rating system: (I do use half stars.)
5 - I do not use the 5 star. Not because a book might not be worthy, but because a book is never perfect.
4 - I loved it! There weren't too many flaws, and I had no trouble getting through it. (A 4 star rating is the highest rating I've ever given a book.)
3 - I enjoyed the book
Laz
Mar 17, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: tmi fans
Shelves: short-stories
Yes, this is it. I am so glad that we've finally gotten some backstory on Raphael, I've always liked and found him intriguing. It certainly is weird that he's just 15 and he's mature, and I don't think vampirism is what turned him into such a wise person. I liked the relationship he built with Magnus and even if none of them can admit to it, they're friends.
Christina
Apr 08, 2015 Christina rated it it was amazing
An AMAZING story! I was always curious about Raphael Santiago, and if you've read the TMI series, you know what he is and can then infer what "saving" actually means.

There was SO much emotion, on the part of Raphael, in this story. I felt for him so badly. I cried when he cried. I was angry when he was angry. He just felt so much. And is such a strong & deep character.

When Magnus first finds Raphael in this story, I lose it. It was such an emotional and crucial encounter between the two. An
★MC's Corner★
Sep 30, 2013 ★MC's Corner★ rated it it was amazing
Ragnor: Oh, Magnus.
Oh no, no.

Magnus: What?

Ragnor: No, you’re right, of course. I’m being silly. He’s a vampire. He only looks fourteen. How old are you? I bet you’re older than either of us,

ha-ha.

Raphael: I’d be sixteen by now,

Ragnor: Oh, Magnus!
That’s disgusting! How could you? Have you lost your mind?

Magnus: What?

Ragnor: We agreed eighteen was the cutoff age.
You, I, and Catarina made a vow.

Magnus: A v— Oh, wait. You think I’m dating Raphael?
Raphael? That’s ridiculous. That’s—

Raphael: That’s
Jeannette Nikolova
Dec 01, 2015 Jeannette Nikolova rated it liked it
I sort of like Saving Raphael Santiago. I don't recall being a fan of Raphael as he was presented in the other books, but I was definitely a fan of his mean remarks and his delightful habit of calling people stupid in the story. This is probably the funniest one out of those I've read so far, even though there were also some more disturbing themes in it.
Angigames
Aug 31, 2015 Angigames rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Non avrei mai pensato che il passato di Raphael Santiago potesse essere così commovente, ne che dietro quella facciata arrogante e presuntuosa si nascondesse invece una volontà di ferro e un amore incondizionato.
La Clare mi ha premesso di rivalutare tutta la figura del vampiro capo clan di NY, questo nuovo Raphael affascina, emoziona e fa ridere.
Brava Clare!
Ferdy
Spoilers

Meh. I liked this more than the previous novella, but it still wasn't all that great.

-Magnus was as whiny and self pitying as usual. Any chance he got to complain, he did. Also, his obsession with clothes was annoying, in every novella he bangs on and on about his clothes. I get that it's a part of his personality, but it's an established part… So why waste sentences in an already short novella on something that adds nothing to the story or the series?

-Magnus as a private detective was l
Andre
Aug 09, 2015 Andre rated it did not like it
This book was bad. It contradicts itself and all the other books of the same universe. All attempts there were of saving Magnus were ruined; and in my eyes it is too late anyway. This is the 14th book he is in (the 6th where he is the protagonist) and we still know barely anything more of his origins than we knew in The Mortal Instruments. All his “adventures” provide nothing new about him as a character, only the amount of whining and self-pitying increases.

I will give the book credit for tryi
Mairéad (is exploring a floating city)
{March 11th, 2015} MINI REVIEW

3 stars.

SPOILERS i guess

Pg 296.
This one was quite an interesting insider look to Raphael Santiago. Really liked how this one went. i seem to be going back and forth between what i liked and what i didnt here lol ALSO Magus Bane as a detective! Never figured he'd have the patience or sleuth ability to do so with all the glitter. Idk anymore. #baffled

This status updates summarizes my thoughts for this one quite perfectly. Magnus starring as a detective was certainly a
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
The year is 1953 and Magnus Bane is in New York. As a warlock, Magnus is quite often paid for his services in the mundane world. One day, though, he is called upon by Guadalupe Santiago. The boys have been disappearing from her neighborhood and she knows who has been taking them. A Vampire. But now her son, Raphael, is missing. She wants to hire Magnus to find him and bring him home safely to her.

So this is the story of how Raphael came to be second in command to Camille. But, mostly,this is a
Carolina Carriço
Sep 21, 2013 Carolina Carriço rated it it was amazing
I loved this one! Raphael Santiago surprised me!

I must say I used to dislike him, but not anymore. The way he loves his family is just lovely! All the pain he puts himself through for them!! And that end was heartbreaking. His mother is a hell of a woman :D
karly
May 19, 2014 karly rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring. Would definitely change your mind about Raphael Santiago.. and Magnus is fashionably fabulous as ever!!
Thibaut Nicodème
Dec 13, 2015 Thibaut Nicodème rated it it was ok
Shelves: snark
Full review on my blog, the Snark Theater.

Whaaaat? I gave two stars to a Bane Chronicles story? Madness!

Well, okay, it's still bland and fairly pointless. At least a third of this is padding. Also, there are moments of casual homophobia directed at Magnus by sympathetic characters (both Ragnor and Raphael) and no one bats an eye at it. But I think I've grown desensitized.

And at least this story does fill the role of a prequel: give us more insight in the past of the universe. Not Magnus's past—h
Tamara
Dec 12, 2015 Tamara rated it really liked it
When i read this, Raphael's self restraint and hardships, I can't help but feel torn over what is to come of Raphael on TMI. Magnus basically fathered a child-Raphael.
Ronda
Sep 21, 2013 Ronda rated it it was amazing
Another great installment, this one is fabulous because it gives an insight to Raphael and his first steps as a vampire... I just love Magnus and his role in history... love the whole idea of these chronicles!
Anna-Maria Morgenstern
Feb 05, 2016 Anna-Maria Morgenstern rated it it was amazing
This story was brilliant! Fantastic! I loved every single section, every single sentence. The action started right at the first page, and I loved reading about Raphael's life before and after he became a vampire. But not only did this give us insight in Raphael's life, but also Magnus's childhood, which was amazing! I can't tell you how much I loved this story. These 50 pages just brought up so much love, understanding and so many feels for Raphael.
And then I remembered what happened in City of
Clau R.
Aug 10, 2015 Clau R. rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I loved this one so much. Raphael is such an interesting and funny character <3.
Amanda (Fandomly Bookish)
"Believe this, if you believe nothing else. Raphael saved himself."

During this time, Magnus Bane's profession was being a private detective. That is why he got involved in the whole looking/saving for Raphael Santiago ordeal. Raphael's mother asked for his help to find her dear son, for she's very suspicious that he may have been turned into a vampire.

So she was definitely right about that.

Magnus easily located the whereabouts of Raphael and decided to took him under his care. Here we get a g
Livia Liu
Oct 03, 2013 Livia Liu rated it it was amazing
Now ~ This is the best of the Bane Chronicles so far! I came to admire Raphael's strength and determination. This story completely changing my perception of Raphael completely.

"You know him better than anyone else ever has or ever will. You made him, you taught him to be all he is, and you know him down to his bones. You know how strong he is. You know how much he loves you. If I gave you anything, give me your faith now. Teach one thing to all your children. I have never told you anything more
Nastaran

Poor Raphael... I never knew his story... and such a sad touching story... I'm just glad that love was not taken away from him.
Chloë
Sep 25, 2013 Chloë rated it it was amazing
This was as far the best out of all the Bane Chronicles(for me)

I love how Cassie&Sarah highlighted Raphael's personality and how he changed Magnus. Their friendship made me cry, seriously.. the emphasis on their quirky conversations made me tear up especially the part where: " I owe you,warlock" and after that he said "I will never forget" I'M IN A GRAVEYARD RUNNING TEN TIMES BECAUSE I CAN'T CONTROL DEM FEELS!!

But on the bright side it also made me laugh, Ragnor's visit to Brooklyn and mee
Iz
Feb 13, 2015 Iz rated it it was amazing
Oh dio.
Questa era stupenda, sul serio!
Ho sempre adorato Raphael (e ora dopo COHF io.. T.T *sobs*) ed è stato bellissimo e interessante scoprire la sua storia che è molto dolce e commovente.
Il suo rapporto con la sua famiglia è stupendo e lui è fantastico.
Sarcastico, scorbutico, coraggioso, forte, lo amo. (view spoiler)
Stephanie (Bookfever.♥)
Saving Raphael Santiago was way better than the previous part in this short story series. First of all, 50's Magnus was pretty awesome, Second, it had Raphael, loved reading about him and how he became a vampire and third, Ragnor Fell was in it also. Score, score, score. Also, Ragnor + Raphael makes for some pretty awesome dialogues and annoyance from Magnus. Gotta love it.

So, yeah, another great part in The Bane Chronicles. Definitely one of my top favorites. As always can't wait for the next!
Tessa
May 19, 2015 Tessa rated it really liked it
I really loved this one. Unbelievably good. I used to dislike Raphael but knowing his story, knowing how kind, brave, funny and loving he was, I can never hate him again. Once again, Magnus proved his kindness. I am enjoying learning more about Magnus, he really is wonderful. This may be my second favorite so far.

Joana Aleixo
Dec 09, 2013 Joana Aleixo rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, short-stories
I truly loved this one! It was kind of sad... In the TMI books where we meet Raphael.. I didn't like him very much but now I get what he's been through. I loved his family. His mother... She's a really great woman.
It was also sad because it bring up again all that immortality issue and we see how lonely Magnus really is.. How everybody ends up living him. Magnus have such a good heart. He's always helping everyone and he truly likes them. It's heartbreaking.
Andy
Sep 18, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this short story. The more of the Bane Chronicles I read the more I grow to love Magnus Bane as a character.I loved the backstory we got about Raphael and I think he's going to do something important for Magnus in COHF.

“I owe you, warlock,” Raphael said, a cool whisper against Magnus’s ear. I promise you I won’t forget.”

As always can't wait for the next!
Reddish
Aug 15, 2015 Reddish rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Ha estado bien conocer la parte de historia de Raphael. Me ha llegado a caer bien y todo.

"Love did not overcome everything. Love did not always endure. All you had could be taken away, love could be the last thing you had, and love could be taken too."
DJ Johnson
Sep 17, 2013 DJ Johnson rated it it was amazing
If you love Ragnor Fell (and who doesn't?!) then you definitely need to read Saving Raphael Santiago. Ragnor has truly some of his very best lines. I was laughing far more than a person should be at 6:30 in the morning.
Claudia
Oct 31, 2015 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Un'altra novella ben riuscita.
A tratti inquietante, a tratti malinconica.
Raphael Santiago ruba la scena al nostro stregone e ci mostra quanta forza esercita l'amore su un'anima dannata.
  • The Golden Boy (Magisterium,  #4)
  • The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.5)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Shadowhunter's Guide: City of Bones
  • Radiant (Unearthly, #2.5)
  • Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • Dawn of Eden (Blood of Eden #0.5)
  • Adrian's Lost Chapter (Bloodlines, #0.5)
  • Night World: Ash and Mary-Lynnette: Those Who Favor Fire (Night World, Extras)
  • Shadow (Paper Gods, #0.5)
  • Die for Her (Revenants, #2.5)
  • The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Dangerous Dream (Dangerous Creatures, #0.5)
  • Facing Facts (Darkest Powers #3.6)
  • A Dance with Darkness (Angelfire, #0.5)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Bane Chronicles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Bane Chronicles
  • What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles, #1)
  • The Runaway Queen (The Bane Chronicles, #2)
  • Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale (The Bane Chronicles, #3)
  • The Midnight Heir (The Bane Chronicles, #4)
  • The Rise of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #5)
  • The Fall of the Hotel Dumort (The Bane Chronicles, #7)
  • What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything (The Bane Chronicles, #8)
  • The Last Stand of the New York Institute (The Bane Chronicles, #9)
  • The Course of True Love [and First Dates] (The Bane Chronicles, #10)

“How many times have I told you, Magnus? Behave professionaly in a professional setting. Which means no being rude to Nephilim, and also no getting attached to Nephilim."
"I never get attached to Nephilim!" Magnus protested.
Ragnor coughed, and in the midst of the cough said something that sounded like "blerondale."
"Well," said Magnus. "Hardly ever.”
59 likes
“Magnus had often thought of getting a pet, but he had never considered acquiring a sullen teenage vampire. Once Raphael was gone, he thought, he was getting a cat. And he would always throw his cat a birthday party.” 54 likes