Start by marking “Rose Kennedy's Family Album: From the Fitzgerald Kennedy Private Collection, 1878-1946” as Want to Read:

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A selection of more than 300 images--including family letters, personal ephemera, and captivating photographs--collected by Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, many never seen before, featuring the beloved and revered Kennedy family: This remarkable history dates from 1878 through 1946--up to the aftermath of WWII and the beginning of JFK's political career--and covers everything fro ...more
Published October 8th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rose Kennedy's Family Album, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose Kennedy's Family Album

Jan Polep
Oct 24, 2013 Jan Polep rated it it was amazing
I've never met a photo album I didn't like, but the greatest have captions and include some pre-1900 pictures. Rose Kennedy's album fills the bill. Here's a peek at history, fashion, family life, letters, and more...from 1878-1946. The sad note is that, as with your own family albums, you know enough family history to look at many of the smiling faces and say, "What if..."
Robin
Mar 27, 2015 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh, I was bored through most of this book. The Kennedy's fascinate me, especially JFK. I was interested in reading about Rose Kennedy as she was the matriarch of such an interesting and notorious clan. I always thought that she was this strong, amazing Christian woman who had so much heartache to endure. Well, yes she did have a lot of heartache and I guess for the most part she was a strong woman to have been able to endure so much loss. BUT, after reading this book, I have a completely differe ...more
Lisa
Jan 29, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is a very nice book of family photos of the Kennedys and Fitzgeralds and their children from 1878 to 1946. The book therefore includes the death of the oldest child of Joseph P. and Rose Kennedy, Joe Jr. in 1944, but ends prior to the deaths of any of the others. It also includes John F. Kennedy's first Congressional race in 1946 and his swearing-in.

There is a selection of letters written by one family member to another over the years and introduction to the various sections by Caroline Ke
False Millennium
Many unique photos, but the entire production under the control of the Kennedy clan, so you aren't going to see what they don't want you to see. I was always amazed at the distant mother parenting style of Rose Kennedy. "She" kept herself dressed in French couture, while her daughters and sons were slapped into identical outfits (to save time, money and thought, I suppose.) One picture I had never seen was a young JFK on his graduation day from Harvard, looking faintly rumpled and wearing saddle ...more
Chrystine Collins-blums
Nov 03, 2013 Chrystine Collins-blums rated it it was amazing
Rose Kennedy's Family Album is a "must have" for any Kennedy aficionado. I used to feel guilty about my fascination with this complex family until so much of America became hooked on "reality t.v." such as The Kardashians. I indulge my curiosity without any remnants of guilt now.
I've lost count of exactly how many Kennedy biographies I've read but it's between 13-15. Some of these photographs I've seen before but probably about 75-80% of them I haven't. There is also a nice running narrative a
Lcitera
Feb 08, 2014 Lcitera rated it liked it
A book that ...well...is what it is. Nostalgic photos of the nine Kennedy offspring arranged from baby pix to the early 20's, Some interesting and amusing correspondence between parents and siblings and sibling to sibling. A glimpse into a very private, very Catholic, very athletic family. Not a bad way to spend a few hours on a snowy afternoon...takes no longer. Suggest the library, not worth the $40 cost unless one is a Kennedyphile.
Kristina Hoerner
Oct 12, 2013 Kristina Hoerner rated it liked it
I am reading a new bio of Rose Kennedy right now so it was interesting to look through these pictures at the same time. Most of these are not pictures that have been shown before. It is fun to see so many pictures of these famous people as babies and small children. By the time you get to the 1940s, it seems sad. You see these beautiful, healthy smiling faces and know that soon several will be dead. I was particularly saddened by the picture of the family together on vacation near Cannes in 1940 ...more
Amy Getz
Jul 10, 2014 Amy Getz rated it it was ok
I read most books on the Kennedys, and while this book was OK, it wasn't all that informative. I read it on my iPad and it would probably be better to read the actual book in order to see the pictures better.
Amy
May 05, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Although the book does cover the exact time period as reflected in the title, I actually wish it had gone farther, but alas ...

I loved this book! Although I have seen some of these pictures, the majority of these photos were new. Some of my favorite parts of the book were the keen descriptions of various family members by other family members.

On a side note, like some other books that I have read about the Kennedy's this also shows that a bright shining light burns out after Joe Jr. is killed.
Cindy
Sep 05, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I adored the letters to mother and father from the young Kennedys... Loved it.
Rainey
Feb 12, 2014 Rainey rated it really liked it
An intimate look at the family photos of a class-act matriarch.
Dona
Nov 06, 2013 Dona rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Not so much the text, which I had read in other books before, but for the pictures, many of which I had never seen. Fascinating peek at the personal life of a celebrated family. I found the pictures of the “hidden” sister, Rosemary, particularly touching knowing what happened to her only a short time later. She seemed to be so happy and full of life. Joe Kennedy should have been so ashamed of what he had done to her.
Nicole Sunderlin
Jan 13, 2014 Nicole Sunderlin rated it it was amazing
It's a Kennedy book. It gets 5 stars duh.
Jean
Nov 24, 2013 Jean rated it it was amazing
A very touching, heartwarming, and heartbreaking "story" of the Kennedy family which provides an intimacy into their lives and their family relationships through the use of personal family photos.
Judy Erb
Nov 11, 2013 Judy Erb rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, fiction
I have numerous books about the Kennedy's and yet there are pictures and stories contained in this volume that I have never seen or read. A "must have" for any one who admires this family.
Nov 15, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
What a great collection of photos! I loved looking at the clothes, fashions, rare color photos.
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Marsha  Haas
Marsha Haas rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Amani
Amani marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Cheyenne Bagans❤
Cheyenne Bagans❤ marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Judy
Judy added it
Dec 16, 2015
Cierra
Cierra marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Rebecca Ryan
Rebecca Ryan rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Tia Williams
Tia Williams rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Catherine Ferguson
Catherine Ferguson marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2015
Donald Carroll
Donald Carroll rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Caroline Bouvier Kennedy is an American author and attorney. She is the daughter and only surviving child of U.S. President John F. Kennedy and his wife, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis. An older sister, Arabella, died shortly after her birth in 1956. Brother John F. Kennedy, Jr. died in a plane crash in 19
More about Caroline Kennedy...