Start by marking “Rose Kennedy's Family Album: From the Fitzgerald Kennedy Private Collection, 1878-1946” as Want to Read:

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A selection of more than 300 images--including family letters, personal ephemera, and captivating photographs--collected by Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy, many never seen before, featuring the beloved and revered Kennedy family: This remarkable history dates from 1878 through 1946--up to the aftermath of WWII and the beginning of JFK's political career--and covers everything fro ...more
Published October 8th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rose Kennedy's Family Album, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose Kennedy's Family Album

Jan Polep
I've never met a photo album I didn't like, but the greatest have captions and include some pre-1900 pictures. Rose Kennedy's album fills the bill. Here's a peek at history, fashion, family life, letters, and more...from 1878-1946. The sad note is that, as with your own family albums, you know enough family history to look at many of the smiling faces and say, "What if..."
False Millennium
Many unique photos, but the entire production under the control of the Kennedy clan, so you aren't going to see what they don't want you to see. I was always amazed at the distant mother parenting style of Rose Kennedy. "She" kept herself dressed in French couture, while her daughters and sons were slapped into identical outfits (to save time, money and thought, I suppose.) One picture I had never seen was a young JFK on his graduation day from Harvard, looking faintly rumpled and wearing saddle ...more
Chrystine Collins-blums
Rose Kennedy's Family Album is a "must have" for any Kennedy aficionado. I used to feel guilty about my fascination with this complex family until so much of America became hooked on "reality t.v." such as The Kardashians. I indulge my curiosity without any remnants of guilt now.
I've lost count of exactly how many Kennedy biographies I've read but it's between 13-15. Some of these photographs I've seen before but probably about 75-80% of them I haven't. There is also a nice running narrative a
Lcitera
A book that ...well...is what it is. Nostalgic photos of the nine Kennedy offspring arranged from baby pix to the early 20's, Some interesting and amusing correspondence between parents and siblings and sibling to sibling. A glimpse into a very private, very Catholic, very athletic family. Not a bad way to spend a few hours on a snowy afternoon...takes no longer. Suggest the library, not worth the $40 cost unless one is a Kennedyphile.
Kristina Hoerner
I am reading a new bio of Rose Kennedy right now so it was interesting to look through these pictures at the same time. Most of these are not pictures that have been shown before. It is fun to see so many pictures of these famous people as babies and small children. By the time you get to the 1940s, it seems sad. You see these beautiful, healthy smiling faces and know that soon several will be dead. I was particularly saddened by the picture of the family together on vacation near Cannes in 1940 ...more
Amy Getz
I read most books on the Kennedys, and while this book was OK, it wasn't all that informative. I read it on my iPad and it would probably be better to read the actual book in order to see the pictures better.
Amy
Although the book does cover the exact time period as reflected in the title, I actually wish it had gone farther, but alas ...

I loved this book! Although I have seen some of these pictures, the majority of these photos were new. Some of my favorite parts of the book were the keen descriptions of various family members by other family members.

On a side note, like some other books that I have read about the Kennedy's this also shows that a bright shining light burns out after Joe Jr. is killed.
Rainey
An intimate look at the family photos of a class-act matriarch.
Dona
I really enjoyed this book. Not so much the text, which I had read in other books before, but for the pictures, many of which I had never seen. Fascinating peek at the personal life of a celebrated family. I found the pictures of the “hidden” sister, Rosemary, particularly touching knowing what happened to her only a short time later. She seemed to be so happy and full of life. Joe Kennedy should have been so ashamed of what he had done to her.
Nicole Sunderlin
It's a Kennedy book. It gets 5 stars duh.
Jean
A very touching, heartwarming, and heartbreaking "story" of the Kennedy family which provides an intimacy into their lives and their family relationships through the use of personal family photos.
Judy Erb
I have numerous books about the Kennedy's and yet there are pictures and stories contained in this volume that I have never seen or read. A "must have" for any one who admires this family.
What a great collection of photos! I loved looking at the clothes, fashions, rare color photos.
Diane Tant
Diane Tant marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Brooke
Brooke added it
Aug 25, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Caroline Bouvier Kennedy is an American author and attorney. She is the daughter and only surviving child of U.S. President John F. Kennedy and his wife, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis. An older sister, Arabella, died shortly after her birth in 1956. Brother John F. Kennedy, Jr. died in a plane crash in 1999. Another brother, Patrick Bouvier Kennedy died two days after his birth in 1963.
More about Caroline Kennedy...
She Walks in Beauty: A Woman's Journey Through Poems The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis A Family of Poems: My Favorite Poetry for Children Poems to Learn by Heart In Our Defense