The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From the proprietors of the renowned Brooklyn shop and cafe comes the ultimate pie-baking book for a new generation of bakers.

Melissa and Emily Elsen, the twenty-something sisters who are proprietors of the wildly popular Brooklyn pie shop and cafe Four & Twenty Blackbirds, have put together a pie-baking book that's anything but humble. This stunning collection feature...more
Published October 29th 2013 by Grand Central Life & Style

Laurel Bradshaw
This is a WOW book for me, and one that I just might have to purchase, since I want to make every pie in the book! So why "only" 4 stars? Mostly just to caution readers that this is probably not a pie book for beginners. Yes, there are detailed instructions given, but I found them just a bit overly fussy. (Seriously? Chilling the pie crust dough at three different steps of construction?) Experienced bakers will know where they can take shortcuts. Also, many of the recipes call for some rather es...more
Mugga
It's been years since I bought Ken Haedrich's "Pie" and nothing will ever replace it. But I've lost a little pie mojo lately and I needed a little inspiration so with incredible restraint I put this book back on the shelf at the Booksmith and borrowed from the library. Could an old pie maker learn any new tricks? Yes. Yes, she could.

The basic crust recipe, which is all butter, was extremely well behaved. It was the easiest and least frustrating lattice top I've ever made. I was also introduced...more
Lisa
there were many of these pies that i will attempt to make. but i thought that many of them were too extensive and many of the ingredients were ones that would not be easy to find or readily available. i thought wow that sounds interesting but then i would see that the instructions were more than one page and then i thought uhhhh not that is too much work. i also did not like the fact that the crust recipes were in the back of the book i realize that it saves time and space in the book but it was...more
Susanne
Granted, so far I have only made two pies from this book - the Rhubarb Pie on page 76 and the Strawberry Balsamic Pie on page 80 - but both of those were very well received by my family. Frankly, they were super delicious and looked great. Furthermore, I would like to make almost every single pie recipe in this book, and since I borrowed it from the library and the time has come to return it, I think I will buy this one rather than just copy a few recipes. Although some of the recipes are not fo...more
Autumn Garner
I love to bake and I love a really great story, so this cookbook was perfect for me. The layout of the instructions and the amount of detail these two women put into the book are astonishing. If you aren't a baker and would like to be, I would start with this book solely for the guides and resources it provides.

The only reason I didn't give this book 5 stars is because these recipes are truly "unusual". There are maybe three recipes in there that I would actually consider making and the rest ar...more
The pictures are gorgeous and inspiring, and the recipes are really inventive. I've tried a few of the recipes and liked the ones I've tried. I have had some trouble with the crust (all-butter)--following the recipe as-is it gets too sticky. I modified it slightly, using more flour and less liquid, and that worked out fine. Not a big deal, most cookbooks have recipes that you might want to tweak here and there. Really liked this, recommend it, but not for beginner bakers.
Kathryn
This cookbook tells the story of how and why this Brooklyn pie shop came into existence. If you have never attempted making homemade pie crust they walk you through each and every step. And, there are recipes for other types of crusts. Their pies are a bit savory, I prefer the traditional flavors in pies, but this is a great book read on a cold winter's night. Oh, and the chapters are setup by season which is a terrific idea.
Shannon Daigle
Every recipe I tried from this book was delicious. If you're going to try them, though, be warned that you should have a watchful eye on your pie and not so much of a literal eye on the recipe instructions. Sure, the measurements for the pie ingredients turn out a lovely and tasty pie, but often the baking times/resting times are a bit off. As long as you're a remotely experienced home baker, you will get the hang of it, and it's well worth the effort!
Rebecca
I thought I'd never say this, but this book has converted me into a pie crust lover! Even other family members who hate pie crust were converted with me. I checked it out from the library and after baking four pies, bought it for myself to keep!
Rebekah
This is a beautiful cookbook. The recipes are separated into seasons to encourage baking with fresh produce, which is nice, and made me crave cranberries and grapefruit in the middle of July.
Kinsley
Repeat flavoring ingredients in all the pies...surely there is more room for creativity.
Crystal
This is a good collection that serves best the experienced baker.
Klem-mari Chimelis
I need this book in my life, forever. I need to make all these pies.
Sara
Reading up for PI day!
Pat Buzby
I love most cookbooks and this one did not disappoint. Any cookbook about Brooklyn is a good one, though I almost never get there I still feel that since my mother was born there and her mother came there from Ireland, its a part of me. This was a gift from another NJ girl who actually grew in the best NY borough and I enjoy it. The photos are very homey and the rustic pie I immediately made and enjoyed. This is my version of a coffee table book.
Daisy
Feb 13, 2014 Daisy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Avra, Eric Z.
Shelves: cookbooks
I haven't tried any of the recipes yet.
I wish I owned this. It's so beautifully organized, it's satisfying to read. Chapters are separated into seasons and there's one on crust. You know you'll easily find whatever you're looking for if you use this for reference.
Pie crust intimidates me. I want this book.
Frances
Absolutely gorgeous book with delicious and unique pies. I especially appreciate the fact that they've organized their recipes by season, which helps to really remind me when to go out and buy rhubarb.

The strawberry-rhubarb pie was absolutely delicious, and the crust was light and easy to work with. Can't wait to make every single other pie in this stunningly beautiful book.
Rachel Coyne
Oh yum! Oh yum - black-bottom oatmeal pie.
Miriam Niedergang
Miriam Niedergang marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Shari
Shari marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Cheryl Cameron
Cheryl Cameron marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jennifer B
Jennifer B marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
FabulousRaye
FabulousRaye marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book, The: Uncommon Recipes from the Celebrated Brooklyn Pie Shop