The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller, #5)
read excerpt* *Different edition

The Gods of Guilt (Mickey Haller #5)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  10,908 ratings  ·  1,682 reviews

Defense attorney Mickey Haller returns with a haunting case in the gripping new thriller from #1 New York Times bestselling author Michael Connelly.

Mickey Haller gets the text, "Call me ASAP - 187," and the California penal code for murder immediately gets his attention. Murder cases have the highest stakes and the biggest paydays, and they always mean Haller has to be at...more
Published December 2nd 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2013)

Win a Copy of This Book

The Gods of Guilt
    Release date: Jul 17, 2014
    The 'Lincoln Lawyer' returns with a haunting case in the gripping new thriller from bestselling author Michael Connelly.

Mickey Haller gets the text, '…more
    Giveaway dates: Jul 02 - Jul 31, 2014
    20 copies available, 317 people requesting
    Countries available: GB
    read on goodreads
  • Friend Reviews

Joe
    I am once again stating my bias against people telling what the book was about. Don't do that! It is never part of a review. Always assume that the reader knows what the book is about and wants to know what you think of the book. Ok?

Having said that, I have spent far too much time this past month or so reading sequels. I have said in earlier reviews that sequels seldom if ever live up to the original, yet that never seems to be a concern. Today's authors are well paid by publishing companies for...more
    Jan
    I received an advance copy of the The Gods of Guilt by Michael Connelly from goodreads to review. As a fan of Connelly’s writing, I was very happy to reconnect with the Mickey Haller and his world.

One of Connelly’s great gifts is that he creates characters so well that you become connected and want to see how they’re doing. I confess I swallowed the entire story whole without chewing in less than a day. The suspense in parts was unbearable. I’d have to put it down and read something else for a...more
    Michael
    I enjoyed this as a solid entry in the legal thriller series set in Los Angeles featuring Mickey Haller, the man tagged as the “Lincoln Lawyer” for keeping an office in his car. His major case this time around involves a website manager for call girl operations (virtual pimp) who stands accused of killing one of his women over a money dispute. It turns out the call girl is someone whom he cared for and thought he had set on the path to a normal life years ago. Signs suggest she had been working...more
    Karin Slaughter
    Excellent, as usual. And a lot of fun, too. I go back and forth between which series is my favorite, but after reading this, I think Mickey Haller wins.

The great thing about the author (other than his terrific books) is that he is a HUGE library supporter. Whenever I've asked Mike to do something for my library charity, he's always stepped up. Also, I think he is quite handsome, which is always a plus in an author.
    Rex Fuller
    This might be the best of the Haller series and maybe of the rest of Connelly's books too. Mickey is representing someone accused of killing a former client, her pimp. The investigation has great action and discloses corruption in the law enforcement community that led to the charge. The resulting trial is extremely well drawn, ending in a realistic surprise. A few technical legal flaws don't subtract from the crackerjack whole.
    Jane Stewart
    Definitely entertaining. I had some smiles.

Boy can this author write. I can’t believe after doing so many books, he still comes up with such a good story, and well done, and entertaining. He does NOT use artificial devices to create mystery and suspense. He does NOT use flashbacks, jumping around in time, stopping scenes in the middle to create temporary cliffhangers. There’s no stupidity or characters doing things out of character to create conflict. It’s just a good story, in chronological ord...more
    James Thane
    This is another excellent Mickey Haller courtroom drama from Michael Connelly. As the book opens, Mickey is called to the L.A. jail to represent a pimp who is accused of killing one of the women he "represents" in a dispute over money. The pimp had booked a date for the woman at an expensive hotel. But the woman calls the pimp and tells him that there's no one in the room and that she has come home empty-handed.

The pimp admits going to her apartment and arguing with her, insisting that she was s...more
    Mike (the Paladin)
    Yes...a 5. Now while I can't say this is at the top of my 5 star list nor does it make my favorites list I had to rate a bit above other 4 star books. I have grown to like the Mickey Haller books and this one is (I think) the best so far.

Mickey can't really seem to win in life even if he does win in the courtroom. Shut out by his daughter because of events from the last book. Frozen out by his ex-wife because her career's in the cra**er due to supporting him for DA just before he crashed and bur...more
    Tim
    The "gods of guilt," according to Michael Connelly's fictional lawyer Mickey Haller, are juries--along with "plenty of other people out there judging us every day of our lives and for every move we make." Classic Connelly apercu, witty and true and a bit sobering as well. That Connelly can lard this consistently excellent work with insight, with observation, with truth is testament to his artistry, his ability to take thrillers to more exalted places. And this novel is a helluva good thriller (a...more
    Eric
    Jan 30, 2014 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: Fans of legal thrillers, Mickey Haller
    This book, despite being the fifth in its series, maintains a fresh feel because it explores the constant emotional grind of Haller's decision to defend the scum of the earth on a daily basis -- from seeing how he was unable to rescue a former client from her own poor life choices, to dealing with a daughter that does not want to speak to him due to his own career choices -- instead of just walking us through another trial full of twists and turns with the charismatic protagonist narrating.

Don'...more
    Susan
    I'm reviewing this and marking it read but that's a lie. It was soooo poorly written, I really didn't finish. Usually, when I get a book I don't like and, so, don't finish, I just mark it as a reject and move on with my life but... Michael Connelly???!!! I've read and loved every word he's written. But, this one? I don't even think the effort is up to 'phoning it in level'. The half I read was like the poor writing was duking it out with the laziest plot work ever. Pffft. MAJOR disappointment.
    Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
    3.5 Stars

It is very unusual that I rate a novel by Michael Connelly below 4 Stars. That I didn't like The Gods of Guilt is not what I'm saying. I liked it a lot; I just didn't love it compared to the other Michael Connelly books. I guess I just don't enjoy Mickey Haller as much as I love Harry Bosch.

Mickey Haller is just off losing his bid to become LA District Attorney amid a scandal that brought his poll numbers down and has changed his relationship with his ex-wife, Maggie, and his daughter,...more
    Alafair Burke
    I was very lucky to get an early copy of THE GODS OF GUILT, the fifth in the Mickey Haller series. This is series writing at its very best. I feel like I know Mickey well enough to be visiting with a friend, but he continued to develop and surprise me.
    T. Edmund
    Anyone intrigued by the blurb of the latest 'Lincoln Lawyer' novel will not be disappointed by Connelly's recent dramatically named piece The Gods of Guilt.

The story revolves around the murder of a once-time cilent of Haller's, and his determination to discover the truth of it, while defending the prime suspect. The book is a little slow burn for the first half, and then risks becoming uncomfortably dense with intrigue. Nonetheless the finale saves all and combines tension and slightly cynical f...more
    Ware
    There is something about a life in the courtroom that draws trial lawyers to legal thrillers like moths to flame. However, there are very few works that courtroom advocates consider definitive.

Now Michael Connelly has placed The Gods of Guilt at the pinnacle of a very short list alongside A Time to Kill, John Grisham's first Jake Brigance novel, and To Kill a Mockingbird, the Harper Lee classic who brought us Atticus Finch. In doing so, Connelly has surpassed himself and left Mickey Haller's exc...more
    gert
    fact is, michael connelly is pretty much auto-buy for me, and i do love them all. this one not QUITE as much. (i have to say, i'd have preferred if the lincoln lawyer's back story didn't include the 4th wall of him knowing about the movie made about him. meh.)

story was a wee bit convoluted at times, but its not like these books are uber deep, so easy to get back on track. reoccurring characters are back, and there is a major event of the sads involved that i really didn't understand the point of...more
    Jon
    Ha! Released on 12/02/2013. Just finished it! On the 3rd! Not that I was impatient about having to wait to read it. Not much. Worth the wait, as are all Michael Connelly books, especially the Mickey Haller novels. We love the Lincoln Lawyer a lot. No spoilers from me. Just read the darn book. You'll be happy you did.
    Mac
    Typically, I like my books different and offbeat, a unique voice I haven't heard before. But occasionally, I like to step into a familiar world with a voice and character I know, and for me, there's nothing more familiar--and nothing better than--Michael Connelly. And though I prefer Harry Bosch as a character, I particularly enjoy courtroom dramas so I welcome Mickey Haller when he returns.

And The Gods of Guilt is a comfortable re-acquaintance. As usual, the story is clearly told with just eno...more
    Jeanette
    Michael Connelly Kicks Arse, Time After Time

4.5 stars, rounding up to five because there's really only one thing that kept it from being five stars. Said thing being an event near the end of the book that was too predictable due to foreshadowing. Other than that, Michael Connelly has hit another home run for me. You've all heard me sing his praises repeatedly in ways both silly and serious. And he just keeps getting better.

I have generally enjoyed the Harry Bosch books more than the Mickey Hall...more
    Gary
    The 5th book in the Mickey Haller series by Michael Connelly.
    A slow starter but builds up to very good climax. I confess I am a massive Michael Connelly fan and have loved most of his books and this one is another high quality thriller.
    Michael Connelly once again developes his characters so well and shows expert knowledge in the legal system.
    Mal Warwick
    Most successful crime writers develop a single hero who becomes the protagonist of a series of novels. Few authors have two who exist in autonomous (if overlapping) universes. However, Michael Connelly has pulled it off with half-brothers Hieronymous (Harry) Bush, a grumpy LAPD detective, and Mickey Haller, the Lincoln Lawyer of an earlier Connelly novel and a film of the same name.

Haller takes center stage again in The Gods of Guilt, his sixth outing since his debut in 2005. (Bosch is featured...more
    Ronna
    I love the Mickey Haller mysteries, but this one seemed a little bit like lazy writing to me. Though I did enjoy this book, I think much of my enjoyment was based on memories of earlier books, plus the expert trial scenes. Connelly definitely is an expert on handling the inner workings of the courtroom, and the thought processes of the lawyers actions and motivations in handling clients and witnesses.

It's hard to state my problems with this book without giving away parts of the story. I dislike...more
    Harry
    Book Review

First introduced in Connelly's acclaimed The Lincoln Lawyer, Mickey Haller once again steps into the courtroom to defend a client, Andre La Cosse, with ties to a former case Haller had worked on: the murder victim, Gloria Dayton. Gods of Guilt is a gripping story thematically wrapped around the lasting guilt that pervades a jury after rendering a verdict of guilty, though clearly we gain insight into Haller's own Gods of Guilt which he bears on his shoulders. This novel, fabulously wr...more
    Mary Gramlich
    The path to innocence is not a well-traveled journey

Michael Haller has been and always will be a defense lawyer who believes in the right of everyone to a fair trial. An attempt to work on the other side of the aisle created a scenario where he lost more than he could have ever anticipated. Mickey watched and learned from those who practiced before him with the understanding that at times you have to step back and look at the big picture.

The case he is working on now started with a crime that wa...more
    Ric
    I picked this (audio)book up and before I knew it, I was halfway through. Connelly has this gift of storytelling that sucks you right in. His plot twists, delivered with the undetectable approach of a right cross, are like grappling hooks that pull you even deeper into the narrative. His characters trudge heavily with tortured psyches in the darkness where pimps and prostitutes, drug dealers and killers dwell.

Mickey Haller, for one, is a magnet for punishment. Defender of society's forgotten dre...more
    Ed
    The Lincoln Lawyer rides again in this awesome new Michael Connolly legal thriller. Anyone who has had the dubious distinction of sitting in a courtroom for any length of time understands that it can be an incredibly boring experience. Having read all his books, Michael Connolly is anything but boring and brings the process alive here with his usual skill in creating what many might deem an oxymoron - a good guy/ lawyer (and also a memorable cast of characters, plot twists and courtroom drama)....more
    Bob
    Mickey Haller gets the case of web provider for escorts who is charged with the murder of one of his clients. Mickey soon comes to the belief that he is innocent and sets about trying to get him found not guilty. The case soon takes on wider dimensions and more dangerous. The first part of the book concerns the investigations and preparations for the trial and the second part the trial itself. Another engrossing read as the drama plays out.
    Jesse Chounard
    On its own merits, I think I might have given this book a four star rating. Unfortunately, I just can't get beyond everything that happens "off camera" between The Fifth Witness and The Gods of Guilt. It really, really bothers me that that author just decided to hit undo on Mickey's decisions.

That said, it's a fun book and I'll read the next one if he writes another. (Hopefully with fewer references to the Lincoln Lawyer movie.)
    Ms.pegasus
    May 22, 2014 Ms.pegasus rated it 4 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: fans of the mystery-suspense genre
    Shelves: fiction, suspense
    A lot of history dogs defense attorney Mickey Haller in this suspenseful court procedural. Haller is laboring under feelings of guilt. A client he defended successfully, thanks to a technicality, promptly returned to the roads, again drunk, and killed a mother and daughter. The daughter was in Haller's own daughter's class. Now, Haller's daughter Hayley is no longer responding to his calls and texts. Haller's secretary is Lorna Taylor, an ex-wife, and the current wife of his main investigator, C...more
    Linda
    Michael Haller is a defense attorney, one who never hit the big time. He is the object of much disrespect because of the sorts of clients he defends, but Mickey believes that the legal system is stacked against society's lower strata, and is willing to go to bat for them. If some of his tactics are not exactly on the up and up, well, neither are those of the state.

Michael Connelly introduced Haller in the Lincoln Lawyer, and through the next several books in the series, has developed his charact...more
    Another great read by Michael Connelly 8 61 Mar 12, 2014 07:27PM
    wIn book 2 26 Jan 07, 2014 01:14PM
    • Silken Prey (Lucas Davenport, #23)
    • King and Maxwell (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell #6)
    • The Last Alibi (Jason Kolarich, #4)
    • The Double
    • Killer (Alex Delaware, #29)
    • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
    • Suspect
    • The Keeper (Dismas Hardy, #15)
    • Light of the World (Dave Robicheaux, #20)
    • Critical Mass (V.I. Warshawski, #16)
    • Identical (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #9)
    • Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18)
    • Cross My Heart (Alex Cross, #21)
    • Second Watch (J.P. Beaumont, #21)
    • Stone Cold (Joe Pickett, #14)
    • Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus, #19)
    • The Beast (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #21)
    • The Execution (Jeremy Fisk, #2)
    Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Michael Connelly decided to become a writer after discovering the books of Raymond Chandler while attending the University of Florida. Once he decided on this direction he chose a major in journalism and a minor in creative writing — a curriculum in which one of his teache...more
    More about Michael Connelly...
    The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1) The Poet (Jack McEvoy, #1) The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #4) The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch, #4)

“Everybody has a jury, the voices they carry inside. Earl Briggs sits on my jury, Gloria Dayton, too. They are there with Katie and Sandy, my mother, my father, and soon Legal Siegel as well. Those I have loved and those I have hurt. Those who bless me and those who haunt me. My gods of guilt. Every day I carry on and I carry them close. Every day I step into the well before them and I argue my case.” 3 likes
    “I reached between the seats to the backseat, where her purse was on the floor. It was the size of a grocery bag and it weighed a ton.

"What the hell do you have in this thing?"

"Everything."

I didn't ask for further explanation. I managed to pull the bag up to the front seat, open it, and find her iPad. I put the bag on the floor between my feet, lest I pull a muscle leveraging it into the back again.”
    1 likes