Start by marking “The 100 (The Hundred, #1)” as Want to Read:
The 100 (The Hundred, #1)

The 100 (The Hundred #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  14,826 ratings  ·  2,663 reviews
NO ONE HAS SET FOOT ON EARTH IN CENTURIES - UNTIL NOW.

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents - considered expendable by society - are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life... or it could be a suicide mis
Hardcover, First Edition, 323 pages
Published August 2013 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The 100, please sign up.

✧☤DIΛΠΛ☤✧ ☤тιмe ιѕ мaĸιng ғoolѕ oғ υѕ agaιn☤✧ Honestly, the show is much better than the book. The book was good and all, but literally had no concept of time. Basically, the show just gives more…moreHonestly, the show is much better than the book. The book was good and all, but literally had no concept of time. Basically, the show just gives more depth to the novel. The pilot is basically is all of the first book and if you read the second book, it goes off into completely different directions. It will not spoil anything for you as the book and the show are distinctly different. But, I will assure that neither is a disappointment. It is just whether which one you read or watched first is more prioritized in the mind. So, if you watched the show first, you will feel that the book is disappointing in comparison. And if you read the book first, the show is disappointing in comparison. But, both actually are very good!(less)

Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
A terrifying plan began to take shape, and his chest tightened in fear as he realized what he would have to do. But Wells knew there was no other way. To save the girl he loved, he’d have to endanger the entire human race.

FUCK YOU, WELLS. There is another way. You stop being a selfish motherfucker whose brain is located in your fucking penis.

This book is not a dystopian novel of a spaceship society. It's not a post-apocalyptic tale of survival. It's not about the nitty gritty of life within a
Julie
I'm gonna feel like a dick for saying this, but: watch the show instead.

I'm really utterly fascinated with the differences they made to the material, and I honestly feel that the television adaptation made it a much stronger work & story -- I could write a lengthy essay on every single change, but won't, to spare you. I can really only recommend the book for die-hard fans of the show (which is what I have become, ahahahahahahaha sob) and who may want more from their faves, specifically POV c
Faye, la Patata
My recaps of the show!
Episode 1 - The Embodiment of Stupidity
Episode 2 - To Survive, Be Idiots
Episode 3 - Everyone is Valuable, Except The Guy I Hate
Episode 4 - Double Standard Much?

“This shit is going to be a TV show?” was the first thing I thought of when I turned the last page of this book.

I was initially interested in 100 by Kass Morgan when I found out it was going to be adapted into a TV show on CW channel (I think. I may have got this wrong, so please correct me if I got it mixed up!).
Fenia
OMG!!! This book. Bellarke FEELS!! If you watch the show and you're a Bellarke shipper you'll love it!

There were characters missing from the show,like Finn or Jasper and Raven. BUT we had others to keep us company. Glass and Luke are so cute and their story is amazing! Octavia is less fierce in the books. And we had lovely POVs of lots of different characters,so that was interesting. Now the important stuff. BELLARKE. BELLAMY AND CLARKE. CLARKE AND BELLAMY. OTP I adore them so much!!

Beautifu
Giselle
With a fantastic premise and an overall interesting plot, I can see why The 100 has already been signed on by CW as a TV series. If only it was tightened up with better character development and a stronger dedication to world building instead of establishing the romantic angle, it could have been a real page turner. Nevertheless, it's interesting enough to warrant a read. I believe its success will lay in the TV series, however.

100 teenagers are to be sent to earth after humans evacuated it 300
Wendy Darling
DNF at 182 pages. It's not bad, it's just not terribly engaging, and there are too many POVs. Best to stop at this line:

There was no drug strong enough to repair a broken heart.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Mar 21, 2014 Stacia (the 2010 club) marked it as did-not-finish
The top of the review space says : What did you think?

What did I think? I think I'm out. That's what I think. DNF @ 40%.

There were too many PoV's. As well, there were too many flashbacks for too many PoV's. And let's not forget that I get iffy when there's too much flirting/pining/romance when it starts to choke out a great sci-fi concept.

Sadly, I'm not even sure if the show is going to work for me. When all the kids ran off the ship in a very non-cautious and jubilant way, I think my mouth dro
Riley
I didn't hate this. I thought I would but I didn't.
I think if I hadn't already watched the show, and loved these characters I would have been extremely annoyed and frustrated with them. But since I went into the book with love of the characters and the world, things that typically would annoy me didn't.

But yeah I honestly only liked this because I love the show so much and because I FINALLY got a Bellarke kiss
Courtney Wells
I've been watching the show since it first aired and am ashamed to admit I didn't know there was a book it was based on.

Having read this, I understand why changes were made for the show's purposes but I feel the book really did more with the characters. It was written in a style I felt was engaging and engrossing overall; however, some of the characters relied heavily on tropes and had flimsy, foolish motivations at times. For that reason the plot stretched disbelief in some places while wearin
Krista (Nawanda Files)
May 21, 2013 Krista (Nawanda Files) marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013, little-brown
Saw a clip for the CW show, and all I can say is that it looks awesome! Now, I'm super excited for this book. Plus...this is generally what I think about YA books being made into television shows:

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I picked The 100 up because I’m a bookaholic and I can’t control myself as one of NetGalley’s “read now” selections. All I knew going in was that this is currently a television series on the CW Network. Now, I’ve watched enough of the CW to know that (excluding the delicious train wreck called “Makeover Day” on America’s Next Top Model) the viewership (which, at times, includes myself) tends to land in one of the following camps:

50% D
Juliana Zapata
Este libro me atrapó muchísimo, creo que es por el parecido con Lost (mi serie favorita), ya que esta contado de la misma forma y el punto de partida de la historia también es similar.

La historia tuvo picada mi curiosidad hasta el final, incluso los capítulos finales fueron los más intrigantes de todos.
Cait Grace
That was...awful. I'M SORRY. But this was written about excitingly and interestingly cereal box. Which kills me, because the premise is SO GOOD. Poisonous earth?! Kids being sent like convicts?! I really hoped it'd be like a sort of retelling of Australian convicts or something. BUT IT WAS NOT. It was woeful.

WHAT I HOPED THE BOOK WOULD BE ABOUT:
+ Survival. Since they're going back to an unpopulated earth.
+ Dangerous. Helloooo, freaky animals or whatnot!
+ Teens working together to figure things
⇠ ⇢* Sophie MG
And.....another review I need to make!!!
Kimi

Edit after watching 2 seasons of the TV Show in less than a week:

You guys ditch this book and go watch the TV Show like right now! It's 10 times better I kid you not.

-----------------------

So I basically read this book only because I heard so many great things about the tv show. I didn’t hate it, it was definitely a good story but I didn’t love it either, mainly because of the writing style.

The ones I hated:

Wells:

The stupidest idiot I’ve ever read about. He took some very questionable decisio
Gillian

Rating: Whelmed.

The cover: I find this cover really visually appealing, and it definitely captures the romantic-sci-fi vibe that the book has going on.

The story: I will watch almost any TV show on the CW, whether it has vampires or love triangles or super heroes or really hot, shirtless people (they all have really hot, shirtless people).

You're welcome.

So when I heard that one of their new fall shows was based off a new fall book, I knew I had to get in on this business. Especially because the b
Marnie
The tv show is one of my absolute favourites, so going into this book, I didn't actually have very high expectations. I'd heard that the book was very different to the show, and since I love the show, I wasn't too sure on what to expect. However, this book was exactly what I needed to feed my cravings whilst the tv show is on break until later in the year!

The story is different, and I liked hearing about the characters that have no appearance on the show. I mean, anything that involves Bellamy B
Caitlyn
I had such high hopes.

I knew I wanted to read this the minute I got past like episode two of the TV show, so much so that my friend gave it to me as a birthday gift (probably because I wouldn't shut up about how much I needed it.) Much to my sadness, everything about this book was lacking. Please allow me to elaborate.

The characters: The book rotates through 4 perspectives: Clarke, Bellamy, Wells, and Glass. Who is Glass you might ask? Someone that was not in the show. More on her later. Okay,
Emily  (ObsessedReader)
It's been a full 24 hours since I read this, but I CANNOT stop thinking about it! I am obsessed. I am sitting here impatiently waiting for the last two books in the series to get in my mailbox so I can marathon them both. Probably in one sitting. It's that good.
This is one of those books that completely surprised me, and a combination of beautiful (and seemingly effortless) writing, plus really cool characters, and an AWESOME/totally original storyline has sucked me in and consumed me.
READ. THI
Mirayda
Wells katıksız mal. *sorrynotsorry*
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
The 100 has been billed as Battlestar Galactica for teens, and, for once, I totally agree with the marketing. Of course, it's very much season 3 Battlestar where things started going a bit off the rails, with some people on planet in weird costumes and Gaius Baltar becoming some sort of religious figure on the ships. I mean, not exactly, but that's the level of quality the book has. It's not the first season of awesome, and it's not quite the ending where I didn't know what the fuck was happenin ...more
Neil(ed) it!
1.5

When I first saw it in the bookstore and read the blurb on the back cover, I was intrigued. And I note to myself that I will love this one. But maybe you can't just force yourself to love something you don't find loving. What a shame.

I like the concept of The 100 yet almost the whole book was all about love-- kissing, saying "I love you" and whatnot. What the hell. Really characters, this is supposed-to-be a story of survival and discovery, not love. But love conquers all so that's why. Not t
Eren Nadir Akşamoğlu
Diziye neden sinir olduğumu anladım. Harika bir kitabı katletmişler lan. Olmayan karakterler üretmek mi dersin, hali hazırda harika iki karakteri silmek mi dersin oohooo. Yorumu yakında gelecek. Üstelik epey uzun olacak çünkü sinirliyim -,-
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
The door slid open, and Clarke knew it was time to die.

Too many POV's for my taste... (Clarke and Bellamy's POV was perfectly fine for me, but Wells and Glass was okay in the start, but then I started losing interest in them, specially Wells..) , but I love ALL the Bellarke scenes! And yes, you have guessed it, I'm a HUGE Bellarke fan! Though, I had expected a love-hate relationship between Clarke and Bellamy like in the TV-show, but I guess you kinda have to separate the book and the show,
Elesia
*3.25-3.5 stars*

I liked this more than I thought I would, but I didn't love it. I enjoyed the writing and I like the plot, but I had a problem with all the POV changes, there was too many POVs for me to be able to really connect to any of the characters and it was lacking with the world building. The book was good but I definitely prefer the TV show over the book, which is very rare!
Valentina
so much more bellarke than in the tv show, also more wells and clarke but ugh
Sylvia Snow
Questa è stata la mia reazione a circa ogni due pagine di The 100:

Ma partiamo dal principio.
Ho iniziato a leggere The 100 perchè la serie tv è davvero uno splendore.
Poi ho letto il libro e diciamo pure che ho quasi rischiato di gettare il kindle dalla finestra.

Riassumiamo i fatti più "importanti" di questo libro.

Cento ragazzi vengono scaraventati sulla Terra dall'ultima stazione orbitale sopravvissuta al disastro atomico e ciò per permettere agli abiatanti dell'Arca di ottenere più ossigeno, e
Riley Blue
Cien jóvenes delincuentes han sido seleccionados para participar en una peligrosa misión: recolonizar la Tierra. Son chicos y chicas de edades y procedencias distintas, algunos peligrosos, otros, ahora en peligro. Tras un brutal aterrizaje, los cien llegan a un maravilloso y salvaje planeta que solo han contemplado desde el espacio. Se cree que la atmósfera terrestre es tóxica, inhabitable. Ha llegado el momento de averiguarlo.

Entonces… la idea en general es buena, el problema es que la escritor
Jess
Aug 28, 2014 Jess rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chocolate strawberries fans aka overpowering chocolate taste. Same case. Romance > dystopia.
To save the girl he loved, he’d have to endanger the entire human race.

Pick up your shit and get with the fucking program, Wells. You’re on what appears (objective word here) to be a post-apocolyptic toxic (but not fucking explained) dystopian Earth. How about you save the selfishness for a rainy day and take out some of that much needed self preservation.

If The 100 was anything, it surely, not even in it’s dreams, wouldn't be a post-apocolypitic dystopia. It’s a fucking romance novel. D
2015 Reading Chal...: The 100 4 30 Jul 29, 2015 08:09PM
Pro-Active Destru...: The 100 (TV Show) 12 35 Jul 13, 2015 08:27AM
The books with looks: BOTM March 2015 - The 100 17 15 Jun 09, 2015 05:25PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The 100 by Kass Morgan 2 14 May 14, 2015 11:56PM
Crazy for Young A...: The 100 by Kass Morgan → Start Date: June 19th, 2015 1 6 May 10, 2015 08:04AM
2015 Reading Chal...: The 100 by Kass Morgan 1 14 Mar 30, 2015 07:48AM
The Book Was Better: The 100(hundred) 11 64 Mar 13, 2015 06:15PM
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Relic (Books of Eva, #1)
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • Countdown
  • Wasteland (Wasteland, #1)
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Icons (Icons, #1)
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • 3:59
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • Replica (Replica, #1)
  • Relativity
  • Half Lives
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
Kass Morgan studied literature at Brown and Oxford, and now resides in Brooklyn, where she lives in constant fear of her Ikea bookcase collapsing and burying her under a mound of science fiction and Victorian novels. Kass is currently working on the sequel to The 100, which she’ll finish as soon as she finds a coffee shop that allows laptops on the weekend.
More about Kass Morgan...

The Hundred (3 books)
  • Day 21 (The Hundred, #2)
  • Homecoming (The Hundred, #3)
Day 21 (The Hundred, #2) Homecoming (The Hundred, #3) The 100 - FREE PREVIEW EDITION (The First 7 Chapters) (The 100 Series) Gossip Girl: It's the End of the World and I Love It (Kindle Worlds Novella) The 100 Boxed Set

3 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Octavia was the only person in the world who truly knew him. There was no one else he really cared about ever seeing again. But then he glanced over Clarke, who was leaning over to breathe in the scent of a bright pink flower, the sun catching the gold strands in her hair, and suddenly he wasn't so sure.” 133 likes
“exhilaration fizzed through Clarke’s body. Before she realised what she was doing, she had thrown her arms around Bellamy. He joined in her laughter as he staggered backward, and wrapped his arms around her waist, lifting her up and spinning her through the air. The colours of the clearing swirled, green and gold and blue all blurring until there was nothing in the world but Bellamy’s smile, lighting up his eyes. Finally he set her down gently on the ground. Be he didn’t loosen his grip. Instead he pulled her even closer, and before Clarke had time to catch her breath, his lips were on hers. A voice in her brain told her stop, but it was overpowered by the smell of his skin and the pressure of his touch. Clarke felt like she was melting into his arms, losing herself in the kiss. He tasted like joy, and joy tasted better on Earth.” 97 likes