The 100 (The Hundred, #1)

The 100 (The Hundred #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  4,844 ratings  ·  1,144 reviews
In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a...more
Published September 3rd 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The 100, please sign up.

Sam Whitehouse The pilot episode of the tv show is an adaption of the book. The rest of the series has been made up by the tv show's writers, but is still based upon…moreThe pilot episode of the tv show is an adaption of the book. The rest of the series has been made up by the tv show's writers, but is still based upon the concept of the book. (less)

Khanh (Kittens, Rainbows, and Sunshine)
A terrifying plan began to take shape, and his chest tightened in fear as he realized what he would have to do. But Wells knew there was no other way. To save the girl he loved, he’d have to endanger the entire human race.

FUCK YOU, WELLS. There is another way. You stop being a selfish motherfucker whose brain is located in your fucking penis.

This book is not a dystopian novel of a spaceship society. It's not a post-apocalyptic tale of survival. It's not about the nitty gritty of life within a g...more
Faye, la Patata
My recaps of the show!
Episode 1 - The Embodiment of Stupidity
Episode 2 - To Survive, Be Idiots
Episode 3 - Everyone is Valuable, Except The Guy I Hate
Episode 4 - Double Standard Much?

“This shit is going to be a TV show?” was the first thing I thought of when I turned the last page of this book.

I was initially interested in 100 by Kass Morgan when I found out it was going to be adapted into a TV show on CW channel (I think. I may have got this wrong, so please correct me if I got it mixed up!). A...more
Giselle
With a fantastic premise and an overall interesting plot, I can see why The 100 has already been signed on by CW as a TV series. If only it was tightened up with better character development and a stronger dedication to world building instead of establishing the romantic angle, it could have been a real page turner. Nevertheless, it's interesting enough to warrant a read. I believe its success will lay in the TV series, however.

100 teenagers are to be sent to earth after humans evacuated it 300...more
Wendy Darling
DNF at 182 pages. It's not bad, it's just not terribly engaging, and there are too many POVs. Best to stop at this line:

There was no drug strong enough to repair a broken heart.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Mar 21, 2014 Stacia (the 2010 club) marked it as did-not-finish
The top of the review space says : What did you think?

What did I think? I think I'm out. That's what I think. DNF @ 40%.

There were too many PoV's. As well, there were too many flashbacks for too many PoV's. And let's not forget that I get iffy when there's too much flirting/pining/romance when it starts to choke out a great sci-fi concept.

Sadly, I'm not even sure if the show is going to work for me. When all the kids ran off the ship in a very non-cautious and jubilant way, I think my mouth dro...more
Krista (Nawanda Files)
May 21, 2013 Krista (Nawanda Files) marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013, little-brown
Saw a clip for the CW show, and all I can say is that it looks awesome! Now, I'm super excited for this book. Plus...this is generally what I think about YA books being made into television shows:

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I picked The 100 up because I’m a bookaholic and I can’t control myself as one of NetGalley’s “read now” selections. All I knew going in was that this is currently a television series on the CW Network. Now, I’ve watched enough of the CW to know that (excluding the delicious train wreck called “Makeover Day” on America’s Next Top Model) the viewership (which, at times, includes myself) tends to land in one of the following camps:

50% D...more
Gillian

Rating: Whelmed.

The cover: I find this cover really visually appealing, and it definitely captures the romantic-sci-fi vibe that the book has going on.

The story: I will watch almost any TV show on the CW, whether it has vampires or love triangles or super heroes or really hot, shirtless people (they all have really hot, shirtless people).

You're welcome.

So when I heard that one of their new fall shows was based off a new fall book, I knew I had to get in on this business. Especially because the b...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
The 100 has been billed as Battlestar Galactica for teens, and, for once, I totally agree with the marketing. Of course, it's very much season 3 Battlestar where things started going a bit off the rails, with some people on planet in weird costumes and Gaius Baltar becoming some sort of religious figure on the ships. I mean, not exactly, but that's the level of quality the book has. It's not the first season of awesome, and it's not quite the ending where I didn't know what the fuck was happenin...more
Teresinha
Dobré čtení. Jak už jsem psala v komentáři: Odsejpá to. Nemá to zbytečně moc stran, kde se vlastně nic neděje. A je to taková trochu sociální dystopie, sice v budoucnosti a napůl ve vesmíru, ale jde hlavně o lidi a charaktery. Je tam spousta postav a každá má kolem sebe milion problémů, ale přitom to dohromady pořád funguje. A bavilo mě, že to jsou delikventi, sice často neprávem, ale prostě trochu "bad guys". Líbilo se mi střídání perspektiv a flashbacky, které postupně osvětlovaly všechny post...more
Astrid
Not just another Sci-Fi!

After reading the back of this book I thought this would be a book for me. And after reading it I realised that I was right. This is a story about 100 young criminals who are part of the last humans. They live in spaceships far above the Earth so they are safe for the toxic atmosphere which surrounds the Earth. The 100 delinquents are the first people on the Earth after 300 years being up in space. But that’s just what they think…

The book is wonderfully written and I was...more
Richa
Originally posted at City of Books

I first heard of the TV show based on this book, and I thought it had an awesome premise. I decided I would watch it when it comes out. Imagine my surprise when I find out it's originally a YA book! My friend Rabiah brought me back an ARC of The 100 from ALA 2013, and I was so stoked to read it. The 100 is an amazing post-apocalyptic debut, and I can't wait to see how this series turns out.

The entire human population lives in a ship in outer space, known as the...more
Stephanie ♥Loves Adrian Ivashkov♥
Okay, I hadn't expected to like The 100 this much. I think I went into it with low expectations because I know a lot of people don't like it but it was actually pretty great. The concept is pretty interesting, with the survivors of the human race being in space and the criminal kids getting send to earth. Yeah, I liked it. And I even read it pretty fast - I started reading on friday and finished on saturday so that's also a plus for this book.

So I've watched the tv show and it's one of my favor...more
Dánae
Cien jóvenes delincuentes han sido seleccionados para participar en una peligrosa misión: recolonizar la Tierra. Son chicos y chicas de edades y procedencias distintas, algunos peligrosos, otros, ahora en peligro. Tras un brutal aterrizaje, los cien llegan a un maravilloso y salvaje planeta que solo han contemplado desde el espacio. Se cree que la atmósfera terrestre es tóxica, inhabitable. Ha llegado el momento de averiguarlo.

Entonces… la idea en general es buena, el problema es que la escritor...more
Sylvia Snow
Questa è stata la mia reazione a circa ogni due pagine di The 100:

Ho iniziato a leggere The 100 perchè la serie tv è davvero bella. Poi ho letto il libro e diciamo che ho quasi rischiato di gettare il kindle dalla finestra.
La protagonista, Clarke, non è di certo una persona normale: va nel bosco insieme a un tizio che conosce da tipo due minuti, trova le medicine che erano state disperse nell'atterraggio e, ovviamente, esprime la sua gioia pomiciando violentemente con il suddetto ragazzo a lei s...more
Becca (Pretty Little Memoirs)
The 100 has A LOT to rave about; believe me. From the startlingly eerie and striking cover, to the weaving conversation of the changing point-of-view's, and not to mention the incomparable and thrilling plot.
There's Clarke; who lost her parents, was arrested for treason and was betrayed by someone she loved a lot and wrongly convicted. Then there's Wells; the chancellor's son, who was the boy who Clarke was betrayed by, though he is still desperately in love with her and would do anything to mak...more
Bèbè ✦ the Ryski  ✦
description

300 years after nuclear Earth, people that survived and now live on spaceships are ready to check if it's save to go back. With resources running out, the government decides to send 100 teenagers who are all criminals to Earth to test the environment. With different POVs and stories, the reader gets a chance to look at the adventure from different angles as well as be in the middle of action in all times.

Baby T-Rex
I read this up til the halfway point, but after that I skimmed it. I just couldn't be bothered to waste much more time on it.

The book starts out strong, with good writing, an interesting premise, compelling characters, and a lot of action as the 100 delinquents leave the spaceships orbiting Earth.

But once they get to Earth... nothing happens. Seriously. They sit around and argue about medicine. One guy goes hunting. Zzz. Plus you never feel the sense that there are 100 of these people there, or...more
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
**ARC kindly provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

Well, that was not what I expected-at all. This has such a low rating and only a small amount of people liked it. I find that I am in the group that found enjoyment out of this. No, it wasn't a completely action packed dystopian and no there wasn't a TON that went on, but I guess, for once, the romance was enough.

It would be better to lie. His father would have an easier time believing that Wells had been carrying out a dare....more
Sam
DNF.

This isn't outrageously awful, but I have no interest in the characters whatsoever. (I blame the multiple perspectives.) And when I don't care about the characters, I care very little about everything else.

The TV potential is obvious, but as a book, The 100 simply does not work.
Julie
I'm gonna feel like a dick for saying this, but: watch the show instead.

I'm really utterly fascinated with the differences they made to the material, and I honestly feel that the television adaptation made it a much stronger work & story -- I could write a lengthy essay on every single change, but won't, to spare you. I can really only recommend the book for die-hard fans of the show (which is what I have become, ahahahahahahaha sob) and who may want more from their faves, specifically POV c...more
Jess
Aug 28, 2014 Jess rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chocolate strawberries fans aka overpowering chocolate taste. Same case. Romance > dystopia.
To save the girl he loved, he’d have to endanger the entire human race.

Pick up your shit and get with the fucking program, Wells. You’re on what appears (objective word here) to be a post-apocolyptic toxic (but not fucking explained) dystopian Earth. How about you save the selfishness for a rainy day and take out some of that much needed self preservation.

If The 100 was anything, it surely, not even in it’s dreams, wouldn't be a post-apocolypitic dystopia. It’s a fucking romance novel. Do...more
Rachel Lightwood
This is the first book that I have given 5 stars all year: that is eight months and about 180 books that I have read and haven't found as good as this. I just wanted to note that before I began. If that doesn't speak volumes I don't know what will.

There really isn't much I am going to be able to say about this. Some people say that bad reviews are hard to write but I disagree - I am terrible at writing the glowing, happy, giddy-from-fangirling reviews. I just don't have the words to describe how...more
Hanka
Neodporúčam čítať. Fakt nie.

Zlé, zlé, zlé a ešte raz zlé. Prečo? Pozrime sa na to.

Na Zemi sa stala nejaká katastrofa - jadrová vojna alebo niečo podobné, ale čo konkrétne, to sa v knihe nepíše. Maximálne sa spomína jadrová zima a nejaké Pálenie Severnej Ameriky. Časť ľudstva sa však zachránila a žije už tristo rokov na nejakej vesmírnej stanici, o ktorej sa nedozvieme nikdy nič viac okrem toho, že je rozdelená na tri časti - Phoenix, Walden a Arcadia a že Phoenix je omnoho luxusnejší a jeho obyv...more
Arvy
The 100 is my 100th read and I was seriously expecting it to be that grand. Yeah, skank. But what I got was 323 pages of intense intense intense nothing.

It felt too raw and fast. It didn't thoroughly explained how:

1. The 100 got into the the drop ship.
It was all unclear. How did one get in? Was it possible for them to walk through some gangway toward the drop ship without losing gravity since the pull is scientifically different there? You can't just let a gunpoint scene cover the whole departu...more
Thalia
Jul 30, 2013 Thalia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Sci-Fi Romance
Read the review on my blog:
Carine
I read the first few pages on Entertainment Weekly and thought it was very engaging. Unfotunately that didn't translate into the whole book.

First, it has no passion. You don't get attach to the characters and when/if they die you don't really care. I think it didn't help that there is no description of the characters, any of them, at any point in the book.

I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that this was a book created for tv adaptation but it's very problematic. Even if you like to imagine how...more
Jenni Arndt
I had heard nothing about The 100 prior to the book showing up at my house for review. Upon starting it I was told that there is a CW show already in the works but I held off on watching the preview because I didn’t want to have any of the happenings in the book spoiled for me. Upon finishing I can say that it read pretty much like a CW TV show; nearly addicting while being incredibly romance heavy and having it’s fair share of flaws.

We catch up with society as they have been marooned in space...more
♥ ĸαяα ♥
* * * This may contain very MILD spoilers; but there was nothing truly shocking about this novel so I wouldn't be too worried. The things I do consider to be spoilers will be hidden underneath a tag. * * *

Oh dearie me.

I had high hopes for this one, I really did. Unfortunately the majority of the Science Fiction / Dystopian novels I read are pretty crappy--generic plot, boring characters--and I feel like this one fell into that slot.

My main issue with this was the multiple POVs. THE 100 follow...more
Shanti
WHAT?? WHY DID IT END THERE?!?!? Cliffhangers I swear... ajfhdajkgh.

The 100 is the story of four teenagers living on a spaceship that orbits the nuclear wasted Earth. Resources are running low, despite people routinely being killed off for minor crimes, so the criminals who are still alive get sent to earth to give it a road test.

The story is told half in the present, and half in italicised flashback mode which really isn't my favourite thing, but it's one way to tell a story. I think as a r...more
Pro-Active Destru...: The 100 (TV Show) 4 5 Aug 11, 2014 11:19AM
I loves this book 14 44 Aug 01, 2014 02:00PM
Addicted to YA: The 100 TV Show 17 40 Aug 01, 2014 11:36AM
The 100: The Book 7 19 Jul 23, 2014 09:01AM
The 100: NO Spoilers!!! 1 11 Jul 09, 2014 10:24AM
The 100: Episode 12 We are Grounders Part 1 1 8 Jul 05, 2014 06:24PM
The 100: Episode 11 The Calm Discussion 1 3 Jul 05, 2014 06:22PM
  • Tumble & Fall
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • Relic (Books of Eva, #1)
  • Inhuman (Fetch, #1)
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • Scorched (Scorched, #1)
  • Relativity
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • Icons (Icons, #1)
  • Rush (The Game, #1)
  • 3:59
  • Tandem (Many-Worlds, #1)
  • Find Me (Find Me, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • Revolution 19 (Revolution 19, #1)
  • The Uprising (The Forsaken, #2)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
Kass Morgan studied literature at Brown and Oxford, and now resides in Brooklyn, where she lives in constant fear of her Ikea bookcase collapsing and burying her under a mound of science fiction and Victorian novels. Kass is currently working on the sequel to The 100, which she’ll finish as soon as she finds a coffee shop that allows laptops on the weekend.
More about Kass Morgan...
Day 21 (The Hundred, #2) The 100 - FREE PREVIEW EDITION (The First 7 Chapters) (The 100 Series) Gossip Girl: It's the End of the World and I Love It (Kindle Worlds Novella)

“Octavia was the only person in the world who truly knew him. There was no one else he really cared about ever seeing again. But then he glanced over Clarke, who was leaning over to breathe in the scent of a bright pink flower, the sun catching the gold strands in her hair, and suddenly he wasn't so sure.” 32 likes
“That was the thing about secrets-you had to carry them with you forever, no matter what the cost.” 30 likes