Start by marking “Shifting Dreams (Cambio Springs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shifting Dreams (Cambio Springs, #1)

Shifting Dreams (Cambio Springs #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,195 ratings  ·  119 reviews
Somedays, Jena Crowe just can’t get a break. Work at her diner never ends, her two boys are bundles of energy, and she’s pretty sure her oldest is about to shift into something furry or feathery. Added to that, changes seem to be coming to the tiny town of Cambio Springs—big changes that not everyone in the isolated town of shapeshifters is thrilled about.

Caleb Gilbert was
Published March 5th 2013 by E. Hunter (first published March 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shifting Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shifting Dreams

Magic Rises by Ilona AndrewsWicked Cravings by Suzanne  WrightWildfire by Mina KhanThe Alpha's Daughter by Jacqueline RhoadesWolf Protector by Milly Taiden
Shifter Love Moon Read Nominees
6th out of 44 books — 24 voters
Raw by Belle AuroraFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesWallbanger by Alice ClaytonCrashed by K. BrombergThis Man by Jodi Ellen Malpas
Most Talked about Books on Facebook
473rd out of 855 books — 1,767 voters

More lists with this book...

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥

There is a town deep in the Mojave Desert, that nothing is as it seems.

Welcome to Cambio Springs

description

Home and shelter for shapeshifters, this unique town is struggling to survive. The only way is through progress and unexpectedly, blood...

description

An unheard of, in this town of loyalty and solidarity, murder investigation will unearth secrets, greed and passions. It will either lead in the future or in the whole town's doom.

"Everything happens for a reason."

Caleb Gilbert, accepts the job offer of Cambio Spr
Kathleen

3.5 stars, possibly 4. I enjoyed it, but it felt almost like it was written for a YA audience, even though it has explicit sex and the H/h are 30+ years old. However, the mythos about the shape-shifting town was unique. I liked it. Also intriguing are the Native American taboos about the dead, etc.

I began this Cambio Springs series with the short prequel, Long Ride Home (review). Shifting Dreams is set three years after the prequel, in Cambio Springs, a small town off the beaten path in the Mo
Melindeeloo
I've enjoyed Hunter's Elemental World books but the residents of Cambio Springs are actually more up my supernatural alley.

Outsiders pretty much have to marry in to learn the secret that the residents of Cambio Springs are keeping, but the town is dying, there are no jobs and families are being forced to move away from the only place that they will ever truly be able to be themselves. That freedom from hiding is what brought young widow Jena and her two sons back home to Cambio Springs and her
Jacob Proffitt
This book does okay as a paranormal romance, but has some problematic elements that I had a hard time with. I liked the worldbuilding well-enough. Cambio Springs is an interesting community with a secret to protect but a desperation for jobs and growth. The town is dying as there's no industry to speak of and that makes it hard for them to support the number of people who want, need even, to be there. That tension between secrecy and trying to open to new industry is at the heart of the story an ...more
Mitticus
It was ...Okay.

Cambio Springs is a little town of secret shapeshifters founded by seven families (wolves, cats, birds, reptiles).

Jena is a widow with 2 boys, she works at the family diner, and met a handsome cowboy a night in the bar.

Well, the outsinder turns out to be the new police chief, part of a plan to improve the dying town and build a spa.

Entertaiment, but not overly brilliant.

The boys are cute, the story about the town interesting. where lacks is the credibility in police work, he goes
Sunny
I just love the way Elizabeth Hunter develops her characters and her story. Like a red carpet, her story just unravels so nicely. This is not a fast-paced book, but I love the connection to Native American culture. The main characters are likable and the secondary ones are colorful. This series has lots of potential.
Douglas Meeks
This was an excellent novel with all the things that make great novels. The writing was excellent, the story was compelling, the characters were interesting and the mystery revolved around the romance (or maybe vice versa)

The story is multi-faceted in that you have to deal with the reasons behind Caleb’s reasons for coming to Cambio Springs, Jena’s reasons for avoiding him, a murder and a BIG secret.

The love/hate romance of Caleb and Jena is the core of the romantic part of the story but solving
Ian
Caleb moves to Cambio Springs to take on the job of Chief of Police. Unfortunately for him his arrival is followed very quickly by the murder of a town elder, the only elder who voted against a development project that would bring much needed jobs to town.

Oh...did I mention the town is inhabited by shifters and it seems the elder was murdered by a cat of some sort.

Shifting Dreams is a good idea which wasn't as well executed as I would have liked. The story was good in parts but there were mome
Ami
Well, hell, THIS is a nice surprise!

I was intrigued with this book after reading a review -- I honestly forgot where, but the reviewer basically said that she had read so many urban fantasy/paranormal romance over the years, and they became the same-old but this one was good for her. I didn't exactly know what 'pushed' me into it, it was one of those unexplainable things when it comes to reading. I know that the author had another series (with the first book actually offered for free) but this o
Rebecca
As many of you know I am a very big Elizabeth Hunter fan. Hunter's Elemental Mysteries series is one of my favorites. Shifting Dreams is the first book in an all new series and after reading this first book in the Cambio Springs series I am so excited about what is to come from this world!

Cambio Springs, where Shifting Dreams takes place, is almost a character itself. All the people that live in this special town are also the keeper of its secrets and vice versa. I truly loved all the back story
Whitney
DNF at 56%

The characters just didn't work for me. It all felt very immature for the ages of the characters. But mostly, I just didn't care about what was going on. The feel of the book lacked the depth that I've become accustomed to for Ms. Hunter's novels. Hoping this was a one-time fluke.
Vanessa
A nice mix of snark and sentiment

I loved the relationship between Caleb and Jena. It wasn't rushed and the love built cautiously. The supporting cast was just that, supporting and strong. There were no TSTL moments. There is a great banter between the main characters, and genuine sentiment. I really like Hunters' take on this shifter town and it's governing council. There is a nice mix of lore and mysticism. The book flows nicely, and the action is punctuated with quiet moments with family and f
Thenia
A very interesting new world, where shifters of different kinds live in secret in a small dessert town.

Jena, a young widowed mother of two young boys has been back home to Cambio Springs for a few years now after her husband's death, when the new chief of police arrives and starts making things complicated for her.

Caleb, who is leaving behind his old life in hopes of starting over in Cambio Springs, has his hands full when he has to solve a murder on his first week in his new life.

The two make a
Kara-karina
I just thought that if you mix Nora Roberts with Patricia Briggs you might get this particular book.

Elizabeth has a talent to take a simple contemporary plot, add a pinch of paranormal and still make us feel like the characters are a bunch of normal people we all can relate to.

I found this book adorable and refreshing.

Jena, a mother with two young kids comes back into her tiny town after her husband dies from a brain tumour. Not only she desperately needs her family's love and support, she is
Mara
Feb 25, 2014 Mara rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: pnr
Beautifully written. But boring to the point of tears, this is an Harlequins book with a slight paranormal twist. Unless you are into "classic" romance, where the couple is everything, this is not the story for you. Mystery and world building are very light side dishes, if they are at all.

If you get rid of the animal side, it's simply a western romance about the new sheriff in town. How they fell in love is up to you, they met, made out and he starts pursuit. Why? No idea, not once I felt he sto
Sunny
I liked it well enough. The ending was funny/sweet. It wasn't your normal dumb cookie cutter paranormal romance with millionaires, alphas, melodrama and giant battles all over the place. It takes place in a small town, in the desert outside the Palm Springs area, with no jobs, a rotten economy and an urgent need for air conditioners. The hero lives in an old rented trailer and he likes it just fine. Everybody is in everybody else's business the way it can be in small inbred towns. And the heroin ...more
So, I Read This Book Today
Shifting Dreams | [Elizabeth Hunter]

This was my first introduction to Elizabeth Hunter, and I am so happy that I found her through a book blogging friend of mine. I listened to the Audible edition, narrated by Liisa Ivary, and this is just another example of how a good narrator can take a good book and make it even better. Her smooth delivery led me through the book, introducing me to the characters and the world in a smooth and well-modulated way.

The story itself introduces us to Cambio Springs
Flirty Reader
Let me just say that I'm in love with Hunter's writing. I adored her Elemental series a few years ago, and I was super jumpy claps happy to be asked to review her Cambio Springs series. I was a little fangirly, I'll admit. Although I haven't read a shapeshifter book in the paranormal romance genre yet (Thanks to not loving the wolves from Twilight) I was all ready to give this a go with Hunter attached to the book.

So I'm going to review the two books as a whole. In Shifting Dreams we meet Jena
Amanda Says
Dec 23, 2014 Amanda Says rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of romance with a paranormal twist.
It appears to exist two types of shifter books:
1. The story about shifters, with a romance added to it.
or
2. A romance, with shifters added to it.

Shifting Dreams falls in the second category. Personally, I prefer the first category since it often means a deeper insight to the shifter world which may have different views on moral and politics. Of course, it also includes more of the actual shifters such as their origin, certain abilities, etc.. And, to be honest, if one took out the shifter aspe
Ms. Phoenix
I'm a huge Elizabeth Hunter fan and this book was fantastic. In a Long Way Home we see how Jenna moved back to Cambio Springs and it was heart wrenching. I also knew straight off the bat that I would love Jenna and I do. Therefore she gets her own shelf. 4 Stars for a awesome begeinning to a series.

Cambio Springs was founded by seven families and not a lot of people know about the town as it is special especially the water. Jenna has taken over the diner from her father after she moved back. Noo
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Caleb Gilbert was looking for change, and the quiet desert town seemed just the ticket for a more peaceful life. He never counted on
Mandy (I read Indie) Anderson
When I first read the novella, LONG RIDE HOME, I was so impressed. I know Hunter is an amazing writer after reading her other works: The Elemental Mysteries series & THE GENIUS AND THE MUSE just to name a couple. But what impressed me most was her ability to create a short story so heart wrenching and so captivating. Not many short stories can do that to me. But Hunter nailed it. Why am I talking about LONG RIDE HOME you might ask? Well it is the novella that leads us into SHIFTING DREAMS. A ...more
Jessica
Pretty excited for a new series by Elizabeth Hunter. I loved her Elemental Mysteries Series.

Again I don't do plot synopsis. You can read those in a million other places.

Here's what I liked. Character development, plot twists, mystery, fantasy, romance, world-building. Characters are kinda a big deal for me. If I can't relate to or like a main character in the book, I'm not going to like the book. I loved these characters! Oh, and before I forget, do yourself a favor and read the short story "Lon
Tiki
ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!
I've yet to read anything by Elizabeth Hunter that I didn't thoroughly enjoy and this ranks way up there! Superb writing as usual! Interesting story in a unique desert town of shifters, with the perfect blend of mystery, intrigue, romance and humor. I loved the main characters, Caleb & Jena - the dialogue, banter and interaction was flawless. The addition of her 2 young boys was a big plus (made me think a little of Violet and her kids in the Deadwood series) adding an
Michelle Cummings
I really enjoyed this story about a town of shifters in the desert. Loved learning their story, and liked the romance between Jena and Caleb. I also liked how Caleb evolved. Very interesting twist.
MB (What she read)
3.5 stars: Nice worldbuilding, interesting setting, and good characters. Dialogue could be improved a bit, his phrasing doesn't sound as "male" as it should. But its all good and I'm up for the next installment.
Sue
I feel terrible that I just didn't love this book :(. While I completely loved all The Elemental Mystery books (on my list of best reads ever) this story didn't do it for me. Perhaps my long history of veterinary work influenced my feelings about the whole animal thing, I'm not sure if it was only that... I really wanted to love it but for me it just missed the mark. I didn't particularly like any of the characters and it did not leave me wanting more. Again, like EH's other books, her writing i ...more
Gemma
Only 4 stars this time. I think that this is a series that needs a book or two to really get into the swing of things.

That said, I read this book in one afternoon, so it clearly has enough happening to make it a gripping read.

To sum up:

Cambio Springs is simpler than the Elemental world, and so is better if you're looking for something lighter perhaps.

I always get a little bit nervous when authors decide to take Native American mythology and make it central to their story-lines. Too much can be
Kimberly K
I've had this for months but kept putting it off for some reason. I really enjoyed it which isn't surprising since I loved the author's Elemental Mysteries series. Anyway, this was a great take on another paranormal sector--shape shifting. It was pretty inventive IMO, and u really like the main characters. I'll definitely read any future books she writes in the series.
Anne
I have this as part of the anthology Our Own Brand of Heroine.

My review at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks:

Yummy Man – Caleb Gilbert
Kick Ass Chicks – Jena Crowe

This is the second series by my friend, Elizabeth Hunter. I have loved everything I have ever read of her work, starting with her fanfiction. I am catching up now on her published works. Shifting Dreams was published in March 2013, just over a year ago. I’m writing this review now, for two reasons.
  • To Please A Lady (Seduction, #3)
  • If I Stay (Montgomery Manor, #1)
  • Chain of Illusions (Bringer and the Bane, #3)
  • The True Beast (Full Moon Mercy, #2)
  • To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #2)
  • Stone Song (Cold Iron, #3)
  • Grave Destinations (Grave, #2)
  • First Bite (Dark Wolf, #1)
  • Strange Case (Hyde, #3)
  • The Christmas He Loved Her (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake, #2)
  • Caught Up in the Touch (Falcon Football, #2)
  • One Night Stand (Little Black Dress)
  • Breaking His Rules (Feeling the Heat, #4)
  • Critical Intelligence (Immortal Ops, # 2)
  • A Rebel's Heart (Ashwood Falls, #3.5)
  • Broken Blade (Colbana Files, #3)
  • Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • Convincing the Cougar (Cascade Shifters, #0.5)
Elizabeth Hunter is a contemporary fantasy and romance author. She is a graduate of the University of Houston Honors College and a former English teacher.

She currently lives in Central California with her son, two very ineffective canine assistants, and a pitifully empty fish tank.

She is the author of the Elemental Mysteries and Elemental World series, the Irin Chronicles, the Cambio Springs Myste
More about Elizabeth Hunter...

Cambio Springs (2 books)
  • Desert Bound (Cambio Springs Book #2)
A Hidden Fire (Elemental Mysteries, #1) This Same Earth (Elemental Mysteries, #2) The Force of Wind (Elemental Mysteries, #3) A Fall of Water (Elemental Mysteries #4) The Scribe (Irin Chronicles, #1)

“She pinched his ear again.

‘Ow!’

‘Wake up, you idiot!’ Then she seemed to notice the very evident tent in his pajama pants. ‘And get that situation under control.’

‘Want to help me out with it?’ He slapped a hand over her mouth before she could curse at him. ‘Sorry. Sleeping. No filter.’ She bit his finger. ‘Ow! Stop hitting and biting me. Unless… you’re into that. I mean, it’s not usually my thing, but I could—’

‘You need to stop talking right now, before I kick you in the nuts and never speak to you again.’

He raised two hands to rub his face. ‘Man, you’re mean when I just wake up.”
2 likes
“You gonna tuck me in?"
She stifled the grin. Opportunistic, determined idiot. "You gonna behave?"
"Define 'behave.”