Start by marking “Best of All” as Want to Read:
Best of All

Best of All

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  605 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Bess Stovall is famous for being famous. "When it comes to Wemmicks, she's the best," they say. Who wouldn't want to join her Wonderful Wemmicks Club? The catch is this: only Wemmicks made of maple can join-the best wood from the best forest.

But Punchinello can't join since he is made of willow. "Willow is weak wood," says Bess. "No one wants to be a willow." And Punchinel
Published February 27th 2003 by Crossway Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Best of All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Best of All

Kater Cheek
Sep 05, 2011 Kater Cheek rated it really liked it
For many years, I never ate eggplant. Every time I had it in a restaurant, it was pithy and bitter and overly chewy to the point of making a dish inedible. I avoided dishes that even had eggplant as an ingredient. Too easy to ruin things with such a nasty vegetable. Then, one evening I had an eggplant dish that was not only not ruined, it was delicious. And here's the weird thing--eggplant was the main ingredient.*

Christian morality messages are like eggplants--in anything less than skillful han
Linda
Jan 23, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
Max Lucado teaches us in a simple way that God loves us and he made everyone special and unique. The lessons taught in the Lucado series through Punchinello and the people from Wemmick are very effective. It's a good way to teach children build self esteem, confidence in who they are, to have the ability to choose the right path, not afraid to say 'no' to peer pressure and to treat others always with respect. This book is not just for children, adults can learn from it too.
Pam
Dec 05, 2015 Pam rated it it was ok
This book is way too preachy, and the illustrations and characters are too infantile for my taste. Why adults and authors think that kids can't tell when a story is self-righteous is beyond me. I also wondered why the author chose to reinforce society's sexist stereotypes. I would not recommend this book to any one.
Jessica
Feb 12, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 12-religious
Max Lucado creates wonderful religious stories told through parables, teaching a great moral. Best of All teaches that everyone has a purpose and is made the way they are for a purpose. Sometimes people will judge you or make you feel not so important but God knows you and loves you, you are important no matter what they say.
Diane Wagner
Mar 05, 2015 Diane Wagner rated it it was amazing
I cannot help I am a dedicated Punchinello Fan.
There is nothing more to add.
Skruse08
Mar 31, 2014 Skruse08 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
Nowhere near as good as "You Are Special," but still a good and inspiring book.
Retno
Jun 17, 2016 Retno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adinda-read
Great book for children about being different and discrimination
Heidi
I think I prefer the first two of the Wemmicks books. I liked the illustrations more, and I like that the stories are quick and simple. The ones I have read lately seem to be too full of text. Still a little humor, but not much like in the first two. The main aspect of us being who we are and special and made with purpose by our Maker is present in each one, and Lucado does well in bringing out the different ways that others make us feel less than we are. But I still think he could have done it ...more
Liz B
Apr 19, 2011 Liz B rated it really liked it
This is a nice book that addresses discrimintion. Bess Stovall is very famous simply because she is made of maple and comes to town to have a club just for the maples. The town had not noticed differences between the woods until she came to town and then they all started to discriminate against each other, especially the willows because they are weak and bend. This all changed one day when Bess fell and was hanging from a bridge and only a wood that was flexible could help her.
Liane
Dec 01, 2008 Liane rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
Genre: Picture book, Wemmick series

Reading Level: Late early

Topics & Themes: Maker made you on purpose and you are special. Obsession and influence of famous people to be like them.

Curricular Use: Read aloud

Social: Religion: Maker is a symbol of God

Literary Elements: Moral story: Everyone is equal and it doesn't matter what you are made of. Onomatopoeia.

Text & Pictures: Interaction.
Olga
This book definitely has Christian undertones, but holds an excellent message for children about how they are made is no judge of character. I'm using it as a resource for one of my projects right now, and this one is definitely a stand out.
Rebekah
Mar 03, 2013 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of the Wemmick stories for children. They teach valuable lessons in interesting ways.

For younger kids, I found myself skipping over super detailed parts because it was hard to keep their interest.
Maddy
Jan 03, 2012 Maddy rated it it was amazing
Once again, Max Lucado shows his Extraordinary talent for writing a story that not only charms children of all ages but also weaves in the enchanting message demonstrated in this gorgeous book.
Corinne
Aug 10, 2009 Corinne rated it it was amazing
I love all of the Max Lucado books and the messages he portrays through his stories. I have now purchased almost every Max Lucado book because I enjoy them so much!
Connie
Dec 03, 2009 Connie rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this book. It teaches that no matter what we are made of or look like, we all have strengths and gifts to offer.
Chelle Sparks-Jordan
Aug 05, 2011 Chelle Sparks-Jordan rated it it was amazing
The reading level is a little high for my boys. But I was thrilled with the story-line! It was just what I and my boys needed!
Shelley
Jul 29, 2015 Shelley added it
Shelves: character, age-4
About not labeling others and being cliquish. It was a little wordy for my four year old.
Claudia
May 19, 2011 Claudia rated it it was amazing
We went Max Lucado book crazy a couple of weeks ago - I think this book was our favorite!
Ian Pirrie
Jul 15, 2007 Ian Pirrie rated it really liked it
Max Lucado is a great writer. Inspiring, and able to change lives.
Ashley
Feb 17, 2008 Ashley rated it it was amazing
This is a great way to share God's love to children.
Wanda
Jul 17, 2011 Wanda rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Children of all ages.
Shelves: children-s-books
Found in a bargain bin. Glad I bought it. Nice story.
Angie
May 15, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
God's love flows freely from the pages...
Gabrielle Link
I love this story that Max Lucado did.
April
Jul 21, 2009 April rated it liked it
Such a cute children's book!
Ambrea
Ambrea rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Meg Rose
Meg Rose rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Oana
Oana added it
Jun 19, 2016
Sarah Larson anderson
Sarah Larson anderson rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Gladies
Gladies marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
  • A Parable about the King
  • Tales of the Restoration (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)
  • Arin's Judgment (Adventures in Odyssey: Passages, #2)
  • The Parable Series: The Parable Of The Lily
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • Scout: The Secret of the Swamp
  • Shark Lady: True Adventures of Eugenie Clark
  • Book of Mormon Stories
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...