Start by marking “When God Whispers Your Name” as Want to Read:
When God Whispers Your Name

When God Whispers Your Name

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,708 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
Are you ready to hope again? Are you ready to let go of doubt and sorrow? Just listen carefully. God is whispering your name.

Somewhere, between the pages of this book and the pages of your heart, God is speaking. And He is calling you by name.

Maybe that's hard to believe. Maybe you just can't imagine that the One who made it all thinks of you that personally -- that He kee
Published June 4th 1999 by W Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about When God Whispers Your Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When God Whispers Your Name

Vianessa Peña
Apr 28, 2015 Vianessa Peña rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Tremendo libro! Primer libro que leo de Max Lucado y amé su estilo, sencillo, breve y conciso.
Me encanta la forma de narrar. Me siento parte. Siento que me escribió a mi, siento que me habla mi, y siento que susurra Vianessa en cada página...
Una joya!
Belindachaplin
Sep 26, 2012 Belindachaplin rated it it was amazing
I have read quite a lot of Max Lucado's books, and enjoyed every one, so when this one was available to review I decided to grab it. It is a collection of unrelated stories which weave together through the common theme that God cares for you, and wants to be closer to you and lead you, you just need to have faith in Him.

For example, the first story is of a man who used to be some kind of high-powered executive, but because he committed a big crime has been working as a humble janitor in a schoo
L8blmr
Oct 03, 2012 L8blmr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This man has the ability, bordering on amazing, to relate Biblical stories of long ago to present day and make them come to life. It's hard to relate to Moses,perhaps, but maybe you could relate to the former CEO of a huge company who killed a mugger and spent many years in hiding, working as a night janitor in the same building where he formerly presided at high-level meetings.

Not every piece of writing in this book struck me as brilliant, but there were some great moments to be sure. Portions
Brittany
This was my first Lucado book experience. I was intrigued by his Grace for the Moments devotional I am doing and picked up this book. Honestly I was sincerely disappointed! It was by no means revelatory, as what I look for in Christian non-fiction. I'm going to give Max the benefit of the doubt and hope not all his books are mashed up stories. I'd much rather read someones thoughts than a basic themed recollection of stories.

The stories weren't bad and didn't make for hard or boring reading, it
Amy
Feb 28, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok
I never thought I'd say this about anything Max Lucado wrote, but I found this book hard to read. There was no...pattern. It was like he took his musings and threw it into a book.
Ivan Perdomo
Nov 09, 2015 Ivan Perdomo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuando Dios susurra tu nombre, te hace sentir atrapado en una serie de incertidumbres en que preguntas porque a mi, y que estoy haciendo para que el decida llamarte a la mesa y compartir la vida eterna.

En este libro el Autor Max Lucado mediante un serie de anectodas de la vida diaria nos cuenta como por prejucios queremos definir cuando y cómo será la venida del Señor y si seremos caparaces de reconocerlo, y porque aveces creeemos porque que El va a a tener tiempo para cada uno de nosotros.

Muy b
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Very good, easy to read book that will build up your spirits. It's good-natured and positive, reaffirming the spirit of a Christian reader who needs help as they take the walk. You don't have to fear that you will get behind and have trouble picking this book up if you haven't read it in a while. It is written as self-contained chapters that can be picked up and read on a casual basis. Highly recommended for the Christian in need of uplifting, faith-affirming, and positive inspirational reading.
Heidi
Apr 16, 2010 Heidi rated it it was ok
I haven't read anything by Max Lucado in years, and I had a hard time getting into this. He has so many good things to say, and I think his teaching is solid, but his writing is a little choppy for me. I imagine he's a good speaker, because he gets to the point quickly and uses lots of illustrations. Just not my style of literature.
Ronald
Aug 19, 2009 Ronald rated it really liked it
Max always have a way of using humor with his story telling as they relate to the Word. I seem to retain his message better through this concept.
Christosopher Hughes
Mar 09, 2013 Christosopher Hughes rated it it was amazing
This was the first Lucado book I ever read. It is by far my favorite of his.
Lisa
Apr 04, 2011 Lisa rated it it was ok
Each chapter is an individual story. Was ok-didn't light me up.
Deborah Turnmire
Oct 12, 2011 Deborah Turnmire rated it it was amazing
"When God Whispers Your Name" By: Max Lucado - Book Review
We have all been there at one point in time or another losing faith or possibly losing our way. For some of us it becomes gradually harder to find your way back to keeping the faith & staying on the right track with our christianity. What if I told you there was a book by the widely known Max Lucado, that could easily inspire you to do better, & to understand that there is hope even in the darkest corner? Well I am going to tell
Alanna Love
Oct 05, 2011 Alanna Love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“There dwells inside you, deep within, a tiny whippoorwill. Listen. You will hear him sing. His aria mourns the dusk. His solo signals the dawn. It is the song of the whippoorwill. He will not be silent until the sun is seen… Other creatures of the soul are more quickly fed. More simply satisfied. We feed the lion who growls for power. We stroke the tiger who demands affection. We bridle the stallion who bucks for control. But what do we do with the whippoorwill who yearns for eternity? For tha ...more
Melissa Roach
Nov 14, 2011 Melissa Roach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Description
Do you find it hard to believe that the One who made everything keeps your name on His heart and on His lips? Did you realize that your name is written on the hand of God (Is. 49:16)? Perhaps you've never seen your name honored. And you can't remember when you heard it spoken with kindness. In this book, Lucado offers the inspiration to believe that God has already bought the ticket-with your name on it.

About the Author"
With over 100 million products in print, Max Lucado is one of Ame
Ashton
Oct 19, 2013 Ashton rated it it was ok
I really wasn't a huge fan of this book despite having many friends who really seem to enjoy Max Lucado's books. The chapters were short which made for quick and easy reading which some may have found as an asset but I found as a huge detriment to what he was trying to say. They were so short that you only barely skimmed a hand across the surface of a topic before jumping into another. This left me, and probably many reader, with their heads spinning while trying to figure out what the point was ...more
Crystal
Jun 13, 2011 Crystal rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian
OK, honestly, this book was awful. it's a collection of various writings of Lucado's, early writings I can only assume, because most of them are just the worst stuff of his I've ever read. There were one or two I really enjoyed and derived some encouragement from, especially the one that started off with the man who cares for an ancient European forest (go figure). But for the most part, this hodge podge assortment is immature and poorly written. With one or two of the articles, I was actually o ...more
Steven
Aug 31, 2014 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Max Lucado has a gifted way of taking an ordinary event in life and applying it to Scripture. This volume is engaging because it is a reminded that even in the every day events of life, God is whispering to us. Are we listening is the key factor here. The twenty-eight stories penned across the pages of this book beg the reader to slow down, savor the words and apply to life. This is a good reminder that we need to be listening to the whispers to help us on our journey through this world.
LINDA
Aug 02, 2015 LINDA rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WEARING THE ROBE OF REALISM

THIS BOOK "WHEN GOD WHISPERS YOUR NAME" IS SO PERSONABLE AND AUTHENTIC THAT I COULD FEEL THE HOLY SPIRIT IN EACH AND EVERY CHAPTER.... I NEVER WANTED TO PUT THIS CALLING FROM GOD DOWN AND WAS HOPING THE BOOK NEVER CAME TO AN END... I BOUGHT ON KINDLE BUT WILL NOW ORDER SEVERAL HARD COPIES, ONE FOR MYSELF AND OTHERS WHO NEED TO HEAR GOD WHISPER THEIR NAME....

ALSO FOUND OUT MORE REGARDING THIS BEAUTIFUL AND GIFTED CHRISTIAN BROTHER, MAX LUCADO... WHAT A BLESSING MAC, LIV
Alexa
Sep 30, 2015 Alexa rated it it was amazing
I love all Max Lucado 's books. Sometimes when cleaning, I put on his tapes. My favorite is Traveling Light. I like him because he truly identifies with you and doesn't rub your nose in your sin. So many preachers talk more about the enemy, I one time counted and the name Jesus was mentioned once. The enemy gets enough attention. That is why I like Max. He really deliver 's the True spirit of Christ.
The Book Man
Mar 15, 2015 The Book Man rated it it was amazing
~ “Someday you are going to retire; why not today? Not retire from your job, just retire from your attitude.”
~ “I have faith. It’s all I have. But it’s all I need. I have kept the faith.”
~ ”We have been bought. We cannot be sold. EVER.”
~ “When God says He will make all things new, he means it. You will have a new home, a new body, a new life, and you guessed it, a new name (Revelation.2:17).”

BE THERE WHEN GOD WHISPERS YOUR NAME.
CJ
Aug 01, 2015 CJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one might be a hard-to-find book on living a spiritual life, but if you find it anywhere and you long to find out what it is to live a better Christian life, get this book!

It was published in the nineties but don't let that sway you from thinking it is somewhat outdated.

This book is insightful yet grounded on truths. It is simple yet amazing. This book has taught me a lot like some things from the bible (that I did not know) but also tells you a lot about God that can help you live your li
Kim Ellis
Jul 21, 2015 Kim Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say? I love everything Max Lucado pens! His are easy reads with simple truth after simple truth about God's love and His grace forever extended to a hurt and woeful people! Max is great at reminding his readers that we are never too far from God's reach.
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
I love to read Max Lucado inspirational/devotional books. They help me make my way through the day along with my scripture reading. When I read this it is as if I could feel God as I meditate on what I have read. I don't know of any book that Max Lucado has written that did not seem to be inspired by God. I wanted to take a chapter from this book and share it with my blog readers. But instead you need to get a copy of this book for yourself. We sometimes need someone else to help us get inspired ...more
Linda Lyberger
Jun 01, 2014 Linda Lyberger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learning

Learning

this is the first book I saw years ago and finally purchased. dunno what took me so long but I am glad that I did and will purchase more from this author. I also had a dog named max.
Suze
Jun 08, 2015 Suze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHEN GOD WHISPERS YOUR NAME

I really enjoyed this book, I normally don't highlight when I read- this book I did. My favorite chapter is Maxims- Chapter 5.
Jenifer
Mar 27, 2014 Jenifer rated it liked it
I thought his Childrens book were better and made excellent points. I was kind of expecting more still he had some God things to explain and I appreciate that.
Mikki
Dec 06, 2015 Mikki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I read a chapter of the book everyday in my devotions, and it was the best choice I ever did. This book inspired me, and encouraged me in my Christian faith.
Aaron Smith
Nov 07, 2015 Aaron Smith rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Mr. Lucado is the best story teller this side of heaven. His musings and insights are thought provoking-leads to much soul searching.
S. Sloan
Oct 24, 2014 S. Sloan rated it it was amazing
To me the message in this book is to know how to listen for God's voice. It is a beautiful thing when God calls your name. As always Max Lucado does a beautiful job!
Abby
Sep 24, 2010 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christian Readers
Recommended to Abby by: abbymorel1106@gmail.com
Shelves: christian
(I may have read this before, and forgot: but it was well worth reading again.)

Written in the "having a coffee, sitting on the back porch watching the sun go down" style that is both warm and friendly and informative, Max Lucado manages to set you at ease, and sprinkle diamonds* around at the same time.

This is a very readable book that I would recommend to any Christian looking for a good read.

*When I say "Sprinkle Diamonds", I mean put out bits of wisdom that you may not need right at the momen
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • Laugh Again
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • Get Out of That Pit!: Straight Talk about God's Deliverance
  • Becoming a Woman of Excellence
  • The God Chasers: "My Soul Follows Hard After Thee"
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • In Pursuit of Peace: 21 Ways to Conquer Anxiety, Fear, and Discontentment
  • The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath
  • The Name
  • When God Doesn't Make Sense
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition, ...more
More about Max Lucado...

“Be a child again. Flirt. Giggle. Dip your cookies in your milk. Take a nap. Say you're sorry if you hurt someone. Chase a butterfly. Be a child again.” 283 likes
“The past does not have to be your prison. You have a voice in your destiny. You have a say in your life. You have a choice in the path you take.” 172 likes