When God Whispers Your Name

When God Whispers Your Name

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  4,611 ratings  ·  105 reviews
Are you ready to hope again? Are you ready to let go of doubt and sorrow? Just listen carefully. God is whispering your name.

Somewhere, between the pages of this book and the pages of your heart, God is speaking. And He is calling you by name.

Maybe that's hard to believe. Maybe you just can't imagine that the One who made it all thinks of you that personally -- that He kee...more
Published June 4th 1999 by W Publishing Group (first published June 23rd 1994)

To ask other readers questions about When God Whispers Your Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When God Whispers Your Name

Belindachaplin
I have read quite a lot of Max Lucado's books, and enjoyed every one, so when this one was available to review I decided to grab it. It is a collection of unrelated stories which weave together through the common theme that God cares for you, and wants to be closer to you and lead you, you just need to have faith in Him.

For example, the first story is of a man who used to be some kind of high-powered executive, but because he committed a big crime has been working as a humble janitor in a schoo...more
Brittany
This was my first Lucado book experience. I was intrigued by his Grace for the Moments devotional I am doing and picked up this book. Honestly I was sincerely disappointed! It was by no means revelatory, as what I look for in Christian non-fiction. I'm going to give Max the benefit of the doubt and hope not all his books are mashed up stories. I'd much rather read someones thoughts than a basic themed recollection of stories.

The stories weren't bad and didn't make for hard or boring reading, it...more
Amy
I never thought I'd say this about anything Max Lucado wrote, but I found this book hard to read. There was no...pattern. It was like he took his musings and threw it into a book.
L8blmr
This man has the ability, bordering on amazing, to relate Biblical stories of long ago to present day and make them come to life. It's hard to relate to Moses,perhaps, but maybe you could relate to the former CEO of a huge company who killed a mugger and spent many years in hiding, working as a night janitor in the same building where he formerly presided at high-level meetings.

Not every piece of writing in this book struck me as brilliant, but there were some great moments to be sure. Portions...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Very good, easy to read book that will build up your spirits. It's good-natured and positive, reaffirming the spirit of a Christian reader who needs help as they take the walk. You don't have to fear that you will get behind and have trouble picking this book up if you haven't read it in a while. It is written as self-contained chapters that can be picked up and read on a casual basis. Highly recommended for the Christian in need of uplifting, faith-affirming, and positive inspirational reading.
Heidi
I haven't read anything by Max Lucado in years, and I had a hard time getting into this. He has so many good things to say, and I think his teaching is solid, but his writing is a little choppy for me. I imagine he's a good speaker, because he gets to the point quickly and uses lots of illustrations. Just not my style of literature.
Ronald
Max always have a way of using humor with his story telling as they relate to the Word. I seem to retain his message better through this concept.
Christosopher Hughes
This was the first Lucado book I ever read. It is by far my favorite of his.
Lisa
Each chapter is an individual story. Was ok-didn't light me up.
Deborah Turnmire
"When God Whispers Your Name" By: Max Lucado - Book Review
We have all been there at one point in time or another losing faith or possibly losing our way. For some of us it becomes gradually harder to find your way back to keeping the faith & staying on the right track with our christianity. What if I told you there was a book by the widely known Max Lucado, that could easily inspire you to do better, & to understand that there is hope even in the darkest corner? Well I am going to tell...more
Alanna Love
“There dwells inside you, deep within, a tiny whippoorwill. Listen. You will hear him sing. His aria mourns the dusk. His solo signals the dawn. It is the song of the whippoorwill. He will not be silent until the sun is seen… Other creatures of the soul are more quickly fed. More simply satisfied. We feed the lion who growls for power. We stroke the tiger who demands affection. We bridle the stallion who bucks for control. But what do we do with the whippoorwill who yearns for eternity? For tha...more
Melissa Roach
Description
Do you find it hard to believe that the One who made everything keeps your name on His heart and on His lips? Did you realize that your name is written on the hand of God (Is. 49:16)? Perhaps you've never seen your name honored. And you can't remember when you heard it spoken with kindness. In this book, Lucado offers the inspiration to believe that God has already bought the ticket-with your name on it.

About the Author"
With over 100 million products in print, Max Lucado is one of Ame...more
Ashton
I really wasn't a huge fan of this book despite having many friends who really seem to enjoy Max Lucado's books. The chapters were short which made for quick and easy reading which some may have found as an asset but I found as a huge detriment to what he was trying to say. They were so short that you only barely skimmed a hand across the surface of a topic before jumping into another. This left me, and probably many reader, with their heads spinning while trying to figure out what the point was...more
Crystal
OK, honestly, this book was awful. it's a collection of various writings of Lucado's, early writings I can only assume, because most of them are just the worst stuff of his I've ever read. There were one or two I really enjoyed and derived some encouragement from, especially the one that started off with the man who cares for an ancient European forest (go figure). But for the most part, this hodge podge assortment is immature and poorly written. With one or two of the articles, I was actually o...more
Steven
Max Lucado has a gifted way of taking an ordinary event in life and applying it to Scripture. This volume is engaging because it is a reminded that even in the every day events of life, God is whispering to us. Are we listening is the key factor here. The twenty-eight stories penned across the pages of this book beg the reader to slow down, savor the words and apply to life. This is a good reminder that we need to be listening to the whispers to help us on our journey through this world.
Siv
Lucado tells a good story, wields an interesting analogy, and does it all with good heart and intention. But his writing is a little too "bow-tied" for me, too pretty to stomach for too long.

That said, this seems like a timely quote for the rampant evil of this week's headlines:

"We demand in this world what only the next world can give. No sickness. No suffering. No struggle. We stomp our feet adn shake our fists, forgetting it is only in heaven that such peace is offered."
CJ
This one might be a hard-to-find book on living a spiritual life, but if you find it anywhere and you long to find out what it is to live a better Christian life, get this book!

It was published in the nineties but don't let that sway you from thinking it is somewhat outdated.

This book is insightful yet grounded on truths. It is simple yet amazing. This book has taught me a lot like some things from the bible (that I did not know) but also tells you a lot about God that can help you live your li...more
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
I love to read Max Lucado inspirational/devotional books. They help me make my way through the day along with my scripture reading. When I read this it is as if I could feel God as I meditate on what I have read. I don't know of any book that Max Lucado has written that did not seem to be inspired by God. I wanted to take a chapter from this book and share it with my blog readers. But instead you need to get a copy of this book for yourself. We sometimes need someone else to help us get inspired...more
Linda Lyberger
Learning

Learning

this is the first book I saw years ago and finally purchased. dunno what took me so long but I am glad that I did and will purchase more from this author. I also had a dog named max.
Jenifer
I thought his Childrens book were better and made excellent points. I was kind of expecting more still he had some God things to explain and I appreciate that.
Abby
Sep 24, 2010 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian Readers
Recommended to Abby by: abbymorel1106@gmail.com
Shelves: christian
(I may have read this before, and forgot: but it was well worth reading again.)

Written in the "having a coffee, sitting on the back porch watching the sun go down" style that is both warm and friendly and informative, Max Lucado manages to set you at ease, and sprinkle diamonds* around at the same time.

This is a very readable book that I would recommend to any Christian looking for a good read.

*When I say "Sprinkle Diamonds", I mean put out bits of wisdom that you may not need right at the momen...more
Ken Bickley
All of Max's devotional books are special. This one is no exception. Read it, enjoy, and be up-lifted.
Although the incohesiveness of this book bothered me (the chapters seemed to be sort of randomly thrown together), the text had an overall positive tone. Lucado shared a lot of inspiring stories and, as usual, relayed the tales of Bible characters with a modern twist to help 21st century readers relate to the struggles of the people of antiquity. I found the last part of the book to be the best, actually, and I was glad I stuck around until the end.
Delynda
Highly recommend this devotion. Max Lucado at his absolute best.
Adam Shields
Short review: I like Lucado's stories and method of helping us look at the story of scripture through new eyes. The basic message that God loves us personally is good. The idea that we are always longing for God in this life is also good. I am not a fan of his views about how we always are striving after heaven and the next life. But while that is a major component of this book, it is not really that big of a deal once you get to the ramifications of the book.

A longer review is on my blog at htt...more
Laurie Larsen
This devotional book was recommended to me by a woman in my summer Bible study. It's made up of short chapters, or essays/sermons where author Max Lucado starts out with an event, usually from everyday life, and relates it to a lesson from the Bible or faith in general. Many of them were very memorable and I enjoyed very much. They'll be great to pull out the next time I'm in charge of a devotion, etc. The messages were uplifting, easily readable and inspirational. Great "last 15 minutes before...more
Patricia Urbaniak
Beautiful and very inspiring.
Abner Huertas
Definitivamente la persona que me recomendó este libro tuvo una visión de lo que estaba buscando. Dios puede hablarte de maneras diferentes, el es super creativo!!! ?" no crees??

Desde hablarte por medio de una persona, observar la naturaleza, leer un libro o inclusive al ver un objeto... Dios puede susurrar tu nombre... mi pregunta es... reconoces su voz? sino la reconoces es porque no hablas con él... así que empieza a hablarle y por sobre todo a escuchar.
Nori
primero que nada no tenia ni idea de que trataba el libro. solo me llamo la atencion el titulo y como me gusta mucho los devocionales de max lucado pues lo compre. para mi sorpresa el libro esta dividido en tres partes. cada capitulo es una historia, enseñanza, anecdota diferente que en parte puede funcionar como un devocional tambien,por eso tome mi tiempo en leerlo. me gusto mucho se los recomiendo.
Katy Budget Books
Darlene says: This book is utterly inspiring. He addresses a number of life's challenges in a way that really made me want to go out in the world and make a difference. Reading this book underscores the sense of God being a really vital part of everyday, seemingly mundane matters of life in a way that I hadn't thought of in a while, and that I hope to never forget again.
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living It Is Another.
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • Believing God
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer is Right Under Your Nose
  • God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?
  • Reaching for the Invisible God: What Can We Expect to Find?
  • Secrets of the Vine: Breaking Through to Abundance
  • The Body
  • Becoming a Contagious Christian
  • Voices of the Faithful
Max Lucado has touched millions with his signature storytelling writing style. Awards and accolades follow Max with each book he writes. Max is the first author to win the Gold Medallion Christian Book of the Year three times—1999 for Just Like Jesus, 1997 for In the Grip of Grace and 1995 for When God Whispers Your Name. In 2005, Reader’s Digest dubbed him “America’s Best Preacher.” In addition,...more
More about Max Lucado...
You Are Special He Chose the Nails Facing Your Giants In the Grip of Grace: You Can't Fall Beyond His Love Fearless: Imagine Your Life Without Fear

“Be a child again. Flirt. Giggle. Dip your cookies in your milk. Take a nap. Say you're sorry if you hurt someone. Chase a butterfly. Be a child again.” 254 likes
“The past does not have to be your prison. You have a voice in your destiny. You have a say in your life. You have a choice in the path you take.” 153 likes