Start by marking “Out of Play” as Want to Read:
Out of Play

Out of Play

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,916 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews

Rock star drummer Bishop Riley just needs a few months to relax and detox before his band's next tour. But the last place he expected to do it is in Seldon, Alaska. And the last person he wants to do it with is Penny Jones.

Fiery, headstrong Penny has zero in common with the cocky, too-hot-for-his-own-good Bishop, and she'd like to keep it that way. But the more Bishop gets

Published August 6th 2013 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about Out of Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Play

Wendy Higgins
(Note - this is YA from Entangled Teen)

Yay, yay, YAY!!! *runs around dancing* I love this book!!! These are two of my critique partners and I bugged them to let me start reading it before they were finished writing, and I swear, I stalked them after every chapter for more! "Hurry, hurry!" It's soooo good. Bishop and Penny rock.

Oh, and don't let the "sweetness and softness" of this cover fool you - this is one of those instances when I really hope people don't judge the book by its cover. I was
Nyrae Dawn
Jul 31, 2013 Nyrae Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book was so much fun to write! I got to incorporate many of the things I LOVE about writing and reading YA books.
Rose
Initial reaction: Not one of the better contemporary tough subject books in its genre that I've picked up. Honestly I found it rather...boring, and while it had several parts in the right place, I just couldn't get into it. I'm going to look through it again to see if my mind changes, but honestly - I wish it could've been better than what it was.

Full review:

Jolene Perry and Nyrae Dawn's "Out of Play" should've been a book that I loved. It revolves around sports, it has a female character that b
BookLover
Apr 04, 2016 BookLover rated it really liked it
ARC requested through Netgalley, and kindly provided by Entangled Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

Very satisfying story of opposites attract. I really like Nyrae Dawn’s writing style so I was excited to read this story, co-written with Jolene Perry.

The setting — Alaska, a rock star trying to get a drug problem he won’t acknowledge under control and a hockey playing girl trying to find her way in life despite everyone else thinking they know what’s best for her.

I’ll start off by sayi
Nashali Torres
Mar 24, 2016 Nashali Torres rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, enero-2016
Es más como un 3.9 o un 4 (aún no me decido. Creo que nunca lo haré.)

Out of Play me ha gustado. Fue una lectura fresca, agradable y me entretuve mucho con ella. Los personajes me han parecido geniales, con mucha personalidad y diferentes. Bishop fue un personaje muy interesante de leer y esta fue la primera razón por la que decidí leer este libro. Este chico tiene problemas con las drogas y ansiedad. Me gustó mucho su evolución como persona.
Sobre Penny no tengo que comentar mucho. Me ha parecid
Kimi
Aug 05, 2013 Kimi rated it it was amazing
Take 2 incredible authors, put them together and what happens? Magic. I loved this book so much. Rock star and hockey romances are among my favorite stories and this one has both.

The characters and story were strong and relatable. I both laughed and teared up. I heard it was a real thing to do BUT I would never want to break my nose around Penny ;)

I highly recommend this book and will be posting links to it everywhere I can once it is live.

Savannah (Books With Bite)
Sep 18, 2013 Savannah (Books With Bite) rated it it was amazing
Review: Out Of Play I love girl who have snarky attitude and smart words. I adore girls who re-define who they are. This story is exquisite.

Plot: You have this girl, Penny who plays a tough game both on and off the field of ice hockey. She doesn’t let anyone be soft on her. Then Riley comes along. A smart kid who has geared off the path into hard times. Putting this two together is a smart choice for an excellent read. I can’t begin to tell you how much I enjoyed reading it. The plot flowed well
Dirty Girl Books
Aug 08, 2013 Dirty Girl Books rated it really liked it
Warning you will cry in this book, if for some reason you don't you are heartless. This book had my two favorite things in it, rockstar bad boy and Hockey. Yes I know I am obsessed with Hockey.

I fell in love with Gary and Troy. Yes you heard me right I know that they are not the main characters in the book, but I think they are amazing. Now onto the main characters.

Lucky Penny, she is damn determined to prove everyone wrong and to show everyone that she can do whatever the hell she wants. She is
Sharon
Aug 03, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Review: 4 out of 5 stars

Out of Play by Jolene Perry and Nyrae Dawn was kindly provided to me by Entangled Teen and kept me riveted right from the very first page with its exciting premise and amazing characters.

Bishop Riley is the drummer for a famous award winning band and has been sent to Seldon, Alaska after nearly overdosing to think and sort out his priorities. Bishop was a broody character who was a bit of a mystery, I wanted to know more about him, his anxiety and addiction and what had
Kim
“He’s got history, you know? But those people are the best kind because they already know what’s out there and are ready to figure out what they really want. Do you know what you really want?”

I was drawn to this book for two main reasons: Penny and Bishop. Penny sounded like such a kick-ass girl in the description. I have what just might be an unhealthy obsession with the troubled “bad boy” actor/musician/fighter that is so common in YA and NA lit these days. Additionally, as I may have mentio
Yvette Cervera
Aug 05, 2013 Yvette Cervera rated it really liked it
Out of Play isn’t the typical rock star romance, following a band on tour and some lucky girl who tames the untamable playboy musician. This is a Young Adult novel co-written by Jolene Perry and Nyrae Dawn, so aside from drug use, it’s fairly tame for a story with a rock star protagonist. At its core, Out of Play is about the relationship between two teenagers on the brink of major life changes who come into each other’s lives when they most need someone. Overall, Out of Play is a sweet read wit ...more
Audrey Harte
Jul 20, 2015 Audrey Harte rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I absolutely loved this book! It's rare for me to have much time to read these days, but when I pick up a book that sucks me in, I make time! I thought it was well-written and I loved the main characters: the beautiful, balsy, hockey-playing Penny and the moody, gorgeous, incredibly talented drummer Bishop, but the supporting characters were great as well. I can easily see this being made into a movie and can't wait until it is!
Kara
Jul 25, 2013 Kara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My blog received and ARC of this book for an honest review

This book had to be good - Nyrae Dawn & Jolene Perry?!
Well it didn't disappoint plus the female mc plays hockey! and you know I love my hockey books!

While the mc's were great - my favorite characters were Gramps and Gary. These two authors made them real. I pictured that would just be how a grandpa & sober assistant would act.

It is a worthy read and entertained me well.
Doris
Mar 27, 2016 Doris rated it it was amazing
Where do you send a pill head drummer for a band that has Grammies under their belt and he needs to get his stuff together? Alaska?! This seems like a great idea for everyone but Bishop. So yeah, maybe he did almost die by downing too many pills this last time and yeah, maybe he has been letting his band down by not showing up to places he was supposed to be…but Alaska? His mom, who he loves very much, and his manager have come up with the idea for Bishop to take a couple of months off with Gary ...more
~Dawn~TUG
Aug 18, 2013 ~Dawn~TUG rated it really liked it
I was anxiously awaiting this book after meeting both authors at SFINE in San Francisco. I love both of their work and together they slay..Dizzy! Add in a tomboy who plays hockey and a rockstar drummer = me reading and loving!
Vani
Jun 23, 2015 Vani rated it really liked it
Como todo libro de Nyrae, PERFECTIRIJILLO <3.
Sandra
No es un secreto que me encanta cómo escribe Nyrae Dawn y la mayoría de sus libros me fascinan. Así que Out of play no iba a ser menos.

Out of Play se ha convertido inmediatamente en uno de mis libros favoritos. Creo que ha sido por los personajes, por Penny y por Bishop. Penny no es la típica protagonista, sino que es dura, fuerte, sabe lo que quiere en su futuro y no va a dejar que otras personas tomen decisiones sobre ello. Es verdad que es un poco cliché lo de estar-enamorada-de-tu-mejor-ami
Michelle (Much Loved Books)
When I saw Out of Play on netgalley I knew I had to request it, and kept my fingers and toes crossed that I got accepted. When I received an email saying I had been accepted to read it I was beyond excited
The very first chapter is intense, Bishop goes home after a concert and is trying to find peace, quietness, escape from the noise and attention. His chosen form of escape is pills and alcohol, until he wakes up in hospital and discovers he could have died. With the shocking discovery comes the
Cassie Mae
Aug 01, 2013 Cassie Mae rated it it was amazing
Mmmkay... this book? Totes awesomazing! Hot and sexy, but also kinda cute and innocent too. It pretty much goes through the spectrum of butterfly emotions. *sings Colbie Caillat's Bubbly*

Let's start with Penny, who is my favorite of Jolene's girls ever! Okay, okay, maybe I'm lying because I've loved all her girls, but this chicka, she'll kick your butt and look good doing it. She hangs with the boys, knows how to take a good hit, and delivers it right back. She's the girl I wish I was in high sc
Alyssa
Aug 04, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Out of Play by Nyrae Dawn and Jolene Perry
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Publication Date: August 6, 2013
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from the publisher (for the tour)

Summary (from Goodreads):

Rock star drummer Bishop Riley doesn't have a drug problem. Celebrities—especially ones suffering from anxiety—just need a little help taking the edge off sometimes. After downing a few too many pills, Bishop wakes up in the hospital facing an intervention. If he want
Jessica Louise
Jul 29, 2013 Jessica Louise rated it it was amazing
Bishop Riley knows all too well that being the drummer of a successful rock band isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The pressures are crashing down on him and he has formed a pill habit to cope. After waking up in hospital from a near overdose, Bishop is faced with an intervention. Either be shipped off to Alaska to detox out of the public eye, or be kicked out of the band. Bishop is in denial about having a problem. He just needs a pill occasionally to take the edge off. If he wanted to stop he c ...more
Kim
Aug 08, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed Nyrae's solo efforts so far, and Out of Play was no different. It takes place primarily in Alaska after the story is set up, so for anyone expecting to read about a rockstar on the road meeting a girl in the audience/ backstage etc who catches his eye, this book is not that type of story.

After nearly dying, Bishop is sent to Alaska to get his act together and off pills unless he wants to be kicked out of his band. Penny's family owns the cabins where he and his "babysitter"
Samantha
Aug 06, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Bishop Riley is a drummer, and not just any drummer at that. He’s the drummer for a celebrity band…and the drummer who may have a pill addiction. He doesn’t think it’s an addiction though, so when his parents ship him off to Alaska to get clean after an accidental overdose, he’s more than a little mad. Female hockey player Penny Jones, resident of Alaska, is a little mad too. Her family is pushing her to accept a hockey scholarship away from Alaska, but Alaska is exactly where she wants to be, e ...more
Bella
Jul 25, 2013 Bella rated it really liked it
I was SO FREAKING EXCITED to get an ARC from a book by Nyrae Dawn and Jolene Perry. Love them so hard!!

Out of Play is a book about self discovery. I loved Bishop - hot, intense, tortured drummer - what's not to love?? Well, I guess there is one thing. Um, Bishop has a problem with pills. So he's far from perfect. His band manager and mom send him to Alaska to get himself together.

Penny is the female lead. I want to be friends with her!! She is very adventurous. She plays hockey on the guys team
Andrea
Aug 06, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
So, I've read almost all of Nyrae Dawn's books, and have truly enjoyed them. She's one of the authors I always make time for. However, this is the first of Jolene Perry's books I've read (though I own several) and I have to say that I really enjoy her writing as well. Out of Play also happens to be the first book I've read written by more than one author. This is what really had me curious. The story blended together so well that I would have never realized otherwise.

Well, I say it blended, but
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
Bishop, a drug addict, almost overdosed...

Penny has a lot going on...

As well as looking after her grandfather who has Alzheimer's, her mums hardly around and she's crushing on her best friend...

They meet in Alaska where Bishop is trying to recover...

My thoughts

Being in a band, Bishop is a drug addict and we find this out from the very beginning. I was actually glad with the way things went in this book.

"It's hard when so many people expect so much."

The relationship between Bishop and Penny is
Makii
Aug 02, 2015 Makii rated it it was amazing
" Cierro los ojos por un momento, tratando de aclarar mis ideas, al tiempo que deslizo los dedos por su pelo.
—Me encanta la forma en que me afectas la cabeza.
—Me encanta la forma en que tú afectas la mía. —Me observa. Intensamente. Como lo hace siempre—. Lo sabes, ¿verdad?

Bishop, Bishop, Bishop

Cada libro de Nyrae es un pequeño tesoro de mi coleccion! Imposible no amarlos!!!
Jeri's Book Attic
Mar 14, 2016 Jeri's Book Attic rated it really liked it

This book was a surprise to me. I went into it expecting a light teenage romance - but I got a real good developed story that felt real. If the Blurbs sounds interesting to you - I would encourage you to read it.

For more Reviews
subscribe my Blog : http://jeri-ryan.wix.com/jerisbookattic
like my FB Page : https://www.facebook.com/JerisBookAttic
Silvia Ruiz
Aug 09, 2015 Silvia Ruiz rated it it was ok
sencillamente no creí en la historia de amor de estos dos personajes sencillamente no me gustaron
Karen
Jul 05, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book.

Playful, a little sexy but with a lot of heartfelt emotions.

This may also be one of the few cases where the heroine (Penny) totally stands on her own. I absolutely love the way she was written. And of course we all know how well Nyrae Dawn writes broken boys & Bishop was no exception.

Despite all their issues I felt this was a very realistic, healthy romance because as much as they helped each other, it was about helping themselves first.

Good stuff. I read it in 5
  • All the Right Moves
  • Stardom (Fusion, #3)
  • The Sixteenth Need (Partlow, #1)
  • Strong Enough (Strong, #1)
  • By Degrees
  • Under the Dusty Sky (Holloway Farms, #1)
  • Are You Mine?
  • Rock Me Slowly (Buried Alive Rockers, #1)
  • Second Rate Chances
  • Our Song
  • Dear Cassie (Pretty Amy, #2)
  • The Sound
  • Two Roads
  • NOT A BOOK: For the Summer
  • Game. Set. Match. (Outer Banks Tennis Academy, #1)
  • Blurred (Kissed by Death, #2)
  • The Liberator (Dante Walker, #2)
  • 3 Sides to a Circle
I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.

More about Nyrae Dawn...