The Hermetic Millennia

The Hermetic Millennia (Count to the Eschaton Sequence #2)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Continuing from Count to a Trillion, Menelaus Illation Montrose—Texas gunslinger, idealist, and posthuman genius—has gone into cryo-suspension following the discovery that, in 8,000 years, a powerful alien intelligence will reach Earth to assess humanity’s value as slaves. Montrose intends to be alive to meet that threat, but he is awakened repeatedly throughout the centur...more
Published November 19th 2013 by Tor Books (first published December 24th 2012)

Jeff Miller
This is book two in the "Count to the Eschaton" series.

The start of it is rather jarring in connection to the first book "Count to a Trillion" where the duel between Menelaus Montrose and "Darkie" ends in a bit of cliffhanger and that this book picks up thousands of years in the future. Montrose has been frozen and awakes periodically during the various millennia in preparation to the face off with the monument makers and the return of his wife.

This book reminds me to some extent of Olaf Stapled...more
Terence
Nov 15, 2013 Terence rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Space opera buffs, hard SF fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Mary Catelli
The next book in the series, after Count To A Trillion. Spoilers ahead for Count To A Trillion.

Menelaus rouses out of cryogenic slumber to discover that his beloved Rania 's interstellar venture to the antimatter star will not continue with her return to Earth. Instead, she is going onward -- to search out the aliens that will enslave them unless they prove they are capable of maintaining a civilization that can deal with traveling to another galactic cluster and back. (All of which was made cle...more
Douglas Summers-Stay
Anyone who even attempts to write far future SF gets some points. Wright has imagined a half dozen deep future civilizations, each with its own morphology and morality, in Last and First Men style. The trouble I had was that nearly all of the book is the main character talking to people, and they describe their distant past interactions with him, not realizing who he is (all these folks have just been thawed from cryogenic sleep.) I had the sneaking suspicion the whole thing was meant to be a th...more
David Leger
This was an interesting novel. It covers a vast sweep of time. Without giving things away, while it was at times a difficult read (there is a lot to take in), it covered some interesting concepts on the future of humanity, machine intelligence, absolute power corrupting absolutely, obsession. I wouldn't recommend this as a casual read, but I did enjoy it, and the ending was a surprise which, while leaving some questions unanswered, was thought provoking.
Karina
Just finished, and ran out to get the next in series, only to discover my library doesn't have it! I had then attempted to get an interlibrary loan, but instead the person who helped me at the library said, he would fill out a "suggestion" slip for me so our library might acquire the book, put it on hold for me and notify me when they get it in. (Apparently the third one is a recent release, so that interlibrary loan is likely to get declined.)

The reason I wanted to get the next one right away,...more
Tim
Fun romp through future history. I still struggle with the hero's drawl...it's a bit much at times. The way the story is told, through a series of interrogations, is tough to get into at first, but is effective at covering 8000 years in sufficient depth.
Manuel
Better than the first, in that did wasn't drowning under the weight of it's own verbosity and nonsensical-random-math-terms-technobabble. Events actually happened in the book, rather than it just being a long series of infodumps punctuated by two pistol duels.

It lacks resolution and ends in a cliffhanger, which some may find annoying, but it told an interesting story. It still suffered from the same problems with pacing and dialogue and narrative that the previous one did, but to a less degree....more
Jay
If Count to a Trillion was Flash Gordon, The Hermetic Millennia is Planet of the Apes.
Johan Haneveld
I think John C. Wright is one of the most creative SF authors of this millennium, so far. Stephen Baxter is more scientifically plausible, I guess, but doesn't have as many idea's per page, nor does he have the romance and hope that Wright shows in his stories. He also plays around with mythology and the way events get distorted into legends, and legends inspire events, a theme I always like to engage with myself.
Wright is diatrametically opposed to the SF that clings to earthbound and somber vi...more
Suzannah
Second book in Wright's ongoing "Count to the Eschaton" sequence, set in the 11th millenium AD. Superintelligent gunslinging mathematician Menelaus Montrose put himself into cryogenic suspension to weather the millenia which must pass before 1. he can finally face and defeat his nemesis, Ximen Del Azarchel, who lairs on the dark side of the Moon which he has marked with an eternal challenge; 2. the arrival of the authorities from the Hyades Cluster, an interstellar empire which claims Earth as i...more
Garry Geer
Better than the first. He takes elements from Vance, Wolfe, Smith, et al, making them his own. It starts off a little slow, but the narrative structure works, looking back over the last 9000 years. Wright strives to demonstrate how a post-human intelligence would function. He hits the mark most of the time, but still falls prey to Godel..(even while denying him)

Fun book.
Michael Hirsch
That was weird. Maybe it would have made more sense if I'd read the first book, but there were large chunks that I never really understood.

That said, it was also quite entertaining. Wright has a real way with looking a few thousand years into the future and imagining what could happen. most of the book takes place about 8,000 years from now when the super-genius who died the world for a while wakes up and doesn't really like what is going on.

I found it scientifically improbable and unlikely, but...more
Josh
This is an in-between book, make no mistake. It's only part of the story arc, and so there is no resolution for the hero at the end. What's here, though, is highly entertaining-- a framing story set 8,000 years from now delving into the history of the various artificial races of man and their interaction with a "shadowy" figure known as the Judge of Ages who appears from time to time to correct history. It reminded me of Last and First Men, but with characters.
GeekLady
I'm rather conflicted about this one. While I enjoyed the book, and it was interesting to take that look at all the different varieties of humanity manipulated over the millennia, it was also very frustrating because the central conflict of the present went right to the edge of the precipice, looked over the edge, and the book was over and I have to wait at least a year (and for the next book) to see what happened in THIS book.
Bruce
This is the second book of FIVE according to one website.

If I had known this, I wouldn't have read this until more, maybe all of them, had been published.

If you like Wright you will like this, and vice versa. It has all his typical characteristics, which you will see enumerated in other reviews.

If you want to determine whether you like Wright, I suggest Null-A Continuum, which is a single standalone book.
Eddie Novak
This novel is a perfect author-to-reader text-to-mind-interface synchronization device. That is if a requiem for the lost "Space Ages" of humanity is the desired input. The output being joy and awe at the wonders presented by the author. Being the histories of humanity were certain ideas to be taken seriously, the author offers some sobering results in the milieu of pulp action and philosophical pondering.
Paulo Contopoulos
The development is fantastic, the characters that appear as they are interviewed and the millenia that passed are laid bare are captivating. The main character, Doctor Iolaus Montrose, aka, the Judge of Ages, while being a superintelligent being, has a very distinct texan drawl that never ceases to amuse.

I am still trying to figure the ending. Alas, I will have to wait until the next book.
David Brann
Not quite as good as Count To A Trillion, but still quite good. This guy is nothing if not full of mind-bending ideas about the future. And thanks to the 8,000-year spread of this timeline, we actually get 6-7 different futures sketched out. Pretty cool, though the cliffhanger ending (like the first one in the series) is a tad annoying.
Jeremy Hallum
Far Future fiction. This book takes some deep reading to really understand. I kept up on the first pass all the way to the end, then I had to re-read the ending again to make sure I understand what just happened. Some very interesting ideas here, though I felt like the main character really didn't develop or go anywhere.
Mike
This is a strange book. I struggled to get through it, but I enjoyed it. Although it was one story, it could have been a fix up of a number short stories, however I don't believe it is. The other thing about it is that it just ends, you need to read the third book to find out how it ends. Only a year to wait!!
Joel
While very well written, this book is really low on action and high on conversation - it is sort of an oral history of a hypothetical future. Not an action packed edge of your seat thriller like Counting to a Trillion.
Sam
I really like John C. Wright, but this book was painful to read.
Joel
I love this book, the author, and the ongoing series.
Charles
Can't wait for the next installment. It was very good.
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Hugo Monteiro
Hugo Monteiro marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
John C. Wright (John Charles Justin Wright, born 1961) is an American author of science fiction and fantasy novels. A Nebula award finalist (for the fantasy novel Orphans of Chaos), he was called "this fledgling century's most important new SF talent" by Publishers Weekly (after publication of his debut novel, The Golden Age).
More about John C. Wright...
The Golden Age (Golden Age #1) Orphans of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #1) The Phoenix Exultant (Golden Age, #2) Fugitives of Chaos (Chronicles of Chaos, #2) The Golden Transcendence (Golden Age, #3)

“A wasteland is a confrontation to a man of stature: an empty place, a gauntlet thrown down in challenge and defiance. A place like that cries out to be conquered and civilised.” 2 likes