Start by marking “Rising Sun, Falling Shadow” as Want to Read:
Rising Sun, Falling Shadow

Rising Sun, Falling Shadow (Adler Family #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Return to World War II Shanghai in Dan Kalla's thrilling historical novel Rising Sun, Falling Shadow, the sequel to The Far Side of the Sky

It’s 1943 and the Japanese juggernaut has swallowedShanghai and the rest of eastern China, snaring droves of American and British along with thousands of “stateless” German Jewish refugees. Despite the hostile environs, newlyweds Dr. Fr
Published September 24th 2013 by Forge Books (first published September 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rising Sun, Falling Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising Sun, Falling Shadow

Jane
This review was first published by the Historical Novel Society. I received a free copy of the book.

This novel is the sequel to The Far Side of the Sky and is set in Shanghai in 1943. Things are looking bad for the Jews who have taken refuge in Shanghai; the Japanese occupying forces have interned the British and Americans and, urged on by their Nazi allies, have forced the Jews into what is effectively a ghetto. Dr. Franz Adler and his Eurasian wife, Sunny, cope with an escaped internee, the Ch
Kathy
Rising Sun, Falling Shadow, by Daniel Kalla, is a sequel to The Far Side of the Sky. The setting is 1943 in occupied Shanghai during World War II. Thousands of German Jews escaped to China during the war, and the story opens with the Japanese relocating the Jewish refugees into the "Shanghai Ghetto."

The story revolves around two main characters: Dr. Franz Adler and his Eurasian wife Sunny. Together the Alders manage to operate a small hospital against all odds for the Jewish refugees. The Alder
Sandra Hinds
This is what a book should be. Entertaining, while teaching you something at the same time. Excellent continuation of the story started in The Far Side of the Sky. I simply can't wait to read the final installment of the trilogy. I love Daniel Kalla's writing style and I was totally immersed in the story. AWESOME
Toni Osborne
This wonderful story continues the intrigue, the medical drama and the love stories that began with “The Far Side of the Sky”. Although this sequel can be read on its own I strongly suggest reading the first to connect with the characters and understanding them better while each is coping with a shattering loss.

During the Second World War Shanghai was one of the last havens for Jewish refugees, after the Japanese occupation the Jewish population was forced into the squalid ghetto of Hongkew. Lif
Sara
I stayed up very late last night reading this from front to end. This book is a follow up to his last book and continues the story of a Jewish family in Shanghai during the war. Nonetheless it is pretty light reading, but with such an interesting stage for the story. I'm imagining that he'll follow this up with another book or two and it will be interesting to see where he goes with this, and how the characters end up. More and more books are coming out about the Jews in Shanghai, and this is a ...more
Jessica
Daniel Kalla’s RISING SUN, FALLING SHADOW is the highly anticipated sequel to THE FAR SIDE OF THE SKY. If you’re worried about spoilers, you won’t find any major ones preventing you from enjoying RISING SUN. Kalla provides enough back-story and allows a reader to delve right in without being lost.

The year is 1943 and bowing to Nazi pressure, the Japanese force thousands of Jewish refugees in Shanghai to relocate. Newlyweds Franz and Sunny Adler endure the move to the ghetto and continue to opera
Heather Simmons
A great sequel.

In many cases, the books following the first in a series, fall short of the mark. This story continues the intense and riveting tale of love, loss, and hope in World War II Shanghai. I enjoy Kallas historical references and the characters that give the Shanghai story such depth. I look forward to the final book in this series so I can learn of the fates of these characters I have grown to love.
Kathryn
The sequel to the Far Side of the Sky, and continues the story of Franz and Sunny. This book develops some of the minor characters a bit more, and as I read books for the rich characters I found that really interesting. I hope there's a third book in the series, as I really want to know what happens to these people as the war draws to a close.
Niya B
Despite the emotional density of the subject matter the text is a surprisingly quick read. This is because it is very well paced and leaves you wanting to know more. Kalla build intrigue and develops the characters just enough to engage you with them while focusing on moving the plot forward. Towards the end this results in characters that seem more stock than real, and one wishes for a better understanding of motivation, or for deeper complexity that would make them seem more three dimensional, ...more
Karen Giovannetti

This book continues the story about the Second World War in Shanghai in the year of 1943. It continues to follow up on Dr. Franz Adler's family and friends. I am hoping Daniel Kalla will continue the saga of the family to the end of the war.
Kathleen Hurst
This is the second book in the series and it is just as good as the first one.
I love the characters and their tenacity.
It has been a long time since I read her first book but Daniel Kalla did an excellent job bringing in details from the first book to job my memory.
This book could be read without having to read the first book, The Far Side of the Sky.
Kathleen Scott
This is the second book in the series and it is just as good as the first one.
I love the characters and their tenacity.
René Toet
'The Far Side of the Sky' and 'Rising Sun, Falling Shadow' have it all.
A Jewish family - escaping Vienna in the end of the 1930s - finds a new home, friends and enemies in war time Shanghai. The struggle for the survival of their community is a story of terror, misery, betrayal, intrigue, sacrifice, hope, friendship and love. A story which is told beautifully...
Sandy Lamarche
A continuation of "The Far Side of the Sky". A bit of historical fiction of Shanghai during WWII.
Donald Sinclair
A very good book. Can't wait for the next one in this series.
Susan Shepherd
I have ready a great many books about the Second World War, but this is the first set in Shanghai. I thought the characters could have been better developed, although the story is quite fast-paced and the setting interesting in its diversity.
Michelle Hatanaka
Could not put it down. Loved, loved, loved it.
Connie
What a compelling book about the resilience and courage of the Chinese, Shanghailanders, and Jews of Shanghai during the Japanese occupation of WWII! Such colourful characters, each one of them a hero in his/her own right. There are many books about WWII on the market, but this is the first I have read that addresses how it was experienced by those in the Far East. I appreciated the author's historical accuracy in this novel, and enjoyed her writing style very much. It is a thought-provoking rea ...more
Lesley Strom
Struggled to get through this one. Just felt like it didn't quite have the same "hold" as the first in the series.
Ann G
Even though this book was a sequel, it was a good stand alone read. The plight of Jews in Shanghai during WWll was not a topic I had given thought to. Good character development and exciting scenes made this book one to recommend.
Vontel
Interesting to read this second of Kalla's books about WW2, having now read several of David Downing's "Station" books in between. There are many historical threads that enhance some understanding of each other's stories. This is an excellent book, which flows and kept me reading till the end. I'm sure-at least I hope-there must be at least one more in the series about this family and their extreme challenges to survive the remainder of WW2 in Shanghai.
Peggy
I loved this book and its prequel, "The Far Side of the Sky". I hope he continues the story.
Anne
sequel to Far Side of the Sky
Continues to follow the plight of the Jewish families in Shanghai during WWII. It is also the story of the Chinese people living there, the Japanese soldiers and how all of their lives intertwined. Great depth of characters, an extremely intriguing plot-line. And a distressing (and also somehow hopeful) look at what people are capable of doing to others.
Lisa Forsen
This book had an interesting setting set in Shanghai during WWII. The characters are Jewish doctors who fled Germany to Shanghai which then became occupied and they were forced to live in Ghetto in Shanghai. Interesting relationship between the Japanese and Germans, both occupying Shanghai at the time but not necessarily allies.
Kathleen Freeman
Another interesting read, despite the topic, I feel like a learned a lot. This was an engaging read that pulls at your heart strings, I look forward to the release of the next book to see how things turn out for the Adlers, their friends and family.
Lesley
This is a fast pace story with a lot going on. I like the characters Frantz and Sunny though this is a good continuation of their life firing WwII, I really enjoyed the first book better. I did notice this ended as if there could be more....
Alida
Clear your calendar before you start this book. It's a satisfying sequel to The Far Side of the Sky. The bad news is that Kalla is currently working on the third installment of Franz and Sunny's life. Sigh, I guess I will have to wait.

Sharon
I have this book three stars because it was fast and easy to read but really I feel that it only deserves 2 stars. There is a lot of action in the book but not that much character development. I enjoyed the first book more.
Annie
Read my full review of this book on my blog, Summer Reading Project, at Rising Sun, Falling Shadow, by Daniel Kalla.
  • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe
  • Dark Shadows: Wolf Moon Rising
  • The Devil on Her Tongue
  • The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
  • Dawn of a Thousand Nights: A Story of Honor (World War II Liberator #3)
  • Year of Impossible Goodbyes
  • Open Secret (Bern Fortin mystery, #2)
  • My Heart is Not My Own
  • Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl (Gideon Smith, #1)
  • The Wolves of St. Peter's
  • Poison Pill
  • Fireflies
  • Ward Against Darkness (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #2)
  • A Season in Hell: My 130 Days in the Sahara with Al Qaeda
  • The Broken Heart Diet
  • Chienne de Guerre: A Woman Reporter Behind the Lines of the War in Chechnya
  • The Last Priestess (The Songmaker, #1)
  • The Salbine Sisters
Born, raised, and still residing in Vancouver, Kalla spends his days (and sometimes nights) working as an ER Physician in an urban teaching hospital.

The idea for his first medical thriller, PANDEMIC, sprang from his clinical experience in facing the SARS crisis of 2003. He has written five science thrillers and or medical mysteries, delving into themes and topics as diverse as superbugs, drug addi
More about Daniel Kalla...
Pandemic The Far Side of the Sky Blood Lies Cold Plague Rage Therapy