Start by marking “Rising Sun, Falling Shadow” as Want to Read:
Rising Sun, Falling Shadow

Rising Sun, Falling Shadow (Adler Family #2)

Return to World War II Shanghai in Dan Kalla's thrilling historical novel Rising Sun, Falling Shadow, the sequel to The Far Side of the Sky

It’s 1943 and the Japanese juggernaut has swallowedShanghai and the rest of eastern China, snaring droves of American and British along with thousands of “stateless” German Jewish refugees. Despite the hostile environs, newlyweds Dr. Fr
Published September 24th 2013 by Forge Books (first published September 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Rising Sun, Falling Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rising Sun, Falling Shadow

KOMET
"Rising Sun, Falling Shadows" takes up from where The Far Side of the Sky left off. It is January 1943. Shanghai and its inhabitants, firmly in Japan's vise-like grip, continue to struggle against the brutality and savagery of a war that seemingly has no end. Both the city's Jewish refugees and Allied civilians become subject to greater scrutiny on the part of the Japanese. The former group, by order of the military governor of Shanghai, is compelled to sell their homes and personal belongings ...more
Jane
This review was first published by the Historical Novel Society. I received a free copy of the book.

This novel is the sequel to The Far Side of the Sky and is set in Shanghai in 1943. Things are looking bad for the Jews who have taken refuge in Shanghai; the Japanese occupying forces have interned the British and Americans and, urged on by their Nazi allies, have forced the Jews into what is effectively a ghetto. Dr. Franz Adler and his Eurasian wife, Sunny, cope with an escaped internee, the Ch
Kathy
Nov 13, 2013 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rising Sun, Falling Shadow, by Daniel Kalla, is a sequel to The Far Side of the Sky. The setting is 1943 in occupied Shanghai during World War II. Thousands of German Jews escaped to China during the war, and the story opens with the Japanese relocating the Jewish refugees into the "Shanghai Ghetto."

The story revolves around two main characters: Dr. Franz Adler and his Eurasian wife Sunny. Together the Alders manage to operate a small hospital against all odds for the Jewish refugees. The Alder
Sandra Hinds
Dec 18, 2013 Sandra Hinds rated it it was amazing
This is what a book should be. Entertaining, while teaching you something at the same time. Excellent continuation of the story started in The Far Side of the Sky. I simply can't wait to read the final installment of the trilogy. I love Daniel Kalla's writing style and I was totally immersed in the story. AWESOME
Jessica
Jun 14, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-review, arc
Daniel Kalla’s RISING SUN, FALLING SHADOW is the highly anticipated sequel to THE FAR SIDE OF THE SKY. If you’re worried about spoilers, you won’t find any major ones preventing you from enjoying RISING SUN. Kalla provides enough back-story and allows a reader to delve right in without being lost.

The year is 1943 and bowing to Nazi pressure, the Japanese force thousands of Jewish refugees in Shanghai to relocate. Newlyweds Franz and Sunny Adler endure the move to the ghetto and continue to opera
Toni Osborne
Feb 13, 2014 Toni Osborne rated it it was amazing
This wonderful story continues the intrigue, the medical drama and the love stories that began with “The Far Side of the Sky”. Although this sequel can be read on its own I strongly suggest reading the first to connect with the characters and understanding them better while each is coping with a shattering loss.

During the Second World War Shanghai was one of the last havens for Jewish refugees, after the Japanese occupation the Jewish population was forced into the squalid ghetto of Hongkew. Lif
Carla
Feb 07, 2016 Carla rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read about a part of the WWII experience I'd never heard much about. Unfortunately some of the characters did things that seemed implausible (Sunny getting involved with the underground and the daughter smuggling stuff in and out of the ghetto..... just didn't add up - they didn't seem that brave and/or stupid),and lessened my enjoyment of the book.

from Booklist:
In this sequel to The Far Side of the Sky (2012), Kalla delivers a gripping blend of suspense thriller and survival story,
Lindsay Wilson
Oct 02, 2016 Lindsay Wilson rated it liked it
I've had this book on my "to-read" shelf for a really long time. I enjoyed the first book well enough, but couldn't seem to get into the right mood to read this one. Ultimately, I'm glad I did, and I will certainly read the next one, but I do feel that this book didn't live up to The Far Side of the Sky.

In a lot of ways, its appeal is similar; Shanghai during World War II is a unique, exotic setting, and it's a perspective you don't see a lot of. That appeal is still here, but without the novel
Niya B
Oct 07, 2013 Niya B rated it liked it
Despite the emotional density of the subject matter the text is a surprisingly quick read. This is because it is very well paced and leaves you wanting to know more. Kalla build intrigue and develops the characters just enough to engage you with them while focusing on moving the plot forward. Towards the end this results in characters that seem more stock than real, and one wishes for a better understanding of motivation, or for deeper complexity that would make them seem more three dimensional, ...more
George Summerfield
A story of love, loss, and life living just outside of the edge of humanity.

A poignant story of love and loss, from a forgotten Front in WWII. You can feel the plight of the German and Prussian Jews, settled as refugees in Shanghai - still hunted by Nazis. As if Japanese occupation of China wasn't brutal enough; hatred and distrust surrounds this community of refugees, as it relegates them to a ghetto, no less squalid as those of their families left behind in Europe.
This is a book that you will
Sara
Jul 15, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
I stayed up very late last night reading this from front to end. This book is a follow up to his last book and continues the story of a Jewish family in Shanghai during the war. Nonetheless it is pretty light reading, but with such an interesting stage for the story. I'm imagining that he'll follow this up with another book or two and it will be interesting to see where he goes with this, and how the characters end up. More and more books are coming out about the Jews in Shanghai, and this is a ...more
Connie
Sep 29, 2013 Connie rated it really liked it
What a compelling book about the resilience and courage of the Chinese, Shanghailanders, and Jews of Shanghai during the Japanese occupation of WWII! Such colourful characters, each one of them a hero in his/her own right. There are many books about WWII on the market, but this is the first I have read that addresses how it was experienced by those in the Far East. I appreciated the author's historical accuracy in this novel, and enjoyed her writing style very much. It is a thought-provoking ...more
Karen
Jul 05, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to The Far Side of the Sky continues the story of Franz, Sunny and their friends. The Japanese have forced the German Jews into what they call,the designated area. Permission is needed to leave. Life becomes harsher and the volatility of the Japanese officers keeps everyone on edge. There is some hope when they start to see American planes. Franz, Sunny and others take great risks to protect their loved ones. The novel ends on January 1, 1944. Can't wait for the third book to come out
Heather Simmons
A great sequel.

In many cases, the books following the first in a series, fall short of the mark. This story continues the intense and riveting tale of love, loss, and hope in World War II Shanghai. I enjoy Kallas historical references and the characters that give the Shanghai story such depth. I look forward to the final book in this series so I can learn of the fates of these characters I have grown to love.
Vontel
Nov 10, 2013 Vontel rated it it was amazing
Interesting to read this second of Kalla's books about WW2, having now read several of David Downing's "Station" books in between. There are many historical threads that enhance some understanding of each other's stories. This is an excellent book, which flows and kept me reading till the end. I'm sure-at least I hope-there must be at least one more in the series about this family and their extreme challenges to survive the remainder of WW2 in Shanghai.
Raven Haired Girl
Superb characters, you feel their anxiety as they face each day and it's challenges. Sunny and Franz are examples of courage, hope and optimism. Full of suspense, at times I was tempted to flick to the ending to find out the final outcome - I restrained myself although difficult. A story truly depicting survival and the ravages of wartime. Historical fiction fans with an affinity towards WWII will want to add this to your TBR.
Ken Klein
Feb 28, 2015 Ken Klein rated it really liked it
Second (so far?) in the author's "Shanghai Series," this book follows he story of a Jewish family in Shanghai during the war with Japan. Conditions worsen as the Jews are forced to move into ghetto conditions and German-Japanese alliance focuses increasing attention and suspicion on the refugees. As in the previous volume, the author avoids reliance on the usual Shanghai stereotypes, and deserves credit for that.
Anne
Oct 27, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
sequel to Far Side of the Sky
Continues to follow the plight of the Jewish families in Shanghai during WWII. It is also the story of the Chinese people living there, the Japanese soldiers and how all of their lives intertwined. Great depth of characters, an extremely intriguing plot-line. And a distressing (and also somehow hopeful) look at what people are capable of doing to others.
Kathleen Scott
Jan 21, 2014 Kathleen Scott rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the series and it is just as good as the first one.
I love the characters and their tenacity.
It has been a long time since I read her first book but Daniel Kalla did an excellent job bringing in details from the first book to job my memory.
This book could be read without having to read the first book, The Far Side of the Sky.
Colette Hinton
Jun 15, 2015 Colette Hinton rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I was very disappointed with this book. The plot was good and it should have been an interesting, emotional read. I however, was unable to connect with any of the characters, they did not seem "real" to me. Subsequently their trials and terrors left me completely unaffected, which is very unusual for me.
Kathleen Hurst
Jan 21, 2014 Kathleen Hurst rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in the series and it is just as good as the first one.
I love the characters and their tenacity.
René Toet
Aug 31, 2014 René Toet rated it it was amazing
'The Far Side of the Sky' and 'Rising Sun, Falling Shadow' have it all.
A Jewish family - escaping Vienna in the end of the 1930s - finds a new home, friends and enemies in war time Shanghai. The struggle for the survival of their community is a story of terror, misery, betrayal, intrigue, sacrifice, hope, friendship and love. A story which is told beautifully...
Lisa Forsen
Oct 23, 2013 Lisa Forsen rated it really liked it
This book had an interesting setting set in Shanghai during WWII. The characters are Jewish doctors who fled Germany to Shanghai which then became occupied and they were forced to live in Ghetto in Shanghai. Interesting relationship between the Japanese and Germans, both occupying Shanghai at the time but not necessarily allies.
Kathryn
Aug 28, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
The sequel to the Far Side of the Sky, and continues the story of Franz and Sunny. This book develops some of the minor characters a bit more, and as I read books for the rich characters I found that really interesting. I hope there's a third book in the series, as I really want to know what happens to these people as the war draws to a close.
Ellen
Jan 15, 2014 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to the Far Side of the Sky which I loved. The saga continues with Dr Adler in China and the hardships of their lives and constant fears of survival. I hope there is a third book as this one left me wanting to know more!
Annie
Oct 28, 2013 Annie rated it it was ok
Read my full review of this book on my blog, Summer Reading Project, at Rising Sun, Falling Shadow, by Daniel Kalla.
Denise Loveless
Mar 13, 2016 Denise Loveless rated it liked it
Looking forward to book #3 in this series. Lots of history and the author made the characters very believable. The subject matter is difficult to take at times but it was part of history, a part that I was not aware happened during WWII.
Karen Giovannetti
Feb 25, 2014 Karen Giovannetti rated it really liked it

This book continues the story about the Second World War in Shanghai in the year of 1943. It continues to follow up on Dr. Franz Adler's family and friends. I am hoping Daniel Kalla will continue the saga of the family to the end of the war.
Susan
Oct 10, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Captivating story! The sequel to Daniel Kalla's novel The Far Side of the Sky is fascinating. The chararacters are continuing their strained lives in Shangai during the second WW. Truly an amazing read!
Susan Shepherd
Jan 18, 2014 Susan Shepherd rated it really liked it
I have ready a great many books about the Second World War, but this is the first set in Shanghai. I thought the characters could have been better developed, although the story is quite fast-paced and the setting interesting in its diversity.
  • Farewell to Prague
  • Night Song: A Story of Sacrifice (World War II Liberator #2)
  • Open Secret (Bern Fortin mystery, #2)
  • My Heart is Not My Own
  • The Wolves of St. Peter's
  • The Broken Heart Diet
  • The Devil on Her Tongue
  • The Globalization of World Politics: An Introduction to International Relations
  • The Tiger Claw
  • A Season in Hell: My 130 Days in the Sahara with Al Qaeda
  • Crimes Against My Brother
  • Asleep (Fairytale Collection #2)
  • Tell
  • Cassandra (Delphic Women, #2)
  • The Crooked Maid
  • Year of Impossible Goodbyes
  • Dark Shadows: Wolf Moon Rising
  • The Armies of Heaven (The House of Arkhangel'sk, #3)
Born, raised, and still residing in Vancouver, Kalla spends his days (and sometimes nights) working as an ER Physician in an urban teaching hospital.

The idea for his first medical thriller, PANDEMIC, sprang from his clinical experience in facing the SARS crisis of 2003. He has written five science thrillers and or medical mysteries, delving into themes and topics as diverse as superbugs, drug addi
More about Daniel Kalla...

Adler Family (3 books)
  • The Far Side of the Sky (Shanghai Series)
  • Nightfall Over Shanghai