Start by marking “Poems 1962-2012” as Want to Read:
Poems 1962-2012

Poems 1962-2012

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  287 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The collected works of the inimitable Pulitzer Prize–winning poet

It is the astonishment of Louise Glück's poetry that it resists collection. With each successive book her drive to leave behind what came before has grown more fierce, the force of her gaze fixed on what has yet to be imagined. She invented a form to accommodate this need, the book-length sequence of poems, l
Published November 5th 2013 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Poems 1962-2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems 1962-2012

Julie
May 03, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
I am tired of having hands
she said
I want wings

~Blue Rotunda

Two months of slowly, quietly, making my way through this extraordinary collection. Hundreds of poems, lines I want to live inside.

The mountain stands like a beacon, to remind the night that the earth still exists,
that it mustn't be forgotten.

~Before the Storm

Because the scope of this collection is so vast (fifty years!), we see the span of a woman's life, from her childhood anorexia

It begins quietly
in certain female children:
the fear
D.A.
Nov 15, 2012 D.A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book you'll want to spend time with. Not because the poems are difficult (though they occasionally can be) but because the poems are so candid and brave. It's wonderful to see that even the very early poems had a wildness, an untamed nature that made the work refreshing.

This is a dream gift for anyone who's a fan of Gluck. The size of the book makes it most suitable for libraries. If this book had existed when I was in graduate school, I would have made it my prize collection and qu
Jean-Paul Werner Walshaw-Sauter
description

I had never heard of Louise Glück before a goodreads' friend started reading her poetry. Thanks to him, (thank you Myles), I have now discovered her work and she has been the lyrical revelation of 2015 for me. Her eclectic and prophetic verse with its crystalline purity has become a form of important nourishment to me.

Descent to the Valley

I found the years of the climb upward
difficult, filled with anxiety.
I didn’t doubt my capacities:
rather, as I moved toward it,
I feared the future, the shape of
Ann
Apr 13, 2013 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect, in every way. Gluck (pronounced: Glick), who was literally a student of legendary poet Stanley Kunitz, writes neat (in their configuration on the page; not always in their sentiment), meaningful poems about herself, her parents and sister, her husband and son. She is a fin de siecle poet of historical imagination, domesticity, and metaphyics. A striking equivalent to the brilliant American women novelists of our time, I wish her poetry had a wider audience. (Though she's hardly unknown. ...more
James Murphy
Sep 27, 2013 James Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's Louise Gluck in all her majesty. From the early individualisms to the classical tropes to Homer in New Jersey to the life of a village, she writes a poetry representing all humanity. Whether written in the voices of the residents of a provincial village or the modern voices of a New Jersey family reliving the tensions of the Odyssey, these are poems spoken by man. Even in the poems about the gods, these are the stories of man. Each of her eleven books is a themed work. Besides Homer here' ...more
Myles
Oct 27, 2015 Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-poetry-man
I just met Glück in a friend's poetry workshop. She's very much the Rimbaud type, writing a whole book in a week and spending the rest of her time drinking, masturbating, reading seed catalogues.
Cooper Renner
Sep 16, 2014 Cooper Renner rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I haven't finished this book and probably never will. I wanted to reread her early books--which I had found good in the '70s and '80s--and at least try to read some of the later work, most of which I hadn't previously read and had found "lame" when browsed/looked at. I still find many of the early poems good, though by the time of Triumph of Achilles the chatty self-obsession was present, a fact I hadn't noted before. I've read some or all of three or four of the books after Triumph, and they ar ...more
Sigrun Hodne
May 15, 2015 Sigrun Hodne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Twilight

All day he works at his cousin’s mill,
so when he gets home at night, he always sits at this one window,
sees one time of dauy, twilight.
There should be more time lilke this, to sit and dream.
It’s as his cousin says:
Living— living takes you away from sitting.

In the window, not the world but a squared-off landscape
representing the world. The seasons change,
each visible only a few hours a day.
Green things followed by golden things followed by whiteness—
abstractions from which come intense pl
Raitken
Feb 18, 2016 Raitken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Thank you so so much @abby for buying me this when I wanted it so badly. Gluck seriously never disappoints and I love everything about this collection right down to the cover art. Will own this book until I die, and then someone luckier than I will own it because I'll be dead.
Meltha
Aug 27, 2015 Meltha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2015
This was somewhat of a mixed grouping of poems, and I skimmed more than read (reading every poem in a book this large all in one go would be like eating an entire bag of Oreos in one go; wouldn't matter how good they were, after a while you'd get tired and a little sick of them). The poems that I liked the most and could connect with were the first person narrative pieces written from the perspectives of various historical or mythical characters: Penelope, Circe, Joan of Arc, Gretel, Telemachus, ...more
Joan Colby
Mar 19, 2013 Joan Colby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost, I’m a huge admirer of Gluck’s poetry. What is interesting in reading from her earliest to her latest work is the consistency of her voice and style from the start. Even as a young poet, she speaks with authority.
Eric Rickert
Feb 21, 2015 Eric Rickert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poetry
The long-form version of Beyonce's ***FLAWLESS, the book equivalent of a mic drop, the reason the printing press was invented.

The unused subtitle: Jaw-Dropping Perfection, or Kiss My Ass
Maria Ch
Feb 07, 2016 Maria Ch rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites, poetry
I wanted to read this book of Gluck’s collected poetry for a few years now, and I was definitely not disappointed. An interesting read that covers more than 4 decades of poetry and 11 published collections. Gluck is a charismatic poet who takes precedence through the use of memory in her poetry as a recurrent and omnipresent theme. Memory is inscribed in images of childhood, at times conveyed as traumatic, while at others it carries elusive connotations, encrypted in images that cannot be easily ...more
Samantha
Feb 12, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I don't jump at the chance to own every contemporary poet's collected works, but Louise Gluck's is one of the few that every poetry reader should have. Containing her twelve books of poetry, it's a treat to see the progression of Gluck's work, as she's only gotten better, over time. That said, each book is still enjoyable on its own, little novels in verse that transport the reader through nature, myth, and events of Gluck's life.

Also fascinating are the dichotomies often used to describe Gluck'
Leela Srinivasan
Jan 26, 2016 Leela Srinivasan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: looked-at
The perfect mix of beautiful style but understandable content. I did not read this entire book-- I came across it in a Barnes & Noble and skimmed through it-- but I knew that I loved her and now I know it even more. Absolutely one of my favorite modern poets. There is no pretension. It just lies there, bare and open.

"Now we return to what we were,
animals living in darkness
without language or vision--

Nothing proves I'm alive.
There is only the rain, the rain is endless."
Lucas
Jul 09, 2016 Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what a journey!

From the beggining to the last book, Glück never ceases to amaze. I think it's important to know a little of each book, otherwise it could be a bit too samey if one reads as a whole block of poems. Anyway, it is clear that each book in this collection is unique. I know that "The Wild Iris" is high praised, and it deserves so, but Ararat, Meadowlands and A Village Life are perfection.
Phyllis
Oct 21, 2015 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
too much to read at once, many poems rely on the assumption that I know about mythological characters, some poems have obscure meanings. I like many of the poems, but not most. I'm sure many will love this book. I decided to purchase some of the individual books. this was a library book.
Caitlin Conlon
Jul 07, 2016 Caitlin Conlon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could choose one poet to completely emulate, to have the best & worst qualities of, it would be Louise Glück. She truly writes the things that I can only dream of creating & for that I am forever in awe of her. Some collections were better than others, but overall I felt as though I were drowning in a puddle, lungs and organs filling to the brim.
Ken
One of those leisurely reads. You know, when the morning paper's late. Read a few Louises. Plain, conversational, at times unlovely. As with Hemingway, gives you ideas. Yes, I can do this. Deceivingly simple. No problem. Imitation. Success. But, not really. Luckily, we share a love of the earth, the seasons, plants, animals. Louise writes much more first-person than I dare to. Confessional stuff. Her husband, God help us. Persephone, Gods help her. But it finished strong. "The Village" set. Thor ...more
Samantha Schroeder
I especially suggest reading "The Mirror."
Mitch
Aug 08, 2015 Mitch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poem
Fun to read aloud.
Friedrick
Sep 15, 2013 Friedrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's somehow overwhelming to have them all here, something like eleven books in the course of one career, without forward or introduction or comment, one after another, front to back. One is tempted to read from the center out in both directions, which is what I did. I've loved all her books individually. Something is lost in an omnibus like this--some kind of organizing principle, or perhaps a simple intimacy. It's too heavy in the hand.
UChicagoLaw
"This is a doorstop, more than 600 pages, but it reveals the startling development of a poetic sensibility over a half-century, from severe and dark to deep and gently optimistic, but always with an eerie precision for word and phrase. She is tough to read in great gobs, but richly rewarding." - Dennis J. Hutchinson
Susan
Oct 25, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite poetess, without a doubt.
World Literature Today
"Emerging from a reading of this accomplished collected works is like having run a rigorous marathon." - Rita Signorelli-Pappas, Princeton, New Jersey

This book was reviewed in the May 2013 issue of World Literature Today. Read the full review by visiting our site: http://bit.ly/120Gpir
Aimee
Feb 24, 2013 Aimee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I need to buy this, I keep having to return it to the library! I read most of it, and love love love. I'm usually one to flip around in a book of poetry, but this one I read from the beginning and loved how it felt like, I don't know, all one book. Beautiful, beautiful.
Jason
Apr 04, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I don't always read poetry, but when I do, I prefer Louise Gluck. Actually, this is the first poetry book I have ever read and it was great. Entertainment Weekly's Jeff Giles review is spot on (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20660...).
Alejandro Morales
It's just wonderful to have at my home's bookshelf this collection of the whole Glück's poetry between 1962 and 2012. Poems full of brilliant imagery, emotions and reflection. It is, from my point of view, a "must" for every poetry reader.
Mary
Oct 10, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really like Louise Glück until I heard her read in Santa Fe in the middle of a cold, weird winter. To what would you lose a year of your life? is a question that rattles around, still.
Crystal
Feb 01, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't begin to express how much I enjoy Louise Gluck's writing. This is a must own!
  • New and Selected Poems: 1962-2012
  • The Shadow of Sirius
  • Bewilderment: New Poems and Translations
  • The Poetry of Derek Walcott 1948-2013
  • Incarnadine: Poems
Glück was born in New York City of Hungarian Jewish heritage and grew up on Long Island. Glück attended Sarah Lawrence College and later Columbia University.

Glück is the author of twelve books of poetry, including: "A Village Life" (2009); Averno (2006), which was a finalist for The National Book Award; The Seven Ages (2001); Vita Nova (1999), which was awarded The New Yorker's Book Award in Poetr
More about Louise Glück...

“Living things don't all require
light in the same degree. Some of us
make our own light: a silver leaf
like a path no one can use, a shallow
lake of silver in the darkness under the great maples.

But you know this already.
You and the others who think
you live for truth and, by extension, love
all that is cold.”
14 likes
“They sat far apart
deliberately, to experience, daily,
the sweetness of seeing each other across
great distance.”