Start by marking “Prospero Regained: Prospero's Daughter, Book III” as Want to Read:
Prospero Regained: Prospero's Daughter, Book III

Prospero Regained: Prospero's Daughter, Book III (Prospero's Daughter #3)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  226 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
The magician Prospero's daughter Miranda has, like her father, been alive for hundreds of years, since Shakespeare chronicled their early fortunes in The Tempest.

For centuries, Miranda has run Prospero Inc., a company that, unbeknownst to the general public, has protected the world from disasters natural, magical, and man-made. But her father has been kidnapped, and is bei
Published December 17th 2013 by Tor Books (first published September 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Prospero Regained, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prospero Regained

Cassie
Oct 14, 2011 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's really more like 3.5 stars, but they only accept whole ones, so... This was a good book, and the ending was very satisfying. Lamplighter's integration of mythology, fantasy, religion, and literature was extremely interesting and original. I'm really glad I finished the series, and I'm glad I read it.

However, I was totally blindsided by the conservative values that popped up out of seemingly nowhere. (Or maybe I completely missed them before?) I don't know if it's because of what Lamplighter
TheBookSmugglers
Original joint review posted on The Book Smugglers HERE

REVIEW

First Impressions:

Thea: This is going to be a tough review to write. I absolutely loved the first two books in this series. I loved the concept of Shakespeare’s Prospero and his children living among us, their different staffs and their very human flaws. I also loved the intricate universe of the series that embraced different creatures (including elemental spirits, demons, angels, elves, and so on) as well as disparate pantheons of be
Jeff Miller
Mar 28, 2012 Jeff Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a dutiful and loyal fanboy of John C. Wright when I read that his wife had her own published books I was suitably enough impressed by the reviews to add them to my wish list. Being that my wish list is much like an infinite number set I finally just got around to reading the three books in the trilogy. In fact only the first book was released when I added it.

The books I am referring to are by L. Jagi Lamplighter and include Prospero Lost, Prospero in Hell, and Prospero Regained .

The books
Betsy Dion
May 26, 2012 Betsy Dion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is my review of the entire trilogy, since I read the three books back-to-back in one week, they blend together in my mind, and they form one long plot.

The strengths of this trilogy include:
1. The world is interesting. Set in the modern times, the world of Prospero also includes all manner of magical creatures, many of which I had never even heard of (oreads? peris? oni? bwca? ouphie?). A large chunk of the series takes place in Hell, and reads a little bit like Lewis' _The Great Divorce_.
Judy
Nov 05, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Prospero Regained is the final book in the Prospero's Daughter trilogy. The entire series is an impressive feat of fantasy writing that stands up to the accomplishments of such bestsellers as China Mieville, Philip Pullman and JRR Tolkein. This final volume was the best of all. The mysteries, the supernatural enemies and the purposes of the Prospero family introduced in the first two volumes are all fully explained and revealed. Each of Miranda's siblings and Miranda herself find the strength to ...more
David
Nov 20, 2014 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book wrapping up the series, with all of the siblings having to give up their hubris and other baggage in order to navigate hell and fight Lilith to save Prospero. Secrets are revealed.
Tim Hicks
Jan 08, 2015 Tim Hicks rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book has attracted some long reviews, and here's another.

APPLAUSE

OK, I didn't much like volumes 1 & 2 - but I did say I was sufficiently compelled to read #3. It paid off. #3 was worth reading, and revealed the enormously ambitious scope of the three-volume plot. I applaud Lamplighter's boldness. The overall plot was reasonable credible, even if many, many details weren't. Predictable and over-foreshadowed, sure, but that didn't really spoil it.

The author admits borrowing from her husb
Kerri
Sep 30, 2011 Kerri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Like the previous 2 books in the trilogy, Prospero Lost and Prospero in Hell, this is smart, literate SF/fantasy. The author draws on Shakespeare, history, myth and legend but not held hostage to them. The book benefits from a complicated heroine (and complicated foils), with some suspense and foreshadowing that does not feel overdone. The books roll right into one another with nary a gap in the action. Each one qualifies as a can't-put-it-down book. Well worth your time!
Trixie
Apr 25, 2015 Trixie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
That was so much better than I ever could have conceived.

I love this. Is there a fandom for this? I must find it for the cheer weasel alone.

One thing that surprised me though was the heavy, and I mean heavy, emphasis on Christian values. I thought it would be a little more like The Dresden Files where it seemed like everything would have its due weight but nope. Super meta, and both conservative and...not? I can't say exactly what would be considered blasphemy, I haven't been to church in ages,
Quanjun
Aug 01, 2014 Quanjun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Read this a while back. Just realized I'd forgotten to add it.

I loved this series until this book. Then it did something that gave me a bit of a bad taste.

(view spoiler)
Beka
Jan 31, 2016 Beka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed with how this series turned out. The premise is excellent: Prospero and Miranda from The Tempest come back from the Island, acquire the Water of Life, and build a vast commercial empire based on contracts with various other supernatural forces. Then, Prospero disappears. The premise was so good that I was willing to overlook a number of things in the first two books to see where the story went (Examples: (1) a main character whom I personally found pretty irritat ...more
Amanda Qualls
I have pretty mixed feelings around this series. On the one hand, I finished it, which means that I either liked it enough or felt otherwise compelled to get through it. But, on the other hand, there were pages I wanted to skip altogether, and I found myself eye rolling quite a bit.

I think the thing that kept me sticking around and ultimately feeling some warm feelings towards this book (and the series as a whole) was the cast of characters. I genuinely cared about them and wanted to know what h
David
Feb 16, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading the Prospero's Daughter books, I thought that I was getting clever light fantasy. The central cleverness came from the explanation of the nature of the scientific age, and the role of the Prosperos in its preservation. The dark undercurrent of the mechanism? Well, that can be overlooked... I treated it as a romp - don't look too closely, and enjoy the ride.

The concluding volume changed this. Lamplighter pulls off the turn masterfully, pivoting into serious philosophical an
Clay Kallam
Jul 15, 2012 Clay Kallam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
“Prospero Regained” (Tor, $25.99, 384 pages) wraps up a trilogy loosely based on Shakespeare’s “The Tempest.” Miranda, Prospero’s daughter, is the protagonist, but she now has siblings who are trying to rescue their father, who is trapped in hell. As with many such series, it’s almost imperative to read the first two books (“Prospero Lost” and “Prospero in Hell”) to have any sense of what’s happening, and even then it’s a strain, as J. Lagi Lamplighter’s method is to set up mysteries, often earl ...more
Suzannah
I wanted to like L Jagi Lamplighter's (aka Mrs John C Wright) "Prospero's Daughter" trilogy better, but it was not to be.

Mrs Wright's books are a fun fantasy romp loosely based on Shakespeare's The Tempest and Christian cosmology, expertly juggling a wide cast mainly composed of the large Prospero family, all of whom I enjoyed learning to know, and, along with the narrator, like. The plot and setting is well done.

Alas, I had three problems with the trilogy. First, when it comes to writing style,
Lauryn
Oct 24, 2011 Lauryn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read the first book in this series because it was part of a book club I was following and it was okay. I read the second book because I was curious and the first book ended on a cliff hanger. I enjoyed the second book as the characters became more three dimensional and secrets were starting to be revealed. I read this book, the third in the series, because I had appreciated the second book and again it had ended on a cliff hanger. I did not enjoy this book very much. For one, I don't enjoy bei ...more
Mary Catelli
This is the third book of a trilogy a la The Lord of the Rings -- a book chopped into three parts. There will therefore will be SPOILERS ahead. (Which is important because this trilogy is about the unfolding of mysteries.)

It opens with a foursome of Eramus, Mab, Gregor, and Miranda herself tramping through a hellish swamp in search of the other siblings that the Hellwinds blew away, in hopes of collecting them all in time to rescue their father from the Queen of Air and Darkness, who intends to
Sharon Bodnar
Jan 29, 2015 Sharon Bodnar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished this amazing trilogy-- questions answered, loose ends tied and Miranda's dreams came true. Very well written with vivid descriptions, great characters -- I am amazed at how Lamplighter created such a well- developed universe with bits of edgy modern humor blended in.
Lorrie
Aug 27, 2014 Lorrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started off a bit slow but came together in the end. Don't see why these three books weren't one giant one, but eh.
Susan
Apr 11, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Golly gosh, I wish I'd written this. Other reviewers have complained that this book got a little preachy, but I didn't see it that way. I thought it was maybe too literal at times, but the series has always involved incarnating things that we think of as amorphous or metaphoric. Mostly, I just loved how Lamplighter let the characters make choices, and then saw those choices through to their logical ends-- albeit ends influenced by magic and religion. A fun read as well as thought-provoking.
Ginger
Dec 03, 2011 Ginger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of the Prospero siblings and supporting characters have really come into their own in this third and final book of the Prospero's Daughter series. Lamplighter masterfully manages to make each of them likeable in his or her unique way, even though each also has weaknesses and can be trouble for each other. I don't know of many people who would have the hubris to create a structured Hell after Dante's superb job centuries ago, but Lamplighter pulls it off magnificently.
Kalyn
The conclusion of the series sees the Prospero siblings travel through hell and back to save their father, learning quite a bit about each other along the way. The story in this one was more interesting that the others but still not great. I wish I could pinpoint why this series just didn't come together for me.
Missie Kay The Book Fix
A disappointing ending to the series. See my entire review here:

Lindsey
Jan 12, 2012 Lindsey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This was a painful book to read. I've been trudging through it for 8 weeks now. Had to endure a long journey through hell (literally) and Miranda's endless monologuing, which was at times equally hellish. I think there was a lot of sanctimonious, morally cheesy crap too, which I was sick and tired of by the end.
Ted
A fittingly epic conclusion to the best William Shakespeare/Dante Alighieri mashup urban fantasy the world is likely to see.
Brenda
Jan 26, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a relatively good read to conclude the trilogy, though the ending seemed a bit cliched as everything worked out perfectly. And the theological "remedy" to the issue of fantastical elements and Christianity is a little too gushy and self-involved.

And Erasmus is still my favorite.
Carmen
Nov 22, 2011 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Impressive world building and endearing quirky characters in a well thought story that Ms. Lamplighter brings to a satisfying conclusion in this last volume of the Prospero's Daughter trilogy.

You can read my full review at http://www.myshelf.com/scifi_fantasy/...
Dennis
Dec 21, 2011 Dennis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Intriguing, but ultimately flawed, this trilogy is not the first promising narrative to succumb to the allure of a big, important (to the author) idea. This reader was left wanting a more authentic narrative, one that wasn't motivated by the writer's ideological musings.
Travis Littlechilds
Definitely one of my favourite fantasy books in a while. Takes a strong bit of Dante's Inferno, along with some Shakespeare and all sorts of mysticism from many religions. It's set in Modern day, with a feeling of Warehouse 13 as well.
Andrea
Jun 01, 2012 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
I -still- found the writing very distracting. Also this one gets fairly syrupy and preachy. I still cared what happened to the characters, there was just a LOT of church, weird church in hell with unicorns. All wrapped up, though.
  • The Flames of Shadam Khoreh (Lays of Anuskaya, #3)
  • Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2)
  • The Chronicle of Secret Riven (Keeper of Tales Trilogy, #2)
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Worldsoul (Worldsoul, #1)
  • The High House (Evenmere #1)
  • One for the Morning Glory
  • American Craftsmen
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation / Doctor Who: Assimilation2, Volume 2
  • Star Trek Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)
  • Eccentric Circles
  • A Midsummer Tempest
  • On the Razor's Edge
  • A Star Shall Fall (Onyx Court, #3)
  • Bone Shop (Marla Mason, Prequel #1)
  • Draw One in the Dark (Shifters, #1)
  • The Master of Heathcrest Hall (Mrs. Quent, #3)
1938680

L. Jagi Lamplighter is a writer of fantasy and children's stories. When not writing, she reverts to her secret ID where she lives in fairytale happiness with her husband, writer John C. Wright, and their four delightful children Orville, Ping-Ping, the Cherubim, and Justinian the Elf King.

For more information, see:

Prospero Lost: A Writer's Odyssey -- an essay about how Prospero Lost came to be,

More about L. Jagi Lamplighter...

Prospero's Daughter (3 books)
  • Prospero Lost  (Prospero's Daughter, #1)
  • Prospero in Hell (Prospero's Daughter, #2)