Start by marking “Beloved Enemy (Jack McClure, #5)” as Want to Read:
Beloved Enemy (Jack McClure, #5)

Beloved Enemy (Jack McClure #5)

New from Eric Van Lustbader, the author of The Bourne Legacy and The Bourne Betrayal, comes Beloved Enemy, the thrilling fifth installment in the New York Times bestselling Jack McClure series.
In the stunning follow up to Father Night, Jack McClure faces a choice: help the woman he loves, or destroy her as the enemy she is.

Shortly after McClure leaves a late night meetin

Published September 10th 2013 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Beloved Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beloved Enemy

Bev Taylor
Dec 29, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
a jack mcclure thriller

the secretary of homeland security has been shot dead in his own home - and jack is the chief suspect

on the run, he must outrun the security forces, politicians and paid assassins to find the real killer. but to do so he must confront annika, the woman he once loved and is now his most deadly enemy

this has it all - polici and and heads of security forces at one another's throats - so whats new? plus a mystical journey thru many countries and unhinged killers

gets a bit
Glen
Feb 25, 2016 Glen rated it liked it
Shelves: espionage
A super spy is framed for the murder of the Secretary of Defense, and has to run all over the world to clear his name. Not bad, but really not very memorable either. Certainly won't take the place of Vince Flynn.

Not anywhere near as sleazy at Van Lustbader's 80's work.
Janis
Aug 14, 2016 Janis rated it really liked it
This is a good book, but you could get lost if you hadn't read the ones before it.
Amy Lignor
Sep 16, 2013 Amy Lignor rated it it was amazing
Many readers liken this, the Jack McClure series, to the non-stop action that the Jason Bourne novels provided. Which makes sense; after all, both of these incredible series were written by this author who knows how to tell a tale of suspense that engages readers from the very first book.

In this fifth installment, Jack McClure is called into the office of the Secretary of Homeland Security, Dennis Paull. Secretary Paull is deeply concerned that one of his contacts has up and disappeared, and as
Perry Martin
Mar 29, 2015 Perry Martin rated it it was ok
I thought this was the third book in Eric Van Lustbader's Jack McClure series, but this says it's the fifth??? Narrated by Peter Berkrot, this performer does a great job with the voices of all the characters and their many accents. Peter is really the strength of this audiobook. I started this series and really enjoyed the first two books. They involved the Presidents Daughter and her interaction with Jack McClure. Circumstances have come to pass since the previous book that has put Jack on the ...more
Don Sparrow
Nov 04, 2013 Don Sparrow rated it liked it
Wow...time to take a breath as super spy Jack McClure successfully defies death many times in this 5th installment of E.V.L.'s series. ( this is the 4th I have read ) I can see why the Robert Ludlum estate chose E.V.L.to carry on the Jason Bourne novels after Ludlum's passing.I have read four of the latest Bourne entries by E.V.L. and was so pleased that it led me to see what his other novels were like. In this latest; McClure is framed for the murder of his boss the head of Homeland Security. H ...more
Gina
Apr 05, 2014 Gina rated it it was ok
Shelves: listened
Beloved Enemy by Eric Van Lustbader.

Most of us have come to know Eric Van Lustbader as the writer who has taken over the Jason Bourne series from Robert Ludlum, and done a good job of keeping the stories coming for the movies. I've listened to a couple and they are good listens. That's why I was so disappointed in this book. The story, the plots, the characters and the dialog were not up to the level I was expecting from the JB stories.

And what made it worse was the reader - Peter Berkrot. He
Linda
Oct 21, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
This was a fast paced novel going from DC to Bangkok to Switzerland. In this book, Jack McClure is targeted as the murderer of Homeland Security Director Dennis Paull and his security team. Escaping from DC, he focuses on finding the man in the dossier that Paull had shown him knowing that this man could clear him. Jack travels to Bangkok and then Switzerland, meeting his old love and enemy Annika Dementieva and The Syrian known as Namazi along the way. As the bad guys are taken out, he and Anni ...more
Don
Jul 23, 2016 Don rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author of the Jason Bourne series, this is the story of another spy named Jack McLure. They changed the name to Jack Ryan for the movie series. I think I didnt start this series with book 1 because it took me a while to get up to speed. Good book. It started to pick up speed about halfway through. Liked the second half, first half not so much. I had trouble keeping the Washington characters straight, there just wasn't enough backstory given to make them memorable.

Overall a good read, fun adv
RACHEL
Feb 06, 2014 RACHEL rated it it was ok
I listened to the audio book & that was a mistake. There is a different narrator for this book than all the others. He over exaggerates the voices where they either sound like pro wrestlers shouting in the ring or Jabba the Hut from Star Wars. I can't believe this is the published version. It is laughable & downright annoying.
Donna
Dec 27, 2016 Donna rated it did not like it
It took a long time to get to this review. I must have read at least 15 other books since I started this one and I guess there was a reason I kept putting it down and reading something else. I finally decided the book had too many characters and I was having trouble keeping them straight and I found that very frustrating so I have given it away. Maybe someone else will like it but I didn't.
Thomas Kelly
Dec 22, 2014 Thomas Kelly rated it liked it
Better than the last one! Lots of characters; difficult to keep them all straight. Much of the narrative full of cliches. But still a good read; interesting plot. Characters& events intertwined in most chapters.
Lee
Dec 30, 2014 Lee rated it it was ok
Where do all the henchmen in these novels come from? Every Bourne-like hero in every not-quite serial novel like this dispatches about a dozen anonymous bad guys on their way through the gauntlet to the next installment. Still nice to hit up some genre over the holiday.
Julie Bye
Nov 19, 2015 Julie Bye rated it liked it
id actually give this three and a half stars. I hadn't read the previous books in the series so it took me a while to get into it. It's a typical action thriller. If you're looking for a cerebral experience you'll be disappointed. But if you just sit back and enjoy the tale, it's a decent read.
Kate Ayers
Aug 30, 2013 Kate Ayers rated it really liked it
The idea that the one person you ever loved has betrayed you and become your mortal enemy makes for an intriguing premise on which to base a dramatic story. Toss in a ruthless terrorist with deadly intentions, and you're off and rolling. Action all the way!
Diane Carey
Sep 04, 2014 Diane Carey rated it really liked it
The Jack McClure series by this author are always a "can't put down" page turner. The endings always leave the story open for a sequel. Excellent book by the author designated to also continue Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne series.
Bill
Oct 10, 2014 Bill rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
Lustbader seems to be writing for movie scripts. Fight scenes seem to be conveniently long and somewhat unbelievable. He did not tie up some major plots and players but they are for the next franchise book. Still a decent read though.
Eric Wright
This book is one too many Jason Bourne clones. Sadly, I wasted time reading it until I got fed up with weird and unrealistic character and poor writing. I dumped it unfinished
Kim
Aug 08, 2013 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Disappointing in relation to the earlier books. But if you are following the series you might miss something if there is another book to the series.
Barbara
Oct 29, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Loved!
Diane
Nov 27, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Always read Lustbader's earlier books-haven't kept up w/his Bourne books but do like his Jake McClure series, i.e. President's Daughter, Father Night, and this one.
Germaine
Nov 08, 2013 Germaine rated it liked it
A bit disappointing after reading the earlier books expected the same high speed action and it's left it hanging too many loose ends
Victor Borgeest
Oct 24, 2015 Victor Borgeest rated it it was ok
not a fan of this book 25 yrs ago his nickolas linnear were good
David Marshall
Mar 03, 2014 David Marshall rated it did not like it
The situations grow increasingly absurd as we head to one of the more annoying conclusions to a five book series.

Elizabeth
Jan 01, 2016 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Fine...a little confusing at times and I felt like the storylines were both tied up too nicely and not tied up at all.
Wilde Sky
May 12, 2016 Wilde Sky rated it liked it
A secret agent is suspected of murdering his boss.

Not a bad story but I found there were too many characters / plot lines which broke up the narrative.
Colleen
Nov 23, 2013 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Loved this last installment of the McClure series ! Wish there were more to come!
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2014
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Linda Bier
Linda Bier rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Girl Seven (London Underground, #2)
  • Blood Lies (Rogue Warrior, #16)
  • The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10)
  • The Capitol Game
  • The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
  • Time to Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #6)
  • The Sea Witch
  • Days of Rage (Pike Logan, #6)
  • The Enraged (Jonathan Quinn, #7)
  • Don't Leave Me
  • One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • A Time for Patriots (Patrick McLanahan, #17)
  • Heaven's Prey (Redemption's Edge, #1)
  • Crash Dive (Alexander Hawke, #6.5)
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is
More about Eric Van Lustbader...

Jack McClure (5 books)
  • First Daughter (Jack McClure, #1)
  • Last Snow (Jack McClure, #2)
  • Blood Trust (Jack McClure, #3)
  • Father Night (Jack McClure, #4)