Start by marking “Ask Not” as Want to Read:
Ask Not

Ask Not (Nathan Heller #18)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Chicago, September 1964.Beatlemania sweeps the nation, the Vietnam War looms, and the Warren Commission prepares to blame a “lone-nut” assassin for the killing of President John F. Kennedy. But as the post-Camelot era begins, a suspicious outbreak of suicides, accidental deaths, and outright murders decimates assassination witnesses. When Nathan Heller and his son are near ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Ask Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask Not

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
New Review! ASK NOT: A Nathan Heller Thriller is Max Allan Collins' usual top-notch thriller-writing. Third in his JFK trilogy, it's got everything: Murders, mobsters, CIA honchos, and the Beatles in Chicago. Exciting reading even if you don't remember where you were on That Awful Day.

My 4.5-star review is at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud. C'mon, what's a simple mouse-click between friends?
Randy
I've been a fan of the Heller novels for many years now. Mr. Collins is now getting into territory I lived in. I remember the Kennedy assassination, seeing Ruby shoot Oswald on live TV, and a couple of years later the Beatles arriving on our shores.

ASK NOT concludes the author's JFK trilogy and begins with Heller and his son, Sam, nearly getting run down coming out of a Beatles concert. Heller is working for them and arranges a meet(I'm the same age as Sam at that time and would have loved to be
Mark Drew
The Nathan Heller series is a work of historical fiction genius and M.A.C. writes some of the best Hard Boiled literature around of any era. Period.

This installment finishes Collin's JFK trilogy and while its inter-working of fiction and fact is seamless as usual this is also the most static of all the Heller books. Nate spends most of the book as a secondary observer instead of the active participant that he usually is.

However, there is this issue that has begun to drive me crazy. It is the end
Gloria Feit
In this final volume in the JFK assassination trilogy, Nat Heller is caught up in investigating events in Dallas that November 22nd, drawn into the story behind the murder of the President, when he finds out about a series of suicides and suspicious deaths surrounding the case of Billy Sol Estes, who was famously convicted of fraud. Suddenly he sees a parallel, as witnesses to the event in Dallas’ Dealey Plaza also seem to disappear by suicide, “accidental” death or murder.

“Ask Not” follows the
LA Carlson
Nov 17, 2013 LA Carlson rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to LA by: found at the library
Shelves: fiction
Interesting premise and cover shot as we are approaching the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination ; but the writing never allowed me to become vested. Too disjointed and difficult to follow. I found myself re-reading passages. Gave up after the first 50 pages.
Chris
Kind of a surprise. This is a factual-as-possible novel about the conspiracy theory version of the Kennedy assassination. I learned a lot, and found a new series of books to start reading. It isn't clear on the cover, but this is the third book of a trilogy dealing with the assassination. The other two are Bye Bye Baby, which is about Marilyn Monroe's death, and Target Lancer which is the assassination itself. Ask Not is about the mysterious deaths of many of the witnesses who did not agree with ...more
David Marshall
It's not a historical book discussing the JFK conspiracy theories and it;s not a very good PI novel because it keeps stopping to fit the action into the real world conspiracy theories.

Metagion
This is one of those "where were you in 1963?" kind of stories as we follow Private Eye Nathan (Nate) Heller soon after the assassination of JFK, and the circumstances that lead up to one of history's most shocking events. Really, REALLY good book, but it's also one of those "you-had-to-have-been-there" kind of things ( and you love historical fiction). Great for the "what if" crowds as well.
Jane
I struggled through this book severely. I had a hard keeping track of some many different directions this was going. Not sure I'll read another of his writings.
Al Stoess
Mar 15, 2014 Al Stoess rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Collins fans. Conspiracy theorists.
Typical Collins far. Great if you believe in the conspiracy theory of Kennedy's death.
Michael A
last of the assassination trilogy with more true background woven very well into a fictional tale.
Kelly
Very good. Practically anything I saw will be a spoiler.
Tim Martin
good book about the kennedy asassination
Melrose
Aug 04, 2014 Melrose added it
Shelves: staffpicks
Donna
Robin
In his senior years Nate gets involved in the JFK assassination. Max does enormous research and makes a believable case for a conspiracy of Mafia/Cuban/CIA operatives including a lot of evidence for all the suspicious deaths of witnesses. Max tells of the parts of the book that do not exactly follow the facts. I didn't know that Dorothy Kilgallen was so involved. Be careful - this book might change your mind!
Robert James
I liked this book a lot better than the previous Heller book "Target Lancer". Most of us of a certain age have heard all of the conspiracy theories at one time but Collins puts his own spin on them. The story moves at a good pace and Collins ties it up in a nice bow in the end. You wonder how much more Heller has in the tank but it looks like this guy is kin to the Energizer Bunny.
Ken
When combined with the previous novel, Target Lancer" ,Collins has created a story line that will give JFK conspiracy theorists all they could want. As with all the Nate Heller novels, Collins accurately reflects the society of the time frame covered in the novels. First rate.
Diane
This book was a real page turner and an interesting one at that. Well written and researched it adds a new spin on the JFK murder investigation.Though most of these speculations about that Deadly Day in Dallas have been well written about this book seems to pull them all together in suspense packed novel. A must Read !
Harvey
This last of the "JFK Trilogy" takes the best of the "conspiracy theories" and weaves Nate Heller into the mix in an entertaining way. Has definitely re-awakened my interest in the crime and taking a look at some of Collins source material for his excellent and through research.
Bob Ro
This one takes a bit of time getting started, as if Collins was not sure where he wanted to take it. But once it gets rolling, it is another great Nate Heller novel.
Peter F. Maronge
Peter F. Maronge is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Steve Keller
Steve Keller marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Barry
Barry added it
Nov 15, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
12014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom
More about Max Allan Collins...
Supreme Justice Bones Buried Deep (Bones, #1) Road to Perdition Sin City (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #2) The Mummy