Start by marking “Ghost Medicine (Ella Clah, #17)” as Want to Read:
Ghost Medicine (Ella Clah, #17)

Ghost Medicine (Ella Clah #17)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Aimee and David Thurlo’s newest mystery Ghost Medicine, featuring Navajo Police Special Investigator Ella Clah.

Ella takes all her cases personally, but some cases are more personal than others. The murder of Harry Ute is one of those—not only because Ella and Harry dated, years ago, but because Harry was once a member of her investigative team. Ella’s team is as close to h
Published November 12th 2013 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Medicine

The Desert King by Olivia GatesTo Tempt a Sheikh by Olivia GatesTo Tame a Sheikh by Olivia GatesThe Once And Future Prince by Olivia GatesThe Illegitimate King by Olivia Gates
Favorite Silhouette
349th out of 378 books — 49 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothGame. Set. Match. by Jennifer IacopelliClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Elite by Kiera CassThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
The "Can't Wait" Books of 2013
241st out of 529 books — 224 voters

More lists with this book...

Syrdarya
I love mysteries which focus on Native American nations and cultures, so I shouldn't have waited so long to dip into this series. The seventeenth entry in a series doesn't seem to be a good place to start, but the authors did an excellent job of introducing the characters in ways that didn't make me, a new reader, feel like I'd missed something.

Navajo Police Special Investigator Ella Clah is called to investigate the murder of a former boyfriend and coworker, Harry Ute. She hadn't been in contac
Steven Howes
Ella Clah mysteries are very reminiscent of Tony Hillerman's novels involving Navajo Tribal Policemen Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn. The only difference is that the protagonist and Navajo homicide detective, Ella Clah, is a woman. As a single mother, she has a difficult time balancing her police career with family responsibilities. Fortunately, she has an understanding extended family and strong traditions to support her. Readers are exposed to a good deal of Navajo culture as the characters try to ...more
Chris
I thought I was reading Tony Hillerman for awhile but then I got a little tired of the girley humor of the women detectives eyeing each other's men and their physical attributes. It stalled for me half way through as Ella is searching for the murderer and getting involved in a stolen property ring. Lots of interesting Navajo cultural lore but I had trouble keeping track of some of the male characters. I just wanted it to end and end it did. Perhaps the series is over due to some intense tribal p ...more
Elizabeth Pruett
Superb!!!!.

You can't say enough about a perfect book, and a wonderful pair of authors. This is an awesome book as they always are by the Thurlos. I have loved their characters from the first and I will continue to do so . Don't miss this book, this story. But, I will miss Aimee, but she lives on in her remarkable books. If you have never read Ella Clah, please start at the beginning and go forth. If you are a fan and haven't caught up then please do. This is one you don't want to miss.
Susan
Navajo Police special investigator Ella Clah suspects “skinwalkers,” Navajo witches, may be involved when the body of a former Navajo police officer is found. However, Ella has more to worry about than the investigation. Her unit is being downsized and supposedly modernized. Friends are losing their jobs and the unit’s efficiency is at risk. Concerned about the future of her daughter as well as herself, Ella faces some life-changing decisions. An intriguing setting and complex heroine.
Jan
This is a great series! This installment is not my favorite of the group, but it's clear that this is also a transition book. The main character is clearly preparing for some major life changes that hopefully will also bring some fresh life into the series. I still enjoyed the book & all fans of Tony Hillerman's books are likely to appreciate the mix of setting, culture, characters & plot.
Michael  Starsheen
Another great entry in this series

I gave this book five stars because it was a good read. I enjoyed the series so far, and look forward to reading further entries in it. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a good time.
Richelle Montoya
Awesome!!!

as usual, the suspense was there, entertainment was there. I was not disappointed at all. I am always on the look out for their next book. The Ella Clah series is my most favorite books ever!
Al Stoess
Apr 15, 2014 Al Stoess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy Indian detective stories.
Simplistic yet interesting writing style. A great deal of family and friend interaction. Story was ok. I learned a little more about Navajos.
John Chadwick
Excellent final chapter in the Ella Clah series. Good characters and a fun read. Thank you to the authors for all your novels over the years.
Deborah
It was bitter sweet reading this, not knowing if it was Aimee Thurlo's last book. I did really enjoy it & wonder if David will be continuing the series.
Cindy
A hard-to-put-down story that sets up some interesting conditions for future books in the series.
Teri Stich
What can I say, I love Aimee Thurlo’s Ella Clan Series. I have read each and every one and have yet to be disappointed. Ghost medicine is no exception. Murder, Intrigue, Indian Culture, great characters; it’s all here. If you haven’t read any of the series yet, this can be read as a standalone but since most of the key players in the series return, I think it’s better to read some of the early ones and go from there. Whichever way you play just be sure to read her books, including her other seri ...more
Kate
Very good entry in this series. Ella Clah and her team of Navaho investigators are theoretically investigating the murder of a former co-worker who was investigating a series of thefts from the San Juan County Sheriff's Department. However, signs of "skinwalkers" keep showing up, which makes everyone uncomfortable. Are these Navaho witches real or are they a distraction to keep Clah from finding the murderer and the source of the theft?

Rick Stark
Ella Clah solves another one. This is the seventeenth book in the series,that follows a team of Navaho Nation Police Officers lead by Clah. Aimee and David Thurlo know the ins and outs of the Navaho "Big Res", so the books reflect that knowledge. I've enjoyed them all of them and do recommend them.
Vicki
Blazing seatcovers! (And pass me one of those Navajo tacos.)
Penney
Eh, for being book 17 in a series I expected much more. The characters were flat and stereotypical while the plot was ill-explained and abrupt.
Ron Chicaferro
This book is another in the long series about the Navajo Police and the life of Police Inspector Ella Clah. Like her other stories, Clah battles bad guys and Tribe politics. Each novel is similar in that sense. But, the stories are terrific and the pace is fast. There isn't a dull page! The writing is crisp and to the point - no wasted words anywhere. In addition to a first-rate mystery you'll learn a fair amount about the Navajo Nation - their beliefs and practices. It will open another world f ...more
Elaine H
It was in the Tony Hillerman style, but without the spirit.
Lynn
These mysteries are formulaic, but I've read the whole series because I love the setting. The characters have always been sort of cardboard cutouts and the dialog predictable......this time the whole book was boring. There were some glaring continuity mistakes and a mention of a "Ford Silverado" that made me shake my head at the lack of editing as well. I've got to find a new author for my Four Corners fix.
T J
Aimee Thurlo has done it again. Ella Clah is working hard to catch the killer of her old friend. You have theft and skinwalkers around every turn and I climax ending that will your breathless with anticipation for what Ella will do next.
John Kues
I liked it, and it does follow some of the Hillerman themes, though to me there was more action than you'd expect (isn't there always) and I didn't connect with the characters that much. Maybe I should read more of their writings.....
Jewett
I love these books. Maybe it's because my father's family came from Navajo land, but these really touch me. The mystery is good but the culture lessons are terrific.
Michele bookloverforever
hope this isn't the end of the series. I loved all the books. I hate losing old friends. Ella leaves the police force. bit solves the murder of an old friend first.
Lisa Murray
I can remember why I really liked the Ella Clah mysteries, but this just felt really thin and stilted. I was disappointed.
Glenda
This is book 17 in the Ella Clah series. I love this series. I own them all. I hope this is NOT the last book of the series?
Nov 20, 2013 Laura added it
Another excellent Ellah Clah mystery, but the ending begs the question "Is this the last in the series?"
Patty Hankins
Overall enjoyed that latest Ella Clah mystery - although it felt a little rushed at the end
Meredith
Is this end of Ella Clah?
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
  • The First Mistake (Cleo North #1)
  • The Price of Innocence (Theresa MacLean #6)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald Mystery, #7)
  • Pagan Spring (A Max Tudor Mystery, #3)
  • Death Makes the Cut (Jocelyn Shore #2)
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Dick Francis's Damage
  • Let it Burn (Alex McKnight, #10)
  • The Bone Orchard (Mike Bowditch, #5)
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • Double Blind (Hideaway, #9) (Love Inspired Suspense)
  • Death Come Quickly (China Bayles, #22)
  • Wouldn't It Be Deadly (Eliza Doolittle & Henry Higgins Mystery, #1)
  • Charmed Circle (A Cass Shipton Mystery, #2)
  • Cuba Straits (Doc Ford, #22)
  • A Cold White Sun (Constable Molly Smith #6)
  • Dangerous Refuge
  • By Its Cover (Commissario Brunetti, #23)
4712006
Aimee and David Thurlo are the authors of the Ella Clah mysteries, the Sister Agatha mysteries, the Lee Nez vampire novels all set in New Mexico. David grew up on the Navajo Indian Nation, and Aimee, a native of Cuba, lived in the southwest for forty years.

Aimée passed away peacefully at her home on the morning of February 28, 2014, after a brief struggle with cancer and related complications. She
More about Aimée Thurlo...

Ella Clah (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1)
  • Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2)
  • Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3)
  • Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)
  • Shooting Chant (Ella Clah, #5)
  • Red Mesa (Ella Clah, #6)
  • Changing Woman (Ella Clah, #7)
  • Tracking Bear (Ella Clah, #8)
  • Wind Spirit (Ella Clah, #9)
  • White Thunder (Ella Clah, #10)
Blackening Song (Ella Clah, #1) Bad Medicine (Ella Clah, #3) Death Walker (Ella Clah, #2) Red Mesa (Ella Clah, #6) Enemy Way (Ella Clah, #4)