Start by marking “Dark City” as Want to Read:
Dark City

Dark City (Repairman Jack: The Early Years #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  330 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Dark City is the secondof a new prequel trilogy, Repairman Jack: The Early Years by F. PaulWilson.

It’s February 1992. Desert Storm is raging in Iraq but twenty-two-year-old Jack has more pressing matters at home. His favorite bar, The Spot, is about to be sold out from under Julio, Jack’s friend. Jack has been something of a tag-along to this point, but now he takes the re
Published October 15th 2013 by Tor Books (first published July 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dark City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark City

Rick Soper
This is the second book in the three book prequel that will make up the final Repairman Jack novels. It's once again giving the background about how Jack came to be the man that took on the horrifying Rakoshi in The Tomb. It's an entertaining story thats working along a number of story lines. If your new to F. Paul Wilson then you should know that nearly everything he's written is connected to a much larger Secret History of the world and every repairman Jack novel walks the fine line between Le ...more
Randy
In this second volume of the Early Years trilogy, we continue to see the events that are transforming the young man Jack into the very formidable Repairman Jack of the main series.

Following the first volume, the Order is looking for jack and the two men who broke up their child enslavement/sex toy ring and stole their three million dollars. They set up a trap to grab them and find their money.

At the same time, terrorists are plotting to bring Jihad to the U.S. and are allied with the Order. They
William Bentrim
Dark City by F. Paul Wilson

I may be one of the few action adventure readers who has just discovered Repairman Jack. This is a series that documents one man's quest to right wrongs in a unique vigilante/godfather manner.

This specific book appears to be the middle book of a trilogy chronicling the early years of Repairman Jack.

I read the Keep, a book in another Wilson series years ago and was impressed. I'm somewhat dismayed I wasn't more diligent in keeping track of what Wilson was writing as
Jessica Bronder
Jack is back. He is still fighting with the Muslim pedophiles that he broke up their slave trade/sex ring in Cold City. He is also helping his friend Julio keep The Spot from being sold but the other owners. He also has a run in with Dominicans from the landscaping job he worked when he first got into town. We also get to see how Jack is training, working with the blackness that takes him over, and starts planning on how to take care of situations with a more creative eye.

This is only the second
Nick
Decent, but as with the preceding entry in this trilogy, a serious case of prequelitis. It's definitely interesting to see the way Jack's philosophy is developing over time, but I really don't need every ancillary character from the rest of the series to appear for a brief fan service cameo. And please, please, please, F. Paul Wilson: stop writing sex scenes. You are really very bad at it, and I would like you to stop.
Brian Palmer
This early on in the Repairman Jack timeline, there are only hints about the urban fantasy/secret history that would later become key. As a standalone novel, this was a not-horrible but not amazing thriller, where a young Jack in the city begins to make friends and establish a role for himself, caught reacting to the people's actions around him.

For fans of the series as a whole, the book becomes more interesting, as it cements his role in life and his usual retinue; establishing his independence
Jim
It's Getting Dark But It's Not There Yet

DARK CITY is part 2 of the prequel trilogy of F.Paul Wilson's best-selling Repairman Jack series. The trilogy describes Jack's entrée into his adult life as "Repairman Jack" (still sans a nome de gun and and answering machine) as a 22 year old in 1991 NYC. Part 2 picks up directly after the opener, with Jack looking for wheels and deciding on the Corvair referred to but not seen in the adult series. He is still entangled with the Muslim pedophile slave tr
Rhonda
Gor years a new Repairman Jack book meant that everything else in my life stopped while I devoured it. I'm sorry to say that hasn't been the case with these "Early Years" books. I'm reading out of devotion,and if truth be told, if this were by someone else, I probably wouldn't have finished it. I've 2 interrelated complaints, outside the fact that rather than having self-contained plots, this trilogy features one that runs throughout. 1. There's not enough Jack. I want to see how he became Repai ...more
Dominick Cancilla
I enjoyed this book just as much as I enjoyed the first in the series. Once again, it only loses a star because most of the issues brought up in the series so far have not been resolved, and the book feels more like a collection of chapters from a larger work than a self-contained book. If the book was up front about being part of a trilogy (or however many books are in the series), I would be much happier with it. If the third book, which comes out next month, does not finish off the story, I w ...more
Larry
Most middle books in a planned trilogy suffer from 'no beginning' & 'no resolution'. This book is no exception. This defect is magnified by the vast expanse of Repairman Jack short stories and novels. There is a prequel trilogy to this trilogy and several Jack stories from this period in his timeline.

Readers wanting to enter the Repairman Jack universe, let's call it the Jack-verse, should begin with The Tomb. The Tomb is an exceptionally good novel against which all other Jack novels should
David Agranoff
The middle book in the trilogy of Repairman Jack prequel novels set in the character’s early years in NYC is about how the character became who he is. This novel is great for F.Paul Wilson nerds but it is clearly a fan service. Being that I am a serious fan of this character and world, to say I was happy with it is an understatement. I am not sure this book would have the same effect if you were not a reader with 15 Jack novels in the back of your mind.

That said Dark City is a well plotted crime
Dick
My enjoyment of Wilson's 2nd Early Repairman Jack book was tempered by the fact that I thought that it was one of the last books in the series. I lost my list of the various books when I moved and just started reading this thinking it was what I said.
Jack is more real to me as his character in the later novels. More mystery, horror, fiction and less blood and guts (well, no, not really, but maybe you get my drift.) When the older Jack does bad things, he is usually doing them because the world
Amy Lignor
This, the second installment in a prequel, focuses on the early years of this author’s Repairman Jack series.

With this tale, readers are taken back in time to observe a 22-year-old Jack running from a gang of Dominicans. The angry group has their machetes waving high above their heads, as Jack climbs on top of a moving subway train to get away. In other words, from page one, the action is intense.

It is the early 1990’s and Jack is trying to settle down in New York City. On his way to becoming an
Skip
Dark City (#2 of prequel trilogy) picks up right where Cold City left off. Jack is still: (1) running from the Dominican gang, where he hobbled a fellow landscaper, (2) helping Julio avoid losing the bar to his brother-in-law, con-man Neil Z, and (3) helping thwart a terrorist plot to profit from selling child slaves. Jack is saved miraculously from the Dominican's machete by an unlikely source, and he manipulates Neil into the mistake of his life.
Dave Butler
suffers a bit from middle book syndrome - to be fair some of the plot threads are wrapped up nicely - it has been a long time since i read the tomb and early jack books - but it seems to me that wilson is trying too hard to tie all the big plot pieces from the latter books into these prequels. Hope i remember all the threads, since i now have to wait till november for book 3 to wrap it all up.
Nathan Washor
What a great series I have stumbled into. I have found a new (to me) go to series to read inbetween the doorstop fantasy novels I tend to read. These repairman Jack novels are fast and hard hitting. I'm really liking the diversion.

Better review should be forthcoming, but I need to get some sleep now. I was up much of the night reading.
Tama
Okay, now that I am completely caught up I have to wait until November for the third book! I'm enjoying this intro to Repairman Jack.

This all takes place pre-9/11 and the plot involves Muslim extremists and jihad, so if that subject matter doesn't appeal, this storyline through the trilogy might not be for you. Just FYI.
Craig Todd
It is hard to rate this any higher since it is the middle book in a trilogy.
It had the conclusion of two sub plots that were introduced in the first book.
Jack is still developing his persona, but he is still in the 'gee whiz' state
of being, while the other two main arcs - a secret society, and some mid-east
terrorists with their eye on the twin towers - are still cooking up more and
more background mythology that hasn't really added to the overall Repairman
Jack story.
Since, as with 'Cold City', t
Corey
Thoroughly enjoying the prequels. More so than the last few books of the original series.

Nice to focus on Jack doing regular repairs a lot more than just every. single. thing. connecting to the larger Secret History story line.

Definitely the Jack we all originally fell for.
Michael
What I wrote in my review of the first book in this trilogy, Cold City, applies just the same to the sequel:

Here is what I was hoping for: an origin story about Jack stripped of the big Adversary Cycle plot arc with its conspiracies and supernatural angles. Give me Jack as a plain urban mercenary... There are few things I enjoy reading more than Jack kicking dirt bag butt. And in Cold City, there are some serious dirt bags in need of justice.

However, Dark City suffers as many middle books of tri
John
Book 2 of the trilogy. Only disappointment was that I finished this book and book 3, Fear City is not yet published. Left me with a cliff hanger until the book is released.
Michael Mcnally
Book two of the "Early Years" trilogy delivers with a solid entry and lots of Jack goodness. This is the book where he has figured out what his unique talent is. It loses a star because it reads like the middle third of a 1000 page novel rather than a stand-alone entry.
Tim Healy
I'm enjoying watching the build up to the "full blown" Repairman Jack persona. This book hangs together well, and seems to have a less arbitrary ending point than the first one in this "Young Jack" trilogy. I'm looking forward to starting the third volume, now.
David Marshall
As a fan, this is another excellent addition to the saga but I'm not convinced people reading this as a standalone would think it very good.

Sherry
Great insight into the Repairman Jack character and his development. Lots of action! Can't wait for the next installment.
John
If you are a big fan of Repairman Jack like I am, then you will enjoy this.
Mark
I love Jack. I love this series ... but I was (slightly) disappointed in this book. Too much Muslim terrorists and not enough Jack!

That being said, any book by Wilson is worth reading. He is blessed with a talent for straight-ahead narrative, no frills. Unlike his more famous (???) contemporaries Stephen King and Dean Koontz, Wilson has never fallen into the trap of over-writing with no editor brave enough to do the needed cutting and slap-aside-the-head asking "What are you thinking?"
Jeff Tate
The series is definitely running down, which Wilson readily admits. This second prequel is better than the first, but still seems out of sync with what made the main series great. I still like the Repairman Jack character and he's better in this then the last. I'll finish the last in the prequel trilogy and then be glad to let this series go.
Carl
Yet another example of the greatness of the Repaiman Jack Franchise and its author. Good clean lightning-paced violent dirty fun. I am Sad that Dark City is the penultimate RJ novel, but perhaps we as readers should just celebrate the fact that since the mid 90's we've had 20 plus Repairman Jack books and allow F.Paul Wilson to move on to his next literary venture. On the other hand, we could always push for RJ Graphic novel(s)!
  • Blood Brothers (The Order of the Sanguines, #1.5)
  • Children of the Underground (Children of Paranoia #2)
  • Borrowed Power
  • Callsign: Queen - Book I (A Zelda Baker - Chess Team Novella)
  • The Tenth Circle (Blaine McCracken #11)
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold: Tales of Intrigue from the Cold War
  • Property of a Lady Faire (Secret Histories #8)
  • Carpathian (Event Group Adventure, #8)
  • Good Behavior (Dortmunder, #6)
  • The Chosen Seed (The Dog-Faced Gods, #3)
  • The Concrete Grove
  • Bullettime
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
  • Monster Hunter Nemesis (MHI, #5)
  • Charlie Chan Carries On (Charlie Chan, #5)
  • The Executioner's Heart (Newbury and Hobbes, #4)
  • The Death of a Pope
  • The Doomsday Brunette
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...
The Keep (Adversary Cycle, #1) The Tomb (Adversary Cycle, #2) (Repairman Jack, #1) Legacies  (Repairman Jack, #2) Conspiracies (Repairman Jack, #3) All the Rage (Repairman Jack, #4)