Watcher of the Dark (Jeremiah Hunt, #3)

Watcher of the Dark (Jeremiah Hunt #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A spine-tingling new Jeremiah Hunt dark fantasy thriller.

New Orleans was nearly the death of Jeremiah Hunt, between a too-close brush with the FBI and a chilling, soul-searing journey through the realm of the dead that culminated with a do-or-die confrontation with Death himself.

But when he performs an arcane ritual to reclaim the soul of the magically gifted, beautiful wo...more
Published November 19th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Watcher of the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watcher of the Dark

Mike (the Paladin)
The good news? I've found another UF series that I enjoy greatly.
The bad news? This is the last so far...waiting on another series.

I will be assuming here that if you're looking at a review on this book you have read the first 2 in the series. that means there may be some spoilers for those two books in the body of the review. Be aware of that before you go on...I don't want to ruin the first 2 books for you.

This series started out a little iffy, but it picked up well. The second book ended in s...more
Pure Textuality
If you haven’t read the Jeremiah Hunt series yet, WHY HAVEN’T YOU READ THE JEREMIAH HUNT SERIES YET?!?!?!?!

This is a series that I started out with as a review request I received from Tor Books. Being one of my favorite publishers of urban fantasy, I decided to give King of the Dead (Hunt #2) a shot and they were nice enough to supply me with a copy of Eyes to See (Hunt #1) so I could get caught up. I was instantly hooked. Imagine how psyched I was when the author asked me to give a beta read to...more
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Sammy

Another hit! This addition starts off fast and furious and continues until the end of the book.

By page 16 I was completely sucked in. Loved this:

”I had no idea who these people were, but it was a safe assumption that they didn’t have my best interests at heart; you didn’t kick in a door of a man’s motel room to invite him out for a venti caramel macchiato.”

Hunt has a wonderful sense of humor that I find ironically hila...more
Claire
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Jeremiah Hunt has lots of luck, its just all bad luck. He is a blind man who can see only when completely dark and he is on the run from the law for previous screw ups. Hiding out in a shady motel the last thing Jeremiah expects is a group of supernaturals coming to get him. His first instinct is to run but being blind doesn't help him and he winds up in the supernatural groups care. He is then given a...more
Joshua Burns
As seen on Rabidreads.ca:

Watcher of the Dark furthers the unfortunate story of one Jeremiah Hunt, once a professor of ancient languages at Harvard University and now a man absorbed in the world of supernatural ghostly affairs. Don't worry too much about his former career. There are only a couple of instances in which he can use his ears to pick out what language his abductors might be speaking.

Mostly Hunt is one who uses his eyes or lack thereof. You see due to some Faustian bargaining his vi...more
Stephen
Oh WOW! So Hunt finds himself on the run in L.A. after the events in New Orleans, and in a form of indentured (read blackmailed) servitude to the Master of the City. In typical Hunt fashion he tries to make life as miserable as he can for the people screwing with him while doing the job he has to for them. The Preacher makes a reappearance and is dealt with, at least for the time being. And for me, the ABSOLUTE BEST PART OF THE BOOK...Cade Williams of Nassise's Templar Chronicles makes a cameo g...more
Sean
I just want more... this book was pretty great. Really disorienting at first because of how the last book ended... but good. Very solid play and really just leaves me waiting for the next book, now. Gosh Darnit.
Brian Palmer
A thriller with supernatural trappings, this book concerns itself with Jeremiah Hunt, a man who bargained with supernatural forces earlier in this series for the ability to see things as they are. His magically enhanced vision leaves him blind most of the time, and he's drawn into supernatural disputes.

Like in this book, where, on the run from the FBI, a local warlord in LA's magical community has drafted his services and forced him to help cement the warlord's power. Needless to say, Jeremiah s...more
Melissa
I've read the other 2 books in this series: Eyes to See, and King of the Dead. I enjoyed both and when I was asked to review this one I jumped at the chance. I enjoy these characters but was a bit disappointed that 2 of my favorite side characters weren't in this one as much. There is a reason explained at the end of the second book... so you can see these books are best when read in order. One book does build upon another.

The cover does look like a horror book, but like the other 2 this one is...more
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Jeremiah Hunt has fled New Orleans after doing everything he could to save Denise Clearwater, the beautiful Gifted woman who is now part of his life. He’s hiding out in L.A. until Whisper comes to him and tells him to run. Hunt isn’t fast enough and is captured by Carlos Fuentes, the Magister of L.A. who wants all the power he can grab for himself. He blackmails Hunt into helping him find the pieces of the Key to the Bone Gate, which will open a doorway into Hell. The Preacher also wants the Key...more
On the run from several law enforcement agencies, Hunt winds up in LA -- and is scooped up by the local Magister and pressed into service with a band of unsavory characters.

Watcher of the Dark was another good installment of the Jeremiah Hunt chronicles. This time, the entire story is told from Hunt's POV, which works well.

Again, though I enjoyed the book very much and would recommend it to Urban Fantasy readers, the author leave some story threads hanging that keep a good book from being great....more
Amber Campbell
I have enjoyed this series so far. However there are 3 inconsistencies in the third book that really stood out for me. 1. The FBI agent's name. 2. The car suddenly disappearing when Hunt woke up in Grady's apartment. 3. The time Hunt was supposed to me Denise and Dmitri. Other than these questions, I like this series and the characters.
Jane Doe
Great series, characters, mystery and interesting ending.
Charlene Keene
Charlene Keene marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Deathofrats
Deathofrats marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
David Ward
David Ward marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Nick Noles
Nick Noles marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Liz Zandt
Liz Zandt marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Bryan
Bryan added it
Sep 18, 2014
Joseph Nassise is the author of more than twenty novels, including the internationally bestselling TEMPLAR CHRONICLES series, the JEREMIAH HUNT trilogy, and the GREAT UNDEAD WAR series. He has also written several books in the popular Rogue Angel action-adventure series.

His work has been nominated for both the Bram Stoker Award and the International Horror Guild Award and has been translated into...more
More about Joseph Nassise...
Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1) Heretic (Templar Chronicles, #1) A Scream of Angels (Templar Chronicles #2) A Tear in the Sky (Templar Chronicles #3) King of the Dead (Jeremiah Hunt, #2)