Start by marking “Dancing on the Inside” as Want to Read:
Dancing on the Inside

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Dancing on the Inside

Ever since her grandparents gave her a DVD of Swan Lake, twelve-year-old Jenny Spark has wanted to be a ballet dancer. But on her first day of ballet class, she suffers a crippling panic attack. She's too terrified to practice in front of the other kids, and as for actually performing for an audience? Forget it.Yet Jenny refuses to give up her dream of making dance part of ...more
ebook
Published January 29th 2013 by iUniverse (first published July 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing on the Inside, please sign up.

Glen Strathy No, it has a surprising and quite uplifting ending.

Literary  Chanteuse
A lovely story of Jenny, a young girl who has a desire to learn ballet but struggles with her fear of being in the spotlight. She learns to embrace her inner talent and builds confidence while making new friendships along the way. She easily captures your heart. A must read for inspiring ballerinas!
Kelsey
This is a great book about finding--and fighting to do--something you love, despite the obstacles. Jenny's crippling shyness would make a career like ballet seem out of the question, but she doesn't let it stop her, practicing in secret instead and, for the first time, acting against her parents' wishes. Her unlikely friendship with the bubbly, outgoing Ara works beautifully. I love how "friendship" in this book goes beyond two people with shared interests enjoying each other's company. Ara and ...more
Bluerose's  Heart
"Social phobia: Excessive fear of embarrassment in social situations that is extremely intrusive and can have debilitating effects on personal and professional relationships.

The symptoms and signs of social phobia include blushing, sweating, trembling, rapid heartbeat, muscle tension, nausea or other stomach discomfort, lightheadedness, and other symptoms of anxiety".

I've suffered with social phobia my entire life, so when I discovered Dancing on the Inside was about a young girl with social p
Tillie
Aug 24, 2011 Tillie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute book. It was a very quick read and honestly I couldn't put it down. I relate a lot to Jenny. I was the shy one in junior high/high school. The one who wanted to be great at things, but was afraid to fail. The one who didn't realize the talent I had. I think this is a must read for any teen/pre-teen who is shy and has a dream. The ending of the story was so sweet and I think that ballet really needs to be produced :)
Heavensent1
Oct 25, 2011 Heavensent1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dancing On The Inside is a Children's Book for ages 9 - 12.

Twelve year old Jenny Spark has wanted to be a ballerina since her grandparents gave her a DVD of "Swan Lake". However, Jenny is very shy and suffers from anxiety attacks whenever she is in a crowd.

Hiding under the piano on her first day of ballet lessons, she watches the rest of the kids practice. Rose comes up with a plan so that she doesn't have to participate but can watch and secretly teach herself the moves at home.

When her parents
Diane
Dec 14, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
I read this book all in one sitting. This is aimed at young to mid-teens so it was an easy read for me. The heroine of the story is Jenny, a very shy 12 year old who really wants to dance ballet but discovers that she's too shy, too insecure and has a panic attack at the idea of trying to learn to dance with anyone else watching. She loves ballet so much, however, that she connives a way to be allowed to observe the classes. She takes notes and practices alone at home in secret.

Ara is quite the
Wendy Hines
Dancing on the Inside is a great young adult read. Moving to a new town, Jenny doesn't know anyone. After watching Swan Lake on DVD over and over, Jenny convinces her parents to sign her up for ballet classes. But when Jenny arrives, she's shy and hides under the piano watching the other girls. She goes home and practices what she's watched privately.

Then Jenny strikes up a friendship with Ara, a girl loves to dance but always takes backseat to her sister. Jenny thinks Ara dances beautifully and
Paula  Phillips
Dec 12, 2011 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved Dancing movies and have been a huge fan of films like Centre Stage and Step Up , in a way this book reminded me of Centre Stage 2: Turn It Up as the main character Jenny ever since watching the DVD of Swan Lake has dreamed of becoming a famous dancer , though unfortunately for Jenny she suffers from stage fright- an awful thing when all you want to do in the world is perform in front of thousands of people. Though Jenny faces all these obstacles , she does not let that stop her ...more
Lynda Coker
Aug 16, 2012 Lynda Coker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young Adult Book by Glen C. Strathy

This story written for 'Tweens' is so good that it will transcend that age group. The story plot seems deceptively simple, but it unfurls with complexity. And Jenny is a character you can take into your heart. One that is vulnerable and shackled by her shyness, but who struggles to stay close to the thing she loves most...any way she can. Overcoming pride, guilt, and inadequacy, she moves painstakingly toward her goal. This is my first read by author Glen C. St
Jane(Janelba)
Wow what an amazing book ! I love anything to do with Ballet but this book went beyond that. I loved Jenny and could really relate to her but her friend Ara was the amazing one in this book too who supported her friend and helped her to overcome obstacles. Can't give to much info here or it will spoil it for others. All I can say is this is a book that most people should read !
Joan
Well, going into this I didn't realize that it was probably written for a junior high age girl. With that said, it was a good little read. I recommend it to anyone who wants to inspire their daughter.
Definitely a very strong story, Jenny's the type of girl I can (could) relate to, even if I was never quite as painfully shy. This book is unputdownable, whether you like and are interested in Ballet/Dancing or not.
NormaCenva
Jun 26, 2014 NormaCenva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very nice storytelling for a quiet evening time. I did enjoy the details, and characters were more or less believable. Ballet world was always mesmerizing for me, so I loved the possibility to emerge myself into this interesting world again.
Ayisha
Mar 07, 2014 Ayisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dancing
I really want to read this book ive heard it's awesome
Tracee Loran
Feb 05, 2013 Tracee Loran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute & inspiring book. It's a good read for young girls or anyone who need a boost of confidence and the push to do something they've always wanted to do.
Amanda Macduffee
Great read for Tweens and adults alike. Strong message. Impressive flow.
Kelsey taylor
Jul 11, 2012 Kelsey taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do u like dancing? if u do this book is perfect....if u dont well read it anyway
Madi
Feb 29, 2016 Madi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great and I really enjoyed it because I can relate to the main character. Although, I gave it a four star rating because I think it was directed to towards younger readers. I would definitely recommend it to elementary students and girls that love dance.
Glen Strathy
Jul 28, 2011 Glen Strathy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls ages 9-12.
I wrote this book, so of course I like it. But I would love to know what you think.
Aurelia
Aurelia rated it did not like it
Dec 07, 2011
Carlee
Carlee rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2014
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Clare
Clare rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Keira
Keira rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Lydia M.
Lydia M. rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2011
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Gianna
Gianna rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2013
E.hahn
E.hahn rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2015
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2015
  • Audition
  • The Melting Season
  • Classical Ballet Technique
  • A Dance of Sisters
  • Ellie's Chance to Dance (Royal Ballet School Diaries, #1)
  • Ballet for Drina (Drina, #1)
  • Holding On to the Air
  • Once a Dancer: An Autobiography
  • 101 Stories of the Great Ballets: The Scene-by-Scene Stories of the Most Popular Ballets, Old and New
  • Dancing Through Fire (Portraits, #1)
Glen C. Strathy started writing stories when he was 11 years old and too shy to have a life. He eventually found a life when he started acting in community theatre and met other writers, actors, dancers, and artists. He discovered that the best thing about performing arts (and other arts too) is that they give people more freedom to be who they want to be. After spending time as an actor, teacher, ...more
More about Glen C. Strathy...