Start by marking “Back to the Pilliga” as Want to Read:
Back to the Pilliga

Back to the Pilliga

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A rollicking bush yarn from the bestselling author of Valley of the White Gold and Silver in the Sun.

When a tragedy occurs, Lachlan Sinclair, the son of a wealthy grazing family in the Coonabarabran region, blames his father and renounces any right in his family's property.
Moving to Sydney, Lachlan joins the police force, rising through the ranks to detective-sergeant. Inj...more
Published February 1st 2013 by Allen & Unwin Australia (first published January 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Back to the Pilliga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to the Pilliga

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Tony Parsons, OAM, has worked as a professional sheep and wool classer, a journalist, news editor and rural commentator, a consultant to major agricultural companies, and an award-winning breeder of animals and show poultry. It's this Australian country background that gives his novels, which includes the bestselling The Call of the High Country, their ring of authenticity.

In Back to the Pilliga, Lachlan Sinclair returns to his home town on the North West Plains of New South Wales in pursuit of...more
Kylie Holcombe
I really enjoyed the first section of the book but found after a while the characters weren't very well developed and the storyline got quite egotistical and unbelievable. I really wanted to like this book but it really lost me about half way through.
A nice story about the Australian outback, but not really a crime novel and quite nauseating in all things nice and good towards the end.
Kathy
I must say, I don’t mind a good ol’ country Australian Tony Parsons novel and when I saw his latest book, Back to the Pilliga, it was an automatic buy for me, especially when picking up the cover it looked like I was looking out my own window and was thrilled to see it was set not far from our own bit of Australian country!
This is just an easy, light read and although I enjoyed it, not hugely taxing or page turning. Although I liked Lachie, the main character, I found that having the novel in th...more
Maxine
I have to say that this was a much lighter read than I expected. It certainly wasn't the crime thriller I thought it would be. Although there is some criminal chasing the story is more about relationships. The crime aspect of the novel holds no surprises, no twists and little to keep the reader wanting more. None of the characters are developed to any depth and I found the relationship between Gaye and Lachie very difficult to believe.
Having said that the book is still entertaining enough and is...more
Maureen aka The Scribbly Bark Poet Clifford
Another rollicking yarn from Tony that gets a 10/10 from me.

I liked the twists and turns in this book - a little different from his previous novels in that it has an element of the law enforcer turned private detective who is also a bloke originally off the land and so very comfortable in that environment as well in which he fits like a hand in a glove.

My only whinge would be that the story was too short running at just over 250 pages . I wanted more, more, more but no doubt this will be followe...more
Bec
a bit different from Tony's previous books but i still enjoyed this story of aussie country boy Lachie who after butting heads with his overbearding father and suck up older brother joined the NSW police force and later becoming a private detective which brings him back to his home in the Pilliga Bush. Goes to show you can take the boy out of the bush, but you can't take the bush out of the boy. This book brings lots of the australian country and farm life with a sprinking of romance and lots of...more
Jaye
I wasn't as fond of this book as i have been with previous novels from Tony Parsons. I found that reading it through the eyes of the main character was unusual and bland.
Robyn Coyle
A great story - definitely kept me interested right throughout the book (that's why it's finished already)
Tanya Boulter
Tanya Boulter marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Tracey Clark
Tracey Clark marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Zsófia Kata
Zsófia Kata marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Rachel Berlin
Rachel Berlin marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Tomwhitson
Tomwhitson marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Tony Parsons, OAM, has worked as a professional sheep and wool classer, a journalist, news editor and rural commentator, a consultant to major agricultural companies, and an award-winning breeder of animals and show poultry. He owned his first kelpie dog in 1944, and in 1950 established 'Karrawarra', one of the top kelpie studs...more
More about Tony Parsons...
The Call of the High Country Return To The High Country Valley Of The White Gold Silver in the Sun