Start by marking “Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent” as Want to Read:
Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent

Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children: Becoming a Mindful Parent

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Looking at the next stage of the parenting journey, this is the second book in Sarah Napthali's best selling "Buddhism for Mothers" series.
Published December 1st 2009 by Allen & Unwin Academic (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddhism for Mothers of Young Children

meredith
so so so so good! Such accessible yet profound lessons! It took me ages to read, as I found each chapter - and sub-chapter segments, very dense with poignant lessons, and would need to digest small amounts of text before I moved on (I renewed this book more than once from my library!).

I am dying to read her first book as well. Infact, I'd LOVE to own a copy of both. It's a book I think all mums should have a read of, and a copy of on their shelves, to refer back to when things are rough.

I feel l
K
So this is not a book I would have picked up on my own, for two reasons: first, not being Buddhist, this was not on my radar, and second, I try only to read parenting books by practicing clinical child psychologists. But I am glad I read this book, it was less a book about parenting and more about self care. I found so many of the Buddhist principles reflected a great deal of Christian teaching and for once have a practical understanding of dying to oneself and capturing each thought. I also for ...more
Tiffany Fox
I try not to read too many parenting books (trusting one's instincts is the only legitimate advice) but I couldn't resist this one and I'm glad I gave it a chance. This, along with Lawrence Cohen's "Playful Parenting," have helped make the last few months with my children the best months we've experienced together, and I can feel myself growing as a mother in ways that feel long-lasting. I am learning from the techniques I gleaned from this book to become more observant of my thoughts, to turn f ...more
Demi
What an excellent book for Mothers of toddlers & pre-school children. I truly enjoyed this follow-up to Sarah Napthali's first book, Buddhism for Mothers. Not only was it well written and easy-to-read (which is absolutely essential when you're constantly interrupted by the needs of a young Bub/toddler) but Sarah also included lots of invaluable resources like the mention of Nonviolent Communication, Zen Writing, Zen Drawing and various practical ways to incorporate mindfulness in a busy pare ...more
Anna
My husband went overseas for a while when I was struggling with young children, sleepless etc. Before he left we wrote a list of strategies that I could refer too if I started feeling overwhelmed. Reading Buddhism for mothers - just a little each day - was the first strategy. It was like my Bible! Sarah has written a tonic for the mother's soul with this book. And this second book in the series is my favorite.
Nikki Magennis
Wonderfully down to earth and practical advice on motherhood and a clear introduction to Buddhism. The author draws from Theraveda, Zen and Tibetan schools and lightly sketches an overview of non-self, dukkha and karma among others.
I turn to this kind of book when I'm feeling particularly strung out and/or confused, and it certainly has helped me more than any other 'parenting' book I've found. The approach, ideas and advice are a good way of acknowledging some of the difficulties of mothering
Allison Carter
Beautiful book that makes you refocus and think hard about what parenting is and is all about. As a Christian reading this book I was unimpressed by the little digs at Christianity (which also seemed to come from a naive understanding of what the faith is) but overall I loved this book. It re-energized me, challenged me, and made me really think about what type of parent I am and want to be...and can become. A very nice reminder that this is all so fleeting and goes by so fast that we need to ma ...more
MrsF
I have two boys, the oldest is just turning 6, and both this, and Sarah's original Buddhism for Mothers have completely saved me countless times during the mayhem of mothering. After the birth of my second child, this second delicious serve of parenting comfort, humour, reassurance, and LIGHT on the journey of parenting absolutely renewed my love for being a Mum. A brilliant read for Dads too. As soon as I know anyone's about to have a new bub, I rush to get them copies if both Sarah's books. Li ...more
Amanda
Very refreshing, very calming perspective on parenting. I highlighted so many passages that spoke to me, items that I want to reread and refer back to. I am not a Buddhist, but heard/read good things about this book and I'm glad I gave it a go. So much of it made sense, not just in a parenting sense, but in other aspects of life as well: to try to live in the present moment, to accept yourself and others as they are, to relinquish control. Very thought-provoking and reassuring.
Alison
Great to read a book with the specific audience of mothers (ie caregivers who don't have a lot of time for themselves and have lots of opportunity to become frustrated at the needs of others) about mindfulness and Buddhism. She presents the ways Buddhism can help in a way that doesn't seem unmanageable, time wise or emotionally. She presents the benefits, and other mothers experiences.

A good read.
Sara
I really liked this book. It helped me remember that I need to be in the moment with my kids and to enjoy the small things! I also laughed and enjoyed the stories of other moms who are in the same situation as me. It is not easy being a mom (especially a stay-at-home mom) and I needed this vote of encouragement. I really recommend it for those moms out there with little children!
Seawood
Plenty of good insight. This book is aimed at the toddler to preschool/early school range, so most useful for children from 2-6yo, but the techniques are helpful for every age group.
Kelsey
A helpful and soothing reminder to slow down and focus on what's important during the hectic early days of motherhood, but not much here in the way of original thinking. She uses A LOT of quotes from other people/writers, and personal anecdotes. Might be a good introduction to the likes of Thich Naht Hahn and other authors if you haven't read much about Buddhism.
Christine
Almost as good as Buddhism for Mothers. This one was weighty and though, I loved it, found she struggled to keep the focus on the true purpose of the book. There was so much in this book, deep, important things to think about as both a mother and woman. I think I'll need to sit with it and then read it again to truly digest what she had to say.
Crochet Pam
Absolutely love this book! Really, really helpful in a practical way as well as a great introduction to Buddhist practice. Leaves me wanting more of the same, but will save Buddhism for Mothers of Schoolchildren until I am one, and instead begin working through my list of Napthali's recommended authors :)
Jessica
Fantastic book, full of great information about Buddhism and how it can relate to being a mom. I devoured this book and found myself thinking about it as I went about my days with my son. Highly recommend it for anyone looking for ways to bring more mindfulness to their parenting, Buddhist or not.
Chrissy
This is another great book by Sarah Napthali that still somehow manages to provide additional wisdom for having a Buddhist perspective as a mom. Reading this book is akin to taking a calm pill. When I've turned to this book after a tough day, everything feels a thousand times better!
Ryan Saunders
A absolutely beautifully written book. Every chapter is like a dharma talk (sermon) about an issue or question a parent is faced with. A very relevent book. Even thought the title seems to limit the audience, this is a book for EVERY parent. Very touching.
Marie
I didn't give this book the attention it deserves. It was my commuter read (and I work out of home only 1 day a week, so it took me a long time to get to the end). As I have two young boys, this book really hit home, and I will surely read it again.
Megan
I'm not Buddhist but this book is amazing. It really captures the bitter sweet moments of motherhood. It's taking me forever to read because I keep going back to reread sections that are especially touching. Best book I've read in a long time!
Kate
Loved this! Although... The book I scanned was called Buddhism for Mothers with Lingering Questions.

Thoughtful, peaceful and made me see things in a slightly different way. It's my second time reading Sarah Napthali and I want to read more.
Shauna
I had to return this to the library because it was on hold for someone else. I've really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to finishing it. Reminds me of President Uchtdorf's conference talk.
Angela Wade
Really helped kickstart my journey into mindfulness and got me ready for a more in-depth study of the foundations of Buddhism.

I've read it twice so far and will continue. I learn something new every time!
Robyn
This is an interesting book. I'm not buddhist but find that the way they approach life is fascinating. It's so nice to know that there's a better way of parenting than yelling all of the time :-D
I don't know a lot about Buddhism but I really, really enjoyed this book. I think about it a lot in my every day life. I would highly recommend it for moms.
Jennie Fox
Found a connection to every mother and it is a story of mindful parenting which I strive for every day. Helpful in the exploration of faith with my children.
Marianna
An interesting look at applying Buddhist principles to the mother/child relationship. The chapter on the Eightfold path was very informative.
Dana
Easy to read and had a lot of great insights. Glad I read this one slowly - thanks to the MPMK virtual book club.
Jennifer Miera
I didn't make it all the way through this book, but it was a decent read. I moved on to competing reading topics.
Karen
This book gave me a little oasis of calm and common sense around the hurly burly of parenting my daughter.
  • Momma Zen: Walking the Crooked Path of Motherhood
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Heaven on Earth: A Handbook for Parents of Young Children
  • Fifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your Kids
  • How To Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • The Write Start: A Guide to Nurturing Writing at Every Stage, from Scribbling to Forming Letters and Writing Stories
  • The No-Cry Discipline Solution: Gentle Ways to Encourage Good Behavior Without Whining, Tantrums & Tears
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
  • It's OK Not to Share and Other Renegade Rules for Raising Competent and Compassi
  • Raising Freethinkers: A Practical Guide for Parenting Beyond Belief
  • The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire
  • Playful Parenting
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • Above All, Be Kind: Raising a Humane Child in Challenging Times
Sarah Napthali is a mother of two young boys who tries to apply Buddhist teachings in her daily life. Her working life has ranged from teaching English as a Second Language and corporate training, to human rights activism and interpreting. Since becoming a mother she has focussed on writing, initially for companies and later for individuals wanting to record their memoirs. With seven memoirs compl ...more
More about Sarah Napthali...
Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children The Complete Buddhism for Mothers Buddhism for Mothers of Schoolchildren: Finding Calm in the Chaos of the School Years Buddhism for Parents on the Go: Gems to Minimise Stress Buddhism for Couples: A calm approach to being in a relationship

“I had uncovered a widely held but overlooked attachment: our attachment to the view that every problem must have a solution. We delude ourselves that we can think our way out of a problem or we see it as a matter of finding the right person to advise us. We become beggars for our problems, asking numerous people for an opinion. So often, we refuse to relax until a problem is fixed, only to discover our inability to relax was most of the problem.” 1 likes