Me, Myself and Prague: An Unreliable Guide to Bohemia

Me, Myself and Prague: An Unreliable Guide to Bohemia

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Armed only with a romantic soul and a 1973 guide to communist Czechoslovakia, Rachael Weiss heads off in search of adventure, love and her Bohemian roots in this funny, flippant and fabulous story of her year of living and loving in Prague.
Published March 1st 2008 by Allen & Unwin Australia (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Me, Myself and Prague, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me, Myself and Prague

Monica
I bought this book at an English language book store in Prague. I love memoirs and reading about people's experiences, so it seemed like a perfect fit for me, as Rachael spent a year in Prague. It was a good book, well written. She has a cynical tone at times, but it is a humorous book as well. The book gave me some insight on various things to do in Prague and the surrounding area, which was good. Overall, I definitely enjoyed the book, but mainly I think that is because I am in Prague and expe...more
Vicky
Here is a nice easy book about the post-communist country through the eyes of an Australian. She does not understand where is the customer service, why no one smiling on the street, why elegantly dressed man on a bus trying to steel from her bag? Rachel Weis, who had Czechs' roots, did not pretend to have a life-changing moment in Prague, but to discover a vibrant city with great food, amazing architecture and interesting history.
Alexis
May 06, 2014 Alexis rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alexis by: library shelf
Shelves: nonfiction
When I was abroad in my early 20s, I harbored secret dreams that my travel journals would one day become great pieces of writing that were widely read and appreciated. I have long since come to the realization that, while the journals are extremely valuable to me personally, they’d probably be pretty dull to anyone who’s not as interested in my life as I am.

Me, Myself, and Prague reads much like I imagine my own living abroad journal would read, with better writing and an editor. There were mom...more
Mark Glover
Another city another love story(well for me that is). Cheating on Paris somewhat I also developed a love for Prague in the past few years and having spent a little time in the city was again looking for an author who might open up the city to me. Unfortunately as with Paris English language books(other than straight out historical texts or fiction) on the city are a rarity, therefore I was very pleased to discover a copy of this on the shelves of a charity book store on the Gold Coast of all pla...more
Louise
I like a book that sticks with its thesis and this one does. (It's disappointing to begin an anticipated adventure and find that the title, cover, blurbs, etc. have been misleading.) In this book Rachael Weiss tells who she and her experience of Prague; it is not a travel guide for Bohemia (where it is very difficult to find Bohemians).

Weiss begins with the "I". "The Norma" (a grocery store where her feelings are hurt), her father's apartment (is not "Bohemian", which she would like it to be), t...more
Mandy
Author Rachael Weiss decided to give her life a shake up and live in Prague for a year in her father's apartment. With grand plans to write The Great Australian Novel and live a truly bohemian life, she set out to discover herself and figure out why the Czechs never seem to smile. Me, Myself & Prague is much like the author's year in Prague - rambling and getting nowhere fast. I actually found the last chapter, where she visits Terezin and learns about the fate of her father's family in WW...more
Mimi Amnell
I wasn't crazy about this book in the beginning, but it grew on me. It's the story of a 40-year old Australian woman who goes to Prague for a year to become a writer. Her father is Czech so while there, she discovers her roots. Because I have recently moved to the Czech Republic, it was nice to compare her experienced to my own, although of course our experiences are in some ways very different: she has never seen snow before, for example.

On the whole, the book is a warm, positive tale about a w...more
Dixie
Enjoyed this book since I am living in Prague. Not sure anyone who hasn't lived or visited for a longer visit would enjoy it, although it is an easy read. The author had some "awakenings" into her own life that could apply to non-Praguers :-)

But overall it is what you would expect from the title. A book about someone who decides to pack up and move to an exotic location, not knowing the language nor the culture - all the experiences that brings good and bad and loneliness. With high ambitious -...more
Ms Tlaskal
A very quick read as nothing much happens to the writer (!), and it is written in a very fluent, easy to read style. Having a Czech heritage, I was interested in the details of everyday life in Prague, especially the extraordinary rudeness of the checkout chicks; a rather sad thing for a country to be known for! It is a small pleasant book, with some funny moments and it is a tentative, shy step into the country, which you might like to follow with something a bit bigger and bolder.
This memoir discusses the year the Australian writer spent living in Prague. I purchased it in Prague; it was prominently displayed in a number of the bookstore's English sections. Though certainly not the best written memoir I have read, the author does speak from the heart. I found the tips on various Prague locations one of the best features of the story and I would probably revisit it if I was headed to Prague again and wanted to check out some new spots to visit.
Felicity
I have read a number of travel books, and this one is by far the best of the lot. Weiss's account of her time in Prague reads like part history lesson, part biography, which is great because the history of Prague is so complex and fascinating. I will be in Prague in December on a European tour, and this book lit a fire in me to make the most of the short time I have there. Weiss writes with humour and a touch of cynicism, which is really enjoyable. Must read =)
Kaitlin Rose
I picked up this book at Shakespeare a Synove near the castle in Prague as a souvenir. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, because I understood, sympathized with, and felt like I came to know Rachel. The book was very humorous, and I laughed aloud many times. I also learned a lot of interesting and useful information about the city that I've come to love. I'm already looking forward to my next trip, so that I can use some of my new knowledge!
Heather Richierich
It was a great personal account of becoming an ex-pat in Prague and gave an accurate portrayal of a city that most tourists don't come to understand in their flyby weekends in this beautiful place. Her aim to connect with her lost Bohemian roots were realistic and honest. Her relationships with other expats were funny and also seemed true to life. Anyone who is interested in what the Czech Republic is about would enjoy this book! :)
Sandra
I loved this gentle tale. The writer is so honest and generous in what she shares about herself. I have been an expat myself and it's so reassuring to hear about the loneliness and the way you inevitably end up hanging out with other expats despite all your intentions to explore the culture and meet the locals. I loved her intimate, non-pretentious writing style and subtle humour.
Nicky
I was rather disappointed as there was very little about Prague or its higlights, more a story of her coming to terms with her life and having Czech roots. I kept thinking that it was being written by a younger more naive and suddenly remembering that this woman was over 40. I guess I was hoping for an insiders view of Prague not a Czech 'Eat, Pray, Love'.
Natalie
As an Australian living in Prague I really loved this book. It was easy for me to relate to all the experiences and feelings that Rachael writes about. I can really recommend this book if you are planning on living in Prague for an extended period of time. Its funny, sad, an uplifting in parts. All in all an easy read.
K
I am off to Prague soon, and so was inspired to read this.

I found it a struggle to finish, although I do think it has a solid thoughtful ending.

I daresay there was something about the writer that didn't gel with me and so I didn't enjoy it quite as much as expected.
Melissa
The well-articulated journey of a 40 year old Australian who decides to pack up and move to Prague for a year (her father is from there). From the comedic instructions for maintaining her father’s flat to her overcoming timidity to make friends, she writes lucidly.
Terri
Have finished the book and found it to be a good read. A little like Eat, Pray, Love but includes more history. Rachael gets in touch with her family, the side she never knew much about and in the year that she spends in Prague she finds out more about herself.
Iira
Luin lähinnä virittäytyäkseni niihin maisemiin, joissa ystävä viettää seuraavan vuoden. Weissin kirja sisältää paljon ihanaa triviaa ja myös varmasti paikkansapitäviä havaintoja tsekeistä ja prahalaisista varsinkin. Tälläisiä kirjoja on vaan ihana lukea.
Katja
This was a very funny and charming book about the author’s journey back to her roots in Prague. The writing makes this book a pleasure to read - it's wonderfully sincere, satisfying and enjoyable.
Richard Nicholson
Well, yeah. Interesting maybe for some. I suppose for 'travel literature' it's ok. Bit ho hum in most places but a few interesting flashes or splashes of introspectives.
J
An easy read account of the trials of moving to Prague, navigating everyday life and making friends. If you have been an expat in a foreign country, you may enjoy the book.
Angie
A cleverly written account of a year the author spent living in Prague. It isn't at all a guidebook, but gives a bigger-picture impression of life in the Czech Republic.
Diane
I thought that the information about life in modern day Prague was very interesting but the writing was only okay and I didn't find the author very likeable.
Tracey
While a little slow going and not as well written as other travel stories I have read, the descriptions of Prague and the history was fascinating.
Heather
Awesome, easy to read and I certainly felt like going to Prague after completing this book.
Kerstin Tacke
Heartwarming - and so completely "me"! I simply love this book <3
AJ (Amber)
It ends strongly, but the body of the book is rather bland.
Christine
A very enjoyable read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Rachael Weiss is an Australian author, living and writing in Dublin. She considers her greatest achievement to be her fourth place in the New South Wales Scrabble tournament. Her first two books are Me, Myself and Prague (Allen & Unwin 2008), and Are We There Yet? (Allen & Unwin 2005). -from author's website
More about Rachael Weiss...
Are We There Yet?: Rach and Jules Take to the Open Road