Start by marking “Me, Myself and Prague: An Unreliable Guide to Bohemia” as Want to Read:
Me, Myself and Prague: An Unreliable Guide to Bohemia

Me, Myself and Prague: An Unreliable Guide to Bohemia

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  253 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Armed only with a romantic soul and a 1973 guide to communist Czechoslovakia, Rachael Weiss heads off in search of adventure, love and her Bohemian roots in this funny, flippant and fabulous story of her year of living and loving in Prague.
Published March 1st 2008 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Me, Myself and Prague, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me, Myself and Prague

Monica
Oct 17, 2009 Monica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at an English language book store in Prague. I love memoirs and reading about people's experiences, so it seemed like a perfect fit for me, as Rachael spent a year in Prague. It was a good book, well written. She has a cynical tone at times, but it is a humorous book as well. The book gave me some insight on various things to do in Prague and the surrounding area, which was good. Overall, I definitely enjoyed the book, but mainly I think that is because I am in Prague and expe ...more
Liralen
Weiss describes her year in Prague best, I think, when she calls it a year in which I had no great adventures, nothing happened, I didn't find the love of my life... (316) and yet it makes for a fairly entertaining read. Weiss sets off for Prague at almost 40: her life to date has been relatively uninspiring, and she hopes that in her father's homeland she'll find what she's missing.

She does, and she doesn't. She makes friends, but they're (almost) all expats. She learns some Czech, but not enou
Louise
Oct 12, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like a book that sticks with its thesis and this one does. (It's disappointing to begin an anticipated adventure and find that the title, cover, blurbs, etc. have been misleading.) In this book Rachael Weiss tells who she and her experience of Prague; it is not a travel guide for Bohemia (where it is very difficult to find Bohemians).

Weiss begins with the "I". "The Norma" (a grocery store where her feelings are hurt), her father's apartment (is not "Bohemian", which she would like it to be), t
John
Nov 11, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Started off slowly as "another one of the expats finding her roots (ho hum)" books. However, by the end, which was powerful without being overdone, I hadn't wanted it to end. Forgotten that I read her previous book about a road trip through her native Australia, which I recall having liked. Weiss is very funny, and easy to relate to as a person. Recommended.
Mimi Amnell
I wasn't crazy about this book in the beginning, but it grew on me. It's the story of a 40-year old Australian woman who goes to Prague for a year to become a writer. Her father is Czech so while there, she discovers her roots. Because I have recently moved to the Czech Republic, it was nice to compare her experienced to my own, although of course our experiences are in some ways very different: she has never seen snow before, for example.

On the whole, the book is a warm, positive tale about a w
Vicky
Mar 22, 2009 Vicky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here is a nice easy book about the post-communist country through the eyes of an Australian. She does not understand where is the customer service, why no one smiling on the street, why elegantly dressed man on a bus trying to steel from her bag? Rachel Weis, who had Czechs' roots, did not pretend to have a life-changing moment in Prague, but to discover a vibrant city with great food, amazing architecture and interesting history.
Shuha
May 16, 2016 Shuha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travel Lovers
Recommended to Shuha by: Start typing for auto-complete
Shelves: travel
Sandra
Jul 18, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this gentle tale. The writer is so honest and generous in what she shares about herself. I have been an expat myself and it's so reassuring to hear about the loneliness and the way you inevitably end up hanging out with other expats despite all your intentions to explore the culture and meet the locals. I loved her intimate, non-pretentious writing style and subtle humour.
Zdenek Hadascok
Oct 19, 2014 Zdenek Hadascok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Being myself a Czech expat living in US for over fifteen years, I was curious about experiences of expats from other countries trying to make it in my old country.
This book is on one word EXCELLENT! Light and funny and informative, filled with fresh excitement from discovering new things and experiencing Czech way of life poured straight on the page.
I can attest, based on my experience of being born and living there for 32 years, that everything she wrote is true leave for a couple of minor and
Alexis
May 06, 2014 Alexis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alexis by: library shelf
Shelves: nonfiction
When I was abroad in my early 20s, I harbored secret dreams that my travel journals would one day become great pieces of writing that were widely read and appreciated. I have long since come to the realization that, while the journals are extremely valuable to me personally, they’d probably be pretty dull to anyone who’s not as interested in my life as I am.

Me, Myself, and Prague reads much like I imagine my own living abroad journal would read, with better writing and an editor. There were mom
Mark Glover
May 25, 2013 Mark Glover rated it really liked it
Another city another love story(well for me that is). Cheating on Paris somewhat I also developed a love for Prague in the past few years and having spent a little time in the city was again looking for an author who might open up the city to me. Unfortunately as with Paris English language books(other than straight out historical texts or fiction) on the city are a rarity, therefore I was very pleased to discover a copy of this on the shelves of a charity book store on the Gold Coast of all pla ...more
Costa Kastanis
I liked the writing, and as a travel journal it's really well done. The problem is it was too personal. I didn't find myself really caring too much for the author's gap year. It dipped and dabbed into some themes, such as loneliness and love, but it lacked any real depth to keep me enthralled. It's clearly important to her, but it didn't tell too much about Prague and Czechs other than they are bad at customer service and don't eat too many greens.
Cheri Ellefson
Sep 30, 2014 Cheri Ellefson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love memoirs, and I was delighted to find this gem in Prague after searching for the perfect mix of history + personal journey. Rachel, like myself, is part Bohemian and a writer. I love that she jumped into the culture in Prague and spent an entire year navigating her way through all the ups and downs of living alone in a foreign country. It was an easy, pleasurable read, and it came at just the right time.
Mandy
May 02, 2013 Mandy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Author Rachael Weiss decided to give her life a shake up and live in Prague for a year in her father's apartment. With grand plans to write The Great Australian Novel and live a truly bohemian life, she set out to discover herself and figure out why the Czechs never seem to smile. Me, Myself & Prague is much like the author's year in Prague - rambling and getting nowhere fast. I actually found the last chapter, where she visits Terezin and learns about the fate of her father's family in WW ...more
Mikayla
Jul 24, 2016 Mikayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot write anything about this memoir that will accurately display how much I love it. Rachael is a hilarious, cheeky, clever woman who I want to be best friends with. I quite literally couldn't put this book down.
Kim Brown
This a great book to read if you are traveling to Prague for the first time. I wish I had read it before I went.
Dixie
May 20, 2012 Dixie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book since I am living in Prague. Not sure anyone who hasn't lived or visited for a longer visit would enjoy it, although it is an easy read. The author had some "awakenings" into her own life that could apply to non-Praguers :-)

But overall it is what you would expect from the title. A book about someone who decides to pack up and move to an exotic location, not knowing the language nor the culture - all the experiences that brings good and bad and loneliness. With high ambitious -
Ms Tlaskal
A very quick read as nothing much happens to the writer (!), and it is written in a very fluent, easy to read style. Having a Czech heritage, I was interested in the details of everyday life in Prague, especially the extraordinary rudeness of the checkout chicks; a rather sad thing for a country to be known for! It is a small pleasant book, with some funny moments and it is a tentative, shy step into the country, which you might like to follow with something a bit bigger and bolder.
Jul 04, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
This memoir discusses the year the Australian writer spent living in Prague. I purchased it in Prague; it was prominently displayed in a number of the bookstore's English sections. Though certainly not the best written memoir I have read, the author does speak from the heart. I found the tips on various Prague locations one of the best features of the story and I would probably revisit it if I was headed to Prague again and wanted to check out some new spots to visit.
Felicity
Mar 21, 2010 Felicity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a number of travel books, and this one is by far the best of the lot. Weiss's account of her time in Prague reads like part history lesson, part biography, which is great because the history of Prague is so complex and fascinating. I will be in Prague in December on a European tour, and this book lit a fire in me to make the most of the short time I have there. Weiss writes with humour and a touch of cynicism, which is really enjoyable. Must read =)
Kirsten Hivon
Apr 01, 2015 Kirsten Hivon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit slow to begin with, but I really enjoyed it.
Kaitlin
Jul 25, 2013 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book at Shakespeare a Synove near the castle in Prague as a souvenir. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, because I understood, sympathized with, and felt like I came to know Rachel. The book was very humorous, and I laughed aloud many times. I also learned a lot of interesting and useful information about the city that I've come to love. I'm already looking forward to my next trip, so that I can use some of my new knowledge!
Heather Richierich
It was a great personal account of becoming an ex-pat in Prague and gave an accurate portrayal of a city that most tourists don't come to understand in their flyby weekends in this beautiful place. Her aim to connect with her lost Bohemian roots were realistic and honest. Her relationships with other expats were funny and also seemed true to life. Anyone who is interested in what the Czech Republic is about would enjoy this book! :)
Sallyann Van leeuwen
Details the year of an Australian woman who decides to move to Prague for a year. Is pretty slow going at the start, but does have some fabulous recounts of both Prague and her study of people that made me smile. I particularly liked the final chapter and her realisation of her family tree, where she came from. Really enjoyed the honesty and self deprecating style of the book.
Karen
May 18, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read. I've been to Prague and am of Czech descent, so it appealed to me first on that level but Rachael Weiss is a down to earth, what you see is what you get kind of person and the book was interesting and laugh out loud funny at times. Living in Prague for an extended period of time is a retirement dream of mine. I hope I do it as well as she did!
Nicky
Oct 09, 2012 Nicky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was rather disappointed as there was very little about Prague or its higlights, more a story of her coming to terms with her life and having Czech roots. I kept thinking that it was being written by a younger more naive and suddenly remembering that this woman was over 40. I guess I was hoping for an insiders view of Prague not a Czech 'Eat, Pray, Love'.
Natalie
Jul 08, 2013 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an Australian living in Prague I really loved this book. It was easy for me to relate to all the experiences and feelings that Rachael writes about. I can really recommend this book if you are planning on living in Prague for an extended period of time. Its funny, sad, an uplifting in parts. All in all an easy read.
K
Sep 13, 2008 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, 2008
I am off to Prague soon, and so was inspired to read this.

I found it a struggle to finish, although I do think it has a solid thoughtful ending.

I daresay there was something about the writer that didn't gel with me and so I didn't enjoy it quite as much as expected.
Melissa
Jan 19, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
The well-articulated journey of a 40 year old Australian who decides to pack up and move to Prague for a year (her father is from there). From the comedic instructions for maintaining her father’s flat to her overcoming timidity to make friends, she writes lucidly.
Terri
Aug 13, 2011 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have finished the book and found it to be a good read. A little like Eat, Pray, Love but includes more history. Rachael gets in touch with her family, the side she never knew much about and in the year that she spends in Prague she finds out more about herself.
  • Vroom with a View: In Search of Italy's Dolce Vita on a '61 Vespa
  • I, Migrant
  • Gullible's Travels: The Adventures of a Bad Taste Tourist
  • Oh Mexico! Love and Adventure in Mexico City
  • Sleeping Around: A Couch Surfing Tour Of The Globe
  • My Mercedes is Not for Sale: From Amsterdam to Ouagadougou...An Auto-Misadventure Across the Sahara
  • The Third Wave: A Volunteer Story
  • Lessons in Letting Go: Confessions of a Hoarder
  • Metro Stop Paris: An Underground History of the City of Light
  • You Can't Get There from Here: A Year on the Fringes of a Shrinking World
  • 30 Something and Over It: What Happens When You Wake Up And Don't Want to Go To Work Ever Again
  • I Left My Tent in San Francisco
  • Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo
  • The Carpet Wars: From Kabul to Baghdad: A Ten-Year Journey Along Ancient Trade Routes
  • Band-Aid for a Broken Leg
  • Translations of Beauty: A Novel
  • Off The Rails
  • Time's Magpie: A Walk in Prague
Rachael Weiss is an Australian author, living and writing in Dublin. She considers her greatest achievement to be her fourth place in the New South Wales Scrabble tournament. Her first two books are Me, Myself and Prague (Allen & Unwin 2008), and Are We There Yet? (Allen & Unwin 2005). -from author's website
More about Rachael Weiss...