Start by marking “Kwik Krimes” as Want to Read:
Kwik Krimes

Kwik Krimes

Published August 20th 2013 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about Kwik Krimes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kwik Krimes

Richard Gazala
Aug 23, 2013 Richard Gazala rated it liked it
"Kwik Krimes" is an anthology comprised entirely of (very) short crime stories. By design none of the stories much exceed 1,000 words. Many of them aren't even that long. Editor Otto Penzler's experiment to assemble and present works of fairly extreme brevity without sacrificing consistently high writing quality largely succeeds, as far as it goes. That said, while some of the stories are interesting, none of them are allotted sufficient word count to be truly gripping. This is a collection of ...more
Diane
Apr 07, 2016 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting collection of short mystery and crime stories. I won't go through all of them - there are too many for that - but I will give a quick summary of a few I found memorable:

Michael Coalhouse - a dark, deeply satirical look at what happens when an average man snaps over bureaucratic nonsense. His crime? He left a nonrecyclable bag (used to hold recyclable bottles) in a bin meant for recyclable items only. Therefore, the trash collectors refused to pick up any of his trash at all. Micha
Danielle
Oct 05, 2015 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway

These stories are short and by that I mean really short, each one less that 1000 words, which for many was a relief as even that was too many. While the first story is the quintessential short story with a horrible back drop and a heartbreaking and terrifying end that leaves you satisfied the same can't be said for most of the stories. Many the the stories left me confused or downright annoyed as to where the author was going and never getting to (seriously
Tuxlie
Aug 12, 2015 Tuxlie added it
Shelves: crime

Entire novels are often written about a single crime, detailing every gruesome, dark detail until the last drop of blood spatters across the page. Yet in this mystery anthology, renowned editor and author Otto Penzler weaves together to heart-stopping effect more than ninety tales of brutality, terror, and unexpected demise, with each story told in a swift one thousand words or less.
These crimes may be fast in both form and fallout, but none lack the dark impulses that too often guide human hand

Fábio Fernandes
Jan 25, 2014 Fábio Fernandes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014, crime
I wasn't aware of the existence of this anthology - found it browsing on my Kindle. And what a fine surprise it was: 81 very short stories (which fall into the category of flash fiction, since none of them have more than 1k words) filled with crime, mystery and the occasional suspense. There's even a sprinkling of the historical here - and I'm not talking about the Wild West, which I love and of which there's a small but fair share. There's at least one story who goes way back than the cowboys' ...more
Christine Blachford
Sep 12, 2014 Christine Blachford rated it really liked it
Aside from the forced alliteration in the title, there's a lot to love about this anthology of crime-related short stories. They're seriously short too, varying in length but none above 1000 words. The great thing about short stories is that you get a variety, some you'll like, some you may not. With these super short stories, there's not too much investment either. If it's not your thing, you just move on to the next one.

Most of them were brilliant, though. Tiny tales of genius and horror, crim
Rogue Reader
Jul 24, 2014 Rogue Reader rated it liked it
Penzler's superb eye for mystery proves true with this fine selection of brief mysteries, some as short as two pages. Many familiar authors but the list seems to favor A-N authors, so I suspect a second volume is forthcoming. The extreme focus of these mysteries make for superb reading. Hit Me by Christa Faust is totally alien, The Pledge by Parnell Hall is frightening and Acknowledgements confusing. All well worth the read and fun to pick up and put down, thinking of these short jewels.

--Ashla
Maryellen
Aug 28, 2013 Maryellen rated it really liked it
I received this book as part of the FirstReads promotions - and I'm giving an honest review.

Happily I can say that despite the kind of weird name, I enjoyed most of the flash fiction in this anthology. As someone who doesn't really have the patience to sit still for a full fledged mystery novel, but does enjoy the genre occasionally - I loved short bite sized stories to satisfy that itch.

As typical for an anthology, some stories are more engrossing than others, but I didn't find myself skipping
Kathleen Ryan
Aug 17, 2013 Kathleen Ryan rated it it was amazing
I have a review posted on CriminalElement.com, which I invite you to read:

The anthology is a tremendous nod to the online short crime fiction community. It is quite the challenge, for writers of any caliber, to craft a well-told tale in under 1000 words. Awesome talent exists between the covers of KWIK KRIMES.
Gerard
Sep 15, 2013 Gerard rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The title Kwik Krimes really sums it up, a book full of quick crimes.
I've recently gotten into mystery stories and this book is full of it.
Short stories that will leave you hungering for more without overwhelming you.
I would like to see some of the stories potentially getting their very own book just to flesh out some more detail.

I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Lance Wright
Oct 12, 2013 Lance Wright rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-titles
Nearly all of these 1000-word or less short stories are well-written if not always well-crafted, which, given the caliber of the roster of authors whose work is included here, is a bit disappointing in and of itself. It seems unlikely few of these stories will encourage readers to go out and sample an author's other work, and that's a missed opportunity for all involved.
Cat
Jul 01, 2014 Cat rated it really liked it
I didn't know the premise of this collection; a crime story in 1,000 words or less. it is an interesting challenge and a good introduction to a variety of well known authors in the genre. it is a bit overwhelming at times because of the quick nature of the stories; it is the type of book where, if you have the discipline, a story each day would be best.
Stephanie Bonde
Jan 10, 2014 Stephanie Bonde rated it really liked it
I thought this was a fascinating collection. Some of the stories are absolutely stunning, some had me fully invested, and a few fell a bit flat. I loved seeing the huge range of authors that added pieces to the collection, and I definitely added more than a few authors/books to my to-read list because of this anthology.
Cat.
Aug 29, 2014 Cat. rated it liked it
At first sight, I figured this book to be a sort of grown-up Encyclopedia Brown collection, except by different authors with different characters. But it is not, which would be fine if the stories weren't so dissimilar in skill and mood. There are, in balance, many more good stories than ones I didn't care for, but I wish there had been more consistency.
Tanya
Sep 18, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of short fiction that covers the full gamut of types of crimes and the circumstances in which people commit them. The stories ranged from thrilling to sickening to absurdly humorous. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will be looking to read further works from some of its featured authors
James
This book was exactly as billed - a collection of super-short crime fiction. Given that, it's hard to criticize it. Nothing stands out as being exceptionally good or bad. I wouldn't recommend reading the book straight through, it works better reading a few stories at a time between other reads.
Douglas Jones
Nov 25, 2013 Douglas Jones rated it really liked it
Not bad collection of short short crime fiction. There was some though that I felt were incomplete, and I don't get why this collection is called Kwik Krimes. Quick Crimes is the proper spelling. This is a mystery to me. Oh well.
Andy Plonka
Oct 06, 2014 Andy Plonka rated it liked it
Shelves: src
Short stories are not really my thing and this anthology did nothing to change my opinion. A select number were actually clever, but that number was very small.
Sarah Zareva
Sarah Zareva rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Nancy Hartmann
Nancy Hartmann rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Tom V
Tom V rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Stella Indermuehle
Stella Indermuehle rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Elizabeth Williams
Elizabeth Williams rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2016
Eileen
Eileen rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Deb Oestreicher
Deb Oestreicher rated it it was ok
Feb 22, 2014
Tulay
Tulay rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add contributor 3 23 Jul 23, 2013 01:04PM
  • Reaching for the Moon: More Diaries of a Roaring Twenties Teen
  • The Korean Popular Culture Reader
  • Willy White Wings: Willy White Wings
  • Twins Under the Christmas Tree (Cash Brothers, #2)
  • Elbie's Quest
  • Prism World
  • The Blank Slate Boarding House for Creatives: A Tale of Magic, Manners, and Scandal
  • HUTT
  • Letters from Ruby
  • The Distancers: An American Memoir
  • Buying In
  • Hollow Bones (Caitlyn Tierney FBI Thriller, #3)
  • Homeless at Harvard: Finding Faith and Friendship on the Streets of Harvard Square
  • Remembering America Looking Back at the Last Innocent Age
  • Texts from Bennett
  • Outin (Inner Movement, #2)
  • Mercy Row: A Story of Progress, Crime, Family, and Vengeance
  • Einstein's Unfinished Symphony: Listening to the Sounds of Space-Time
Otto Penzler is an editor of mystery fiction in the United States, and proprietor of The Mysterious Bookshop in New York City, where he lives.

Otto Penzler founded The Mysteriour Press in 1975 and was the publisher of The Armchair Detective, the Edgar-winning quarterly journal devoted to the study of mystery and suspense fiction, for seventeen years.

Penzler has won two Edgar Awards, for The Encycl
More about Otto Penzler...