Angels and Visitations: A Miscellany

Angels and Visitations: A Miscellany

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,070 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A collection of Neil Gaiman's short fiction; an odd assortment of enigmatic and wonderful tales- including Troll Bridge, Chivalry and Cold Colours - to amuse and delight, illustrated by Charles Vess, P. Craig Russell, Jill Carla Schwarz, Michael Zulli, and Rrandy Broecker.
Published November 1st 1994 by Dreamhaven Bks & Art (first published 1992)

Rhiannon
The only reason to pick up this book would be for the illustrations (which are good, it's a nicely put together volume). The best pieces here are reprinted in Smoke and Mirrors, along with some better, later stories. The stories and poems that are unique to this collection read like juvenalia.
M—
In early February of 2007, Gaiman posted an entry in his blog about the break-in of his favorite local bookstore. The owners of the store are friends with Gaiman and asked if he would please tell his blog readers about this and maybe encourage his readers to help out by maybe buying a book. The store, Dreamhaven, has a really nice online catalog, and I used it extensively when collecting my copies of the Sandman.

February is my birthday month, and I hadn't purchased a present for myself yet, so t...more
Rebecca
I always enjoy Neil Gaiman’s writing, so I pretty much knew I would love this one too. His writing is just so clever, so rich, that you can’t help but want to read more.

Angels and Visitations, however, was a little different from the other novels and short stories of his that I’ve read. It is, as the title says, ‘a miscellany’, a collection of literary bits and pieces he has accumulated over the years: poetry, book reviews, stories written for this and that. As such, it was a bit of an odd colle...more
Tracy
'Nicholas Was...." is the best 100 words ever.
Izlinda
There were some stories I've already read.

For the ones I don't recognize/remember reading beforehand:

"Babycakes" - haunting, creepy
"Webs" - an alright story
"Six to Six" - ?
"Prologue" - interesting perspective of prologue
"Cold Colours" - intriguing way technology is portrayed
"Luther's Villanelle" - I love villanelles :)
"Mouse" - So Janice got an abortion and while she was crying about it in bed, Regan slid out of bed saying "I don't have to listen to this. I really don't have to listen to this."...more
Susan
I quite adore the short fiction of Neil Gaiman. If you're interested in seeing/hearing him read his short story "Chivalry" it's one of the extras on the DVD *John Bolton: A Short Film By Neil Gaiman*

re-read 9/14/2013 - 9/21/2013
The Song of the Audience • poem
Chivalry • (1992) ** Love this story !!!
Nicholas Was . . . • (1990) super-short Christmas Anti-Klaus story
Babycakes • (1990) Neil's tongue-in-check "A Modest Proposal"
Troll Bridge • (1993) I read this first in the first RoF Mag
Vampire...more
Paul
Here's how I saw it...
Neil Gaiman goes to his publisher.
"I have all these little bits and pieces stories that I don't know how to properly publish."
"Maybe we can throw them all together in a single volume and see what that gives?"
"Brilliant!"
Just like a cook experimenting with multiple ingredients that normally don't really go together, this book of miscellany incorporates multiple styles of writings into a single blend. In most cases, you get something that doesn't taste or fit together very we...more
Deb Medovich
This is a collections of short stories, essays, poems and...miscellany. There's a little something for just about everyone. (It's amazing to find out how the consumption of alcohol affects the creativity of a writer. Really. Or do I mean funny...) The short stories do what good short stories should do. They kind of leave you hanging and you're never quite sure what just happened. Or what he meant. Or what happens after the stories end. They keep you thinking long after you finish reading them an...more
Tina Edwards
This is Neil Gaiman's first short story collection. It's out of print. It took me forever to get a copy off ebay. They generally get pretty expensive. I lucked out on this one. It didn't get to high. Honestly, his second collection, Smoke And Mirrors is much better. The best of the stories from this book are reprinted in Smoke And Mirrors. So, unless you just want to collect all of his books like I do I don't suggest paying the expensive prices to track this one down. If you come across it at a...more
yoli
Jul 09, 2011 yoli rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Some of these stories were better than others, and I wasn't crazy about the poetry overall, but it was especially neat to hear Gaiman's reasons for including the works as well as their significance at the beginning of the collection. There's a wide variety of styles, and some are illustrated! I think my favorites are his more non-fiction/realistic works, because the allegories and metaphors are often lost on me. Overall, however, I really enjoyed it!
Trin
A very early Neil Gaiman collection, that I think is kind of hard to get now. Most of the short stories have since been reprinted, many of them in Smoke and Mirrors, but what makes this volume cool is that it also contains a few examples of Gaiman's journalism, including a book review he wrote after he lost the book. He mostly ends up talking about peeing in styrofoam cups and elephant come, I believe. A treasure.
Mitch Allan
This was a collection of some really odd works - some fantastic, some not so. I would definitely recommend for any Gaiman fan. Might bit too weird or bitty for someone unfamiliar with his work beforehand, though. Really enjoyable, had some absolute crackers, and stories that will stay with me for a long time. His introduction, explaining how each work came about, and how he feels about them now, is a great addition.
I loved all the short stories - especially "Chivalry," which was really moving - but I was bored by some of the reviews/introductions that were included. Still, I love Gaiman's style; even a short story about a man's obsession with an unreachable Penthouse pet has eerie overtones, and I don't recommend reading "We Can Get Them For You Wholesale" at bedtime, as I unwisely did.
Jennifer Kronk
Feb 11, 2008 Jennifer Kronk rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Tori Amos fans, lovers of fairies and mystery and magic
This was my first Gaiman book. I cannot recommend it highly enough. I had head about Neil Gaiman in Tori Amos songs but I mostly knew about him as a graphic novel artist. This book of short stories blew me away. Magical, funny, scary, everything you want it to be except longer.
craige
I really wanted this book, but it was out of print. So, I contacted a used books dealer and paid $50 for it. As soon as I got it, I immediately regretted getting it. Now I can never get rid of this book since I spent so much on it. Although I do love it and it's a nice hardcover.
Cynthia Egbert
I do love Gaiman. For those who think of Gaiman as a youth writer, be warned, this miscellany is adult in its themes. But this collection contains my favorite Gaiman short story, Chivalry. If anyone else loves the Arthur legends as much as I do, you should read this story!
Dufour
Collection of awesome short stories and poetry from the man that gave you THE SANDMAN that blow the mind. Favorite one in here is "Murder Mystery" which chronicles the first murder of an angel in Heaven and the angel detective assigned to discover the murderer.
Megan
The stories in this were not great, but they did show me much about Neil Gaiman as a young author. It's amazing to see how far he's come - from these fragile little seeds of ideas to the numerous quality stories he gives us today.
Paul
I think this was my first introduction to Neil Gaiman after reading his Sandman comics. I tend to describe his stuff as "Fairy tales for grown ups" (as "adult" gives people the wrong idea too).
erin
I swear I've read this before...maybe I ne'er marked it. Good stories although some of them do leave you with a 'wait what' feeling.
Anne
Not my favorite collection of Neil Gaiman's work (see: 'Fragile Things'), this volume is a hodgepodge of bits I enjoyed & bits I didn't.
April
It's not too hard to guess I like everything Neil does....

Valerie
All of the stories were interesting. My favorite was probably the one studying the effects of alcohol on the writing process.
Serge Pierro
A nice collection of Gaiman short stories and such. Nothing overly profound, though "Troll Bridge" and "Chivalry" stand out.
Wordwizard
Excellent as always. Some stories I found a little more chilling than I tend to like, but Neil Gaiman does that.
Bridgett
I had already read many of these stories, but they were still good stories:) and some were new to me.
Courtney
a few familiar stories and then some other stuff. mostly good, obviously early work. fun stuff.
Will
This is so far my favorite collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman. They are all wonderful.
Cheryl Valentine
Vampire Sestina is amazing! It has a great rhythm and begs to be read aloud.
Jenny
Neil Gaiman's head is a strange, strange place.
Fun, though.
Signature Pages? 1 6 Aug 23, 2008 08:10AM
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • The Empire of Ice Cream
  • Forms of Heaven: Three Plays
  • The Books of Magic, Vol. 7: Death After Death
  • Noisy outlaws, unfriendly blobs, and some other things that aren't as scary, maybe, depending on how you feel about lost lands, stray cellphones, creatures from the sky, parents who disappear in Peru, a man named Lars Farf, and one other story [...]
  • The Book of Ballads
  • Rudyard Kipling's Tales of Horror and Fantasy
  • The Sandman Companion
  • Moonlight and Vines (Newford, #9)
  • Perfect Circle