Start by marking “At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much” as Want to Read:
At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much

At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,077 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
"At Knit's End "captures the wickedly funny musings of someone who doesn't believe it's possible to knit too much and who willingly sacrifices sleep, family, work, and sanity in order to keep doing it. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee has seen it all, from the deadly "second sock syndrome" to a house so full of yarn she can't find her washing machine to desperate all-nighters spent ...more
Published March 4th 2012 by Storey Publishing (first published March 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about At Knit's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Knit's End

Apr 20, 2012 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitting fanatics with severe ADD
Shelves: knitting
Why have I not reviewed this book here? PROBABLY I WAS TOO BUSY WADING THROUGH ALL THE YARN IN MY HOUSE, HAHAHAHA.

Look, I like the Yarn Harlot's cohesive books, though they are kind of a guilty pleasure for me because I don't really relate to them, and thus my consumption of her lifestyle feels more like a voyeuristic semi-mocking. I do knit and produce items, but I'm simply not this type of knitter. However, I still appreciate that she's a little bit crazy about yarn--there are things in my lif
Crystal Starr Light
Feb 02, 2015 Crystal Starr Light rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, ebook
Bullet Review:

The things you find during Amazon's Christmas sales...

This was one of those $1.99 books that Amazon was practically giving during the most recent holiday season. Being a big knitter/crocheter (I don't judge!), I thought, why not?

This is a fun, little booklet with a quote, followed by a brief anecdote, closing with a "lessons learned" tiddly bit. They are pretty light-hearted, goofy, showing the love of knitting and the foibles of having a crazy hobby.

That said, I'm glad I paid only
Bunny
Oct 14, 2015 Bunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a knitter. Self taught, in 2007, while working at a job that had an insane amount of downtime. I love it. I find it relaxing, and love the sound of clicking needles.

I am a bad knitter. I'm a chickenshit knitter. I hate hate hate double pointed needles, knitting in the round, charts, and many other things that I don't understand and am terribly afraid of.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee makes me want to knit. She makes me want to make socks, and shawls, and sweaters. She just makes me want needles i
Kerry
Jun 06, 2012 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short, little snippets about knitting and knitters, At Knit’s End was my first introduction to the Harlot and was enough to get me completely and totally hooked on her writing! I love Stephanie’s humor, wit and insight into the joys and perils of being a knitter. I totally melted when she reported that her husband is knitting her a sock (notice that it is a singular sock, not a pair) which he has been working on veeeeeery slowly for five years and how much she will love and appre ...more
Karen
Jul 24, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading, crafts
I listened to Stephanie read her own book and fell in love with her and her work all over again. I normally won't listen to an author read their own work... usually is a huge FAIL. This was not.
I loved her Canadian accent. I could "hear" her eyes twinkle when she talked about her projects.
I loved the quotes she used at the beginning of each "chapter" and put a number of them "up" on my Facebook page.
Thank you Stephanie. This was Totally a GOOD Read!
Lauren
Aug 26, 2007 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters, those who wish to knit, people without enough obsessions in their lives
This is the book that got me re-obsessed with knitting. I picked it up in a bookstore in Jasper on a whim (I am amused by puns, so the title attracted my attention) while on a ski trip. I read the majority of it during the day-long drive home. Mrs. McPhee has such a way with writing (a clear, but humourous style, in a truely Canadian fashion) that made me really excited about the topic. I'd learned to knit way back when, from my grandmother, and I thought, "hey, I don't know what this "interstas ...more
Leeann
Nov 10, 2007 Leeann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitting fanatics
Shelves: read-in-2007
This was such a cute little book. My dear friend Lindsay gave it to me last year, when my knitting obsession was just in its infancy and the title didn't quite apply to me yet. I picked it up a week or so ago when I ran out of yarn for my current project & got a little twitchy, and it did not disappoint. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is hilarious & the quick little sections are perfect for reading when, say, your hands need a brief rest or your current project is driving you up the wall. Defini ...more
Jessie
Apr 15, 2009 Jessie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. She is witty, intelligent and she knits! What's not to love? Her insights into the mind of a knitter are spot-on. She even comments on her own knitting eccentricities and obsessions in the most funny ways. I will probably read this little gem over and over to remind myself that as one who is a bit knitting-obsessed, I am not alone and I am somewhat normal (as knitters go.) I highly recommend this book to all knitters, but especially those who are a little craz ...more
Nicole
Dec 03, 2011 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's somewhat superficial. I think it was her first book, and I've read later ones that I thought were better, but the problem is that the more of her books I read, the more sameness they have about them. When you get that kind of review from someone who has a long-standing habit of reading every book she can find on a given subject, who is currently into her dozenth or so book about the Tudors, you know you've become pretty tedious.
Purpleholic
Jul 01, 2011 Purpleholic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I laughed myself silly while reading this book. Especially everytime I read something that described me. I would read some parts aloud to my daughter just so we could laugh together.

Some things were informative, they made me think 'Wow! Why didn't I think of that?' or 'Just what I need to try.' but mostly the stories were just enjoyable. I frequenetly was amazed because of how much I agreed or was just like her comments.
Amy
Apr 28, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really funny bits that resonated with me perfectly with a few pages that had me grinning and laughing... but several of the jokes seemed to be told more than once in this book, the "omg I love yarn" was done to death, and I also have to say that I'm perplexed by her digs at crocheters.
Vicki
Mar 11, 2014 Vicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I'm a bit obsessed by the Harlot. I'm currently reading her blog from the beginning - all 10 years of it - and should probably do less reading and more knitting. Just like the blog, some bits of this book made me laugh out loud. I even bought this book in paperback, just so I can start a knitting book collection (which as a Kindle devotee, is unheard of these days). If you love the Harlot, you'll love this book. If you're looking for a traditional knitting book, look elsewhere f ...more
Abisdorf
Cute book. There are things that knitter's just get and this book is one of them. Probably her best book so far.
Moniqueh
Mar 01, 2016 Moniqueh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to knit a few years back, though other things have taken my interest since then.

But I still enjoy Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's humour concerning knitting. I actually enjoyed the format of this book. It's small enough that you can carry it around with you, and easy to pick up and put down due to the fact that each page is a story on it's own. I read a few pages here, put it down to do something, picked it up and read another 3 pages etc. It wasn't like a standard book that you have difficulty
Jenny
I got this book as a gift years ago, read about a third of it, and stuck it back on the shelf, unamused. I'm a knitter, though not one as accomplished or dare I say obsessive as Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. Recently, I thought to pass this book on to a friend who might appreciate it more than me, but before I gave it away I gave it another spin. And just like the first time I read it, I found the first half tough slogging. I was annoyed by what is now, in the age of Ravelry, a cliche -- the ravenous, ...more
Diane
Apr 27, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Knitting finally takes its rightful place on the spectrum of personal obsessions, alongside golfing, fishing, and gardening. The tangled life of the knitter is the subject of inspired nuttiness in these 300 tongue-in-cheek meditations from the self-proclaimed yarn harlot, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.

At Knit's End captures the wicked — and wickedly funny — musings of someone who doesn't really believe it's possible to knit too much, and who willingly sacrifices sleep, family, work, and her sanity on
Hilary
Apr 28, 2012 Hilary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A wonderful little book, full of thoughts, ideas, musings, collective wisdom, and suggestions. (Thanks to my Secret Snowflake!) I've been dipping in and out of it for a while - this isn't a "read straight through" book.

It includes such gems of wisdom as:

"Myriad ways have been devised to help knitters keep track of how many rows they have knit or where they are in a pattern. Some knitters use a row counter; others use a clicker. Many make marks on a piece of paper, and some cross out instructions
Erica Leigh
Mar 22, 2014 Erica Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed my way through much of this delightful little book. There are great quotes, and sweet and funny stories about the quirks of knitters and fiber collectors. I know that I will periodically pick this book up to thumb through it, and think of certain "meditations" when I am knitting or perusing a yarn store or just appreciating the beautiful skeins of yarn that I lovingly buy but never seem to knit. I am so glad I picked up this gem of a book.
Jennifer Johnson
This is Pearl-McPhee's first book, filled with quotes and thoughts on her knitting. As per all of this author's books I was not only nodding my head in agreement, I was laughing out loud. (Which, apparently, makes you look a little crazy while you're on a plane.) The author has managed to point out just how obsessive we are about yarn and is dead on with her classifications of what it's like to be obsessed with knitting. The thing is, even someone who DOESN'T KNIT, but loves a knitter, would app ...more
Marcia
Aug 30, 2013 Marcia rated it liked it
Remember years ago when in a Family Circle or Woman's Day magazine you would read that Isabel Homemaker would be receiving $10 for sending in her household hint and that when you read the hint, you recognized it as something you did all the time? Well, this book reminded me of that. At Knit's End has lots of thoughts and tidbits about knitting and yarn--all of which knitters have probably thought at one time or another. Difference is, Pearl-McPhee wrote them down and published a book.

And just i
Stacy
I listened to this on audio, so that may be skewing my opinion. This may be a much better book if you don't read it cover-to-cover, but rather flip through it for an anecdote/"meditation" as desired. It had Pearl-McPhee's typical humor, but it was very repetitive. I could see it more as a daily calendar than as a book.
Artemisia Hunt
Aug 26, 2016 Artemisia Hunt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there was stand-up comedy for knitters, Stephanie Pearl McPhee would be my comedian of choice. Her witty and self-deprecating observations about knitting and knitters are certainly laugh out loud funny, but at the same time, they are also a loving tribute to the passion that knitters feel for their craft.
Robyn
Dec 31, 2013 Robyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having recently read a collection of Erma Bombeck columns, I realize that the Yarn Harlot is popular with knitters for the same reason Bombeck was popular with moms and housewives. All those things that lead us to think "it can't possibly just be me, right?" these ladies confirm in a gently amusing way. No, you are not alone, no matter what the subject is. This book made me especially frustrated as I finished reading it in the emergency room, and so could not immediately go back to my sock in pr ...more
Silverluna
Jul 27, 2016 Silverluna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knit, I laughed. I even cheered some! This book reminded me that you should NEVER be afraid to be who you are. A knitter who doesn't care what other people think of you, or what you knit with. Well Done! :)
Cheryl
Jan 13, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh out loud often. She knows my life and trials as I live my life addicted to knitting and to buying yarn. A feel good read for any knitter or those who must deal with knitters on a regular basis.
Susan
Nov 21, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really funny, but true, suitable for anyone who knits, crochets or stitches with yarn. if you covet yarn, buy it even though you already have too much, have more than you can use in two life times, this book is for you.
Atlantis
Feb 18, 2015 Atlantis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A cute and witty book about the ups and downs, joys and sorrows of knitting. There are lots of notable life quotes and a ease of listening to this one. A definite must for anyone who knits.
Yarnkettle
Dec 21, 2014 Yarnkettle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute funny little book that lets us knitters know how obsessed we can look to the outside world. I gave it as a secret santa gift for my knitting group. Now I wish I had picked up a copy for me.
Amanda
Jun 12, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting, 2014
I think I would have liked this more if I had read it when it was originally published, instead after years of reading her blog and several later books, as I felt like it was stuff I had already read and in more detail.
Camilla
Mar 13, 2014 Camilla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting-books
This really is just a bunch of meditations - random quotes, thoughts, streams of knitting consciousness. It's interesting and enjoyable, but I don't think it's meant to be read all in one go.
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Folk Shawls
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Scarf Style
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (better known as the Yarn Harlot) is a prolific knitter, writer and blogger known for her humorous but always insightful anecdotes and stories about knitting triumphs and tragedies.
More about Stephanie Pearl-McPhee...

“ I will continue to freak out my children by knitting in public. It's good for them.” 66 likes
“ It is a peculiarity of knitters that they chronically underestimate the amount of time it takes to knit something. Birthday on Saturday? No problem. Socks are small. Never mind that the average sock knit out of sock-weight yarn contains about 17,000 stitches. Never mind that you need two of them. (That's 34,000 stitches, for anybody keeping track.)
Socks are only physically small. By stitch count, they are immense.”
64 likes