Start by marking “Left Drowning” as Want to Read:
Left Drowning

Left Drowning

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  13,182 ratings  ·  1,884 reviews
What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?

Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chri
Published July 16th 2013 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about Left Drowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Left Drowning

Aestas Book Blog

This book was magic! A well crafted story that built slowly and quietly in intensity. Jessica Park's writing is beautifully detailed and painfully honest. Left Drowning sneaks up on you. One moment you're fine, the next moment you can barely breathe.

I was emotionally invested in this story right from the book's dedication. I'm going to share it with you here because it's just so beautiful and truly sets the tone for the entire story:

"This book is for everyone who has survived. You are not b
Lisa

“This is all sorts of fucked up.”

“I know, baby. But the best kind of fucked up.”

Captivating

Gutting

Riveting

Gripping

Emotional

Touching

There were many descriptive words that ran through my mind when I was thinking about how to summarize my feelings towards Left Drowning by Jessica Park. The above is just a fraction of the plethora of emotions that I experienced while reading this book. It was simply earth-shatteringly beautiful and moving.

Chris:

He tastes like eternity, and healing, and completion.
Christy

5 Beyond Incredible Stars!!!

photo 87a2017f-514a-489a-b41e-edee86953a74_zps7d3103f1.jpg

Emotional, beautiful, stunning, shocking, amazing. I am at a loss for words. I have been an avid reader most of my life. All through elementary, middle school, high school, college etc I have been reading several books a week. It’s not a new thing for me. I’m sure in the span of my twenty seven years I have read thousands of books. Maybe a dozen of those books have effected me the way this book did. I wish I could put it into words how I felt while reading this, but
Kristin (KC)
*3 Stars*

Left Drowning is a touching, evocative tale that centers on a fate destined to be fulfilled. It heartbreakingly and heartwarmingly takes us on an emotional journey where life-altering friendships are formed, and painful but beautiful truths are uncovered.

If I'm being honest, I didn't enjoy this story as much as I thought I would, which pains me to admit because I loved Flat Out Love straight down to my toes. Jessica Park's writing is unique and displays such an ease and sophistication.
Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤
What a beautiful story!!
Left Drowning is an emotionally heart wrenching novel about the adverse effects of tragedy on the human spirit..
Reading about two broken people...is hard but I loved that!
It was so intense and beautifully written!

description

"I can't look at myself because I cannot stomach looking at a girl who has so little hope left,who is inexcusably weak.I'm humiliated by my own inability to do better."

The story starts with Blythe,who is at a point in her life where she is "left drowning".She i
Judy
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*

I loved this book!
This is so beautifully written...

Blythe.. A girl so alone, Drowning in depression. What is her life? Nothing...

"What I find interesting, at least from a human-interest standpoint, is that while I am painfully aware of my feelings and symptoms, I’m unable to shake them and move forward. I am stagnant, I guess. Which makes sense given that stagnant is sort of just a synonym for depressed ."

She's lost everything which mattered and its her fault? That's what she thinks.

Now 4 year
Jennifer Kyle

description

Jessica Park brilliantly wrote this novel and had me from the first couple of pages. I’m still wrapping my mind around the complete story, it was truly an experience. The writing was fantastic, the cast of characters were truly unique and the story… was so heartbreaking and uplifting that a full 5 Star rating and a standing ovation is warranted!

I don’t think I’ll give a full description in this review but I’ll say that Sabin, Eric, Estelle and Christopher Shepard were absolutely fantastic. They
Jess-i-ca ~The Gif Witch~
Wonderful! 5 Stars!!

photo 122zp_zps87cb3d96.gif

Ok so if you know me, you know I HATE running in books. It is played out and usually the same boring thing about how she loves running blah blah blah. The running actually worked well in this book and I loved how it was incorporated into the story!! So for this book:
allow photo tumblr_mlybxx1L5l1rcy99do1_500_zps2f4cb9da.gif

So this book starts with Blythe who is drunk and drowning in her sorrows. Her parents are dead and her brother hates her. She is falling and can't deal with life in general.

photo tumblr_mna85550b61s7dgwgo1_r1_500_zps8e4e3839.gif

photo tumblr_lgfbpuPGRC1qb7ikeo1_500_zps8faeb16c.gif

She meets Sabin a spunky guy who bec
Anna
Jul 26, 2013 Anna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Anna by: Christy
5 together we kick heartbreak's ass ~ stars !!!

I
Loved
This
Book

Blythe has mastered the art of melancholy. She has a deep sadness in her. She is drowning in her loss and grief. It has been 4 years since the tragedy and she is still lost.

Chris has scars of his past also and he is non-committal. But the heart wants what the heart wants....sometimes you don't stand a chance against FATE.

He is the past, the present,
♥Rachel♥

Left Drowning started off harmlessly enough and then ripped through ALL of my emotions, bringing me to soaring heights only to crash me down to earth shattering lows!! Jessica Park thankfully left me on a blissful high. Ms. Park, you have done a number on me, and I’m still recovering from the roller coaster ride my heart and mind rode!!

When we first meet Blythe, she’s not putting her best foot forward. She’s coming home, after some college party, in a drunken stupor and barely makes it into he
Ashley
Amy (Foxy)
SIGH

I have star confusion with this book. I loved the writing style but the story didn't do it for me. I'm trying to decide between 3 or 4 stars. I wanted to love this book. In fact in the Spring when I first heard about this book I had predicted this was going to be my EPIC summer read.

description

Everyone seems to love this book and finds it EPIC. Ms. Park has an amazing writing ability that I admire and by no means should you judge your decision to read this book off of my review.

115th book of 2013
★★Daisy Hearts Jethro, Jesse, James, Clay, Daniel & Q ★★

WHAT HAPPENED TO ME AFTER READING THIS BOOK

photo Need-a-Drink.gif

photo tumblr_m7sxrbOddH1qca88y.gif

photo tumblr_m8roo8otsH1qhk6l1havealotoffeelings_zps9c38c785.gif

This book was simply deep, ugly crying, and breathtakingly emotional. I was a utter and total wreck. Bought all my emotions out for good and even horrible reasons. I was so pulled into this story emotionally and mentally it felt like my own heart was breaking, it was ripped out, stamped out, stabbed a few times and tossed in the trash.

photo tumblr_mbfqwuZ8yU1rnhv55.gif

My first book of Jessica Park and it's blew me away!! This author is def one of my favourites.
5+++++ STELLAR ST
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
4.5 ★'s

Blythe has never recovered from a traumatic event that killed her parents and permanently injured her brother four years ago. She carries all the guilt on her shoulders and she can barely keep her head above water. That is, until the day she meets two of the Shepherd brothers, each affecting her in ways she could never imagine, and allowing her to breathe once again.

To start off, I'd just like to say that I wasn't sure I wanted to read this book. First, the title is a bit daunting and eve
Stephanie
This is one of the worst books I've ever read.

Seriously.

I'm not kidding.

Dreadful.

I decided to get this book as a part of Kindle Unlimited. To be fair, this is not my normal read, but it was one of the most popular downloads, I checked it's ratings on goodreads, it had a shit ton of ratings averaging 4.25 and I've read a lot of wonderful books classified as YA, so I said to myself "What the hell." But soon I was asking myself "What the hell??"

Here, enjoy a nugget of shittasitic prose....

“At least
Taryn at My Secret Romance

This review is posted at My Secret Romance

Undoubtedly one of the best books this year! Left Drowning completely captivated me from the beginning to end. It tore me open, slowly fleshing out every fiber and nerve ending from me. It was precise and juicy and done right. And just when I didn't think I could handle another word, I was filled with complete and utter amazement. The seams were sewn shut and I was left feeling riveted by this read. This is Jessica Park at her best. She outdid herself wi
Tessa Teevan
When we first meet Blythe McGuire, she's not living, she's barely existing at a small college in Wisconsin. Still grieving over the loss of her parents in a tragic fire four years ago, she shuts everyone out, spending her time going to class and drinking her nights away. She has an estranged relationship with her brother as she believes he blames her for the loss of their parents, so she is, on all accounts, alone.

Enter the Shepherd family. Y'all, if there's ever a fictional family that I want
Mia
5 stars for an unbelievably beautiful story!

This was my first Jessica Park book and I cannot believe how much I loved it! This story was so much more than just a book; It was a heart breaking journey of family, love, guilt, healing.

Meet Blythe McGuire. 4 years ago, she experiences a tragedy that took away her loved ones, and since then she's been just a shell of the person she once was. She hasn't been living her life, she's just been surviving through it.

She pushes away everyone and lives a lo
Rose
Initial reaction: This book had a lot of caveats to it with respect to elements that I think could've been presented better and fleshed out. I really didn't like the heroine much - whereas the surrounding cast of characters were a little more tolerable, and the fact that the ending came full circle bumped this up to a higher rating than I was initially going to give it.

This is probably going to be a solid 2.5 to 3 stars, depending on how I sort through how to explain what this novel did well and
Jacqueline's Reads
For more reviews, visit - > Jacqueline's Reads

4.5 fully submerged Stars!

Left Drowning not only has a beautiful, title and cover, but an emotionally gripping story of intense love.

Left Drowning is nothing like Jessica Park’s last book I’ve read Flat-out Love and it just amazes me! Sure, the title Left Drowning is a little depressing, but I seriously thought I was going into something light and fluffy and boy was I in for a shock! BUT A GOOD SHOCK Oh Left Drowning is very steamy … yeah I know
Susan
After this paragraph, this is a super-spoiling recap review. Sorry about that. I entirely agree with the New York Times critic A.O. Scott about genre stories and knowing the ending in advance. If a contemporary erotic late young adult novel is your type of book, you’ll like it no matter how much you hear from me ahead of reading it. As for me, the more frustrated I get while reading a book, the more I feel like telling you what crazy things happen in the story. Today I'm also in a life lesson mo ...more
Sarah ❤️ Literary Hottie
FULL, SPOILER FREE REVIEW

photo image_zpsdf1cdef7.jpg

What happens when a broken girl meets a broken boy?.......

......What's happens when piecing the fragments of your past together means you inadvertently break apart someone else's?.......

..and what happens when you are drowning but the person trying to save you is drowning to?.....

photo image_zps7fd19b15.jpg

A mind blowing five star read. A tender, erotic, heart breaking love story about fate, hope, friendship and forgiveness. A story about accepting our pasts and moving forward, about letting p
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
5--EMOTIONAL--Stars!!!

Damn, this book had my emotions all over the place. Jessica Park can tell a story....in a way that sucks you in. You become invested in all of the characters. You feel what they feel--you experience their pain and suffering and sadness...and their happiness and love.

Chris and Blythe. Two people Left Drowning in their own pain. Two people forever connected yet leading separate lives. A chance encounter that unknowingly saves them both. A tragedy that brings them together a
AJ
INTENSE, EMOTIONAL, HEARTBREAKING AND BEAUTIFUL! I LOVED IT!

There are so many books out there with the ‘broken souls coming together’ premise, but there are only a few of those books that made me feel as much as this one did! Just… wow!

When we first meet Blythe she is a complete mess. Drinking heavily and a virtual recluse, she cannot cope with the loss of her parents four years ago, and the trauma that she endured as a part of that. Honestly, I wasn’t even sure I was going to like her at the ve
Catarina
4.5 Sea urchins stars!

I was a fan of Jessica Park since I’ve read “Flat-Out Love” and I started this book knowing that I would probably like it. But this was a surprise. It was a completely different story than what I was expecting and I didn’t liked it… I pretty much loved it! ;)

description

Blythe is broken by her parent’s death. She only has her brother left but their relationship is strained. She bears fears, guilt and sadness that no one understands. She is lonely because she can’t even be herself long
Tessamari ♥Many Waters...♥ ~ Sweet Spot Book Blog
3.5 Stars

I love Jessica Park; I really do. That's why I wanted to read this when it released. However, this wasn't one of those couldn't-put-it-down type book like Flat-Out Love was. It took awhile for the story to get going. I wanted to stop on numerous occasions, but my curiosity got the best of me and so I kept going. I had a feeling the Hero and heroine were connected somehow. As the story unfolded, I formed some of my own theories and in all actually, when everything was all said and done,
Tough Critic Book Reviews
3.5~Stars

If two vaginas could mate; I'd probably just go ahead and have Jessica Park's babies...

Jessica Park knows a lot, but the one thing that she knows better than anyone else is dialogue. It's what made me absolutely fall in love with her in Flat-Out-Love (hence the vagina mating). She's random in a way that makes perfect sense, and she makes me laugh...a lot!

Her fingers form dialogue better than any mouth I'ver heard, and her fingers pleasure better than any mouth I've ever experienced. Wai
Jess - A is for Alpha B is for Books

~ Even when you're drowning and so far under, there is always time to reach for someone who will teach you how to breathe again. ~

I have read some amazing books
Books that capture your attention, entertain you and even break you.
Some books are even more amazing, that they take you to places that you have never been before, somewhere that you never would of expected. Evoking emotions that take a hold of you.

And then there are the books like Left Drowning.
Where every word slowly pierces your heart
Shannon The Show Stopper
I really thought I would love this book but it was just a little better than OK for me. I figured out the plot twists early on and that really took away from the story. I didn't have a strong connection to the characters even though I liked them overall so I was mainly left feeling meh.

Going in to the book I was like this:

Upon finishing the book I was like this:

I listened to it on audio and I have to say the narrator did a fantastic job.
  • Going Under
  • Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness, #2)
  • Fear of Falling
  • Present Perfect (Perfect, #1)
  • In the Stillness
  • Sweet Thing (Sweet Thing, #1)
  • Dangerous to Know & Love
  • The Dark Light of Day
  • Beneath the Burn
  • Painted Faces (Painted Faces, #1)
  • Like Gravity
  • Addicted for Now (Addicted, #2)
  • Freeing Asia (Breaking Free, #1)
  • Don't Make Me Beautiful
  • Watch over Me
  • One Tiny Lie (Ten Tiny Breaths, #2)
  • Emancipating Andie
  • On Every Street (The Artists Trilogy, #0.5)
Jessica Park is the author of the young adult novels FLAT-OUT LOVE and RELATIVELY FAMOUS; five Gourmet Girl mysteries (written as Jessica Conant-Park with her mother, mystery author Susan Conant); and the e-shorts FACEBOOKING RICK SPRINGFIELD and WHAT THE KID SAYS (Parts 1 & 2).

Jessica grew up in the Boston area and attended Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. After spending four years
More about Jessica Park...
Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1) Flat-Out Matt (Flat-Out Love, #1.5) Flat-Out Celeste (Flat-Out Love, #2) Relatively Famous What the Kid Says (and Sometimes What I Say)

“This book is for everyone who has survived. You are not broken. You can love and be loved, despite what may feel like the eternally brutal nature of the world. Even when you're drowning and so far under, there is always time to reach for someone who will teach you how to breathe again.” 73 likes
“It’s smart to end relationships that are poisonous. It’s a good thing. Sometimes you have to cut people out of your life to make things better. So you can move forward.” 49 likes