Start by marking “Black Death: AIDS in Africa” as Want to Read:
Black Death: AIDS in Africa

Black Death: AIDS in Africa

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  5 reviews
To the surprise of many, George W. Bush pledged $10 billion to combat AIDS in developing nations. Noted specialist Susan Hunter tells the untold story of AIDS in Africa, home to 80 percent of the 40 million people in the world currently infected with HIV. She weaves together the history of colonialism in Africa, an insider's take on the reluctance of drug companies to prov ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Black Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Death

Nick Huntington-Klein
A very confused book. On AIDS in Africa, the author seems to have her facts together. Everything else is very odd. And surprisingly, there is a [i]lot[/i] of everything else.

I'm not sure what possessed the author to dedicate the majority of the book to a history of epidemics in general, or even more oddly to a biography of Charles Darwin. I can see how those things are related, but they don't really tell us much of anything that's actually useful. Most of the book is dedicated to this sort of ta
Jennifer Burns
May 09, 2008 Jennifer Burns rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rachel
An easy read put together in an interesting way. The author traces the AIDS epidemic in Africa by combining anthropological, historical, sociological and autobiographical approaches. It inculdes Darwinism, local Ugandans, poverty, colonization and decolonization, and global epidemic(s) history(s). When I first began I thought "ut oh," but as I continued it became very interesting (and easy to jump parts as necessary).
An interesting view of diseases, viruses, and epidemics. It uses fictional characters dealing with the HIV/AIDS epidemic and short commentary of Darwin's voyage on the Beagle and his subsequent as the backdrop, but spends an equal amount of time on the history of other viruses.
Oct 15, 2008 Claire rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to learn the reality of AIDS in Africa.
I read this book while working in an AIDS orphanage in Zambia and it really answered a lot of questions I had lingering in my head. If anyone wants to really understand the plight of AIDS, and poverty in Africa, this is a really good start.
If you want a factual/updated book about AIDS in Africa--this is not it!
Marla marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Kali marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Jeffrey Lowy
Jeffrey Lowy marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Naomi marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Chinomso Amaechi
Chinomso Amaechi marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Kara marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Ashley added it
Apr 24, 2014
Dianne marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Yonas Zelalem
Yonas Zelalem marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Mariska G
Mariska G marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013
Vania marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
AIDS in America AIDS in Asia: A Continent in Peril Who Cares?: AIDS in Africa Elephant Murders | Starbuck Elephant Murders: Justice